HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes in FA Game #3

Old
05-20-2009, 01:38 AM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

vCash: 500
Seems like we're at impasse then. How much is our cap at right now with all the new additions? I'm hesitant to trade away Jovo and obtain JayBo, only to have him cost us more in the long run. Is there any news on a 1st line center out there?

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 04:00 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Jovo and Ohlund reunited would be electric
You know, they generally were not paired in Vancouver.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 04:11 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
You know, they generally were not paired in Vancouver.
Malik was generally Jovo's partner, right? At least the last few years, there. Before that, damn, I can't remember, at all...

It wouldn't have been Aucoin, I'm sure. McCabe had cleared out before Jovo got there, I believe. So...probably Sopel? Maybe even salty old Murray Baron? I feel like I'm missing some obvious old Canucks defender. I'm pretty sure Salo was Ohlund's partner years back. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 04:26 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Very little in toronto interests me. No way should you pay that much for Stajan. Lisin, Porter, AND Lindstrom. Sure they don't want you to throw in a high draft pick, too? You really want Stajan? Offer Lindstrom and Porter for Stajan and a 3rd.

Wait for Ohlund to go UFA. Not a fan of paying for player's negotiating rights. A few exceptions, sure (Jay Bo).
I wanted Stajan, but they won't trade. And I would not have offered all those guys. Exploring prospects and picks for Lisin, Porter or Lindstrom. We're overloaded at forward and can restock SA, grab some picks, or steal a gem.

Agreed on Ohlund. Just found out FAs can be signed starting Saturday. Draft starts Wednesday.

JayBo rights pulled. Going FA. We'll get in the bidding.

Boston having trouble making deals Krejci, Kessel?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 05:03 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pck21 View Post
Seems like we're at impasse then. How much is our cap at right now with all the new additions? I'm hesitant to trade away Jovo and obtain JayBo, only to have him cost us more in the long run. Is there any news on a 1st line center out there?
Center probably going to have to be a UFA or RFA.

We're at 47.355M with 14 forwards; 7 defensemen; 2 goalies.

Doan-Reinprecht/FA-Mueller
Prucha-Lombardi-Upshall
Tikhonov-Hanzal-Clark
Lisin-Turris/Reinprecht-Boedker
Dawes and Lindstrom

Jovo-Michalek
Sauer-Lydman
Picard-Yandle
Klee

Bryz
Montoya

Porter, Perrault, Prust, and Winnik will start in SA, as will Ahnelov. Depending on the FA center we acquire can either move Rhino or start Turris in SA

I'd welcome a top 20 list of UFA/RFA centers and 10 goalies you think we should pursue. Draft starts Wednesday night and I'm hoping for OEL, Cowen or Schroeder at #9.

I'll post draft as it happens and please weigh-in. 2nd round is Thursday.

Old
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
ducky

I really would be concerned about picking Schroeder. He is so small. Just don't feel his game will translate well to the NHL.

I would much rather see you draft Glennie or John Moore if Cowen and OEL are both gone.

Which UFA's will you target?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:00 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Malik was generally Jovo's partner, right? At least the last few years, there. Before that, damn, I can't remember, at all...

It wouldn't have been Aucoin, I'm sure. McCabe had cleared out before Jovo got there, I believe. So...probably Sopel? Maybe even salty old Murray Baron? I feel like I'm missing some obvious old Canucks defender. I'm pretty sure Salo was Ohlund's partner years back. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
My memory is hazy. I believe it was several partners but often Malik. Ohlund usually played with Sopel. This came up a few times before and we luckily had Canucks fans drop by and specify which partners he had and the ones with which he had the most success.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:40 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
In junior, generally your best forwards play center. Just because you are a center in junior doesn't mean your likely to stay at that position as you continue up the pro ranks. Mueller didn't play a whole lot of games at center in his first year. He was primarily a wing by the second or third month, and stayed there, almost full time throughout the majority of his first and second seasons. I wouldn't say that center is his "natural" position. Generally, in the NHL, you want your centers to be your smarter, more responsible forwards. It's more difficult to play center than it is to play wing. I just don't think the things Mueller brings to the table suit him to the center position, at all. He's no good at faceoffs, he doesn't make his linemates better, he doesn't backcheck, and he seems pretty much lost if he's not within twenty feet of the opposing net. To me, that's not a center. Mueller, at this early stage in his young career, is a lazy, soft, one-dimmensional, cherry picking cheater, who reallly only brings to the table a very good shot and the ability to get into the right spot, at the right time, to use it.
Excellent points. I retract my previous statement then.

Old
05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
RR

Quote:
I really would be concerned about picking Schroeder. He is so small. Just don't feel his game will translate well to the NHL.

I would much rather see you draft Glennie or John Moore if Cowen and OEL are both gone.

Which UFA's will you target?
Here's my Draft List. My thinking is if OEL and Cowen are gone, I'd focus on a O player. I like Schroeder and buy into the St. Louis comparsons. I know there is a big split on him, but I agree it is close between him, Leblanc, Kadri, Glennie and Kassian, all much bigger in size.

Ducky, you like Moore over Ellis? Do you like Glennie over Moore? RT and anyone else, please weigh in. I want a unified front going into this thing. I have until 7 pm to reorg my list, but I intend to be at the draft live so the pick will not be auto.

PHOENIX COYOTES DRAFT LIST
PLAYER LIST
1 Tavares, John
2 Hedman, Victor
3 Duchene, Matt
4 Paajarvi-Svensson, Magnus
5 Kane, Evander
6 Schenn, Brayden
7 Ekman-Larsson, Oliver
8 Cowen, Jared
9 Schroeder, Jordan
10 Kulikov, Dmitri
11 Leblanc, Louis
12 Kadri, Nazem
13 Rundblad, David
14 Ellis, Ryan
15 Moore, John
16 Glennie, Scott
17 Josefson, Jacob
18 Kassian, Zack
19 Holland, Peter
20 Erixon. Tim
21 Leddy, Nick
22 Kreider, Chris
23 Ferraro, Landon
24 Ashton, Carter
25 Roussel, Charles
26 Morin, Jeremy
27 de Haan, Calvin
28 Gelinas, Eric
29 Palmieri, Kyle
30 Caron, Jordan

As for Free Agents. Centers are the focus but I will pursue JayBo. Looking at guys Krejci, Kessel, Malhotra, Plekanec, Moore, Dubinsky, Bonk, Grabovski, Lang, Fedorov, Morrison, Christensen, Versteeg, Kovlov. Most of the FAs are value guys other than the obvious few gems.

Once the FAs start rolling deals become more likely as teams again clear space after signing the Sedins (Vancouver paid $8M for each one) and other high-priced forwards, D and goalies.

My top 20 list is:

Old
05-20-2009, 06:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
This a an old post of mine from a couple of months ago...

Quote:
He's the best player and leading scorer for a top program in the NCAA's D1(he's in college a year early and still leads all D1 freshmen in scoring) and was his country's best player and leading scorer at the WJCs(as a 17 year old in an U20 tourney). Both are remarkable accomplishments, considering he's in his draft year. Truly remarkable. I can't think of another player who's done that in recent years.

Check out this list of accomplishments from his bio on Minnesota's website...
Quote:
Quote:
Played the past two seasons with the U.S. National Team Development program in Ann Arbor, Mich. • led the U.S. under-18 national team in scoring with 22-31--53 in 55 games last season • played with the U.S. under-20 national squad at the IIHF World Junior championships in the Czech Republic in 2007-08 and led all players in the tournament with seven assists • helped the under-18 national team to a bronze medal in 2008 and a silver medal in 2007 at the world championships • participated in the U.S. national junior evaluation camp for the second straight year in August 2008 • began the 2006-07 season with the U.S. under-17 team and finished the year with the under-18 squad • played prep hockey at St. Thomas Academy in 2005-06, leading team to a 23-5-1 record and the Class A state championship with 62 points in 31 games
Led the U18 USNTDP in scoring as a sixteen year old. Played as a sixteen year old in last year's U20 WJCs and led ALL players in the tourny in assists.

These are unique accomplishments. His pre-draft resume reads a lot like Phil Kessel's did.
Although, like you, I do share some concerns over how well his game would translate. Having watched him probably fifteen times this season, I've noticed a few things, too. However, I'm not so concerned about whether or not his game will translate, but rather that it will take a lot of time for him to make the necesary adjustments. Honestly, I really think that he'd be much better served in the WHL, at this point. You have less time and space in the 'Dub than you do in D1. In my opinion, the WHL much more closely mirrors the NHL than does D1. Too bad he's a Minnesota boy and probably hasn't even considered considering the major junior route. This makes me think that not only will he need time in the NCAA to grow, but time in the AHL to adjust. There's nothing wrong with that, and even Maloney has said that they want to be more patient with this pick. In fact, I don't think Schroeder will take any longer, and may even take less time than say OEL. It's not really his size that concerns me, though. It's just that he appears too smart for the NCAA game, and you can get by on that there, if you have his talent. I'd like to see him in an environment where it's more in his face, and he has to operate under much more pressure. Where he has to make decisions and plays much quicker. To his credit, he does seem to make the correct play when pressured, it's just that he isn't pressured enough. He's able to just sit back and create. He won't be able to do that at the next levels. He will have to create on the fly, in a split second.

Old
05-20-2009, 06:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

PHOENIX COYOTES DRAFT LIST
PLAYER LIST
1 Tavares, John
2 Hedman, Victor
3 Duchene, Matt
4 Paajarvi-Svensson, Magnus
5 Kane, Evander
6 Schenn, Brayden
7 Ekman-Larsson, Oliver
8 Cowen, Jared
9 Schroeder, Jordan
10 Kulikov, Dmitri
FWIW, the latest incarnation of my ever changing top ten...

1. Tavares
2. Hedman
3. Duchene
4. Schenn
5. Svensson
6. Kane
7. Cowen
8. Schroeder
9. Kadri
10. Larsson

Old
05-20-2009, 07:17 PM
RR

Draft has started:

NYI -- TAVERES
TBL -- HEDMAN
COL -- DUCHENE
ATL -- MSP
LAK -- KANE
OTT -- SCHENN
TOR -- COWEN
NSH -- SCHROEDER
PHX -- OEL
EDM -- KADRI
DAL -- KULIKOV
TBL -- JOSEFSON
BUF -- KASSIAN
FLA -- LeBLANC
ANA -- ELLIS
CLB -- HOLLAND
STL -- MOORE
OTT -- GLENNIE
NYR -- FERRARO
CGY -- SHORE
PHI -- BUDISH
VAN -- ELLIOTT
TOR -- RUNDBLAD
WAS -- DESPRES
BOS -- LEDDY
NYI -- CARON
CAR -- ASHTON
CHI -- KREIDER
PIT -- PALMIERI
DET -- WEREK
END ROUND 1

Last edited by RR: 05-21-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old
05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
ducky

I would bump Kulikov down the list...below Kadri, Schroeder, Ellis, Moore, and Glennie.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 07:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd probably go with Cowen, if he's there. He impressed me more than any other player at last year's Memorial Cup. The year BEFORE his draft year he was an absolute shut-down MONSTER. He was more impressive last year than Boedker(a year older), and much, much more impressive than Ellis, Kulikov, or Caron have been THIS year. Honestly, I was more impressed by him than I am with Taylor Hall, this year, too. I'll admit the knee scares the crap out of me, but if it weren't for the injury, I'd probably have him third overall. At worst, fourth. To me, that makes him a pretty big gamble at six, but pretty much a no brainer at nine. At least for me.

Old
05-20-2009, 08:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I would bump Kulikov down the list...below Kadri, Schroeder, Ellis, Moore, and Glennie.
I pretty much agree. Maybe not below Ellis, though. I've seen about equal parts of he and Kulikov, and they seem about equal. Considering that, I'll have to go with the Kulikov hype. He's bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, and they SAY he's the supeior passer. To me, Ellis has shown that he's got some heart, a good attitude, and a great shot. Kulikov just has more tools, even if Ellis is more likely to work with what he's got(which isn't a whole lot, unfortunately).

Old
05-20-2009, 08:08 PM
RR

OEL is ours

Old
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Nevermind, damn Toronto! I'd probably go Kadri, I suppose. Or maybe swing for the fences with OEL. I just get nervous about OEL. I think a lot of the hype may be coming out of rectums, on this kid. Who has really seen him? He plays on a junior club in Sweden. It's not the SEL, and he hasn't been in the major international tournaments, that I know of. I'm sure the REAL scouts see plenty of him and have a good idea of what they're getting, but I question all the scouting service magazines and all the bloggers and all the posters around here that act like he's the second coming. I mean, really, how many U20 Swedish Jr. games have they seen? Plus, a year ago, nobody had ever heard of him. Sometimes those guys turn out to be the steals of their drafts, but often times they end up flashes in the pan like Andrew Ladd and Benoit Pouliot who recently came out of total obscurity to become top five picks. I don't know. OEL is an unknown, to me. Kadri, I've seen, and I like. He has good tools, and steps up his game when it matters. I don't get all of the "soft" BS, either. He has looked anything but soft when I've seen him. His biggest drawback for me was that he was too raw. He was seventeen, of course he was raw.

EDIT: WHOOPS! Nevermind, AGAIN! HAHA!

Old
05-20-2009, 08:38 PM
RR

Quote:
Nevermind, damn Toronto! I'd probably go Kadri, I suppose. Or maybe swing for the fences with OEL. I just get nervous about OEL. I think a lot of the hype may be coming out of rectums, on this kid. Who has really seen him? He plays on a junior club in Sweden. It's not the SEL, and he hasn't been in the major international tournaments, that I know of. I'm sure the REAL scouts see plenty of him and have a good idea of what they're getting, but I question all the scouting service magazines and all the bloggers and all the posters around here that act like he's the second coming. I mean, really, how many U20 Swedish Jr. games have they seen? Plus, a year ago, nobody had ever heard of him. Sometimes those guys turn out to be the steals of their drafts, but often times they end up flashes in the pan like Andrew Ladd and Benoit Pouliot who recently came out of total obscurity to become top five picks. I don't know. OEL is an unknown, to me. Kadri, I've seen, and I like. He has good tools, and steps up his game when it matters. I don't get all of the "soft" BS, either. He has looked anything but soft when I've seen him. His biggest drawback for me was that he was too raw. He was seventeen, of course he was raw.

EDIT: WHOOPS! Nevermind, AGAIN! HAHA!
I've read some good stuff on OEL from several sources. Red Line wrote this:
"Dynamic wheels -- just dances along the ice. Incredibly fluid athlete. So calm and poised under pressure. Superb, crisp passer. Shot could use improvement. Super soft hands for giving/receiving passes -- handles tough passes in skates without breaking stride. Plays more physically in games against North American teams. Uses stick to disrupt passing very well during PK duty."

Old
05-21-2009, 12:11 AM
RR

Does this make any sense:
Florida sends Horton, Ellerby, Leblanc to Boston for
Krejci, Leddy ?

Old
05-21-2009, 12:21 AM
RR

Quote:
Draft has started:

NYI -- TAVERES
TBL -- HEDMAN
COL -- DUCHENE
ATL -- MSP
LAK -- KANE
OTT -- SCHENN
TOR -- COWEN
NSH -- SCHROEDER
PHX -- OEL
EDM -- KADRI
DAL -- KULIKOV
TBL -- JOSEFSON
BUF -- KASSIAN
FLA -- LeBLANC
ANA -- ELLIS
CLB -- HOLLAND
STL -- MOORE
OTT -- GLENNIE
NYR -- FERRARO
CGY -- SHORE
PHI -- BUDISH
VAN -- ELLIOTT
TOR -- RUNDBLAD
WAS -- DESPRES
BOS -- LEDDY
NYI -- CARON
CAR -- ASHTON
CHI -- KREIDER
PIT -- PALMIERI
DET -- WEREK
END ROUND 1
Round 2 Thursday night. We pick at #16.

Old
05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Does this make any sense:
Florida sends Horton, Ellerby, Leblanc to Boston for
Krejci, Leddy ?

Boston seems to be in cap trouble then...however...why is Florida trading Horton when JayBo will be gone? Who is going to lead the team?

Old
05-21-2009, 03:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It's kind of stupid to have Leddy and LeBlanc in there, but other than that, it's not the worst thing I've ever seen. Florida needs a top center, and Boston already has three.

Old
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pck21 View Post
Who is going to lead the team?
Bouwmeester is a mute, and Horton was an Olli lackey. They've got Booth, Ballard, and others.

Old
05-21-2009, 04:25 PM
RR

Quote:
Bouwmeester is a mute, and Horton was an Olli lackey. They've got Booth, Ballard, and others.
Commish vetoed it Turned out Boston never confirmed approval. Based on what Boston asked us for Krejci I thought the deal insane, especially with Horton's contract.

Old
05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
RR

Shoot me if you want but I just moved Lisin
We received Pittsburgh's 2nd rounder in 2010, D prospect Chris Sneep, and W prospect Nick Johnson. Reports on them are below.

My reasoning is this:
1) We have a logjam at forward and it saves us $1M in this game.
2) Maloney wants to sign him to a 2-way deal so realistically the organization is willing to lose him to the KHL.
3) In this FA game in 2010 we now have our 1st and Calgary's 1st; our 2nd and Pittsburgh's 2nd; our 3rd; and our 4th and Buffalo's 4th. That's A LOT of chips.
4) Both prospects have shown solid progression, and fit our system well. Johnson will play in SA, Sneep has another year at BC. We don't need to rush either.

Nick Johnson, RW - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, AHL
Acquired: 3rd round, 67th overall, 2004

After scoring 14 goals, 10 assists, in just 18 games in the ECHL, Johnson was recalled to the AHL for added scoring depth and has not looked back. The 23-year-old winger finished the season with 14 goals, 17 assists in 56 games. Johnson's style of game can best be described as a mix of grit and skill. He finishes all of his checks and has dropped the gloves twice this past season but has also shown enough panache with the puck to suggest he possesses natural goal-scoring ability.
Johnson was among the top players for the Penguins during the playoffs. He started off slow in the first round against Bridgeport, posting only two assists in five games. In the second round match against Hershey however, Johnson exploded with four goals and four assists in seven games.

Carl Sneep, D – Boston College
Acquired: 2nd round, 32nd overall, 2006

In his junior year playing for the Boston College Eagles, Sneep has established himself as a dependable two-way presence along the blue line. Although he is not a prolific passer, the Minnesota native has shown poise on the Eagles power play. Sneep’s greatest asset, however, is his willingness to sacrifice his body for the team. Sidelined last spring because of an injury due to blocking a shot, the 21-year-old has continued to get in passing lanes, block shots, and create chaos for opposing forwards. The 6’3 210lb defenseman brings two things to the Penguins organization that most of their prospects lack: size and a right-handed shot. Despite the fact that Sneep does not play overly physical, his mobile, two-way style could nicely compliment one of the Penguins many left-handed defenders.

You may give me a thumps up, thums done, meh or blow-the-brains out emoticon. But I like the deal.