05-16-2009, 05:23 PM
kracker1

vCash: 500
Thrashers GM: Kovalchuk staying put

Thrashers GM: Kovalchuk staying put

By Chris Vivlamore
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Saturday, May 16, 2009

General manager Don Waddell [says], unequivocally, Kovalchuk will remain with the team as it attempts to re-sign one of the NHLs elite players. There will be no trade deadline move such as with Marian Hossa if negotiations reach an impasse.

More...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...chuk_news.html

Well, here it is. Chew it over.

I figure they get it done, that the team gets a couple of pretty good new players signed and offers Kovalchuk a good contract. Kovy continues to sound positive about re-signing but only if the team is improved this summer.

Old
05-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Georgia Dawg

I think the key is going to come in a trade of one of our goalies. We will get a good return from Lehtonen or Pavelic. It was be a proven top forward. No prospect.

Old
05-16-2009, 08:35 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
It was be a proven top forward. No prospect.
It will almost have to be a proven top forward. One that will fit somewhere in the top-six. We can't settle for less.

Depending on who we target, we may have to package a draft pick. I would say we send off (again, depending on the target player) a pick no higher than second round.

Old
05-16-2009, 08:59 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
It will almost have to be a proven top forward. One that will fit somewhere in the top-six. We can't settle for less.

Depending on who we target, we may have to package a draft pick. I would say we send off (again, depending on the target player) a pick no higher than second round.
Or it can be a trade w/ a team needing cap relief. Like targeting a Lupul in Philly, for example. The Thrash will still need to get over the cap floor again next season. Hopefully they will bust through it in a big way but for now, we have room to spare. Remember, Kovalchuk's new contract () with it's bigger cap hit won't take effect until the following season.

Old
05-16-2009, 09:31 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I have a bad feeling about this. Anyone who thinks Florida is in a better place because they held onto Jay-Bo is a fool.

Old
05-16-2009, 10:16 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I have a bad feeling about this. Anyone who thinks Florida is in a better place because they held onto Jay-Bo is a fool.
Agreed. If he isn't ready to sign going into the season we had better freaking trade him or risk throwing the season away worrying about whether or not he's going to sign and then taking a huge skill hit when he walks. The Hossa return was great. My guess for as to why they won't trade him is politics- imagine if 5 seasons ago Chipper Jones wouldn't re-sign and we traded him. God forbid upsetting the casual fans.

Old
05-16-2009, 10:45 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
True. But then again, that situation is different from ours. J-Bo made it pretty obvious that he didn't want to be on Florida anymore. Unless you think Kovalchuk is pulling a huge snow job every time he's asked, he wants to stay here and win. Hence the "imrprove the team and I'll sign" sentiments.

Given how great of a player he is and what he means to this team, we'd never get a fair return in trade. On the flip side, it is stupid to just let him walk without getting anything for him; something is better than nothing. Of course, this is obviously the quandary.

With DW, you can never tell if he means what he says; been his MO for a while now. But I kinda like this type of thinking if it's true. The job is constantly improving the future of the team, but you can't do that at the expense of the present. Otherwise, what's the point? I want Kovy to stay a Thrasher for the rest of his career. I'd definitely be terribly disappointed if he goes, but that's the reality of the game nowadays. Teams have lost legit superstars, and still gone on to have success. None of us can say if that would happen for Atlanta or not (unless somebody's got that crystal ball working), but it gives me hope that other teams have lost hugely important players and still done well quickly afterwards.

I'm pretty sure that you don't agree with me on this (probably a lot of others here too), but it's cool. I definitely understand your opinion, believe me I do. Just my two cents, likely worth less than that.

Old
05-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Tommy Hawk

After everything waddell has done and promises made to various players, do you REALLY believe ANYTHING that man has to say?

Old
05-17-2009, 11:18 AM
The Maltais Falcon

What promises has Waddell made to players? I'm not in the know.

I wouldn't read too much into this quote. I see it as just trying to keep the nature of the negotiations positive - for his relationship with Kovalchuk and for the benefit of season ticket holders. There's no sense in throwing down the gauntlet to your star player, especially when he has all the leverage really.

Old
05-17-2009, 11:51 AM
fatschoonerrat

My only hope is we don't pull another 2007. I don't want to see picks and prospects shelled out for another burn-out playoff run. We need to keep growing slowly. The team we had at the end of the season last year was pretty good. I think the team can make a lot of headway without resorting to desperate Tkachuk/Zhitnik type moves.

That said, I'd rather see Kovalchuk traded before the season than at the deadline. I'm all for Ilya Kovalchuk playing his career in Atlanta and retiring his #17 in the rafters, but if there's no contract, DW needs to see what he can get for him.

As others have said, it's like the Florida situation with JayBo. Unless FLA resigns Boumeester, they screwed themselves by not building the farm at the very least. I don't want us to be in that position.

Old
05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Well, they did get Keenaned. That's a brutal thing to do to an already weak organization.

Old
05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
What promises has Waddell made to players? I'm not in the know.

I wouldn't read too much into this quote. I see it as just trying to keep the nature of the negotiations positive - for his relationship with Kovalchuk and for the benefit of season ticket holders. There's no sense in throwing down the gauntlet to your star player, especially when he has all the leverage really.
I know he made promises to players about playing time, etc. Look what happened at the beginning of this past season with Pavalec. He apparently told Pavs that he was going to get a legitimate shot at the starting job.

Old
05-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
I know he made promises to players about playing time, etc. Look what happened at the beginning of this past season with Pavalec. He apparently told Pavs that he was going to get a legitimate shot at the starting job.
...According to Pavalecs agent.

Old
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
I know he made promises to players about playing time, etc.
More detailz plz.

Pavelec has been given legitimate shots at taking the starting job. Too bad he wasn't very good for us last year.

Old
05-19-2009, 02:14 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
...According to Pavalecs agent.
And after the crap he filled Dupuis' head with, I would take Walsh's words with a bag of salt.

Because a single grain just isn't enough.

Old
05-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
More detailz plz.

Pavelec has been given legitimate shots at taking the starting job. Too bad he wasn't very good for us last year.
Kind of disagree. Pavelec was only average when he did get called up however he did out play Hedberg in training camp and in my opinion should of started the season in Atlanta has a result of that.

But then again it would be kind of silly to sign Hedberg to a two-year contract and for him to start the season in the minors.

Old
05-21-2009, 01:59 AM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Kind of disagree. Pavelec was only average when he did get called up however he did out play Hedberg in training camp and in my opinion should of started the season in Atlanta has a result of that.
I was at training camp. I'm certainly not willing to say he outperformed Moose. His only real shot at making the team this year (prior to the season starting and before Kari's back injury) was as back-up, and during the preseason they put him in mid-game to see how he'd react to coming in cold, and he failed miserably. Let in something ridiculous like 5 goals in the 3rd.

During Kari's injury, he was given the absolute best shot any goalie willing to prove himself could ever ask for, and instead of taking it and running, he blew it, over and over again. That #1 job was as good as his if he played well. Hell, he was even back up in the NHL near the end of the season when the team was playing well and he was shown up by another goalie prospect (Varlamov).

I'll be happy once he's out of the organization.

Old
05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Pav blows please get rid of him.

Old
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Pav blows please get rid of him.
He doesn't blow. He's just unproven.

Old
05-21-2009, 11:02 PM
atleternal
Sautee Nacoochee

*Disclaimer I like Kari and would like nothing more than him to be our #1 goaltender.

But, since Sir Kovy has spoken, Waddell has no other options in trading for a centermen, or defensemen, that does not involve trading Kari. Hes publically stated that the only way to advance the team is through a trade. (Hopefully he wont trade draft picks.)

Who other than Kari do we have to trade that has value? Little? No thanks. Bogosian? No thanks. Enstrom? No thanks.

As much as I hate the idea that Waddell is going to be making these decisions, lets just hope he can get us fair value in return for Kari. I hate to see him go, but when you think about it hes our only realistic trade asset (other than draft picks, and our young players)

And you know who

This is my synopsis, flame away, I would love to hear you guys opinions on this.

Old
05-21-2009, 11:44 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atleternal View Post
But, since Sir Kovy has spoken, Waddell has no other options in trading for a centermen, or defensemen, that does not involve trading Kari. Hes publically stated that the only way to advance the team is through a trade. (Hopefully he wont trade draft picks.)

Who other than Kari do we have to trade that has value? Little? No thanks. Bogosian? No thanks. Enstrom? No thanks.
Q: Given that so many teams shedding contracts seem to want prospects in return, how willing are you to part with young players in a trade?

Waddell:
The good thing is we have a lot of good young players. If we had to give up a young player in the right position for the right position player coming back who can help us in the very near future, I'm all for it. I'm not looking to give away any of our young guys and there's not anyone I'm trying to get rid of, so the deal has to make a lot of sense for us.

I'm not opposed to trading a young player if we're getting someone back who is going to be with us for multiple years, even though he's a little older.

Don't be entirely shocked if Waddell trades our 4th overall and Pavelec in order to drop a few spots and pick up a roster player at the same time.

Old
05-22-2009, 09:28 AM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
Don't be entirely shocked if Waddell trades our 4th overall and Pavelec in order to drop a few spots and pick up a roster player at the same time.
Shock? No.
Fear? You betcha.

The last thing Donnie needs to be doing is trading our #4.

Old
05-22-2009, 11:29 AM
kracker1

I'd strongly consider trading down to 7th for Schenn, depending on what else we have to package with the 4th to do it. Pavs or Exelby, ok. One of our 2nd round picks, maybe. It also depends on who DW was "sure" would be available at the 7th pick. That part is worrisome as it reminds me of the 05 draft when DW moved down from 8th to 12th and then moved down again to 16th when, presumably, whoever he wanted at 12 was already gone.

Old
05-24-2009, 08:30 PM
kracker1

UPDATE: Spector Rumor Roundup:

Spector has a source saying that Kovalchuk met w/ DW last week. Spector speculates that Kovy may want a 2-yr deal or so.

http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?...cles&Itemid=55

A short-term deal makes a lot of sense for Kovy and it keeps some pressure on the owners to keep improving the team.

I wonder under what restraints DW can meet w/ Kovalchuk regarding a contract extension? I would assume that explicit dollar amounts and contract details can't be discussed, rather it could be more of a team assessment like "what's it going to take to prove to you that management is serious about improving the team?" Or maybe the length of an extension Kovalchuk would prefer/accept? That would be very helpful for the owners to know.

Old
05-25-2009, 12:15 AM
dj4aces

Or, perhaps, it's Kovalchuk asking who he should try to recruit for the team next year.

Closed Thread