HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Thoughts on solving our centermen issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2009, 10:31 AM
  #26
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Lecavalier
Koivu
Lapierre
Metro/Chip/Maxwell

From one of the worst one-two punch to a top 10 best in the league as for Centremen.
Yup...its not that hard...all we have to do is trade for LeCavalier! :-)

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 10:48 AM
  #27
Habruti!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboys99 View Post
Convert O'Byrne to center
Why not we've seen he can be a threat on the PP :-)


Seriously, Maxwell is developing well and surely needs one more year of development. I would ink Saku to a new contract if all possible 1-2 years should be enough.

I would try and trade a combination of Plekanek and Halak .. perhaps only one of them would be required... perhaps also including Fisher in the picture. The idea would be to acquire an additional 1st round pick this year. Sure moving up for a guys like Duchene, Kane or Schenn would be nice but its a bit too expensive. Lecavalier will be avalable but I also feer he will be quite expensive. There are three guys that might be available where we pick that could pan out to be special players (all centerman)... Kreider, Holland and Leblanc should the target for this draft. If by any chance we could get two of those that could be the equivalent of a (Carter-Richards) punch.

So my plan:
1- Draft two of Holland and one of (Kreider, Leblanc)
(remember we have traded Plek to acquire this additional pick)
2- Bring back Higgins at Center
3- Sign Koivu to a 2Y deal

This year:
------------------------------------------------
Tanguay, Koivu, A.Kostsitsyn
Pacioretty, Higgins, (S.Kostsitsyn)<-- Camalri would be nice here
Latendresse, Lapierre, (Daggostini)<-- Clowe would be nice here
Stuart, Metropolit, Laraque

We sigh JBo, Komisarek
Markov, Komisarek
JBo, Subban
Hamerlik, Weber

We sigh JS.Giguere as a big brother for Price.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
  #28
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Why not we've seen he can be a threat on the PP :-)


Seriously, Maxwell is developing well and surely needs one more year of development. I would ink Saku to a new contract if all possible 1-2 years should be enough.

I would try and trade a combination of Plekanek and Halak .. perhaps only one of them would be required... perhaps also including Fisher in the picture. The idea would be to acquire an additional 1st round pick this year. Sure moving up for a guys like Duchene, Kane or Schenn would be nice but its a bit too expensive. Lecavalier will be avalable but I also feer he will be quite expensive. There are three guys that might be available where we pick that could pan out to be special players (all centerman)... Kreider, Holland and Leblanc should the target for this draft. If by any chance we could get two of those that could be the equivalent of a (Carter-Richards) punch.

So my plan:
1- Draft two of Holland and one of (Kreider, Leblanc)
(remember we have traded Plek to acquire this additional pick)
2- Bring back Higgins at Center
3- Sign Koivu to a 2Y deal

This year:
------------------------------------------------
Tanguay, Koivu, A.Kostsitsyn
Pacioretty, Higgins, (S.Kostsitsyn)<-- Camalri would be nice here
Latendresse, Lapierre, (Daggostini)<-- Clowe would be nice here
Stuart, Metropolit, Laraque

We sigh JBo, Komisarek
Markov, Komisarek
JBo, Subban
Hamerlik, Weber

We sigh JS.Giguere as a big brother for Price.
In all honesty, Higgins can't play center at this point. Yes he was a center but now he is a much, much better left winger.
I see us getting better at center via trade. Drafting a center would still be a must. All this Lecavallier talk is getting sour but still I like this. The tag would be high but if we can get him without giving up a Subban and Maxman, it would be great.
We all have our wish list and for me, I don't see team letting go a Malkin, Carter, Getzlaf or a Kopitar. VL would only be avaible cause TB has financial problems. Thornton from SJ could maybe be avaible but I dought it. The Sedin twins are nice but come on, Vancouver will sign them.

So for the heck of it, I trade Plekanec, the Kostitsyn brothers and 1st this year and next for Malkin. Then I call Perez and tell him if he want to play with Malkin, well get his but over and sign him to a 5 year contrac at 18 million. Sigh Kovalev(2 years), Tanguay(4years) and Koivu(2years). Sign Legacy to a back up role contrac, trade Halak alond with Obyrne to Edmonton for Tom Gilbert. Sign Schneider to one more year.Sign Komisarek!we need


Perz-Malkin-Kovalev
Tanguay-Koivu-DÀggo
Latendress-Lapierre-Maxman
Stewy-Metro-Laraque

MArkov-Komi
Gilbert-Hammer
Schneider/Webber/ Subban???-Gorges

Pice
Legacy(has won many places, play for Detroit and was a great back-up with no Language issus)

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
  #29
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,341
vCash: 500
get vinne
and get a solid two centre man for 2nd line
sign koviu for 2 mil for the 3rd line.
lappy is 3rd


this team need 2 big centremen in frt of the #11

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:42 AM
  #30
Booky
 
Booky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Lacavalaiair

Booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
  #31
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booky View Post
Lacavalaiair
Lacavalaiair who????

