HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there anyone you think the Leafs could get from LA if they sign Gaborik?

Old
05-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Drew75

vCash: 500
Is there anyone you think the Leafs could get from LA if they sign Gaborik?

It's reasonable to believe that Gaborik wants to play for LA (the rumour's been there all year). If he signs there, LA may not be able to afford all of the guys they have coming up for contracts, not only this summer, but some are skating into the last year of their deals (jack Johnson, Frolov, Boyle).

I know some may say they're fine financially, but with nearly $34mil on 12 guys, if they sign Gaborik that puts them at minimum $41mil and 10 guys still to sign including Johnson and Frolov going into the last year of his deal.

That may put LA in a position where they need to deal. Do you think we could get Johnson / Bernier / Boyle? Would you take Frolov? If they feel thay have a good shot at Gaborik would they clear room in advance and could their pick this year be available?

Hey - it's still 6 weeks until the Draft ... let the debate rage on!

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:13 AM
HockeyAustralia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
It's reasonable to believe that Gaborik wants to play for LA (the rumour's been there all year). If he signs there, LA may not be able to afford all of the guys they have coming up for contracts, not only this summer, but some are skating into the last year of their deals (jack Johnson, Frolov, Boyle).

I know some may say they're fine financially, but with nearly $34mil on 12 guys, if they sign Gaborik that puts them at minimum $41mil and 10 guys still to sign including Johnson and Frolov going into the last year of his deal.

That may put LA in a position where they need to deal. Do you think we could get Johnson / Bernier / Boyle? Would you take Frolov? If they feel thay have a good shot at Gaborik would they clear room in advance and could their pick this year be available?

Eklund guarantees that Gaborik will don a Kings jersey this October. Personally I wouldnt take notice until his wallet can back up his filthy mouth, but yeh.

The thought of getting JMFJ gives me the horn.

This could be very true, lets hope Burke jumps on this. They definately dont need their 1st rounder this year thats for sure.

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:22 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

I'd be willing to trade for JJ for any 2 the following with a 2nd:

Tlusty, Kulemin, Poni, Stalberg, Stralman.
I'd prefer not to give up 2 LW kids(Stalberg, Kulemin)

Or Grabovski and a 2nd.

If they would be willing to take salary, Kabs for JJ+, maybe a 2nd. But they don't have much need for Kabs.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

I would rather focus on developing our own talent from within, rather then once again trading many assets to get somone another team has developed

Woodman19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Obama

I think we could make an offer for their first rounder this year. They don't really need another top prospect, I think they would prefer a proven player.

Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:37 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post

The Kings are not likely trading a guy like Frolov regardless if the add Gaborik. The Kings offensive talent on the wings already and dealing Frolov would leave them still weak on the wings. Brown and Williams are good wingers but none are near the offensive skills of a Frolov.

Next year the Kings will be shooting for a playoff spot and will definantly add to the payroll. Frolov is a UFA next summer and worse case scenerio they let him walk if they feel they can't afford any longer.

The Kings will be making moves to improve their current squad but not at the expense of their good young players unless they can bring in a top line player to compliment Kopitar and they lose out on Gaborik. JJ and Bernier are both part of the young nucleus moving forward. Boyle's value is not exactly high at the moment but the Kings should be willing to wait it out with this monster of a player.

As for the pick this year, I definantly think it's in play but the Leafs and Kings are not good trading partners. I don't see very much interest in Leafs player, especially if we are talking that 5th overall pick. The Kings may try to dangle that in front of teams looking to deal a top line winger but looking around the league there aren't many available. Most like the Kings keep that pick and hope they can take MSP as they could use some blue chipper on the wing and MSP does have a real serious shot of making the club that drafts him next season.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:39 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post
I think we could make an offer for their first rounder this year. They don't really need another top prospect, I think they would prefer a proven player.
But who? The Leafs have no one on their roster worth a top 5 pick other than Schenn. If the Kings did have interest in Kaberle or Kubina (which they probably don't at this time) they would could use their 2nd rounder and/or maybe one of their defensive prospects (Hickey, Voinov and Teubert).

Old
05-16-2009, 10:42 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post

Or Grabovski and a 2nd.

If they would be willing to take salary, Kabs for JJ+, maybe a 2nd. But they don't have much need for Kabs.
I disagree, I think Kaberle could teach Drew Doughty a lot. If LA signed Gaborik and we traded kabs for JJ I think LA would be incredibly good. A top 6 Western team forsure.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post
I also think LA is done rebuilding and this is the year they attempt to make a serious push for the playoffs ..

Signing Gaborik would be another bit of evidence that would support that.

I think LA would be willing to deal their pick and even some of their prospects. The question is what does Toronto have that they would want?

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:47 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I also think LA is done rebuilding and this is the year they attempt to make a serious push for the playoffs ..

Signing Gaborik would be another bit of evidence that would support that.

I think LA would be willing to deal their pick and even some of their prospects. The question is what does Toronto have that they would want?
Alexei Ponikarovsky could be a player they may be interested in adding to their 2nd line ...... Toronto's 7th overall + Ponikarovsky for LA's 5th overall pick is very reasonable . They would still have enough cap space to throw money at Gaborik (probably $8 million plus maybe a bit lower or a bit higher) . They would be starting the upcoming season with a top 6 forward core of : Gaborik , Kopitar , Brown , Frolov , Ponikarovsky , Stoll . That's a pretty good top 6 if you ask me .

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Alexei Ponikarovsky could be a player they may be interested in adding to their 2nd line ...... Toronto's 7th overall + Ponikarovsky for LA's 5th overall pick is very reasonable . They would still have enough cap space to throw money at Gaborik (probably $8 million plus maybe a bit lower or a bit higher) . They would be starting the upcoming season with a top 6 forward core of : Gaborik , Kopitar , Brown , Frolov , Ponikarovsky , Stoll . That's a pretty good top 6 if you ask me .
I think giving up a 60 point player to move up 2 spots is a little pricey, however if they threw in a 2nd or a 3rd rounder I might bite

Woodman19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:54 AM
sgupca

Quote:
One of the best top 6 in the NHL IMO.

And wait until Dustin Brown has a break-out year. That guy has 40 goals written all over him

It wouldnt surprise me to see Brown score 40 goals and add 25 assist next year with a solid centre and good LW'er.

Old
05-16-2009, 11:08 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post

Or Grabovski and a 2nd.

No, they could never use a top flight defenceman.

What's the big attraction with Jack Johnson anyway? Colaiacovo is better but no one seems to miss him.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:09 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Don't forget Justin Williams

Very capable of being a real good 2nd line winger.

Ponikarosvky is likely the only player on the Leafs roster the Kings might have interest in.

Old
05-16-2009, 11:13 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I disagree, I think Kaberle could teach Drew Doughty a lot. If LA signed Gaborik and we traded kabs for JJ I think LA would be incredibly good. A top 6 Western team forsure.
I just don't see the Kings having much interest in Kaberle right now. As the season progresses that may change but I think the Kings will go with what they have at the moment possibly adding another decent vet to that top 6. If the Kings are on the bubble and have some PP troubles I could see them looking at Kabby just not right now.

Old
05-16-2009, 11:28 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
I just don't see the Kings having much interest in Kaberle right now. As the season progresses that may change but I think the Kings will go with what they have at the moment possibly adding another decent vet to that top 6. If the Kings are on the bubble and have some PP troubles I could see them looking at Kabby just not right now.
I think Kabs is a good option for the Kings, he'll help guys like Kopitar and Brown increase their offensive totals.

And like you've mentioned he'll help one of the worst PP's in the league.

Old
05-16-2009, 11:41 AM
AlMo

Quote:
I think Kabs is a good option for the Kings, he'll help guys like Kopitar and Brown increase their offensive totals.

And like you've mentioned he'll help one of the worst PP's in the league.
No doubt he will, I just see it as a move the Kings could wait on. Maybe they play 25-30 games before they make a move like that. The Kings are definantly going to put higher expectations on the likes of Doughty and Quincey (in terms of PP numbers especially) and maybe the Kings just waiting it out and see what they can do. If they see no improvement after a couple of months then for sure they will look at a Tomas Kaberle.

Old
05-16-2009, 12:38 PM
ugotmybeef*

Why would they just drop talent like that when they're going to try making the playoffs next year.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 12:48 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
No doubt he will, I just see it as a move the Kings could wait on. Maybe they play 25-30 games before they make a move like that. The Kings are definantly going to put higher expectations on the likes of Doughty and Quincey (in terms of PP numbers especially) and maybe the Kings just waiting it out and see what they can do. If they see no improvement after a couple of months then for sure they will look at a Tomas Kaberle.
I don't disagree with that; however, why wait 25 games? I wouldn't take the chance at falling back too far in the Western Standings.

IMO this is the year LA finally needs to make some noise, its been a long enough rebuild IMO.

Another team in the west that could use Kaberle is the Jackets. I really think they need to make a push to land Kaberle or Kubina at the draft.

Do you think we could land Voracek with a package of Kaberle or Kubina + one of our 2nd's?

Maybe we do Kubina + Dale Mitchell for Voracek.

Old
05-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't know of what kind of interest if any LA would have in Pony, but the logic if they did makes sense about a flip of picks under these circumstances. Pony certainly a player Burke wouldn't have a problem dealing away if it gets him closer to the top of the draft.

This gives Burke a lottery pick position TOP 5 and its easier to move up again from there, or at least secures one of the TOP 5 prospects for the Leafs..

If such a move happen I would feel pretty secure that Brayden Schenn would be there at #5 if Burke wants to complete the set.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 01:01 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I don't know of what kind of interest if any LA would have in Pony, but the logic if they did makes sense about a flip of picks under these circumstances. Pony certainly a player Burke wouldn't have a problem dealing away if it gets him closer to the top of the draft.

This gives Burke a lottery pick position TOP 5 and its easier to move up again from there, or at least secures one of the TOP 5 prospects for the Leafs..

If such a move happen I would feel pretty secure that Brayden Schenn would be there at #5 if Burke wants to complete the set.
I'd take Schenn at 5, but i have a feeling MSP would still be there as well.

And i'd rather have MPS than Schenn, we need to draft someone with pure offensive talent.

Old
05-16-2009, 02:09 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
No, they could never use a top flight defenceman.

What's the big attraction with Jack Johnson anyway? Colaiacovo is better but no one seems to miss him.
not for the price we want. It's not worth it for them if they're looking to get in the playoffs. It's not their weakness right now. If your gonna ship out a good defensive prospect, why trade for a ppqb defenseman when your best bluechipper is likely to be better. I know it would mean a better overall defense, but they'd be better off addressing needs when your shopping an asset like JJ. He should become a top pairing defenseman in a year or 2.

Oh and JJ is a little better than Mr. Glass. They hit similar, but JJ usually gets up afterwards.

Old
05-16-2009, 02:10 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I would rather focus on developing our own talent from within, rather then once again trading many assets to get somone another team has developed
I have to agree. I know Burke wants to get good, asap. But I sure hope he doesn't do so at the expense of a lot of draft picks.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 02:14 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
I'd take Schenn at 5, but i have a feeling MSP would still be there as well.

And i'd rather have MPS than Schenn, we need to draft someone with pure offensive talent.
I'm not saying we don't need to draft players with offensive talent, but I sure hope we're not overlooking other aspect to their games, in the persuit of that. Schenn has a lot of game, that makes him just as, if not more valuable than someone like MPS.

That's how I view it, and always have.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 02:16 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Forman View Post
I have to agree. I know Burke wants to get good, asap. But I sure hope he doesn't do so at the expense of a lot of draft picks.
yeah. I trust Burke and the boys will make the right decision in regards to the cost of aquiring players and picks, but I hope he isn't willing to dump a majority of players drafted and aquired before he got here, just cause they aren't his guys, or his type.
I'd also rather only try to move up a few spots, rather than go for top 3, it's way too pricey. we should be shopping Kabs for a mid 1st, and let the scouts pick a great prospect for our team to develop. (schenn and Kassian or Holland sounds great to me!)