HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Is Nathan Horton worth a High Prospect?

Old
05-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Sargent Pepper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator 786 View Post
Vancouver may be interested.

To Vancouver:

Nathan Horton
Rights to Jay Bouwmeester

To Florida:

Kevin Bieksa
Michael Grabner
4th Round Pick
Rights to Mattias Ohlund

Too little?? Too much?? Help me out here.
I can see Florida interested by with a 2nd round pick in lieu of a 4th round pick.

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:08 PM
lefty2time*

His noted lack of passion for the game kinda scares me. I'd offer Raymond + 1st.

although there would be other teams that probably value him higher and offer more.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Skelator 786*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
His noted lack of passion for the game kinda scares me. I'd offer Raymond + 1st.

although there would be other teams that probably value him higher and offer more.
I don't want to give up our first in such a deep draft.

Skelator 786* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:23 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerburns View Post
Nathan Horton 3.5 million (Last year of contract then UFA) - the gifted power forward is available if the right offer is made. Looking for a high first or top end prospect in any deal.

Do you believe Nathan Horton in the final year of his contract is worth a top 7 pick in the draft or a high end prospect, example Colin Wilson, Jordan Eberle, or Simeon Varlamov?
If this is really a question, I would offer 9th overall and Picard. In reality, however, Horton could get quite a bit more than that.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:35 PM
SouthFLFan79

hmm he isnt even being shopped so what is the point of this? They are only going to move him for a good amount if they get someone overpaying. He played very well at not his own position once he settled in and at the end of the year he played with the "spirit" panthers fans wanted out of him for a while now. They need a center to go with him so they can slide him back to the wing.

some of these offers are absolutely horrid

SouthFLFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:37 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Cats fan here. I don't think its a pipe dream by any means. Sign me up for that deal.
I don't know why PHI would do this though.
Briere is a point per game #1 centre that is capable of scoring 25+ goals. While Horton has never reached more than 62 points in his 5 year career.

JVR is a top five prospect that can potentially be as good or perhaps better than Horton. And then another solid prospect in Bourdon. Also they would have to make a lot of room to be able to sign Jaybo.

JohnHodgson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:40 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLFan79 View Post
hmm he isnt even being shopped so what is the point of this? They are only going to move him for a good amount if they get someone overpaying. He played very well at not his own position once he settled in and at the end of the year he played with the "spirit" panthers fans wanted out of him for a while now. They need a center to go with him so they can slide him back to the wing.

some of these offers are absolutely horrid
Maybe a 45 point season isn't exactly impressive?

Old
05-17-2009, 03:32 PM
SouthFLFan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHodgson View Post
Maybe a 45 point season isn't exactly impressive?
maybe playing a position he doesnt play and being injured through much of the year yet playing isnt impressive?

Maybe he isnt being shopped and the team has said as much repeatedly?

Old
05-17-2009, 03:36 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLFan79 View Post
maybe playing a position he doesnt play and being injured through much of the year yet playing isnt impressive?

Maybe he isnt being shopped and the team has said as much repeatedly?
If you asked me two years ago if he's a worth a top prospect, I would have said yes, but a 45 point season won't get you a top prospect

Old
05-17-2009, 04:20 PM
SouthFLFan79

Quote:
If you asked me two years ago if he's a worth a top prospect, I would have said yes, but a 45 point season won't get you a top prospect
and I am saying that he isnt available to be moved, it makes no sense to trade a top flight talented young player that has proven himself to have good talent and signed to a deal that is equal to his current showing and he has potentials to be far better. On top of that once more he is playing out of position

You need to look at the panthers perspective and from their viewing he isnt an asset they would want to move specially for just a prospect

Old
05-17-2009, 04:35 PM
richardn

To Toronto: Nathan Horton

To Florida: Tomas Kaberle

They have the same cap hit Horton is younger but Kaberle is better. Horton wants out of Florida and Tampa gets a replacement for Bouwmeester.

richardn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post

They have the same cap hit Horton is younger but Kaberle is better. Horton wants out of Florida and Tampa gets a replacement for Bouwmeester.
No he doesn't. Stop listening to the numbskulls on Sportsnet. If he wanted out, he wouldn't have signed a 6 year extension after the 06-07 season. There were runmors that he wasn't happy playing on such a poor team back then and wanted out, but his agent Bobby Orr basically just told him to shut up and work harder. And that summer, he signed a 6 year extension.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:

Without Kaberle the Canadiens' defense is pretty shaky, maybe Tampa can throw in Murphy.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
I don't know why PHI would do this though.
Briere is a point per game #1 centre that is capable of scoring 25+ goals. While Horton has never reached more than 62 points in his 5 year career.

JVR is a top five prospect that can potentially be as good or perhaps better than Horton. And then another solid prospect in Bourdon. Also they would have to make a lot of room to be able to sign Jaybo.

Maybe because they'd be adding a young #1 d-man in J-Bo, as well as young developing power forward who while he hasn't put it all together yet, has still had 30 goal 60 point seasons? And they'd be moving a contract they really don't need on the books in Briere! Seems like a slam dunk IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
That leaves Florida's D looking a bit suspect, but I think it would be a pretty good hockey trade.

van Riemsdyk-Briere-Booth
Frolik-Weiss-Stillman
Peltonen-Campbell-Stewart
Tarnasky-McLean-Kreps

Ballard-McCabe
Boynton-Allen
Eminger-Skrastins

or something like that.
Line combos are horrible!!

I'd rather

Booth-Briere-Frolik
Stillman-Weiss- Repik
JVR-Kreps-Dvorak
Tarnasty-Campbell-Matthias

Ballard-Allen
McCabe-Skrats
Eminger-Ellerby/Garrison

I think Pelt,Boynton,Mclean,and possibly Stewart will be gone and if not Stewart then I think him and Matthias will fight for a roster spot. I've not seen JVR play,so I put him on the 3rd line with Kreps and Dvo,which is a fast line.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:20 AM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Maybe because they'd be adding a young #1 d-man in J-Bo, as well as young developing power forward who while he hasn't put it all together yet, has still had 30 goal 60 point seasons? And they'd be moving a contract they really don't need on the books in Briere! Seems like a slam dunk IMO.
It's "rights".
If Jaybo had to sign PHI would have to free up a lot of cap space They only save 2.5 M off the Briere and Horton swap, but Jaybo will be asking for at least 6-7 M so good luck..

Old
05-18-2009, 01:28 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Heatley, Fisher, and Lee
For
Bo, Horton, 1st

I'd do it, probably saves us salary, and Horton could score 40 with Spezz and Alfie.

Old
05-18-2009, 01:34 AM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
Heatley, Fisher, and Lee
For
Bo, Horton, 1st

I'd do it, probably saves us salary, and Horton could score 40 with Spezz and Alfie.
Wait, you'd give up your second/third line centre along with one of your best young defenseman and one of the best goal scoring machines in the NHL for a draft pick, defenseman's rights, and a struggling power forward that has never reached 62 points?

Old
05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
oilers4life5

Final offer

To Edm-
Horton
pick

To Fla-
Gilbert
Nilsson
Penner

or

To Edm-
Horton + first

To Fla-
Our First and Nilsson

oilers4life5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Caesium

vCash: 50
Quote:

I agree, Kaberle is better, which is why Florida needs to add more to that deal.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
It's "rights".
If Jaybo had to sign PHI would have to free up a lot of cap space They only save 2.5 M off the Briere and Horton swap, but Jaybo will be asking for at least 6-7 M so good luck..
The thought would be that with adding a scoring line winger - a guy like Lupul could be moved for a pick or prospect which would then bring the total salary back in line.

And it's just IMO, but I think that 4 years of Horton have more trade value than 2 years of Kaberle. Kaberle is obviously the better player right now, and more helpful to a serious contender over the next couple of years, but Horton's 2 extra years under contract outweight that IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Bunter McVirtanen

I don't think Horton is Gillis' type of player. He has size and skill, but as mentioned already, he lacks the drive and passion.

Bunter McVirtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
This is what makes me want to destroy this site, posts like this. Horton is a border line first line center at 23, he is a PF who is consistantly around 30 goals wqhen healthy on a low scoring team. He is worth a lot.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:21 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Wait, you'd give up your second/third line centre along with one of your best young defenseman and one of the best goal scoring machines in the NHL for a draft pick, defenseman's rights, and a struggling power forward that has never reached 62 points?
It's a huge risk. I realize that. But Heatley isn't the answer for this team. I guarantee Horton would top 80 points on our top line. If we sign Bo, then that's great. If not, this gives us room to drop about 3-4 mil in salary. Giving us room to sign basically anyone, plus another decent player. Value is off, cap is not. Lee is not going to ever be more than a top 3 D. He's very very good, and I haven't given up on him whatsoever, but he's not really needed. I knew people wouldn't like the value, but I stand by it.

Old
05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerburns View Post
Nathan Horton 3.5 million (Last year of contract then UFA) - the gifted power forward is available if the right offer is made. Looking for a high first or top end prospect in any deal.

Do you believe Nathan Horton in the final year of his contract is worth a top 7 pick in the draft or a high end prospect, example Colin Wilson, Jordan Eberle, or Simeon Varlamov?
I think a team like Ottawa could bring him in for the 9th pick. That might make sense

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote