HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Harvey's The best or the greatest resturant in canada?

Old
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
asdf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Been to the Burger Inn off McLeod Trail in Calgary several times.

You get to chose your meat: premium bison, turkey, ostrich or beef.

Almost a hole in the wall with about 8 small tables to sit at.
Have you tried all the meats? I hear ostrich tastes pretty damn good and is much healthier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappo619 View Post
Try a Triple at Wendy's...Im sure its worse than a triple whopper (might not be similar size, but how it looks is BLEH)
Back in the day Wendy's had a sign that said "Double the meat for $1" which was intended to let you turn your regular sandwich into a double.

My friend ordered the triple and tried to argue that he should get 6 patties for an extra dollar. They said no it would be $1 for each extra patty.

He got five.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Have you tried all the meats? I hear ostrich tastes pretty damn good and is much healthier.

Back in the day Wendy's had a sign that said "Double the meat for $1" which was intended to let you turn your regular sandwich into a double.

My friend ordered the triple and tried to argue that he should get 6 patties for an extra dollar. They said no it would be $1 for each extra patty.

He got five.

Did he manage to finish it in one sitting?

05-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
harveys is delicious, i ate there for lunch today mhhhm!

ALSO

on i think the 21st of may, tim hortons is giving away free small ice caps., thats what it said on facebook.,

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

Did he manage to finish it in one sitting?
Yeah, but I said he had to eat it as a proper burger. He took out one of the patties and ate it seperately.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:52 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
harveys is delicious, i ate there for lunch today mhhhm!

ALSO

on i think the 21st of may, tim hortons is giving away free small ice caps., thats what it said on facebook.,
As part of their ongoing strategy to turn Canada into a nation of fatasses addicted to their products.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:03 PM
grind your soul
Belak forever

Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
BK, McDonalds, Wendys - meh.

Harveys is decent - above those three ^ - but I've noticed the quality droppage in the 10 years I have been eating there.

A&W never impressed me but I haven't eaten there in years so maybe I should try it again.

DQ gave me serious runs last time I ate there, so that kinda soured the experience.

Hero Burger wasn't very good at all. Never tried South Street.

I was unimpressed with Apache Burger. May have had something to do with my expectations going in, but I found it to be pretty bland and the employees were awful.

Golden Star remains my favourite.

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
As part of their ongoing strategy to turn Canada into a nation of fatasses addicted to their products.
Are you referring to Harvey's, Timmy's, or both?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:24 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Are you referring to Harvey's, Timmy's, or both?
Both of their businesses rely on peoples' addiction to sugar and fried foods but I was referring to the samples being given out. It's closer to tobacco companies giving out free cigarettes than people will give it credit for.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Both of their businesses rely on peoples' addiction to sugar and fried foods but I was referring to the samples being given out. It's closer to tobacco companies giving out free cigarettes than people will give it credit for.
You must really hate Halloween.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I even forgot about the Red Barn and Burger Chef.

Burger Chef had the best shakes ... okay this was in the early 70's for Burger Chef and 60's for the Red Barn.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Casey Ryback

the lines on this free day will make you wish you were paying for it the day before. It's a waste of time- I tried to go last year.

Casey Ryback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:08 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappo619 View Post
Try a Triple at Wendy's...Im sure its worse than a triple whopper (might not be similar size, but how it looks is BLEH)
I don't eat fast food anymore, sorta funny that I'm actually participating in this thread actually. But I'm trying to avoid that type of food, which is why I said I prefer my own home made burgers (actually true though).

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:27 PM
richardn

Harvey's has gone down hill in my oppinion over the last 5 years. Wendy's in my oppinion is the best all arround fast food place. BK is second and then A&W.

MacDonalds is by far the worst they get worse every year. The only thing MacDonalds is good for is leaving you running for the bathroom shortly after.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:53 PM
shakermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
Thanks for the head's up on the free burger. The Harvey's hamburger is okay these days, the burger itself is nothing to write home about any longer. There's a lot of filler, it's just a step above the "meat" in a hot dog, even similar spices. The toppings make the burgers better than some of their competitors.

Anyone old enough to remember Harvey's pre-Cara Foods days when their burgers were closer to Weber's or Lick's? The burgers were thinner but real ground beef with no filler. That's 30 years ago. It has been a slow transformation from a great burger to a mediocre passable burger. For example 15 years ago, the burger they call the Angus Burger now was the regular burger. There used to be some other premium one called Supreme or something like that was more like the regular burger from 20+ years ago.

Lick's is not getting enough credit in this thread.

The Harvey's burger you are referring to was the 'Ultra Burger'

I miss it.

shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
I'm so bummed now I've got eat another bag of potato chips. Thanks a lot.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aser View Post
Harvey's patty is full of filler, the texture is rubbery. At least that is my recollection as I haven't had it in 8-9 yrs. I can't imagine it getting better with time.

Johnny's, I know why people love it, for the nostalgia. It is a terrible burger though, low grade frozen patty charred to death. Then again, taste doesn't matter much when you're sloshed at 3am on a Friday night. It serves its purpose.

Dangerous Dan, it's an overcooked dry pile of grey mush. How could it not be if the patty is so thick? I can picture the cook squeezing the hell out of it on the flattop w/ his spatula. It just looks disgusting, don't think I'll ever attempt that one.

Golden Star, the one gem mentioned in this place. A truly great old school burger, but only if you get the homeburger, which is made in house. The regular hamburger is just a pre-fab frozen patty, although the toppings do manage to help. Just order the deluxe homeburger (bacon/cheese), ignore the regular burgers.

Hero, Burger Shoppe, South St Burger, Craft, Gourmet Burger Co., etc......They are all cashing in on the old to the new burger trend. None of these places are any good, they're overpriced for what it is.

How to find a good burger? 1st criteria is their willingness to cook to your desired level. If they're not willing to cook to medium rare? This tells you they lack confidence in their meat quality. They probably are not grinding their meat in house.

My fav burger in the city? Besides the obscenely expensive Bymark burger, I would say Allen's at Danforth & Broadview. Great beer selection too.

There has been a lot of talk about the burgers at Nota Bene, Harbord Room, Weezie's.....these are all restaurant burgers, so yes more expensive. The old school spots akin to Golden Star are Burger Shack, Apache.
Dangerous Dans actually manages to get it nicely cooked, considering the quantities. Nice and evenly done, where really you'd expect it to be undercooked in the middle. Although I'll tack on a disclaimer stating that I've never tried the monstrosity I posted in here. Their regular burgers, which are still huge, are really quite good in my experience. Always gets great reviews in spite of how trashy the place is.

Allens is a great burger, for sure. You mention most of the best spots in this post.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Shaun_W_W

Not my favourite burger place but that doesn't mean I won't do my annual drive to every Harvey's in the city that I can.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
cupcrazyman
Homer J Fong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Freakin' Sweet !!!!!!!

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:07 PM
equipe

Harvey's is on the bottom of my fast food list. Damn, I'd eat at Arby's before Harvey's. I find their burgers very generic and meh.

I've been eating at Craft Burger now and again. Their Lamb burger is excellent. I was also surprised by the quality of the last burger I had at Shoeless Joe's. It was pretty damn good.

equipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:08 PM
cupcrazyman
Homer J Fong

back in the day,some department stores had amazing food at their lunch counters/in store restaurants.Sears had great burgers & fries with gravy.

Old
05-24-2009, 01:30 PM
cupcrazyman
Homer J Fong

today was free hamburger day at Harveys.word to the wise,if any business is giving away free stuff,get there early.lineup was out the door ,nowhere to park,drive-thru was bumper to bumper.i would say 95 % of customers ordered just the free burger.

Old
05-24-2009, 01:59 PM
robr00

Of the fast food joints, Harveys is definitely my fav.

robr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Rmac22

Do you mean Starveys?

Rmac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 03:19 PM
mikeswright49

well i got my free burger today and it only took like 5mins which is a surprise cause last year the line was around the corner THANK YOU FOR THE FREE BURGER HARVEYS!

mikeswright49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:24 PM
BDS28

Harvey's is absolutely the worst burger of all time. I can't understand why people love it. The meat looks like it is so full of filler and crap. Instead of looking like that charred grey burger colour, they always look reddish orange.

And I personally don't like tomatoes, but at Harvey's they are ALWAYS green! They are never ripe. All the produce looks disgusting at Harvey's.

Wendy's is for sure the best "fast food" burger, BK is good too.

In terms of real burgers... Licks and Hero suck...

Johnny's Northend Burger in Whitby is famous like a previous poster said, but I think they are a lot worse than they used to be. They use frozen patties. I'm not sure if they have always done so, but that's a big no no for me.

Goldenstar (in Thornhill just north of Steeles on Yonge) is still my most frequent burger. I was just there today. I mean, it's still probably the best around, but in all honesty, my taste buds have matured so much and I love cooking and spicing meat myself these days. Gstar is great meat (but gotta get the homemade patty) however my complaints are that they use processed cheese and that the burgers can be pretty thin. If there's an idiot working there it can dry out, but for the most part they know what they are doing. Sometimes if I'm hungry I will get a double, as that keeps it nice and juicy and thick.

Really though, the best burger is off of my backyard BBQ

BDS28 is offline   Reply With Quote