HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Is Nathan Horton worth a High Prospect?

Old
05-16-2009, 05:43 PM
tylerburns

vCash: 500
Is Nathan Horton worth a High Prospect?

Nathan Horton 3.5 million (Last year of contract then UFA) - the gifted power forward is available if the right offer is made. Looking for a high first or top end prospect in any deal.

Do you believe Nathan Horton in the final year of his contract is worth a top 7 pick in the draft or a high end prospect, example Colin Wilson, Jordan Eberle, or Simeon Varlamov?

tylerburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:51 PM
vladdy16

Not from what I've seen.

vladdy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:51 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerburns View Post
Nathan Horton 3.5 million (Last year of contract then UFA) - the gifted power forward is available if the right offer is made. Looking for a high first or top end prospect in any deal.

Do you believe Nathan Horton in the final year of his contract is worth a top 7 pick in the draft or a high end prospect, example Colin Wilson, Jordan Eberle, or Simeon Varlamov?
It depends on the team that takes him. If they expect a top goal scorer, they'll be disappointed, but if they understand he's a talented overall player and a guy who can score around 25 goals, then it might be fair.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:54 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
I can see Edmonton being very interested in bringing him in to play on Gagner's RW.

No idea what Edmonton would part with in the deal though.

Omark and Nilsson?

Eberle is pretty untouchable I think.

--

On further though.... he'll probably get value similar to what Cammy got LA last year.

What was that, 22nd OV for Cammalleri straight up?

Can't see it being much more (or less) than that.... he's basically a 1 year rental.

Edit:

Ignore this. OP said UFA, not 4 years left on his contract.

Last edited by PDO: 05-16-2009 at 08:03 PM.
PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Horton has 4 years left on his contract.

Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:02 PM
El Duderino

Horton's got 4 more years at $4M.

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Cherepanisimov

I'd give a hell of a lot more than a prospect.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:03 PM
El Duderino

I'd love to have Horton on the Canucks too... what do you think would be the asking price?

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
seanlinden

It really depends on the team acquiring him and the quality of the prospect. The teams who will value him the most are the ones who are trying to get better quicker, but can also afford to pay a 2nd line forward $3.5million in salary and $4m on the cap.

Realistically, Florida is one of these teams so they'll problably keep him unless they make a big splash in free agency or take on big contracts through trade. In terms of other teams that should be interested, there are a few that come to mind....

Atlanta - Create some space for Kovalchuk, tons of cap space to work with.
Buffalo - Physical presence in the top 6.
Carolina - Might make some slight changes to their mix up front.
Columbus - Would be a good fit with Nash.
Dallas - Plenty of space.
Edmonton - Again could problably use a top 6 winger with size.
Los Angeles - Same deal as Edmonton
Minnesota
Montreal
Nashville
New Jersey
Islanders
Ottawa
St. Louis
Toronto
Vancouver

However, those teams interest in a player like Horton will fall dramatically after it includes their top prospect. The packages will all be very similar in nature, and prolbably consist of the team's 2nd or 3rd best prospect (a guy who projects to be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman) and something like a 3rd round pick or lesser roster player. First round picks from good teams could be on the table, but nothing more after that.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:37 PM
AK

One top prospect?

Yes, definitely. I think a change of scenery will do him a lot of good.

He'd look good next to Malkin.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:41 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
On further though.... he'll probably get value similar to what Cammy got LA last year.

What was that, 22nd OV for Cammalleri straight up?

Can't see it being much more (or less) than that.... he's basically a 1 year rental.
camellari was part of a three way deal, LA basically gave up him adn the 28th overall for the 12th overall. And the OP is wrong about his contract status, he has 5 years left at a cap hit of 4 mill a season

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
It really depends on the team acquiring him and the quality of the prospect. The teams who will value him the most are the ones who are trying to get better quicker, but can also afford to pay a 2nd line forward $3.5million in salary and $4m on the cap.

Realistically, Florida is one of these teams so they'll problably keep him unless they make a big splash in free agency or take on big contracts through trade. In terms of other teams that should be interested, there are a few that come to mind....

Islanders

However, those teams interest in a player like Horton will fall dramatically after it includes their top prospect. The packages will all be very similar in nature, and prolbably consist of the team's 2nd or 3rd best prospect (a guy who projects to be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman) and something like a 3rd round pick or lesser roster player. First round picks from good teams could be on the table, but nothing more after that.
26th overall?

or Figrin+the isles 3rd rounder?Figrin will probably spend his 1st yr in the ahl next season.Unless he has a great camp and steals a roster spot.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
camellari was part of a three way deal, LA basically gave up him adn the 28th overall for the 12th overall. And the OP is wrong about his contract status, he has 5 years left at a cap hit of 4 mill a season
4 years.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
One top prospect?

Yes, definitely. I think a change of scenery will do him a lot of good.

He'd look good next to Malkin.
Now all that is standing in the way is that darned salary cap thingy.

Captain Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 07:46 PM
twenty2

Flyers should seriously consider making a valuable package deal for Horton and the rights to JayBo.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 07:57 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Flyers should seriously consider making a valuable package deal for Horton and the rights to JayBo.
While I would LOVE to add Horton to our top 6, we just don't have the room nor the cap space to do so. While we could probably put together a package that sends Lupul back the other way, why??? Is the upgrade from Lupul t Horton worth the price we'd have to pay to make the deal work???

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Sure Horton is available if the right offer is made. Just like anyone else. That doesn't mean he's being shopped though. To get Horton out of Florida, Martin would have to be blown away.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 08:31 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
While I would LOVE to add Horton to our top 6, we just don't have the room nor the cap space to do so. While we could probably put together a package that sends Lupul back the other way, why??? Is the upgrade from Lupul t Horton worth the price we'd have to pay to make the deal work???
Well I was kind of just thinking out loud.

This is obviously a pipedream, but humor me for a second.

Briere, JVR, Bourdon, 1st (conditional)

for

Horton, JayBo's rights

- Briere is a #1 center or winger on Florida immediately. It's no question Florida needs offense, and Briere is an offensive weapon. That's his only job.
- JVR is a top 5 NHL prospect powerforward.
- Bourdon is a 2nd round pick from 2008 that has performed well in the Q all season. http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89545
- 1st is probably late teens, early 20s in a draft that apparently "rivals 2003". Don't know how much stock I'd take in that, but it's a 1st rounder. It's conditional on JayBo re-signing.

- Horton is a high pick from 2003 and there's no question of his abilities and physicality. He would obviously be a winger on Philadelphia. He can score and would add to Philadelphia's depth.
- JayBo's rights are JayBo's rights. With Briere gone we could try to sign him to a deal. There would obviously be ramifications to a long-term contract, but at $6.5m he'd replace Briere's long term salary at a position we need it for. Briere is awesome, but we need to bolster the defense. So Flyers in essence trade that salary for a positional need.

Gagne - Richards - Lupul
Hartnell - Carter - Horton
Powe - Giroux - Nodl
Carcillo - Kalinski - Asham
Cote

Timonen - Parent
Bouwmeester - Coburn
Carle - Jones

Obviously that lineup is cap compliant without goaltenders involved, but we'd HAVE to find a new home for Carle and Jones could be waived in order to fit in goalies. It's a stretch and a half, but a nice dream to think about.

Pipedream obviously, but whatever.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 08:33 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Now all that is standing in the way is that darned salary cap thingy.
He'd be well worth the money if he was playing with a top center and scoring 30 and 40 every year.

Old
05-16-2009, 08:39 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Well I was kind of just thinking out loud.

This is obviously a pipedream, but humor me for a second.

Briere, JVR, Bourdon, 1st (conditional)

for

Horton, JayBo's rights

- Briere is a #1 center or winger on Florida immediately. It's no question Florida needs offense, and Briere is an offensive weapon. That's his only job.
- JVR is a top 5 NHL prospect powerforward.
- Bourdon is a 2nd round pick from 2008 that has performed well in the Q all season. http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89545
- 1st is probably late teens, early 20s in a draft that apparently "rivals 2003". Don't know how much stock I'd take in that, but it's a 1st rounder. It's conditional on JayBo re-signing.

- Horton is a high pick from 2003 and there's no question of his abilities and physicality. He would obviously be a winger on Philadelphia. He can score and would add to Philadelphia's depth.
- JayBo's rights are JayBo's rights. With Briere gone we could try to sign him to a deal. There would obviously be ramifications to a long-term contract, but at $6.5m he'd replace Briere's long term salary at a position we need it for. Briere is awesome, but we need to bolster the defense. So Flyers in essence trade that salary for a positional need.

Gagne - Richards - Lupul
Hartnell - Carter - Horton
Powe - Giroux - Nodl
Carcillo - Kalinski - Asham
Cote

Timonen - Parent
Bouwmeester - Coburn
Carle - Jones

Obviously that lineup is cap compliant without goaltenders involved, but we'd HAVE to find a new home for Carle and Jones could be waived in order to fit in goalies. It's a stretch and a half, but a nice dream to think about.

Pipedream obviously, but whatever.
That leaves Florida's D looking a bit suspect, but I think it would be a pretty good hockey trade.

van Riemsdyk-Briere-Booth
Frolik-Weiss-Stillman
Peltonen-Campbell-Stewart
Tarnasky-McLean-Kreps

Ballard-McCabe
Boynton-Allen
Eminger-Skrastins

or something like that.

Old
05-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Acekicker123

Kaberle for Horton straight up.

Fair? If not, what would needed to be added?

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Caniac12

Drayson Bowman or Chris Terry and a First?

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Red Alberks

Definitely not. Pretty average player, IMO. Never been impressed with him at all.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerburns View Post

Given that he has 4 years left, if I was the HABS, I would offer 1st round pick 2009, PK Subban and Halak to get Horton, Boyton and McArdle (minors). If needed be, I would throw in a 3rd round in 2011 or some like that to make the deal. Horton is a very valuable commodity and I do happen to think that big guys take longer to be ready for the big league.

Boyton would bring a leadership presence to the so so Habs D. McArdle will be a good scorer.

That would turn that team around in Montreal by adding two very big bodies with real hockey skills.....

my two cents....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:52 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Given that he has 4 years left, if I was the HABS, I would offer 1st round pick 2009, PK Subban and Halak to get Horton, Boyton and McArdle (minors). If needed be, I would throw in a 3rd round in 2011 or some like that to make the deal. Horton is a very valuable commodity and I do happen to think that big guys take longer to be ready for the big league.

Boyton would bring a leadership presence to the so so Habs D. McArdle will be a good scorer.

That would turn that team around in Montreal by adding two very big bodies with real hockey skills.....

my two cents....
Boynton's a UFA.
So your essentially trading two first round picks (Suban's value is first round IMO) and 1 2nd round pick (Halak) for Horton who scored 45 points this year.

I'd be hesitant to give up a top prospect or a first, it all depends on the teams and how he's gonna bounce back this year. If he scores 20 goals, not impressed, trade value goes down.

JohnHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote