HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playing GM

Old
05-19-2009, 06:35 PM
blarneylad

vCash: 500
Not a bad post at all.

I would like to do the following: bolster our defense!!

Resign Komisarek up to 5mil. Go after both JayBO (he won't sign but go after him), and beauchemin around 3.5 mil.

To bolster our offense: The Sedin Twins.

As THN put it: Put it as paying a player 13M$ a year who consistently scores 160 points a year. Combined they have only missed 1 game in the last 4 seasons.

I'd like to keep: Kovalev, Tanguay

Bye Bye: Kostopolous, boiullon, dandy.

blarneylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:13 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
OK!

Lets have some fun.

Re-Signing;

UFA

Koivu 3 years/9 mil =3 mil per season
Kovalev 2 years/8 mil =4 mil per season
Tanguay 4 years/18 mil =4.5 mil per season
Komisarek 5 years/20 mil =4 mil perseason

RFA

*Matt Smaby 3 years/2.75 mil =917K per season
Latendresse 3 years/ 5 mil =1.67 mil per season
D'Agostini 2 years/1.2 mil =600K per season
Stewart 1 year/525K =525K per season

Trades

Metropolit to whoever wnats him for a draft pick

Plekanec, S Kostitsyn, A Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Halak and Carle to Florida for Tom Nathan Horton , Bryan Allen and Gregory Campbell

Higgins, Ben Maxwell, Josh Gorges, Ryan McDonagh 3rd in 2009 and 1st in 2010 to Tampa Bay for Lecavalier and Matt Smaby

Free Agent Signing

g Scott Clemenssen 2 years/2.5 mil =1.25 mil per season
Martin Havlat 2 years/12 mil =6 mil per season

Tanguay-Lecavalier-Havlat
Horton-Koivu-Kovalev
Latendresse-Lapierre-Pacioretty
Laraque-Campbell-D'Agostini/Stewart

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Allen
Smaby/O'Byrne/Weber

Price
Clemenssen

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Alright.. I'll give it a try. A scenario that doesn't involve any trade.

Re-sign:
Koivu 4 years 12M$ (Cap hit: 3M$) [4, 4, 2.5, 1.5]
Plekanec 2 years 4.8M$ (Cap hit: 2.4M$) [2.2, 2.6]
Lang 1 year 3M$
Tanguay 5 years 23.75M$ (Cap hit: 4.75M$)
Latendresse 2 years 2.5M$ (Cap hit: 1.25M$)
Kovalev 3 years 12M$ (Cap hit: 4M$) [4.4, 4.0, 3.6]
Higgins 2 years 4.6M$ (Cap hit: 2.3M$) [2.1, 2.5]
Kostopoulos 1 year 1M$
D'Agostini 2 years 1.7M$ (Cap hit: 0.850M$)
Chipchura 2 years 1.6M$ (Cap hit: 0.8M$)
Komisarek 5 years 23.75M$ (Cap hit: 4.75M$)
Schneider 1 year 2.75M$

UFA:
Zanon 4 years 12M$ (Cap hit: 3M$)

Lineup baring injuries:
Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Kovalev
A.Kostitsyn-Lang-S.Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Extra: Laraque, Metropolit

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Schneider
Gorges-Zanon
Extra: O'Byrne

I also think Metropolit could be traded to keep Chipchura with the team. D'Agostini and Pacioretty could be sent to/called back from Hamilton if cold streak/injuries happen. Idem for O'Byrne/Weber.

I would of course play the Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev-Markov-Schneider on the first PP unit. Lang-Plekanec-A.Kostitsyn-Hamrlik-S.Kostitsyn would be my second unit.

On the PK, I would use Koivu-Higgins, Lapierre-Kostopoulos and Plekanec-Kovalev.

The Cap Hit for my 23 players roster is 56.597M$. The 1 year-deal of Lang, Kostopoulos and Schneider, who could be replaced by Maxwell, Stewart and Weber for cheaper in 2010-11 should help the team stay below the cap when it will likely drop.

Of course I would like to sign JayBo, of course I would like to trade for a #1 center, but I think if we are less unlucky we could ice 3 competitive lines for most of the year and with a lot of players who can play either wing it is very flexible. I wouldn't be against reuniting the Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev line at even strength either.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post

Re-sign:
Lang 1 year 3M$
Kostopoulos 1 year 1M$
Schneider 1 year 2.75M$

UFA:

Lineup baring injuries:
Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Schneider
Gorges-Zanon

I also think Metropolit could be traded to keep Chipchura with the team. D'Agostini and Pacioretty could be sent to/called back from Hamilton if cold streak/injuries happen. Idem for O'Byrne/Weber.

I would of course play the Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev-Markov-Schneider on the first PP unit. Lang-Plekanec-A.Kostitsyn-Hamrlik-S.Kostitsyn would be my second unit.

On the PK, I would use Koivu-Higgins, Lapierre-Kostopoulos and Plekanec-Kovalev.

The Cap Hit for my 23 players roster is 56.597M$. The 1 year-deal of Lang, Kostopoulos and Schneider, who could be replaced by Maxwell, Stewart and Weber for cheaper in 2010-11 should help the team stay below the cap when it will likely drop.

Of course I would like to sign JayBo, of course I would like to trade for a #1 center, but I think if we are less unlucky we could ice 3 competitive lines for most of the year and with a lot of players who can play either wing it is very flexible. I wouldn't be against reuniting the Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev line at even strength either.
Very well thought out and realistic. you will get a lot of people saying we havent made enough changes.I think addition by subtraction works here. Replacing Brisebois and or Bouillon by Zanon is an upgrade.

The other D-man I would try for is Koistinen and a cheaper replacement in case Schneider asks for too much.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
malton

2 year plan and a complete stretch but here it is

Resign

Koivu - 3 years 9mil (4-3-2)

Kovalev - 3 years 9mil (4-3-2)

Higgins - 3 years 6.6mil (2.2 per)

D'Agostini 2 years 1.8mil (0.9 per)

Latendresse - 3 years 3.6mil (1.2 per)

Chipchura - 2 years 1.6mil (0.8 per)

Schneider - 1 year 3mil

Dandenault - 2 years 2mil (1mil per)

Trades:

To Montreal - Philadelphia's 2009 1st Round Pick, Randy Jones

To Philadelphia - Halak

Why Montreal does it: Stockpiles another first round pick and has Jones' salary off the books at the end of the year

Why Philly does it: Gets them a potential number 1 goalie and frees up cap space to make additional moves.

To Montreal - Jose Theodore, Washington's 2009 first round pick

To Washington - Ryan O'Byrne

Why Montreal does it: Same as the first trade, plus it gives us a backup goalie who has suffered the pressures of the media and can help Price through it.

Why Washington does it: Frees up cap space needed to add pieces to their championship caliber team.

To Montreal - Andrew Ladd, Chicago's 2009 first round pick

To Chicago - Tomas Plekanec

Why Montreal does it: Gets another 1st round pick and adds a young power forward with potential who is an RFA next season.

Why Chicago does it: They get a capable 2nd line center who has offensive upside and is responsible defensively.

and then the big one

To Montreal - Evgeni Malkin

To Pittsburgh - Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Yannick Weber, 18th, 21st, 24th, 29th

Pacioretty – Malkin – Kovalev
Ladd – Koivu – D’Agostini
Higgins – Lapierre – Latendresse
Stewart – Chips – Laraque

Markov – Schneider
Hamrlik – Gorges
Jones - Dandenault
Price
Theodore

The year should be a rough one with a possibility of missed playoffs but the reasoning would be next years free agent pool

2010 offseason

Resign

Maxime Lapierre - 2 years 2.4mil (1.2 per)

Carey Price - 4 years 16mil (4mil per)

Ryan McDonagh - Entry Level Contract

UFA Signings

Ilya Kovalchuk - 8 years 56mil (7mil per)

Anton Volchenkov - 5 years 23.75 (4.75 per)

Johan Hedberg - 2 years 2mil (1mil per)

Kovalchuk – Malkin – Kovalev
Pacioretty – Koivu – D’Agostini
Stewart – Chipcura – Laraque

Markov – Volchenkov
Gorges – Hamrlik
McDonagh – Subban
Dandenault

Price
Hedberg

It's a shame dreams rarely come true.

malton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 02:20 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarneylad View Post
Not a bad post at all.

I would like to do the following: bolster our defense!!

Resign Komisarek up to 5mil. Go after both JayBO (he won't sign but go after him), and beauchemin around 3.5 mil.

To bolster our offense: The Sedin Twins.

As THN put it: Put it as paying a player 13M$ a year who consistently scores 160 points a year. Combined they have only missed 1 game in the last 4 seasons.

I'd like to keep: Kovalev, Tanguay

Bye Bye: Kostopolous, boiullon, dandy.
This is a way to go, although, staying under the CAP will be difficult to do in years after the 2009-2010 season. You may need to trade Markov next year if you have Komi at 5m and the Sedins at 13m. It can be done but there may be some sacrifice later.

HabsAtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 02:24 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
OK!

Lets have some fun.

Re-Signing;

UFA

Koivu 3 years/9 mil =3 mil per season
Kovalev 2 years/8 mil =4 mil per season
Tanguay 4 years/18 mil =4.5 mil per season
Komisarek 5 years/20 mil =4 mil perseason

RFA

*Matt Smaby 3 years/2.75 mil =917K per season
Latendresse 3 years/ 5 mil =1.67 mil per season
D'Agostini 2 years/1.2 mil =600K per season
Stewart 1 year/525K =525K per season

Trades

Metropolit to whoever wnats him for a draft pick

Plekanec, S Kostitsyn, A Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Halak and Carle to Florida for Tom Nathan Horton , Bryan Allen and Gregory Campbell

Higgins, Ben Maxwell, Josh Gorges, Ryan McDonagh 3rd in 2009 and 1st in 2010 to Tampa Bay for Lecavalier and Matt Smaby

Free Agent Signing

g Scott Clemenssen 2 years/2.5 mil =1.25 mil per season
Martin Havlat 2 years/12 mil =6 mil per season

Tanguay-Lecavalier-Havlat
Horton-Koivu-Kovalev
Latendresse-Lapierre-Pacioretty
Laraque-Campbell-D'Agostini/Stewart

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Allen
Smaby/O'Byrne/Weber

Price
Clemenssen
Not bad at all. I have been contemplating the Horton trade too but mine includes just Horton and the Rights to JBo. In my scenario with Horton I do not trade for Lecavalier either.

At first, when I looked at your RFA signings I was like who is Smaby? Then I saw the trade and it all made sense.

A little out there but not that far off if you wanted to drastically overall the Habs and still contend.

Somehow, I get the feeling that Lecavalier is going to be Hab no matter what everyone thinks. It is just a feeling though but I cant shake it. If the right moves are made once he is acquired it could work. It would take some luck and lots of charm from Gainey though.

Old
05-20-2009, 02:33 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post

Re-sign:
Lang 1 year 3M$
Kostopoulos 1 year 1M$
Schneider 1 year 2.75M$

UFA:

Lineup baring injuries:
Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Schneider
Gorges-Zanon

Nice, I never thought of Zanon so I have another D-man to work around. I like the scaled salary for Koivu too and with 4 years he will retire a Hab. In some of my scenarios I have built I sign Koivu to a 1y/4m deal then I sign him next summer to a 3y/6m and build in some bonuses since now he is over 35. Then he retires a Hab too.

I think Koivu has to return. He is very important for the dressing room. He is one of the best captains in the league I think at least.

No trades too. Means the same team roughly as last year. I don't mind that so much because if you take everything out of the equation except injuries the team would have had at least 5 or 6 more wins. That would have been 2 back to back 100 point seasons. So, the team as is can do it. The question becomes can they do it in the playoffs. In 2007-2008 they showed they could in the first round then fell apart when hit all the time in the second round. This past year there was just too much distraction for the team to do what they needed.

I would add one more thing. If we bring in a coach that can role 4 lines on a consistent basis then we will succeed no matter what players we have. The ideal way I see a team competing in the NHL is by having 3 solid lines that play somewhere between 15-19 minutes per game. The range of minutes depends on PP, PK, who is hot and who is not at the time. The fourth line gets somewhere between 10-15 minutes and is the major energy line. With that system anyone can win. So, I like your setup a lot.

Good post.

Old
05-20-2009, 02:40 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by malton View Post
2 year plan and a complete stretch but here it is

Resign

Koivu - 3 years 9mil (4-3-2)

Kovalev - 3 years 9mil (4-3-2)

Higgins - 3 years 6.6mil (2.2 per)

D'Agostini 2 years 1.8mil (0.9 per)

Latendresse - 3 years 3.6mil (1.2 per)

Chipchura - 2 years 1.6mil (0.8 per)

Schneider - 1 year 3mil

Dandenault - 2 years 2mil (1mil per)

Trades:

To Montreal - Philadelphia's 2009 1st Round Pick, Randy Jones

To Philadelphia - Halak

Why Montreal does it: Stockpiles another first round pick and has Jones' salary off the books at the end of the year

Why Philly does it: Gets them a potential number 1 goalie and frees up cap space to make additional moves.

To Montreal - Jose Theodore, Washington's 2009 first round pick

To Washington - Ryan O'Byrne

Why Montreal does it: Same as the first trade, plus it gives us a backup goalie who has suffered the pressures of the media and can help Price through it.

Why Washington does it: Frees up cap space needed to add pieces to their championship caliber team.

To Montreal - Andrew Ladd, Chicago's 2009 first round pick

To Chicago - Tomas Plekanec

Why Montreal does it: Gets another 1st round pick and adds a young power forward with potential who is an RFA next season.

Why Chicago does it: They get a capable 2nd line center who has offensive upside and is responsible defensively.

and then the big one

To Pittsburgh - Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Yannick Weber, 18th, 21st, 24th, 29th

Pacioretty – Malkin – Kovalev
Ladd – Koivu – D’Agostini
Stewart – Chips – Laraque

Markov – Schneider
Hamrlik – Gorges
Jones - Dandenault
Price
Theodore

The year should be a rough one with a possibility of missed playoffs but the reasoning would be next years free agent pool

2010 offseason

Resign

Maxime Lapierre - 2 years 2.4mil (1.2 per)

Carey Price - 4 years 16mil (4mil per)

Ryan McDonagh - Entry Level Contract

UFA Signings

Ilya Kovalchuk - 8 years 56mil (7mil per)

Anton Volchenkov - 5 years 23.75 (4.75 per)

Johan Hedberg - 2 years 2mil (1mil per)

Kovalchuk – Malkin – Kovalev
Pacioretty – Koivu – D’Agostini
Stewart – Chipcura – Laraque

Markov – Volchenkov
Gorges – Hamrlik
McDonagh – Subban
Dandenault

Price
Hedberg

It's a shame dreams rarely come true.
Wow, that is a lot of first round picks. I could only imagine what to do with all those. In fact, I don't think you need to send all 4 for Malkin. I would think that would be a way overpayment for him but in your case it would be really hard for Pitt to turn that down.

I do think none of the players except maybe Halak would bring a 1st round pick though. In the case of Philly I would offer Halak and Chipchura (or Carle) for James Van Riemsdyk. He is a big power forward that is itching to play and with Philly stacked with top 6 forwards they can lose JVR and it would not hurt them.

The other trade I would consider with Philly for Halak is their first and Bourdon. He is a big d-man. Of course, one or two other players (none, or little NHL salary) would need to be included from us. But I think it can be done.

In a dream world this team and the transactions would definitely come true .

Old
05-20-2009, 04:42 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takabru View Post
Wow, that is a lot of first round picks. I could only imagine what to do with all those. In fact, I don't think you need to send all 4 for Malkin. I would think that would be a way overpayment for him but in your case it would be really hard for Pitt to turn that down.

I do think none of the players except maybe Halak would bring a 1st round pick though. In the case of Philly I would offer Halak and Chipchura (or Carle) for James Van Riemsdyk. He is a big power forward that is itching to play and with Philly stacked with top 6 forwards they can lose JVR and it would not hurt them.

The other trade I would consider with Philly for Halak is their first and Bourdon. He is a big d-man. Of course, one or two other players (none, or little NHL salary) would need to be included from us. But I think it can be done.

In a dream world this team and the transactions would definitely come true .
Madness. Pittsburgh would laugh in Gainey's face if he ever offered that. I like the rest of the plan, but I think it's too late if you wait for Kovalchuk to go UFA. Have to get him at the deadline.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Oh brother....

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 04:54 PM
tinyzombies

Get Shero on the phone now if you can pitch this to him. You'll be the greatest GM in the history of the game. I'm assuming those are first rounders btw.

If I were San Jose, I would be making a Malkin/Kovalechuk/Vinny pitch with those schmoes Thornton or Marleau.

Old
05-20-2009, 04:59 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post

Get Shero on the phone now if you can pitch this to him. You'll be the greatest GM in the history of the game. I'm assuming those are first rounders btw.

If I were San Jose, I would be making a Malkin/Kovalechuk/Vinny pitch with those schmoes Thornton or Marleau.
The only way Pitt is going to trade Malkin is if they get 2 or 3 NHL players that make up his 8m contract. They are going to be in CAP trouble as is filling the 23 man roster when the CAP drops to 50m or so. Therefore, trading for Thorton would not be ideal. Trading for Marleau might work for this year alone but that would not be the best value for Malkin.

In the end it will be at least 3 NHL players, a prospect and a pick for Malkin.

Old
05-20-2009, 05:11 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
The only way Pitt is going to trade Malkin is if they get 2 or 3 NHL players that make up his 8m contract. They are going to be in CAP trouble as is filling the 23 man roster when the CAP drops to 50m or so. Therefore, trading for Thorton would not be ideal. Trading for Marleau might work for this year alone but that would not be the best value for Malkin.

We are kidding ourselves if we think they would go that route.

Old
05-20-2009, 05:50 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
We are kidding ourselves if we think they would go that route.
Who Pitt or the Habs?

Old
05-21-2009, 12:40 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Who Pitt or the Habs?
That's an easy choice for us. A second liner with potential for first line, and third liners with mid to low first rounders for a superstar kid. EASY choice for us.

No way Pittsburgh will let that happen, you'll see.

But I'm sure Montreal would be willing to give up more than that. Especially if we are only giving up middling RFA types and have built up a deep group of young players by that point. Then the picks won't hurt as much.

Old
05-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Andy

resign:
Koivu 4 million
Kostopoulos 1 million
Schneider 2.2 million(if contract is resonable)
D'agostini 1.1 million
Latendresse 1.6 million

Sign:
Havlat 6 years 39 million dollars =6.5/year
Beauchemin 3.25
Zanon 3.25 million
Garon 1.2 million (2 year deal)
Zajac (give him a big offer sheet at 4.5 million per year for 4 years)

Trade
Higgins + Halak + D'agostini for Scott Hartnetll

Havlat Zajac A.Kos
Pacioretty Koivu Hartnell
Latendresse Lappiere Sergei
Metropolit Chipchura Kostopoulos
  • Metropolit has played on the wing before and Chips at center gives us more size at that postion
Markov Beachemin
Hamrlik Schneider
Zanon Gorges

Price
Garon

All this is a 53.2 million dollar cap hit, and yes I'm dreaming

Last edited by Andy: 05-21-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 06:48 AM
kovalost27

Quote:
Malkin won't be traded to Montreal. Malkin is Pittsburgh's franchise player: every year he's in the top spots for scoring. Why would Pittsburgh even consider trading Malkin for a couple of 'promising' players that have yet to score in their career what Malkin did this year? Pittsburgh already has depth with the likes of Sykora, Satan, Kunitz, Guerin, etc, alongside Crosby and Malkin.

It would be us considering trading Markov for two or three second pairing-third pairing defensemen and a late first round pick... Guys like Markov are hard to replace, so trading them must have more benefits than the other team's salary dump.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:21 AM
malton

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Malkin won't be traded to Montreal. Malkin is Pittsburgh's franchise player: every year he's in the top spots for scoring. Why would Pittsburgh even consider trading Malkin for a couple of 'promising' players that have yet to score in their career what Malkin did this year? Pittsburgh already has depth with the likes of Sykora, Satan, Kunitz, Guerin, etc, alongside Crosby and Malkin.

It would be us considering trading Markov for two or three second pairing-third pairing defensemen and a late first round pick... Guys like Markov are hard to replace, so trading them must have more benefits than the other team's salary dump.
The difference between us and Pittsburgh is that they have 34mil tied up in 6 players next season and they need to make some moves in order to fill out their roster.

Old
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
otto bond

I'll give it a try and try to be realistic. For example we are not getting Malkin, or very unlikely.

The UFA I sign

Koivu-I give him 2-3 year deal worth 7-9 million/year
Kovalev-I give him the same as Koivu
Tanguay-5 year deal worth 22-25 million
This is my second line and I liked it alot at the end

Komisarek-5-8 year deal with a cap hit of less then 4.5/year
Dandenault-2-3 year with a cap of 1 million a year
Beauchemin-4 year deal worth 15-16 million
Marian Hossa-1-8 year deal with a cap of 7 million
Joey Macdonauld to be back up to Price.
Antropov-4 year deal worth 16 million
Has for rfa, the one I don't trade I sign

For trades, I try everything to get Kovalchuk with an extension to his contract
Plekanec, Weber, Higgins, Carle(throw in) Max Patch and our fist in this year draft and next year's draft for Kovalchuk and Armstrong

I trade Halak with an other prospect to Philly for their 1st round pick

Gives you this

Kovalchuk-Antropov-A.Kostitsyn
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Tender-Lapierre-Armstrong
Stewie-Metro-Laraque/Dandenault

Markov-Komisarek
Beauchemin-Hamerlik
Dandenault/Obyrne-Gorges

Price
Macdonauld

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:31 AM

Here's my offseason plan...

Re-sign Komisarek...long term deal, nothing over 4.5M/yr, front loaded contract.
Re-sign Tanguay...not sure what kind of money/deal he's looking for but i'd do it

Hold no negotiations with either of Koivu or Kovalev until AFTER July 1st...on the first day of free agency, July 1st, throw big money at Bouwemeester to see if he bites. If not, turn my attention to Gaborik/Havlat/Camalleri, then depending on how things go on the UFA front, turn my attention to Kovalev/Koivu/Lang and attempt to re-sign one or two of them at the most to fill out the roster.

*And obviously, keep looking at trade/RFAtender sheet scenarios that may come along...some teams will be looking to offload big contracts because of the economic situation and uncertainty of the cap and the Habs have tons of cap space available, i'd rather risk taking on a big contract that might not be working out elsewhere, then invest 8-9M into 'over-the-hill' players.

Last edited by 417: 05-21-2009 at 09:36 AM.
417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:04 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Here's my offseason plan...

Re-sign Komisarek...long term deal, nothing over 4.5M/yr, front loaded contract.
Re-sign Tanguay...not sure what kind of money/deal he's looking for but i'd do it

Hold no negotiations with either of Koivu or Kovalev until AFTER July 1st...on the first day of free agency, July 1st, throw big money at Bouwemeester to see if he bites. If not, turn my attention to Gaborik/Havlat/Camalleri, then depending on how things go on the UFA front, turn my attention to Kovalev/Koivu/Lang and attempt to re-sign one or two of them at the most to fill out the roster.

*And obviously, keep looking at trade/RFAtender sheet scenarios that may come along...some teams will be looking to offload big contracts because of the economic situation and uncertainty of the cap and the Habs have tons of cap space available, i'd rather risk taking on a big contract that might not be working out elsewhere, then invest 8-9M into 'over-the-hill' players.
I like him but can he play a full year?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I like him but can he play a full year?
Can Kovalev? Can Koivu? Can Komisarek?

most here think it's a no brainer to re-sign those guys, and while I agree it's a risk to sign Gaborik...I think the potential payoff, especially considering our lack of impact player the last 15 years, is too great to ignore

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
malton

i just think this years FA pool is watered down and it would be in our best interests to save the space and throw money at better FA's next offseason.

Old
05-21-2009, 11:53 AM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post

Pitt will trade Malkin because they will not be able to afford both crosby and Malkin at 8.7m. It is all about the CAP. Now the question remains do they trade Malkin this summer or next summer. If I was Pitt I would consider trading him this year, maybe during the season for 2 or 3 established NHL players. Now, whether or not Montreal has the players Pitt wants remains to be seen. Of course, a pick and a prospect would have to go too.