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:16 PM
  #32
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlouche View Post
1-Better drafting. Kostytin over Carter-Parise and Gezlaf was stupid.
2-Make a trade for Joe Thornton or Lecavalier, yeah I know it's not so easy but we knows that the best UFA dont sign here...
Thornton? I thought the ultimate goal here was to build a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup . . .

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:21 PM
  #33
Caseofcups*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Thornton? I thought the ultimate goal here was to build a team capable of winning the Stanley Cup . . .
No Thornton please.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:56 PM
  #34
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
trade for j. staal

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:57 PM
  #35
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Trading for a #1 C will be incredibly difficult. There's just not that many clubs who want to let those kind of players go.

Tampa isn't that stupid, they'll ask the moon for Vinny.

Briere is just not a fit here. People already booed him last year and also he's another midget.

Thornton might be a good fit but there are questions about his clutch abilities, so where does it help us when it matters?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
  #36
vokiel
I hate blind passes
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 7,078
vCash: 500
Trade a few assets and possibly exchange picks for the #5 overall (LA Kings) and draft Evander Kane.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:19 PM
  #37
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
One of these solutions.

1- Try to get Lecavalier

2- Try to get Marleau

3- If 1 or 2 doesn't work: re-sign Koivu OR Lang

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:21 PM
  #38
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Trade a few assets and possibly exchange picks for the #5 overall (LA Kings) and draft Evander Kane.
LA has been bottum feeder for long enough. They have had many grood drafty so I could see them trading the 5th pick. Evander Kane seems to be a good choice at that pick. the big question would be what does LA want and what do we have to offer.
I believe that Plekanec has value for a team like LA. Second liner with skills and speed. But if we deal Plekanec this summer, we will need to get an other center. Im not sure if EK could take that big of a role, but I could be wrong. One thing is for sure, we need a skilled center to be drafted this summer end of story.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:42 PM
  #39
Habruti!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
LA has been bottum feeder for long enough. They have had many grood drafty so I could see them trading the 5th pick. Evander Kane seems to be a good choice at that pick. the big question would be what does LA want and what do we have to offer.
I believe that Plekanec has value for a team like LA. Second liner with skills and speed. But if we deal Plekanec this summer, we will need to get an other center. Im not sure if EK could take that big of a role, but I could be wrong. One thing is for sure, we need a skilled center to be drafted this summer end of story.
I know everyone here seems to think that Higgins can't play center but everytime he did in the past years either to replace Koivu or take someone else's spot he did better then Pleks IMO.

I would definitily be OK with Koivu, Higgins, Lapierre as our top three center if it gave us the opportunity to draft a guy like Kane or Schenn. With Maxwell progressing and the opportunity to land another Center via trade of RFA offer sheet we could be in business for years ...

One other option would be to trade for Dubinsky. Perhaps a swap between Higgins and Dubinsky could be possible....

I would be quite happy with Schenn, Dubinsky and Lapierre as our top three centers few years down the road ...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
  #40
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Let Komo walk, Let Kovalev walk and the rest of the UFAs. Focus on JBO 8 mill plus and backfill with guys like Dags and Stewart, MaxPac etc,
I don't think we'd make our team incredibly better by letting Komo walk and sign JBo.

If we have a Markov/Komo, Hamrlik/JBo, top 4 then we'd be able to contain any team in the league.

Of course I choose JayBo over Komo any day, but we have the cap room for both of them.

If we do let Kovalev walk, and Lang, Bouillon, Dandy, Kosto, Schneider (1.6Cap hit with us), Breezer that's close to 15M right there.
Now, if we get Vinny, for the same roster players as rumored, Plek/Higgins/Gorges, that frees up another 4.5M. So, that's around 20M lets say.

7.7 for Vinny..so that leaves around 12M. Let's say JayBo signs around 8M and Komi around 4M. I guess it works. Also like to point out, we could arranger his salary in order to make his cap hit smaller than 8M.

Then, we have Koivu that should re-sign for less. Something like a 3 or 4year deal at 3.5-3-2.5-2, for a 2.8M cap hit. That frees up close to 2M compared to his last hit.
If we can find a way to re-sign Tanguay for another 3years at a decent price, for a smaller hit than 5.2M, then we'd save some more money.

I think it would require a lot of work, but it's still a possibility.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
  #41
Caseofcups*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think we'd make our team incredibly better by letting Komo walk and sign JBo.

If we have a Markov/Komo, Hamrlik/JBo, top 4 then we'd be able to contain any team in the league.

Of course I choose JayBo over Komo any day, but we have the cap room for both of them.

If we do let Kovalev walk, and Lang, Bouillon, Dandy, Kosto, Schneider (1.6Cap hit with us), Breezer that's close to 15M right there.
Now, if we get Vinny, for the same roster players as rumored, Plek/Higgins/Gorges, that frees up another 4.5M. So, that's around 20M lets say.

7.7 for Vinny..so that leaves around 12M. Let's say JayBo signs around 8M and Komi around 4M. I guess it works. Also like to point out, we could arranger his salary in order to make his cap hit smaller than 8M.

Then, we have Koivu that should re-sign for less. Something like a 3 or 4year deal at 3.5-3-2.5-2, for a 2.8M cap hit. That frees up close to 2M compared to his last hit.
If we can find a way to re-sign Tanguay for another 3years at a decent price, for a smaller hit than 5.2M, then we'd save some more money.

I think it would require a lot of work, but it's still a possibility.
I like your plan. You're it would require a lot of work but is doable.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
  #42
Coach Brisebois*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Convert latendresse to center.


bahaha.
seconded!

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 01:37 PM
  #43
goman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Trade for Jordan Staal.
Sign Robert Lang.
Sign John Madden.

Also...
Sign Kovalev.
Sign Tanguay.

Higgins - Staal - A. Kostitsyn
Tanguay - Lang - Kovalev
Latendresse - Madden - Lapierre
Pacioretty - Metropolit - Laraque

Or something like that. All of a sudden you've got loads of size up the middle.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 05:17 PM
  #44
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,752
vCash: 500
Just keep watching the UFA market, keep drafting and developing, and keep our fingers crossed.

Oh sure, if anybody throws an incredible trade offer our way, that'd be wonderful, but it's very unlikely to happen, so I wouldn't bother speculating or trying to think of any solutions coming via trade.

Most likely we just have to find the best patchwork solution we can. Make it a priority to re-sign Koivu so that we are at least insured against taking a backward step. See if Lang can come back for another year. Hope Plekanec rebounds. Shore up some of the other weaknesses on the team that we have a better chance at shoring up via this summer's UFA crop. There's room for improvement on D and with some wingers too. If those are the commodities which are available on the UFA market, and if the centers are not available, so be it. Make the improvements that can be made, draft, develop, and watch next year's UFA market for a center.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 05:45 PM
  #45
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
I think some trades for these centers would be possibilities

Lecavalier
Jordan Staal
Brandon Bubinsky
Martin Hanzal
Woltek Wolski

We all know that lecavalier is a star, but for the youngs guys they could do the jobs as seconds lines center next year and they have great potentiel with the good use and ice time with goods wingers.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:06 PM
  #46
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,341
vCash: 500
one thing for sure, better get someone, or this team goes no where,

the guys we have a 3rd liners.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
  #47
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyWarrior View Post
I think some trades for these centers would be possibilities

Lecavalier
Jordan Staal
Brandon Dubinsky
Martin Hanzal
Woltek Wolski

We all know that lecavalier is a star, but for the youngs guys they could do the jobs as seconds lines center next year and they have great potentiel with the good use and ice time with goods wingers.
Well, Wolski is no center, and out of the other 4, Lecavalier will cost alot and his contract is huge, Staal could be had for wingers and picks probably, Dubinsky, don't know but he could cost alot too, as for Hanzal I have absolutely no idea what he could cost... puts decent 2nd season number on a sub-par team... but is huge and 21 years old.

Staal might be the best target IMO.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:14 PM
  #48
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Trade for Jordan Staal.
Sign Robert Lang.
Sign John Madden.

Also...
Sign Kovalev.
Sign Tanguay.

Higgins - Staal - A. Kostitsyn
Tanguay - Lang - Kovalev
Latendresse - Madden - Lapierre
Pacioretty - Metropolit - Laraque

Or something like that. All of a sudden you've got loads of size up the middle.
Madden and Metro are quite on the short side... We got already Lang if we want. So Staal, a guy who had played on a third line for three years would be suddenly a number one center ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:33 PM
  #49
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Well, Wolski is no center, and out of the other 4, Lecavalier will cost alot and his contract is huge, Staal could be had for wingers and picks probably, Dubinsky, don't know but he could cost alot too, as for Hanzal I have absolutely no idea what he could cost... puts decent 2nd season number on a sub-par team... but is huge and 21 years old.

Staal might be the best target IMO.
Wolski is a natural center and played at this position in the second half of the season in colorado. Dubinsky would probabluy cost something like staal IMO.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:53 PM
  #50
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyWarrior View Post
Wolski is a natural center and played at this position in the second half of the season in colorado. Dubinsky would probabluy cost something like staal IMO.
Dubinsky would have to stay as a number 2-3 centre. It would not solve our need for a number 1 centre. I am however a fan of poaching from the salary burdened NYR. and wolski... never really been impressed with him except for Shoot outs.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.