HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

what size stick???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2009, 10:10 PM
  #1
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny
 
Swagelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
what size stick???

okay so i play defense and i'm about 5'7 whats a good length stick? what kind?

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:21 PM
  #2
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
It depends on what you're comfortable with, but an intermediate stick would probably suit you best.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:05 AM
  #3
Placebo Effect
Registered User
 
Placebo Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mind
Country: China
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 500
I'm 5'9"ish and I use a senior stick cut down an inch or two but I'm fine with not cutting it either. It's all personal preference though. Willie Mitchell is 6'3" and uses max allowed in NHL (63"). Since you're D you may prefer a little longer stick to allow yourself a bit more reach to poke check. Don't forget to factor in the lie and flex, intermediate sticks have a lower flex and are shorter. If you prefer regular flex and find that senior is too long you could get a mid flex senior and cut it.

But as I said, at the end of the day pretty much any hockey equipment boils down to personal preference.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:10 AM
  #4
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,415
vCash: 501
Well, you're young so you probably aren't strong enough to handle a senior yet. Go with the intermediate.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:27 AM
  #5
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Well, you're young so you probably aren't strong enough to handle a senior yet. Go with the intermediate.
how do you know how old he is? just out of curiosity

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 02:37 AM
  #6
Ragss
Registered User
 
Ragss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
he is 5'7 and he has 1994 in his name, its a safe bet he is 15 or so.

And the typical rule of thumb is that the stick is just below your chin while on skates, approximately under your nose while in shoes.

I'm 6'5 and i've tried to use a stick thats under my chin on skates and its way, way too long. Must be the way my limbs are in proportion to my body. Now I use a full size Easton composite which sits about 3 inches lower and its working out perfectly. In other words, start at just under your chin and trim it down as you feel necessary.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 09:56 AM
  #7
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1994 View Post
okay so i play defense and i'm about 5'7 whats a good length stick? what kind?
I'm your size but twice your age. I use an intermediate.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:24 PM
  #8
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
he is 5'7 and he has 1994 in his name, its a safe bet he is 15 or so.

And the typical rule of thumb is that the stick is just below your chin while on skates, approximately under your nose while in shoes.

I'm 6'5 and i've tried to use a stick thats under my chin on skates and its way, way too long. Must be the way my limbs are in proportion to my body. Now I use a full size Easton composite which sits about 3 inches lower and its working out perfectly. In other words, start at just under your chin and trim it down as you feel necessary.
his name is NYR1994. 1994 was the last year the rangers won the cup, im not saying that isnt when he was born but i assumed its cause thats the last year they won the cup. i have a 21 year old friend who is 5'7

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:39 PM
  #9
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,415
vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
his name is NYR1994. 1994 was the last year the rangers won the cup, im not saying that isnt when he was born but i assumed its cause thats the last year they won the cup. i have a 21 year old friend who is 5'7
I'm 5'6 myself, it wasn't about the height. Generally speaking, if a year is in somebody's username it's their birth year.

It is an assumption, but fairly safe with the way people choose usernames.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:16 PM
  #10
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny
 
Swagelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
lol thnx alot guys the 1994 is for the rangers cup

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.