HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor-Lupul/Briere + top prospect for Price, rights to Komisarek & more on Luongo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2009, 10:48 AM
  #226
Mo0sE
Registered User
 
Mo0sE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mo0sE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Montreal and Caps game 7 last year weren't pressure?
Great Point. I have said this before and I will say it again. I do not think Biron is the main the problem. I would like to see him back, but not at a 4-5 year deal he is looking for. IMO, Our defense lacked physical play this past season whereas in the ECF year we had more guys who would hit. This year we basically had Alberts on Defense who would hit/clear the crease. I am not saying go out and get trees on defense, but 1 or 2 physical defensemen could not hurt. When you have players that can just stand in front of the net or go in the zone and set up low with out paying a price physically.... I dont care who the hell is in goal..pucks will go in the net.

Mo0sE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 01:42 PM
  #227
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 34,337
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Did you watch his play this season with the Flyers? His poise and composure for an 18-year old was marvelous.

Sbisa is good in his on end, smart, and his nice offensive instincts. He also has a knack for surprising people in open ice, like Kronwall does.

His making the team in Philly out of camp was no gift, he earned it.

There were games this season where he was one of the best Flyers on the ice. He struck me as a special player.
if Ryan Parent and Randy Jones had not gotten hurt in the preseason Sbisa would have been in junior hockey this past season. I am not going to argue he did play well for the most part but before he got sent back to junior hockey he started to show his age.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 04:54 PM
  #228
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
#NoHonorForConnor
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 21,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
if Ryan Parent and Randy Jones had not gotten hurt in the preseason Sbisa would have been in junior hockey this past season. I am not going to argue he did play well for the most part but before he got sent back to junior hockey he started to show his age.
I agree about the beginning but I have to say the part about showing his age is partially right but IMO the main contributer was that their was no room for him and it was no use for him to sit in the pressbox.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
  #229
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Did you watch his play this season with the Flyers? His poise and composure for an 18-year old was marvelous.

Sbisa is good in his on end, smart, and his nice offensive instincts. He also has a knack for surprising people in open ice, like Kronwall does.

His making the team in Philly out of camp was no gift, he earned it.

There were games this season where he was one of the best Flyers on the ice. He struck me as a special player.
if he was no good as you say then way did they send him back? because he was overmatched is why. he wa sok for a very short period. he shoudl have been sent back to juniors in the first place. he was not ready to play in the nhl. i will bet you he doesnt make the top6 next year to start. not sure if he is eligible for the phantoms or nto. if he isnt then he will be back in juniors.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:42 PM
  #230
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
if he was no good as you say then way did they send him back? because he was overmatched is why. he wa sok for a very short period. he shoudl have been sent back to juniors in the first place. he was not ready to play in the nhl. i will bet you he doesnt make the top6 next year to start. not sure if he is eligible for the phantoms or nto. if he isnt then he will be back in juniors.
Salary had something to do with it as well. There was no way that the Flyers were going to pay Jones a bunch of money to sit on the bench or in the minors. Fact is, Jones had to play in order to justify the salary he was given. Sbisa made the most sense to send back because of his entry level contract and the fact he wouldn't have to pass through waivers. Let's not forget that Jones is Stevens' boy.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:34 PM
  #231
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo0sE View Post
Great Point. I have said this before and I will say it again. I do not think Biron is the main the problem. I would like to see him back, but not at a 4-5 year deal he is looking for. IMO, Our defense lacked physical play this past season whereas in the ECF year we had more guys who would hit. This year we basically had Alberts on Defense who would hit/clear the crease. I am not saying go out and get trees on defense, but 1 or 2 physical defensemen could not hurt. When you have players that can just stand in front of the net or go in the zone and set up low with out paying a price physically.... I dont care who the hell is in goal..pucks will go in the net.
Biron is not the problem. Unless you tell me you are replacing him with Brodeur, Giguere or Fleury....I want Biron back.

Luongo looked great in a pressure situation up there in Vancouver!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 01:24 PM
  #232
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Salary had something to do with it as well. There was no way that the Flyers were going to pay Jones a bunch of money to sit on the bench or in the minors. Fact is, Jones had to play in order to justify the salary he was given. Sbisa made the most sense to send back because of his entry level contract and the fact he wouldn't have to pass through waivers. Let's not forget that Jones is Stevens' boy.....
i disagree. if they thought he was one of their top6 dman they would have found a way for his 850k. imo they did not and he wasnt. they f'd up with sbisa, they wasted a year of contract status. they really didn tknwo what to do and it cost them. he wastn ready, that was clear towards the end of his stint. it still cracks me up that homer admits he didnt want to go to arbitrationa nd gave jones that contract. how can the gm say that with a straight fcae. that is a disgrace he was neevr called out for that. if you go to arbitrationa nd he wins you walk away. simple as that.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
  #233
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
i would take that.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 03:41 PM
  #234
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
MH had his cap hit at around 1.6 mill (compared to Doughty's which is around 3.5 mill) even with bonuses. If that's true, obviously it's a huge coup.



Well you need to take backups into account, I personally wouldn't count Anderson, Hiller, Khabibulin, Brodeur and Smith who are all ahead of Biron because they have less than 50 games (minimum for a starter IMO).

Biron or Nabby is closer than most would think, I'd take Nabby because he's a tad more proven, but he does play behind a pretty excellent defense in SJ.

Obviously you need to take other factors into consideration, but save percentage is generally a very good tool. It's kind of like if you're walking through an alley and a guy is walking towards you with a gun in his hand. It's not certain, but the odds are that you're going to get mugged.

Similarly, if a guy keeps a .920 save percentage and plays over 50 games, it's not certain, but he's probably a pretty good goalie.

Another big key for me is year to year consistency. Biron's one of like 5 NHL starters who have save percentages of .915 or better in each of the last 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm probably the only one on here to say this, but I'll take Biron over Nabokov. What exactly has Nabokov done during his career? He wins during the regular season, but he doesn't win when it matters - the playoffs. Biron has at least shown he can win in the playoffs, with a lesser team none the less (contrary to what people might think, San Jose on paper is a better team than Philadelphia). To me, I want a goalie that can win when it matters most. Biron has at least shown he's capable of winning a big game. When's the last time Nabokov won a game that really mattered?
I was just about to say the same think BCF16...Nabokov, and Luongo for that matter, have come up pretty small come playoff time. Do I think they are indiviudally more talented than Biron? Yes, of course......However, in a cap era, you cant spend $6-7 million on a goalie unless he is consitently keeping you in the running for a cup.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 04:15 PM
  #235
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
On NHL 09 I did Briere/Carle for Chipchura/Halak and the rights to Komisarek

I also reacquired Upshall and have this lineup at the moment

Gagne Richards Lupul
Hartnell Carter Giroux
Upshall Chipchura Knuble
Carcillo Marchant Powe
Cote

Parent Timonen
Coburn Komisarek
Sbisa Kukkonen

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 05:19 PM
  #236
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I was just about to say the same think BCF16...Nabokov, and Luongo for that matter, have come up pretty small come playoff time. Do I think they are indiviudally more talented than Biron? Yes, of course......However, in a cap era, you cant spend $6-7 million on a goalie unless he is consitently keeping you in the running for a cup.
Nabokov. Yes
Luongo. No.

Even though Roberto has lost many of the series he has been in, he has been the best player in quite a few of them. It is not his fault that his team is incapable offensively. Yes, he had one really rough game this year. But he played very well in the rest of the PO's.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 06:04 PM
  #237
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,049
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
My Team

Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Hartnell-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Giroux
Powe-Metropolit-Downie

Timonen-Keith
Wideman-Coburn
Orpik-Parent

Backstrom
Niittymaki

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 06:54 PM
  #238
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
My Team

Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Hartnell-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Giroux
Powe-Metropolit-Downie

Timonen-Keith
Wideman-Coburn
Orpik-Parent

Backstrom
Niittymaki
Thats pretty good

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:11 PM
  #239
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Nabokov. Yes
Luongo. No.

Even though Roberto has lost many of the series he has been in, he has been the best player in quite a few of them. It is not his fault that his team is incapable offensively. Yes, he had one really rough game this year. But he played very well in the rest of the PO's.
You may be right, however, that "one" game was a huge game....Players like him need to be huge in that game. Its like the McNabb debate I get into all the time..I dont care if you are good 99.9% of the time...You have to come through at that big moment, and Luongo didnt do that. Am I saying he is terrible? By no means....Is he worth $7 million, HELL no.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
  #240
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
On NHL 09 I did Briere/Carle for Chipchura/Halak and the rights to Komisarek

I also reacquired Upshall and have this lineup at the moment

Gagne Richards Lupul
Hartnell Carter Giroux
Upshall Chipchura Knuble
Carcillo Marchant Powe
Cote

Parent Timonen
Coburn Komisarek
Sbisa Kukkonen
Gagne Richards Knuble
Hartnell Carter Giroux
JVR Chipchura Asham
Carcillo Marchant Powe
Kalinski

Coburn Komisarek
Parent Timonen
Sbisa Commodore
Marshall

I guess Briere would have to go to Montreal or something... and JVR would have to make the team. No idea how we get Chipchura or Commodore. Guess we could offer Carle or Jones though not sure they're worth much...

basically I didn't think about feasibility at all, just daydreaming while watching the Phillies

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.