HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Lauri Tukonen?

Old
05-16-2009, 10:12 AM
re5piration
'67 til

vCash: 500
Lauri Tukonen?

Whatever happened to him? Do the Stars till own him?

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:01 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafYourLife View Post
Whatever happened to him? Do the Stars till own him?
Nothing ever happened to him, thats the problem! I think he was overrated since the day he was drafted because of the great junior finnish line he played on.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:08 AM
deano

I believe Tampa owns his rights now, but have no idea if he plans on coming back to the US.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Nothing ever happened to him, thats the problem! I think he was overrated since the day he was drafted because of the great junior finnish line he played on.
He was considered to be one of the more NHL-ready prospects out of his draft - some thought more than Ovechkin. But he got hurt a lot, and couldn't keep it together. When he fell in the draft, it was considered a steal.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Talentless Practise*

Tukonen, Korpikoski, Nokelainen all in the first round.. was not a good year to draft a Finn early.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 01:35 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Tukonen, Korpikoski, Nokelainen all in the first round.. was not a good year to draft a Finn early.
I actually really like Korpikoski, but Nokelainen sucks.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

Players are drafted high under the assumption that they will continue in the same development path over 4-5 years. In the case of Tukonen, he was constantly injured and thus was buried in the minors and written off. I'd be doubtful if he came back to NA.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
I must admit I COMPLETELY missed the boat on him and AJ Thelen that draft year. I thought they would turn into quality NHLers.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Qubax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I must admit I COMPLETELY missed the boat on him and AJ Thelen that draft year. I thought they would turn into quality NHLers.
Yah I agree, especially on Thelen, I really liked him..

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
CUBErt

Quote:
As a Finn it felt like that to me all along. I was wondering why these guys were going so high (especially Tukonen) and am not surprised that they have been disappointing so far. Korpikoski and Nokelainen might turn out 'ok' though, but you'd hope to get more from a first round pick.

Then again I also thought Bäckström (the goalie) would bomb completely, so I wouldn't exactly call myself an expert..

CUBErt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:25 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Dallas traded him for Andrew Hutchinson who played in 38 games for them last year and who is under contract for next year.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Qvist

In fairness, that was a year with limited depth, and above all little consensus on who belonged in the firs round. But it's not just that year, what seemed like something of a finnish wave around the turn of the century and the early 2000s appears to have turned out somewhat disappointingly.

In fact, of the 12 Finns who went in the 1st round 1999-2004, and which includes 4 top 10 selections - Koivu, Lehtonen, Pitkanen, Niinimaki, Bergenheim, Toivonen, Tukonen, Korpikoski, Nokelainen, Rita, Ahonen, Ruutu - only one (Koivu) have really developed up to potential.

That is such a staggering failure rate that you wonder if there is some common factor at play here. Unless there was a tendency to habitually overrate finnish prospects (which I strongly doubt), the only thing I can think of is that they mostly went over pretty quickly after being drafted. Perhaps too quickly.

Tukonen - directly to AHL
Korpiskoski - 2 seasons in Finland, then AHL
Nokelainen - 1 season in Finland, then NHL
Lehtonen - 1 season in Finland, then AHL
Pitkanen - 1 season in Finland, then NHL
Niinimaki - 3 seasons in Finland, then AHL
Bergenheim - 2 seasons in Finland, then NHL
Toivonen - 1 season in Finland, then AHL
Koivu - 3 seasons in Finland, then AHL
Ruutu - 2 seasons in Finland, then NHL
Rita - 2 seasons in Finland, then AHL
Ahonen - 2 seasons in Finland, then AHL

Historically, the typical euro success player in the NHL has stayed in Europe, until ready to play regularly in the NHL (usually for at least two seasons), or at least with just very limited AHL time. Only Ruutu and Pitkanen were good enough to establish themselves in the NHL when they came over, but Pitkanen went very soon (and has not developed according to hopes though he is a good player), while with Ruutu injuries have played a large role. It seems indicative that the most successful of them - Koivu - stayed 3 years at home, and played only 67 games in the AHL before establishing himself in the NHL. Also, the most glaring flop relative to expectation - Tukonen - was the one who went over most quickly.

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:40 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

If anyone wants a very lengthy argument on Tukonen from when he was traded from the Kings to Dallas, you can find it here:

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200....html#comments

There was pleanty of people who thought we gave up on him and didn't give him an opportunity to succeed, while the majority thinks he simply didn't make use of his opportunities and had attitude issues that put him out of the Kings' favor.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 03:02 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Let's say that he was a Santa Claus in training... He had all the toys...but no sack...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Me too (Tukonen), certainly after that performance of him at the worldchampionships 2006 where he had like 10 points. Injuries also didnt help. Once he started the season with the Monarchs (AHL) and had 5 goals in the first 5 games. Of course he got injured again and never found that scoring touch again when he returned. That was also the beginning of the end. Who knows what will happen with him, he's still not that old. He was one of the youngest draftees that draft year (sep.1986). He's still 22...

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 05:16 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Korpikoski is going to be a very good player. Think Sami Kapanen type guy.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 05:51 PM
The Maltais Falcon

I remember being shocked when the Thrashers passed over both Tukonen and AJ Thelen for Boris Valabik in the '04 draft. Thank god they did, though. Valabik's not the best player but he's turned out a lot better than either of those two.

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
I believe Tampa owns his rights now, but have no idea if he plans on coming back to the US.
Last season Tukonen could not fullfil the expectations of 1st line winger in Ilves Tampere and moved to Lukko Rauma where he was "ok" in a minor role. His season ended to a knee injury that required a surgery.

He made a 4-year contract with an NHL clause to Lukko and has stated that he will try to claim a spot in a Lightning roster via training camp.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
Last season Tukonen could not fullfil the expectations of 1st line winger in Ilves Tampere and moved to Lukko Rauma where he was "ok" in a minor role. His season ended to a knee injury that required a surgery.

He made a 4-year contract with an NHL clause to Lukko and has stated that he will try to claim a spot in a Lightning roster via training camp.
Thanks for the info. Good to hear Lauri still wants to succeed in the NHL.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
randyc

Come On Over

The Bolts definitely need good young players. I hope he does come over for camp. Maybe he can get his groove back and show signs of that potential. If not, back to Finland. But for both their sakes, I hope he can come back to the NHL.

randyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
WillardJFredricks

If Pierre Maguire ends up getting the Wild GM job he might acquire him, he absolutely loved Tukonen in the world juniors, almost as much as Parise, Crosby and Phaneuf.

WillardJFredricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Korpikoski is going to be a very good player. Think Sami Kapanen type guy.
Sami Kapanen was pretty good scorer at one point in the old NHL. I have a hard time seeing Korpedo equal that. He'll be a solid bottom-6er that's for sure so not that disappointing for 19th overall. Many first rounders fail to become even that. Point was that out of three pretty highly touted Finnish players gone in the first round, none is likely to become an impact player.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

I've not heard anything on Tukonen from any official or non-official Lightning sources, and I believe hes eligible to become a UFA this summer if the Bolts fail to qualify him as a RFA.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 09:56 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Sami Kapanen was pretty good scorer at one point in the old NHL. I have a hard time seeing Korpedo equal that. He'll be a solid bottom-6er that's for sure so not that disappointing for 19th overall. Many first rounders fail to become even that. Point was that out of three pretty highly touted Finnish players gone in the first round, none is likely to become an impact player.
I think he will be a 25 goal, 50 point guy who plays in the top six and can kill penalties.
Since he was great in the defensive end so youngs, it's taken a few years for him to develop the offense.

Last year in the AHL as 21 year old
79GP 23G 50Pts 71PIM

This year 22
AHL 4GP 4G 6Pts
NHL 68GP 6G 14Pts (Made the team based on the speed and defense)

Kapanen at 21
Finland 49GP 14G 42Pts

At 22
AHL 28GP 14G 31Pts
NHL 35GP 5G 9Pts

At 24 Kapanen broke on the scene with24G 63Pts in 81 games. Korpedos following the same developmental path.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
I think he will be a 25 goal, 50 point guy who plays in the top six and can kill penalties.
Since he was great in the defensive end so youngs, it's taken a few years for him to develop the offense.

Last year in the AHL as 21 year old
79GP 23G 50Pts 71PIM

This year 22
AHL 4GP 4G 6Pts
NHL 68GP 6G 14Pts (Made the team based on the speed and defense)

Kapanen at 21
Finland 49GP 14G 42Pts

At 22
AHL 28GP 14G 31Pts
NHL 35GP 5G 9Pts

At 24 Kapanen broke on the scene with24G 63Pts in 81 games. Korpedos following the same developmental path.

Good stuff Fuhr, he's definitely one of my fave NYR prospects in awhile. He's fast, smart, doesnt mind the rough stuff and gets to the net. He should be solid and versatile for many years.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote