HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need some opinions on a few things.

Old
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
tobyandmisty

vCash: 500
Need some opinions on a few things.

First issue I have been having recently is that the last few weeks I have been having a difficult time seeing out of my helmet shield. I have the clear one that covers the full face from Itech. When I bought it, the first few times were great, recently it has been fogging up. I use the spray but that is not helping.

My second issue is my stamina. I used to have one of the cheap upper mouth pieces then I bought the one you can attach which I like the feel a lot better but because it is fuller and I am not wondering if I am not getting enough air through my mouth. Again, first it was great now, I am struggling with my stamina. After our game I skated around for a while by mysel with ny helmet off and did not feel as winded. What I think could be happening is the mouth piece may be smearing on the shield and when I put my helmet back on on the bench I know my sweat gets on there as well. I have tried to get it off at that point but it still is unclear.

One thing I had thought of is I may have used Windex on it to clean it and possibly the same rag as the anti fog spray. If that is bad for it, is there a way to clean everything off of it and start the process ove and be more careful?

Thanks.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Pioneer13

Pledge will clean it and will help to prevent fogging. Just spray t on both sides and wipe it off with a non abrasive cloth or paper towel.

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:04 AM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyandmisty View Post
First issue I have been having recently is that the last few weeks I have been having a difficult time seeing out of my helmet shield. I have the clear one that covers the full face from Itech. When I bought it, the first few times were great, recently it has been fogging up. I use the spray but that is not helping.

My second issue is my stamina. I used to have one of the cheap upper mouth pieces then I bought the one you can attach which I like the feel a lot better but because it is fuller and I am not wondering if I am not getting enough air through my mouth. Again, first it was great now, I am struggling with my stamina. After our game I skated around for a while by mysel with ny helmet off and did not feel as winded. What I think could be happening is the mouth piece may be smearing on the shield and when I put my helmet back on on the bench I know my sweat gets on there as well. I have tried to get it off at that point but it still is unclear.

One thing I had thought of is I may have used Windex on it to clean it and possibly the same rag as the anti fog spray. If that is bad for it, is there a way to clean everything off of it and start the process ove and be more careful?

Thanks.
How old is your itech full face shield? I have one as well and haven't had that problem yet. I spray it before every game back and front.

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:35 AM
tobyandmisty

Thanks for the Pledge idea.

My mask is only a few months old.

Old
05-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Stefan It Up

Pledge might be overkill. Something as simple as smearing some soap or shampoo on it before heading on to the ice should do it.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Grittzkey
Foreplay Guru

Use shampoo on the visor.

Switch back to your old mouth piece if its that much of an issue, I havneet used a mouth piece ever. and havent had problems even in fights and scrums w/e w/e. But if you really need the new mouth piece just work through it, you'll get used to breathing with it.

Grittzkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyandmisty View Post
I have the same shield, and I use window/glass cleaner before games. If it gets dirty during (sweat) I put a little water on my towel and wipe it off, then dry with the dry part of the towel. Works great for me.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:15 PM
tobyandmisty

Played Sunday morning with my cheaper mouth piece and that helped a lot. I was able to get the air in I needed.

As far as the shield, I decided to Pledge it. I was happy for a while. It seemed to not smear as much as it did in the past but for some reason more towards the end of playing, it became hard to see out of again. I cannot figure out what it is about time that changes my ability to see out of it.