HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryder for Vezina?

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 01:50 PM
EquabaleAce

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Ryder for Vezina?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1765544

According to Ray Ferraro, Michael Ryder will win the Vezina Trophy this year. I know he is a super rookie, but not that great, is he?

Old
03-23-2004, 01:52 PM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1765544

According to Ray Ferraro, Michael Ryder will win the Vezina Trophy this year. I know he is a super rookie, but not that great, is he?

You mean Calder :p

Old
03-23-2004, 01:56 PM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABit
You mean Calder :p

Oh I guess you got confused with Raycroft. Yes, he is good but I don't think he is deservant of the Vezina. There are way better goalies...Luongo, Kiprusoff, Brodeur...

Old
03-23-2004, 02:00 PM
felixd

Quote:
Oh I guess you got confused with Raycroft. Yes, he is good but I don't think he is deservant of the Vezina. There are way better goalies...Luongo, Kiprusoff, Brodeur...
Luongo has my pick. Kiprusoff won't win simply because he hasn't played in enough games.

Old
03-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Guy!

I think he meant the website that made the error.

Still, I remember back when Gretz scored 215 points I was thinking he should be nominated for the Vezina. No better way to keep the puck out of your own net than by continually putting it in your opponents net. 215 points these days is more goals that some teams will score overall.

ACF

Old
03-23-2004, 02:09 PM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I think he meant the website that made the error.

Still, I remember back when Gretz scored 215 points I was thinking he should be nominated for the Vezina. No better way to keep the puck out of your own net than by continually putting it in your opponents net. 215 points these days is more goals that some teams will score overall.

ACF

Yeah, you caught my cynicism. I did imply that the website was in error

Old
03-23-2004, 02:13 PM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
Luongo has my pick. Kiprusoff won't win simply because he hasn't played in enough games.
Yes that is true. Statistically speaking, Luongo's save pct right now is the same as Kiprusoff's(.933) and he has played 67 games vs 34. But Kip's avg is 1.69 vs. 2.33. I know the Vezina is not a statistical award, but I am sure it plays a part. Luongo would take this one over Kiprusoff.

However, don't forget Roloson, he has the same save pct as Luongo & Kiprusoff (.933) and a better avg (1.89) with a respectable 44 games.

Raycroft? He played 51 games with a 2.01 and .929 and he is a rookie. He also will be Boston's MVP and he has played a major part in their success.

Brodeuer...2.03, .917...respectable.

There are many good goalies this season...Honorable mentions...Theodore, Esche,Legace, Nabokov, Aebischer...it's a goalie's game!

I guess if I were to choose only 1 for the Vezina, it would be Luongo as well.

Old
03-23-2004, 02:23 PM
All-Star

It's definitely Luongo's year...

Old
03-23-2004, 02:24 PM
felixd

Quote:

Raycroft? He played 51 games with a 2.01 and .929 and he is a rookie. He also will be Boston's MVP and he has played a major part in their success.
I think he will win the Calder, but I think they will give the Vezina to an established goalie who hasn't won it yet. Roloson would be a possibbility, but I'm not sure if he has played enough games.

I think I think Luongo deserves to win, but the awards can often be a popularity contest so we may see Brodeur win it again.

Old
03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

It seems nobody here have mentionned Turco as a possibility for the Vezina... He has the most wins, he has 9 shutouts and is the bis reason for the turnaround in Dallas. I don't know if you guys forgot about him but he is in my mind, in the 3 favorites for the award.

I think the 3 goalies nomination for the Vezina will go to Brodeur-Luongo and Turco.

Old
03-23-2004, 02:38 PM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
It seems nobody here have mentionned Turco as a possibility for the Vezina... He has the most wins, he has 9 shutouts and is the bis reason for the turnaround in Dallas. I don't know if you guys forgot about him but he is in my mind, in the 3 favorites for the award.

I think the 3 goalies nomination for the Vezina will go to Brodeur-Luongo and Turco.
Yah I forgot him, but he is definetely a nominee.

Old
03-23-2004, 04:57 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Yes that is true. Statistically speaking, Luongo's save pct right now is the same as Kiprusoff's(.933) and he has played 67 games vs 34. But Kip's avg is 1.69 vs. 2.33. I know the Vezina is not a statistical award, but I am sure it plays a part. Luongo would take this one over Kiprusoff.

However, don't forget Roloson, he has the same save pct as Luongo & Kiprusoff (.933) and a better avg (1.89) with a respectable 44 games.

Brodeuer...2.03, .917...respectable.

There are many good goalies this season...Honorable mentions...Theodore, Esche,Legace, Nabokov, Aebischer...it's a goalie's game!

I guess if I were to choose only 1 for the Vezina, it would be Luongo as well.
If you think about it, having a 2.33 GAA vs a guy with a 1.69 GAA and having the same save %, what does that tell you? That measn Luongo is making A HELL OF A LOT MORE SAVES then Kip is. If Luongo had a 1.69 GAA his save % would be somewhere like .950.

Closed Thread