HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pants or girdle?

Old
05-18-2009, 08:58 AM
The Bad Lieutenant

vCash: 500
Pants or girdle?

Thinking about buying a new set of pants. But, I was also checking out girdles. I have never tried one and was wondering if anybody had any feedback on which they prefer? Thanks in advance!

The Bad Lieutenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Saved*

I've been told that girdles offer more flexibility and comfort. I've been wanting to try it, but it's kind of like a mirrored visor, colored laces type thing to me.. I don't want to draw attention to myself.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
StaalForOne
#FreeBeau

Send a message via AIM to StaalForOne
i wear a rbk girdle over under armour pants. i had the girdle first but i began getting rashes from my shin pads and bought the pants to wear under.

StaalForOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:03 PM
94now

There are not so many Ice Hockey girdles. Eason, Bauer CCM and Tackla make them one model each. I wear CCM Pro for a few years. No way someone can tell or cares. I am not going back to pants, although after all that time the original girdle is falling apart taking 3 times a week of use. It gives you freedom the hockey equipment usually takes away. Complains? While blocking the shots, once or twice the puck got between the pads covering front of the leg and I have to cope with the sting. No other, besides I'd like it to last forever, like pants.

Last edited by 94now: 05-18-2009 at 01:09 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:22 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
I've been told that girdles offer more flexibility and comfort. I've been wanting to try it, but it's kind of like a mirrored visor, colored laces type thing to me.. I don't want to draw attention to myself.
How can guys tell?

I have a couple teammates who wear girdles, once they put the shells on you don't notice anything different. Once you walk out of the locker room, there's no way to tell. Guys in the locker room will obviously know, but trust me, they don't care.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Lieutenant View Post
Thinking about buying a new set of pants. But, I was also checking out girdles. I have never tried one and was wondering if anybody had any feedback on which they prefer? Thanks in advance!
I think in this day and age of technological advances for pants and girdles that both would offer some comfort.

I retired my CCM Supra hockey pants circa 1991 as they felt bulky and restrictive in movement.

I wear a girdle now and a rollerhockey full length pant shell and am happy as crap with them.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 10:13 PM
iceman_88888888

if you can't decide on a pant or girdle, get yourself the rbk 9k pant... it's not really a pant or a girdle... it's kinda like rbk couldn't quite decide what it wanted to make so it put them all together. the shell is removable and contains a little extra padding than a regular shell while the girdle is not as padded as a normal girdle but is more flexible. either way, it's got everything combined for you in one. but the price point is outrageous!

i've worn them both as a youth and now as an adult. girdles seem to provide more protection and as you change teams, all you have to do is change the shell to match (which is quite nice). also, because the girdle is tight to your body, it feels a little lighter. but i've found that girdles restrict movement quite a bit. pants offer a little less protection but they're less restrictive and allow you to move around more. the downside is that the weight is away from the body so it can feel a little heavier.

anyways, my take is to get yourself a super light-weight pant. the taklas have some of the best and they're not super expensive. they're flexible but have a ton of protection.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:36 AM
FelixPotvin

For ice I'm a pants guy. I do girdle and shell for inline but for ice when I skate out I've just always done pants. Not sure why. Just used to them I guess.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 11:59 PM
RaoulDuke2k

I have a Bauer Supreme girdle and it's great. It's like a spandex material and just moves with you. Sometimes pants can feel like you're wearing a barrel around your midsection, whereas this one isn't confining at all. My brother has a Tackla one and that's good too - never had issues with protection.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 12:07 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
There are not so many Ice Hockey girdles. Eason, Bauer CCM and Tackla make them one model each. I wear CCM Pro for a few years. No way someone can tell or cares. I am not going back to pants, although after all that time the original girdle is falling apart taking 3 times a week of use. It gives you freedom the hockey equipment usually takes away. Complains? While blocking the shots, once or twice the puck got between the pads covering front of the leg and I have to cope with the sting. No other, besides I'd like it to last forever, like pants.
Bauer makes two models- the supreme and the vapor. The supreme is basically the old cooper girdle (as worn with cooperalls), and the vapor is a tank. Tons of protection.

The primary reason to buy a girdle, that it was more mobile then pants, has pretty much been solved by european cut pants and new engineering and technology. the only real reason left is that you can change colors easily.

Just try a few pants on, I recommend tackla. Great mobility and protection, pants are their primary product so they put a ton of effort into them.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
CaptBrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
if you can't decide on a pant or girdle, get yourself the rbk 9k pant... it's not really a pant or a girdle... it's kinda like rbk couldn't quite decide what it wanted to make so it put them all together. the shell is removable and contains a little extra padding than a regular shell while the girdle is not as padded as a normal girdle but is more flexible. either way, it's got everything combined for you in one. but the price point is outrageous!

i've worn them both as a youth and now as an adult. girdles seem to provide more protection and as you change teams, all you have to do is change the shell to match (which is quite nice). also, because the girdle is tight to your body, it feels a little lighter. but i've found that girdles restrict movement quite a bit. pants offer a little less protection but they're less restrictive and allow you to move around more. the downside is that the weight is away from the body so it can feel a little heavier.

anyways, my take is to get yourself a super light-weight pant. the taklas have some of the best and they're not super expensive. they're flexible but have a ton of protection.
I'll agree on all points on the 9K. Fabulous pant/girdle/thing, more than a bit pricy. Other shells can ba a tad bit loose as only the original ones loop through the velcro and stuff correctly but it's not the end of the world. Also, there are no suspender buttons, if that's your preference. I've never found a need for them on this pant though it stays up fine with the strapping system.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
94now

Just retired my CCM Pro girdle after replacing it with CCM Vector girdle. What an improvement! That beats any Tackla pants I ever tried. BTW Tackla makes ice girdles too.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 08:37 PM
bmundus

girdle! when i made the switch to a girdle my game got better. my ccm girdle even has a place for a cup. no need to wear a jock. not really a good reason to switch, but...
if you play ice and roller, its perfect. i'm tall and skinny-ish, girdle was the only thing that really fit right. its all about fit, so buy what fits you well.

bmundus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Placebo Effect

I've been thinking about going with the girdle option, so you just get a girdle and wear the shell over it?

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 03:02 PM
bmundus

yes, i just leave my girdle in the shell.

Old
07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
londonkni14

my friend uses one and you just use a pant cover. my team has to wear navy pants covers and i was thinking about gitting one.

londonkni14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
bmundus

i would go with a shell like this http://www.hockeygiant.com/eas07stlshlsr.html or http://www.hockeygiant.com/eassyn700shlsr.html .
the extra kidney/stomach padding is nice especially if you don't like wearing shoulder pads that go down to your stomach or if your tall(6'4) like me.

Old
07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
AngryBoss

I'm probably going to go with a girdle soon.

I'm 6'1" but I have very long legs so I can never find any pants that go low enough.
And I can't really afford to pay $200 for a Tackla+ pant to do that.

What really stinks is that there aren't any sporting good stores anywhere near my house that sell girdles. I'll have to order online I guess. Bummer.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
bmundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
I'm probably going to go with a girdle soon.

I'm 6'1" but I have very long legs so I can never find any pants that go low enough.
And I can't really afford to pay $200 for a Tackla+ pant to do that.

What really stinks is that there aren't any sporting good stores anywhere near my house that sell girdles. I'll have to order online I guess. Bummer.
yea i had the same prob. i wear my girdle low and pul my shell with kindey pad(old coopers) up high to cover what the girdle doesnt. works for me and i'm 6'4.