HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Playing GM

Old
05-18-2009, 05:06 PM
kovalost27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i doubt komisarek only takes 4 mil since he seems to want to leave and how does stewart get 1 mil? Unless there's a contract i'm unaware to, no way he makes more than lapierre.
okay. .6 for Stewart and 4.4 for Komisarek. Komisarek isn't gonna get a 5-6 million dollar contract, especially after the season he had.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

komisarek and tanguay will each get more than 4 mil. In tanguay`s case, the only way I see him accepting 4 mil is if he gets one of those insane 7 or 8 year deals.... a lifetime contract in his case.

Komi will probably earn about 5 mil or slightly north of that.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Stradale

wow.. cant believe so many of you guys wants Plekanec as our 1st center.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:03 PM
tinyzombies

Hire Hartley to coach (he got along well with Kovalchuk and Kovalchuk added new dimensions to his game under Hartley...maybe not a coincidence).

Markov in a package to Atlanta for Kovalchuk, sign him forever.

Resign Koivu and Kovalev to similar short-term incentive laden contracts (for Kovy). No more than two years tho.

Sign Bouwmeester, Beauchemin, Neil and Emelin.

Neil is our answer to Thornton and Lucic and whoever amongst Boston's middleweights. Keep Laraque for road games in case Chara gets cute. If we can steal Thornton away, DO IT.

Work the kids into the defense: O'Byrne, Emelin for now.

Dump the rest, but resign the RFA's (the ones we haven't traded). Let Komisarek walk.

If there's room, sign Tanguay too, but I doubt there would be room. Lang would be great instead maybe if cheap.

Kovalchuk-Koivu-SKostitsyn
AKostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Lats-Lapierre-Neil
whoever-Chipchura-Kosto
Laraque

Bouwmeester-Beauchemin
Hamrlik-Gorges
Emelin-O'Byrne
whoever

Price/Halak

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-18-2009 at 06:34 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:25 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer View Post
I think the one season contract route is where Gainey will go with Plekanec and Higgins but I do see a bit of a raise for Plek based on his 68 point season last year. He should probably get more based on that but will probably take less as his confidence is shot. I see Higgins getting close to what Plekanec gets.
Both are up for arbitration and it is up to them to go that route. If they do choose that route then it more than likely will be a 1 year deal. There is precedent for a 2 year deal but that is rare.

I do think Gainey tries to lock up Higgins longer term. He showed where he was most useful late in the season as a shutdown guy. Gainey just needs to bring in players that can play with him in that same role.

No matter what though both players will get a raise. If they are qualified only that is an automatic 10% raise and I bet they opt for arbitration where they are more than like getting a bigger raise.

As for the lesser RFA's it may be beneficial to just qualify them if that is the route Gainey wants to take. However, that does not instill confidence in the players at all. Signing them to at least a 2 year deal is more likely. Remember Dags and Stewart and Chips can still be sent to the minors so the CAP hit is not that much. The rest of the RFA's you mentioned I would have no issue with 2 way deals and what not for them.

HabsAtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:33 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Tanguay (4) - Plekanec(2) - Kovalev (4) = 10.5
Knuble (3.25) - Koivu (4) - Higgins (2) = 9.5
SKost (.8) - Lang (3.25) - A Kost (3) = 7.3
Metropolit (1) - Lapierre (.7) - Laraque(1.5)/Stewart(1) = 4.2
Total = 30.5

Markov (5.75) - Komisarek (4) = 9.75
Hamrlik (5.5) - Schneider (3) = 8.5
Gorges (1.1) - Weber (.8) = 3.9
Bouillon (2)
Total = 22.5

Price (2.2)
Halak (.78)
Total = 3

=56mil
With an extra spare, just fitting!
The CAP will probably be 55m for 2009-2010. I do like Knuble and I believe that would be right around the amount we would need to offer him to come here. Lang is a little overpriced and more than likely he signs a 1yr deal (if healthy) for 1.5m with bonuses.

Since there are 2 years left on the CBA again it reverts back to the way it was before last year. Bonuses are not counted against the CAP until the end of the year when they are confirmed. Then they can be spread over 2 years. So, you have more room than you think given Price has a 1.35m bonus in his salary. Heck, even SK and Weber have bonuses of about 550k in there salaries so there is an added savings. Schneider would most definitely have bonuses attached to his salary too if resigned.

I do think Pleks is not a number centre or even a number 2. I see him more of #3 in depth. I think he fits there much better then being relied upon to carry an offense. I see Ben Maxwell in 2 years being the #2 centre on the team.

Old
05-18-2009, 06:35 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takabru View Post
The CAP will probably be 55m for 2009-2010. I do like Knuble and I believe that would be right around the amount we would need to offer him to come here. Lang is a little overpriced and more than likely he signs a 1yr deal (if healthy) for 1.5m with bonuses.

Since there are 2 years left on the CBA again it reverts back to the way it was before last year. Bonuses are not counted against the CAP until the end of the year when they are confirmed. Then they can be spread over 2 years. So, you have more room than you think given Price has a 1.35m bonus in his salary. Heck, even SK and Weber have bonuses of about 550k in there salaries so there is an added savings. Schneider would most definitely have bonuses attached to his salary too if resigned.

I do think Pleks is not a number centre or even a number 2. I see him more of #3 in depth. I think he fits there much better then being relied upon to carry an offense. I see Ben Maxwell in 2 years being the #2 centre on the team.
Too wussy, we need to toughen up more than that.

Old
05-18-2009, 06:37 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
last year sergei jump started andrei's season. This year they are a bad influence on each other.... Therefore on this one, I disagree... Detroit is patient with his young guns. I want to be patient with my young guns!

Halak is not a #1 goalie just like Mathieu Garon wasn't a #1 goalie.
Halak did what he was suppose to do this year. play well when price is down/injured/sick. I understand the reason why you want a veteran backup for him. I don't see why boucher would come here vs staying in SJ with a winning team+ Nabokov as shown that he can't play more than 55 games. In the playoffs he was average.
I dont remember Sergei jump starting Andre's season last year. I remember Kovalev and Pleks and Him having awesome chemistry for the longest time and scoring at will it seemed. I dont think Sergei had anything to do with that. But we are allowed to disagree on this and if you think I am wrong in my evaluation I am fine with that and can respect that.

As for the Halak and Boucher thing I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on that one too

Old
05-18-2009, 06:41 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Too wussy, we need to toughen up more than that.
I agree we do need to toughen up but in the right ways. Knuble would had toughness to the team if we did convince him to sign here. He is a solid, gritty forward who can score 25 or so goals.

Old
05-18-2009, 06:45 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I agree we do need to toughen up but in the right ways. Knuble would had toughness to the team if we did convince him to sign here. He is a solid, gritty forward who can score 25 or so goals.
I don't mind him, but he can't skate and he's only a minor tweak. I think this team needs more than that imo, but I could be wrong.

Old
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
komisarek and tanguay will each get more than 4 mil. In tanguay`s case, the only way I see him accepting 4 mil is if he gets one of those insane 7 or 8 year deals.... a lifetime contract in his case.

Komi will probably earn about 5 mil or slightly north of that.
At some point over the next month and half the players are going to have to realise that getting way overpaid for their services is not going to happen anymore. At least not with the smart GM's. If some GM wants to overpay for your services now, in this economic situation, as a player I would be asking myself, am I in this just for the money or do I want to win. Because if you take the overpayment then the team you are playing for is not going to be that good.

It will take a lot of luck for a team that overpays its perceived star players to compete on a daily basis. Take for example Mike Komisarek. If everything, everyone says comes true and he signs with the Islanders (for example) and they pay him 6m a season for the next 5-7 years. Do you really want that contract on the books in 2 to 3 years when you have all the RFA's and other UFA's to sign. Potentially, you could have Hedman at 5m and Komisarek at 6m. Good luck bringing back Streit or signing another offensive D-man. It just wont work when the CAP hits 48m. Remember you gotta pay those young forwards too.

So, lets just hope there is some common sense that enters into the minds of the players and owners and more realistic contracts are signed. Because I would hate for Komisarek's talent to be wasted because he signed a lucrative contract.

Old
05-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
At some point over the next month and half the players are going to have to realise that getting way overpaid for their services is not going to happen anymore. At least not with the smart GM's. If some GM wants to overpay for your services now, in this economic situation, as a player I would be asking myself, am I in this just for the money or do I want to win. Because if you take the overpayment then the team you are playing for is not going to be that good.

It will take a lot of luck for a team that overpays its perceived star players to compete on a daily basis. Take for example Mike Komisarek. If everything, everyone says comes true and he signs with the Islanders (for example) and they pay him 6m a season for the next 5-7 years. Do you really want that contract on the books in 2 to 3 years when you have all the RFA's and other UFA's to sign. Potentially, you could have Hedman at 5m and Komisarek at 6m. Good luck bringing back Streit or signing another offensive D-man. It just wont work when the CAP hits 48m. Remember you gotta pay those young forwards too.

So, lets just hope there is some common sense that enters into the minds of the players and owners and more realistic contracts are signed. Because I would hate for Komisarek's talent to be wasted because he signed a lucrative contract.
You are absolutely right in theory.

But it never ceases to amaze me how these owners continuously shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to a bidding war on the free market, and even though the cap is stabilizing this year, I dont expect the managers and owners to get any smarter.

I dont think montreal is at the stage where players will give them a paycut to stay because it is not a winning market. Detroit has earned that respect, and montreal lost it many years ago. So I do think that komi will report to the highest bidder.

I dont know what the thought process becomes in a bidding war, but the result often means that the player gets a sweet deal, and the fans are left scratching their heads.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 01:14 AM
nodice
Registered Lurker

great post Takabru!

good read.

too many moves to be realistic imho, but all very interesting well thought out stuff.

i still think that one big move would be more realistic and that one move could drastically change this team... yes that one move.

i don't expect it to happen, so i think they should keep the team close to what we had and make small improvements, waiting for a chance at a true #1 center. i wanted to pull my hair out watching the Kostitsyn's this year, but we can't give up on them, unless they are part of a truly big trade.

nodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 04:19 AM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodice View Post
great post Takabru!

good read.

too many moves to be realistic imho, but all very interesting well thought out stuff.

i still think that one big move would be more realistic and that one move could drastically change this team... yes that one move.

i don't expect it to happen, so i think they should keep the team close to what we had and make small improvements, waiting for a chance at a true #1 center. i wanted to pull my hair out watching the Kostitsyn's this year, but we can't give up on them, unless they are part of a truly big trade.
Yeah I like to put thought into my fantasy transactions. I do think 1 big move would be enough I just haven't figured it out. I have a spreadsheet with over 15 sheets so far trying to put together a team that I like and everyone would like. It's a passion of mine lol.

I do think the Kostitsyn brothers need to be split up. They react poorly when one of them is in trouble. I know this is natural but it is not good for the team overall. When both are going good everything is fine but as soon as one stumbles or gets in trouble somehow they both suffer. I just think one has to move on. Just my opinion though. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me either which one we keep.

I do have one big move that I worked out if I can find it again (I wrote it down instead of putting it on my spreadsheet) I will post it.
It is way out there hehe.

Last edited by HabsAtak: 05-19-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old
05-19-2009, 04:22 AM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You are absolutely right in theory.

But it never ceases to amaze me how these owners continuously shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to a bidding war on the free market, and even though the cap is stabilizing this year, I dont expect the managers and owners to get any smarter.

I dont think montreal is at the stage where players will give them a paycut to stay because it is not a winning market. Detroit has earned that respect, and montreal lost it many years ago. So I do think that komi will report to the highest bidder.

I dont know what the thought process becomes in a bidding war, but the result often means that the player gets a sweet deal, and the fans are left scratching their heads.
Sometimes I wonder what the owners, GM's, agents and players are thinking when the bidding wars start. Do any of them every stop to think "hey you know this contract we are offering may not be too good for the future?" This is a question I think gets put on the back burner.

Maybe the second to last thing any GM should before going to the owner with the contract he wants to offer is put up a poll on the teams website and ask fans what they think. It can be a simple YAY or NAY poll. What ever the result is determines is next action or response.

Old
05-19-2009, 05:10 AM
11alias11

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder what the owners, GM's, agents and players are thinking when the bidding wars start. Do any of them every stop to think "hey you know this contract we are offering may not be too good for the future?" This is a question I think gets put on the back burner.

Maybe the second to last thing any GM should before going to the owner with the contract he wants to offer is put up a poll on the teams website and ask fans what they think. It can be a simple YAY or NAY poll. What ever the result is determines is next action or response.
Problem with that thinking is it doesn't solve short term problems. A GM's job is a lot like a politician's job, they need to look great in the short term otherwise they won't be around long term. If they think long term the short term suffers & they get the boot. Sucks but that is reality.

11alias11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Mattyb

I am bored so thouhgt i would give this a shot.

To colorado:
Halak
Chipchura

To Montreal:
Wolski

Colorado will either most likley taking a Center with there 3rd overall pick. Giving them a 1-2 center of Stastny and Tavares/Duchene. They get a good up and comming goaltender and a former 1st round draft pick who may need a change of team.

Montreal gets a 2nd line center with some size.

To Atlanta:
Plekanec
A. Kost
S.Kost

To Montreal:
Colby Armstrong
4th overall pick

Atlanta gets a good center to play with kovalchuk and two second line wingers. Rumor has is that Atlanta needs to improve by next year to have a chance to resign kovalchuk.

Montreal gets a second line winger who hits and will fight, and also has some scoring ability.

To Tampa Bay:
4th overall
18th overall
Georges

Re-Sign:
Komi 5yr/20m - Should be our number one priority, we will regret it if he signs elsewhere. Give him the C!

Higgins 4yr/12m - Is RFA and should be signed to around a 3-4 year contract

Tanguay- 5yr/25m- Is still young very good vision and playing with the right center and wing could open up alot of ice for him (see line-up below)

D'ago- 3yr/4m - showed he can score and should be signed

Latendresse- 4yrs/7m- probally his last contract to turn into a power forward

Sign:

Beauchemin 3yr/9m- would help allow this team to have a soild experieced D-man on ever pairing.

Neil-3yr/6m - Would be a very good bottom 6 forward dor us, some socring, tough.

Laperriere-2yrs/2.4m- good fourth line center

Garon/Conklin- 2yr/2m- verteran goaltenders that can win games if asked to, price needs a veteran backup to help mentor and guide him.

Tanguay -Vinny -Patches (Two power forwards will open up ice for tanguay
Higgins - Wolski - Armstrong (all can score and all are defensively responisble)
Lats - Lapierre- D'Ago (good third line this year, D'ago>TK)
Stewart - Laperriere - Neil (i think would frusturate alot of top lines)
ex. Laraque. Metro

Markov- Komi (has worked well in the past)
Hammer- Subban ( I believe subban will make this team out of camp)
Beauchemin -Weber (Think this would be a very good bottom pairng)
ex. O'Byrne, carle, benoit. belle

Price
Conklin/Garon

Salary Cap:
Forwards: 29m
Defence: 21m
Goalies: 3.2m
Total: 53.2m

Head coach: Bob Hatley (experienced, has a ring) 2 year contact
Assistant coach: Patrick Roy (give him the experience, and next head coach of the habs, has been coached by hartley, will be a good mentor for our only franchise player, price)
Asscoiated coach: Muller
Goalie Coach: Francois Allaire (time for a change)

This is hows i would like to see the Habs next year, they get bigger, improve the defence, get a number 1 center.

Flame away haha

Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Puckhead58*

Good Lord....yuck!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Forsead

I would sign as UFA

Alex Tanguay : 5 years, 5 millions/years

Saku Koivu : 3 years, 3,5 millions/years

Mike Komisarek : 6 years, 4,25 millions/years

François Beauchemin : 4 years ,4 millions/years

Ossi Vaananen : 2 years, 1 million/years

Tom Kostopoulos : 3 years 1 million/years

I would do these trades

Montreal : trade the Kostitsyns brothers, Yannick Weber, 1st round draft pick in 2010

Tampa Bay : Vincent Lecavalier, he is the big star center that we need

Montreal : Chris Higgins, Matt D'agostini and Kyle Chipchura

San Jose : Ryane Clowe, he is a second line power forward who can hit an score

Montreal : Thomas Plekanec, Mathieu Carle

Vancouver : Alexandre Burrows, if the canucks are not able to sign sundin or the sedins they would need help at the middle and burrows is exactly what we need, he is a heart and soul, nasty, two-way agitator who cam fight and been in our top six wingers.

Montreal : David Fischer, 4th round draft pick in 2010

Los Angeles : Ted Purcell, he is a young playmaker with great hands

I would also resign the RFAs following

Guillaume Latendresse : 3 years, 1,4 million/years

Greg Stewart : 2 years, 0,7 million/years

Ryane Clowe : 3 years, 3,5 millions/years

My lineup

Tanguay-Lecavalier-Pacioretty
Burrows-Koivu-Ryane Clowe
Latendresse-Lapierre- Ted Purcell
Laraque-Metropolit-Kostopoulos
Stewart

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Beauchemin
Gorges-O'byrne
Vaananen

Price
Halak

Forwards : 29,6 millions
Defense : 22,6 millions
Goalies : 3 millions

Total : 55,2 millions

Head coach : Bob Hartley

With this lineup others teams fans would never again said that we lacks, size, grit and physical play but this is a ideal lineup that will never happens.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 01:19 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyWarrior View Post
I would sign as UFA

Alex Tanguay : 5 years, 5 millions/years

Saku Koivu : 3 years, 3,5 millions/years

Mike Komisarek : 6 years, 4,25 millions/years

François Beauchemin : 4 years ,4 millions/years

Ossi Vaananen : 2 years, 1 million/years

Tom Kostopoulos : 3 years 1 million/years

I would do these trades

Montreal : trade the Kostitsyns brothers, Yannick Weber, 1st round draft pick in 2010

Tampa Bay : Vincent Lecavalier, he is the big star center that we need

Montreal : Chris Higgins, Matt D'agostini and Kyle Chipchura

San Jose : Ryane Clowe, he is a second line power forward who can hit an score

Montreal : Thomas Plekanec, Mathieu Carle

Vancouver : Alexandre Burrows, if the canucks are not able to sign sundin or the sedins they would need help at the middle and burrows is exactly what we need, he is a heart and soul, nasty, two-way agitator who cam fight and been in our top six wingers.

Montreal : David Fischer, 4th round draft pick in 2010

Los Angeles : Ted Purcell, he is a young playmaker with great hands

I would also resign the RFAs following

Guillaume Latendresse : 3 years, 1,4 million/years

Greg Stewart : 2 years, 0,7 million/years

Ryane Clowe : 3 years, 3,5 millions/years

My lineup

Tanguay-Lecavalier-Pacioretty
Burrows-Koivu-Ryane Clowe
Latendresse-Lapierre- Ted Purcell
Laraque-Metropolit-Kostopoulos
Stewart

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Beauchemin
Gorges-O'byrne
Vaananen

Price
Halak

Forwards : 29,6 millions
Defense : 22,6 millions
Goalies : 3 millions

Total : 55,2 millions

Head coach : Bob Hartley

With this lineup others teams fans would never again said that we lacks, size, grit and physical play but this is a ideal lineup that will never happens.
You would trade a 2 guaranteed 20 goal scorers (Higgins and D'agostini) and 2 very good defensive forwards (Higgins and Chipchura) for a 25 goal scorer

Also, Vancouver just signed Burrows for 3 years. Why would they trade him now?

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
You would trade a 2 guaranteed 20 goal scorers (Higgins and D'agostini) and 2 very good defensive forwards (Higgins and Chipchura) for a 25 goal scorer

Also, Vancouver just signed Burrows for 3 years. Why would they trade him now?
I don't think higgins and D'agostini are guaranteed 20 goal scorers and Chipchura has prooven nothing about being a very good defensive forwards in the nhl.

For Burrows I just explain that if they lost sundin or the Sedin they will needs help in the middle if they want to continue to being a good playoff team so this is why they could want plekanec.

Old
05-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
Are you sure cause I didn't throw in any Gainey sucks or the Habs management are stupid comments. It just seems like your only here to bash the Habs mostly Gainey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Just being honnest. We all have it in us to be objective. Try it. Take off the rose coloured glasses and have a good look. If it hurts too much, you can always put them back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
Yea sure, coming from Mr. objectivity, I'll be sure and take off the rose colured glasses, thanks for the tip.
LMAO... Caseofcups telling mtlloveslucic to be more objective is like Dubaya telling Obama to be more diplomatic....

Oh the irony!!!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:27 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyWarrior View Post
I don't think higgins and D'agostini are guaranteed 20 goal scorers and Chipchura has prooven nothing about being a very good defensive forwards in the nhl.

For Burrows I just explain that if they lost sundin or the Sedin they will needs help in the middle if they want to continue to being a good playoff team so this is why they could want plekanec.
Higgins has scored a at least 22 in 3 of his 4 seasons. This year was an abberation.

D'Agostini scored 12 in 53 games in his first full year.

Vancouver will not trade a 28 goal scoring hitting machine for a a small center coming off a horrible season (turtleneck and all)

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
Higgins has scored a at least 22 in 3 of his 4 seasons. This year was an abberation.

D'Agostini scored 12 in 53 games in his first full year.

Vancouver will not trade a 28 goal scoring hitting machine for a a small center coming off a horrible season (turtleneck and all)
It was more the guaranted about the production of higgins and D'agostini that I was not agreeing in. I know that higgins is able to do it at that D'agostini will probably put it one day, but they are not guaranted lol. I also think that plekanec is a more than fine second line center and that this year was an aberration. I could even the trade by removing D'agostini from the SJ trade and putting it with Plekanec.

Old
05-19-2009, 05:18 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyb View Post
I am bored so thouhgt i would give this a shot.

To colorado:
Halak
Chipchura

To Montreal:
Wolski
I have thought of this trade too. Not with the same players involved from Montreal but we get Wolski in return. He is only 22 and has shown some spark. He is big but considered a soft 6'3" player. He could be worked on and would be an ideal number 2 centre for sure.

Quote:
To Atlanta:
Plekanec
A. Kost
S.Kost

To Montreal:
Colby Armstrong
4th overall pick
Believe it or not I think this is the way Montreal will try to go. Even with ownership issues in Atlanta they still need to put a good team on the ice for a couple of reasons. One, if they ever want to keep Atlanta in Atlanta they need to win or show signs of winning now. Second, if they want to keep at least Kovalchuk and still be able to do number 1 above they will need players.

Kovalchuk has already indicated that if there are no signs of the team improving now he will try is luck with other teams. I do know the Thrashers can get a starter with the #4 pick but that would only be one player. Might as well try and get two or three players for that one player now and see what happens.

The #4 overall pick is very much in play.

Quote:
Re-Sign:
Komi 5yr/20m - Should be our number one priority, we will regret it if he signs elsewhere. Give him the C!
I have been shot down several times before with offering this exact same contract to Komi. I think it is the right amount and term but it may take 4.5m per season to get it done. If you can live with it, I would definitely make Komi a priority too.

Quote:
D'ago- 3yr/4m - showed he can score and should be signed
I don't think Dags gets that much a contract. He will either be qualified at a 10% raise for one more year. Or, he gets a 2 year deal for about 1.3m.

The rest I did not have any issue with and was really thought out. I do not think Roy comes in an assistant role though. If he does come to Montreal it will only to be the Head Coach. Other than that well done.