HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

J.S Giguere to Toronto

Old
05-17-2009, 07:09 PM
leaky37

vCash: 500
J.S Giguere to Toronto

With Burke now the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs and their current goaltender situation, I was wondering if Burke may try and get Giggy from his former club. At 32 years old and Cap hit of $6M until the end of 2011 season he is a proven #1 goaltender. I think that if Burke should go after Giguere and trade Toskala and use whatever pick they get for him to draft a goalie. Either Mike Lee, Brandon Maxwell, Mikko Koskinen, Edward Pasquale should be available in the 2nd round. Or if they can't land Gustavsson, keep Toskala and let him and his $4M contract walk at the end of next season. What do you think?

leaky37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
leaky37

Also what do you think it will cost the Leafs to get him? He didn't play for most of the year due to the stellar play of Hiller, so he should be a little cheaper and I'm sure the Ducks would love to shed his $6 Million dollar contract.

Old
05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
ugotmybeef*

Just say NO.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Randall Graves*

Burke will go after Hiller or Giguere I guarantee it, as for what it'd take? I don't know. Burke will shop guys like Kulemin, Stralman, and Tlusty however.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
leaky37

I can't see the Ducks moving Hiller and not Giggy though. Hiller is younger and has a cap hit of $1.3M. He won the starting role over Giggy fair and square, and thats why I can't see him going. But Giggy wants out of town now because he wants to be the starter and I can't see Anahiem keeping a $6M back-up... I don't know if I would want to give up Kulemin or Stralman for him though.

Old
05-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Kings man 4 life

Giggy doesn't want to move and has a NMC because of his sick kid. He will not be moved.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

why is aneheim trading giguere? he has some deep roots in aneheim now and could always mentor Hiller. Throwing Hiller right into starting an entire season could turn into price

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
why is aneheim trading giguere? he has some deep roots in aneheim now and could always mentor Hiller. Throwing Hiller right into starting an entire season could turn into price
He does have a pretty hefty cap hit.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
He does have a pretty hefty cap hit.
and a NMC

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
and a NMC
I was watching his exit interview yesterday, he made it clear he won't accept being the backup, but also cited having a NTC, so basically he'll go where he wants to go

Old
05-17-2009, 07:51 PM
The Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Giggy doesn't want to move and has a NMC because of his sick kid. He will not be moved.
Toronto has a very good hospital called "Sick Kids", I'm sure his son could be looked after here. Maybe his relationship with Burke (who gave him the rich contract to begin with) and a guaranteed #1 gig will be enough to sway him.

I'd give as much as Toskala + Ponikarovsky or Stajan or Stralman

for Giguere and a conditional mid to late round pick if the Ducks make the playoffs. They could use some extra scoring depth.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Dog View Post
Toronto has a very good hospital called "Sick Kids"
I'm sure every NHL city has a comparable hospital but that isn't the point. How often do you personally change doctors? I would gather it doesn't happen often (I've had the same family doctor for umpteen years because I'm comfortable with him). I would further guess one would be even LESS inclined to switch when it involves medical staff that is treating ones child that he trusts.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:34 PM
drofnats

I don't think we need Giguere... Toskala played awesome (and dashing my draft hopes in the process) his last month before shutting it down. I think a healthy Toskala will satistfy our goaltending needs.

drofnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:36 PM
AK

Kaberle and Kulemin would get him Hiller.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Question: How many documented trades are there of GM's going from one team to another, and then trading for their ex-players? Because there's been an awful lot of speculation that Burke's going to be heavily involved with the Canucks and/or Ducks, solely because of prior affiliation.

05-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Question: How many documented trades are there of GM's going from one team to another, and then trading for their ex-players? Because there's been an awful lot of speculation that Burke's going to be heavily involved with the Canucks and/or Ducks, solely because of prior affiliation.
Not a GM but a coach:

Crawford = Dan Cloutier.

Old
05-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Not a GM but a coach:

Crawford = Dan Cloutier.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Covenant

I can't see why the Leafs would have an interest in Gigiere. He's 32, has a massive contract and the Leafs are certainly not in contending mold yet.

I believe that Anahiem would do cartwheels to get rid of his massive contract. They have anointed Hillier as their starter and surely don't want an unhappy backup who has a contract that pays 6.5 mil for the next 2 yrs.

If the Leafs were stuck with a salary like this, fans would be wondering how we could give him away. However, here we are talking about high draft picks and young talent for an expensive, older, backup goalie. Leaf fans have certainly not learned from the past.

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
We (Canucks) had Cloutier for a number of years ourselves. I feel your pain.

Old
05-17-2009, 08:54 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Burke has traded for Brad May three times.

That said, I don't see why a rebuilding Toronto team would be interested in Giguere when they're trying to develop Pogge and already have Toskala on the books.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
I can't see why the Leafs would have an interest in Gigiere. He's 32, has a massive contract and the Leafs are certainly not in contending mold yet.

I believe that Anahiem would do cartwheels to get rid of his massive contract. They have anointed Hillier as their starter and surely don't want an unhappy backup who has a contract that pays 6.5 mil for the next 2 yrs.

If the Leafs were stuck with a salary like this, fans would be wondering how we could give him away. However, here we are talking about high draft picks and young talent for an expensive, older, backup goalie. Leaf fans have certainly not learned from the past.
because he's won a cup, been a consistant top 5 ish goalie since 2003 and had an off year with lots of personal issues, the ducks can keep him but we don't need another goalie controversey.

The leafs need some winners, that's why they'd want him, and a goalie that can steal games, which he does

Old
05-17-2009, 11:48 PM
leaky37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
because he's won a cup, been a consistant top 5 ish goalie since 2003 and had an off year with lots of personal issues, the ducks can keep him but we don't need another goalie controversey.

The leafs need some winners, that's why they'd want him, and a goalie that can steal games, which he does
I agree, I don't think we should overpay for him. If the price was right then sure, he is a winner and I do believe the Giggy was heard saying that he is weighing all his options and that he wasn't happy with being a back-up. I can see Burke getting him because he probably has more faith in him then he does Toskala and it give Pogge time to learn from a Stanley Cup winning Goaltender. It worked for Hiller so you never know. But like I said before, I can't see Anaheim asking too too much for him just to get rid of his big contract! But you never know. Also, Giguere would have to accept a trade to TO which he may not

Old
05-18-2009, 12:02 AM
HankTheTank

Shouldn't LA get in on this? They need to start getting into playoff mode before their rookie contract studs play enough years and rack up enough points losing games to warrant bigger deals

HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:16 AM
leaky37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTank View Post
Shouldn't LA get in on this? They need to start getting into playoff mode before their rookie contract studs play enough years and rack up enough points losing games to warrant bigger deals
LA should def get in on this! I actually think it would be smart for LA to trade some of their picks to get help now because they have A LOT of good prospects, especially defensive prospects. They need Roster players now added to the mix to make them a better team!

Old
05-18-2009, 12:41 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
It would be a good move from Toronto to get Giguere.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote