HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

eric cole

Old
05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
fogducker

vCash: 500
eric cole

what is he worth this offseason?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
what is he worth this offseason?
2-2.5 if not less.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:20 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
If you believe that his "worth" is 2-2.5, you don't think a team will offer him more to get him? Similar to Komisarek, he may be 1 of the top UFA D players available, no way he deserves more then 4, but I'm quite sure he gets more then 4 somewhere. Cole is a power forward, not a lot of those, and he currently makes 4 already. No way he takes a cut as a UFA

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:41 PM
8BostonRocker24

Michael Ryder money... 3 years, $12.0 million.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I wouldn't pay him more than 3 million.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

he is worth more to carolina then anyone

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

If Carolina doesn't sign him, and he ends up some place else, then he's gonna get over paid, probably by quite a bit.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Cal

to his credit, his drop off in production is certainly not for lack of effort. he brought it every night and worked his ass off in edmonton. i really dunno what happened to him, he just lost his hands...

Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

My guess is that it's pretty much a given that re-signs in Carolina... so whatever his worth is on the market, is really irrelevant, because I don't think he even goes till July 1st without a contract.

Just given his entire season - getting moved to Edmonton and not liking it there and not really fitting in, and then going back to Carolina and just being such a perfect fit again on that team, I doubt that through that experience he'll want to sign anywhere else.

So really it comes down to what makes sense for Carolina since they'll get first chance at him, and he's likely to take a reasonable offer from them than go to FA.

My guess is that he gets $3mill/yr over 4 or 5 years to remain in Carolina.... a discount without testing FA, but I think he realizes the value in staying in a comfortable situation after his experiences this past year.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Not impressed with what i have been seing from him so far in the playoffs.
2 assists in 14 games in the playoffs after doing so good with Carolina in the final 17 games on the regular season.

He probably stay in Carolina, maybe 10 000 000 for 3 years.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:52 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

He should be worth 7+ million to Carolina.

Carolina's season completely changed and they became the best team in the East when they reacquired him at the deadline from the Oilers.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:17 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
2 assists in 14 games in the playoffs after doing so good with Carolina in the final 17 games on the regular season.
I didn't get to see him with Carolina during the regular season, but he's looked terrible in the playoff games I've seen, and not just the lack of production. Lots of hustle, but seemingly no idea what to do.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:20 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

If he wants to resign with Carolina he might take a discount. Otherwise I think he gets 'Mike Fisher' money.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

Just given his entire season - getting moved to Edmonton and not liking it there and not really fitting in, and then going back to Carolina and just being such a perfect fit again on that team, I doubt that through that experience he'll want to sign anywhere else.
Where is this coming from? There is no doubt Cole's performance in Edmonton was underwhelming (although he was coming on at the end) but at no point in time did he say he disliked it in Edmonton. In his one quote in regards to the situation he actually stated that he was disappointed he got traded from the club.

05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Where is this coming from? There is no doubt Cole's performance in Edmonton was underwhelming (although he was coming on at the end) but at no point in time did he say he disliked it in Edmonton. In his one quote in regards to the situation he actually stated that he was disappointed he got traded from the club.
Isn't that only half the quote, though? It seems to me he was trying to say something along the lines of he was sorry he didn't prove himself in Edmonton before he got traded.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:53 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
~$3M, hopefully not with the Hurricanes.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Cherepanisimov

He would sign the Canes max offer. Even if it is 1.0-1.5 less than UFA value. I don't think that he wants to do an experiment after what happened in Edmonton.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

Just given his entire season - getting moved to Edmonton and not liking it there and not really fitting in, .
he actually really liked Edmonton and most of the fans really liked him. He always gave a lot of effort. You always got your moneys worth with his effort.......but not his results. For some reason, he has totally lost his scoring touch.

Even a return to carolina hasn't helped. I love the guy and want him to be on the oilers... as a 3rd liner. His days as a top 6 forward seem to be done.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Isn't that only half the quote, though? It seems to me he was trying to say something along the lines of he was sorry he didn't prove himself in Edmonton before he got traded.
Yep, that's correct. He strikes me as a pretty honorable guy and I think he was mostly disappointed that he didn't live up to the expectations the team had for him.

Regardless though, I haven't seen any sign that he disliked Edmonton unless people feel there is a correlation between his lack of success and unhappiness. If that's the case, I'd love to hear how he feels about Carolina given his current scoring woes.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 07:02 PM
BrindamoursNose

If he has any brains, he will sign with the Canes for the rest of his career

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

vCash: 50
As NFiTO said, apart from the not liking it in Edmonton part (not working out would be more accurate), it's about as close to a sure bet you can get that he'll re-sign in Carolina. In addition to past history with the team, Edmonton wouldn't have gotten O'Sullivan and a 2nd for him, and Carolina wouldn't have given up Williams, if Cole was only going to be a pure rental. Judging by value they traded for him with every intent to re-sign him.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Senatorsfan92*

I think He is worth 2-2.5

On the open market I think he will get any where from 3-4.5mill

Also I don't think Cole resign in Carolina!

Senatorsfan92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

I would take him back on the Oilers in a heartbeat especially now that there will be a new coach in Edmonton, obviously for a lot less than the $4m he made this year, though. MacTavish (surprise) handled him so poorly from the start and Cole never really recovered. Seriously, you trade for a guy that has been an offensive right winger and immediately switch him to left wing? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Yep, that's correct. He strikes me as a pretty honorable guy and I think he was mostly disappointed that he didn't live up to the expectations the team had for him.

Regardless though, I haven't seen any sign that he disliked Edmonton unless people feel there is a correlation between his lack of success and unhappiness. If that's the case, I'd love to hear how he feels about Carolina given his current scoring woes.
Cole liked it here. But as usual, because a player gets traded, people automatically assume that it's because the player hated Edmonton. Only at HF.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:20 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post

He probably stay in Carolina, maybe 10 000 000 for 3 years.

One of the worst pick ups at the trade deadline...he now has NO goals and 3 assists in 15 playoff games and this guy is supposed to play top 6 minutes?!?!
he is making 4 million right now....i would ask him for a pay cut!
His stats have been on the decline for years now and his 15 points in 17 games with Carolina happend in blow outs (where in got 5 and 6 points in 2 games) where the hell was he the rest of the time?!?! oh ya playing like he is in the playoffs

let carolina pay him 4 million a year who cares he's 30 and he sucks

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPG24 View Post
One of the worst pick ups at the trade deadline...he now has NO goals and 3 assists in 15 playoff games and this guy is supposed to play top 6 minutes?!?!
he is making 4 million right now....i would ask him for a pay cut!
His stats have been on the decline for years now and his 15 points in 17 games with Carolina happend in blow outs (where in got 5 and 6 points in 2 games) where the hell was he the rest of the time?!?! oh ya playing like he is in the playoffs

let carolina pay him 4 million a year who cares he's 30 and he sucks
People that know hockey, know that Erik Cole brings much more to the table than just points. Cole may not get 4 million from Carolina but he will get more than 2 million without a doubt. You can't have enough players on your team that put out an effort like Erik Cole's.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote