HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders/Colorado/Dallas

Old
05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
BennyBST

vCash: 500
As an Islanders fan I'd do this
But in reality Dallas wouldn't do this..

so here's my counter offer to make it more fair/realistic

To Islanders:3rd overall, 8th overall, Brett Clark (3.5 cap hit)
To Avs: 1st overall, Freddy Meyer (.675 cap hit)
To Stars: Liles, 26th overall (islanders), Jeff Tambellini (.625 cap hit)

Islanders: eat Clark's salary, we have the cap space for his contract. We select Duchene at 3rd and Cowen at 8th.

Avs: Select Tavares or Hedman, they get Freddy Meyer (who isn't worth much) who is alright if healthy and doesn't make much, giving the Avs some cap relief.

Stars: Get Liles to QB the PP, Islanders 2nd 1st round selection at 26th overall and Tambellini who will be a throw-in. Tambellini might benefit being traded so he gets a change of scenery and could possibly be more productive in Dallas.

thoughts?

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post

Islanders: eat Clark's salary, we have the cap space for his contract. We select Duchene at 3rd and Cowen at 8th.

Avs: Select Tavares or Hedman, they get Freddy Meyer (who isn't worth much) who is alright if healthy and doesn't make much, giving the Avs some cap relief.

Stars: Get Liles to QB the PP, Islanders 2nd 1st round selection at 26th overall and Tambellini who will be a throw-in. Tambellini might benefit being traded so he gets a change of scenery and could possibly be more productive in Dallas.

thoughts?
To be honest I do that if I'm Dallas. I do that if I'm Colorado and I'd think about it if I'm New York. I personally believe that the gap between Tavares and Duchene is not that big so with that in mind I do this as every team. Good proposal my friend.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:

thoughts?
We do not need Liles...We have 8 D men on the roster for next year. The 8th pick is gold to Dallas it will be a massive overpayment for Dallas to even answer the phone.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:

thoughts?
This is much better from an Avs POV, but as much as I want to get rid of Clark's salary, There's not much reason to basically "pay" a team to take him. If the Avs can't get anyone to take him for a low pick between now and next spring's trade deadline, then they might as well keep him since the contract expires at year's end.

Similarly, the Avs are better off keeping Liles, who while still a very useful player, has a contract that wouldn't bring in a good enough return to make trading him a smart move.

Lastly, the consensus is that Matt Duchene is the perfect fit for Colorado. Hedman or Tavares might have a higher ceilings, but from Colorado's perspective, there isn't a big enough talent gap between the three to part with any major assets just to move up two spots in this draft. With all the shuffling of rankings and speculation going on, the team is in the enviable position of selecting whoever the Bolts and Isles pass on.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:52 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Liles is worth a top 10 pick? where do I sign up?

as an avs fan, I don't do the original proposal at #3, I don't see the difference between tavares and duchene as Liles and a high second (maybe if we use Montreal's second instead of ours, still not sure), if we were #4 I probably would though

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:58 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Well obviously since in some mind altering universe would Dallas move the 8th overall pick for Liles...........
what if it was something like this...
isles get 3, 8
avs get 1st
dallas gets liles, isles 2nd 1st rd from Ott via Sj(26), 2nd from avs

i dunno, im just trying to help the OP out a lil. im not good at the trade proposal thing so i try to stay away, but liles and a late 1st in a deep draft doesnt seem outlandish when campoli got us the 26th. liles >>> camps, esp on a team built to win now and starved for offense.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:08 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
So the Avs move a 2nd (when theyre trying to rebuild) and there best defenseman in order to move up 2 spots?

No thanks...we'll just stay at 3 thanks very much.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
what if it was something like this...
isles get 3, 8
avs get 1st
dallas gets liles, isles 2nd 1st rd from Ott via Sj(26), 2nd from avs

i dunno, im just trying to help the OP out a lil. im not good at the trade proposal thing so i try to stay away, but liles and a late 1st in a deep draft doesnt seem outlandish when campoli got us the 26th. liles >>> camps, esp on a team built to win now and starved for offense.
that's decent value wise for dallas (although I'm not sure I get the starved for offense part..)

the fact is Dallas does not need to trade for a defenceman at this point, if anything they would be the ones sending one out..

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:33 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Dallas gives up their #8 pick to get JM Liles?

Where do I sign up?

There's no way the Isles get that kind of a package for the 1st. Sorry.
Oren Kouleas said straight up that he wanted Kaberle and Schenn for Toronto to move from 7th to 2nd. The 3rd, 8th, and a 2nd isn't all that ridiculous.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:45 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT 91 NYI View Post
ok guy. maybe we'll get a 7th rounder for the Tavares pick. Get a clue
By every argument that Ive seen you make over the past month any time a leaf fan proposes making a deal for your 1st and kaberle and the 7th, you laugh and act as if has no chance. But here you are offering the 8th pick for JM Liles, and claiming that its fair? I guess its only fair if it helps your team move down 2 spots and gain the 8th overall and another 2nd.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:48 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Sure they would. For the right to pick John Tavares? 2 High draft picks and a 2nd rounder isn't exactly a king's ransom. JM Liles is a very good offensive d-man and a perfect fit for Dallas who is built to win now.
Yes, yes it is.

Quote:
Ok. Because YOU said so. Thank you for your insight Hockey Guru
He's right.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:50 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
We do not need Liles...We have 8 D men on the roster for next year. The 8th pick is gold to Dallas it will be a massive overpayment for Dallas to even answer the phone.
You do? I believe only Niskanen, Robidas, Daley, Grossman, and Hutchinson are under contract for next year (Vishnevskiy might be able to make the leap). Liles outscored all of them last year and no one came close to his 12 goals (Daley had 7). More importantly, Dallas had a combined 3 PP goals from their defense; Liles himself had 6. I'm pretty sure JM Liles would get that PP rolling (even if it was already going at a blistering 15.4%).

I will agree with you that the 8th round pick would be tough to give up, but barring a miraculous resurgence of Sergei Zubov, Dallas has no chance of making the playoffs without acquiring atop defenseman. And besides, they still get a late 1st and a decent reclamation project in Jeff Tambellini on top of Liles.

Old
05-18-2009, 04:55 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Oren Kouleas said straight up that he wanted Kaberle and Schenn for Toronto to move from 7th to 2nd. The 3rd, 8th, and a 2nd isn't all that ridiculous.
1) The difference between 7 and 2 is much greater than the difference between 3 and 1.

2) It was pretty clear that the Kaberle, Schenn and a 1st for the 2nd overall was an overpayment. Burke laughed it off. No good GM would make that deal.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:56 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
You do? I believe only Niskanen, Robidas, Daley, Grossman, and Hutchinson are under contract for next year (Vishnevskiy might be able to make the leap). Liles outscored all of them last year and no one came close to his 12 goals (Daley had 7). More importantly, Dallas had a combined 3 PP goals from their defense; Liles himself had 6. I'm pretty sure JM Liles would get that PP rolling (even if it was already going at a blistering 15.4%).

I will agree with you that the 8th round pick would be tough to give up, but barring a miraculous resurgence of Sergei Zubov, Dallas has no chance of making the playoffs without acquiring atop defenseman. And besides, they still get a late 1st and a decent reclamation project in Jeff Tambellini on top of Liles.
I would think the Stars could get someone by the initials of TK if they were looking to move that pick, not trying to hijack, but its something I think could happen.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:

Fistric is a RFA and will certainly be back, although he won't help the PP. Vishnevskiy looked good at the end of the season(although it was only 3 meaningless games). What will help the PP immensely is having guys by the name of Morrow and Richards healthy all season. Especially since Richards is pretty much a d-man on the PP.

And they were right in the playoff race until Richards got hurt the 2nd time(I believe they were 7th), and then they just couldnt keep it up. Much rather hang onto the 8th pick, grab a guy like Schroeder, and move forward with what we have on defense or sing a guy in free agency.

-Vagrant
Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:14 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
1) The difference between 7 and 2 is much greater than the difference between 3 and 1.

2) It was pretty clear that the Kaberle, Schenn and a 1st for the 2nd overall was an overpayment. Burke laughed it off. No good GM would make that deal.
I'd say a better analysis would be moving from 8th to 1st. That way it is the 3rd overall and a 2nd versus Kaberle and Schenn.

Old
05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Dallas doesn't need Lilies.

Even if Zubov is not back until who knows when. The Stars still have Richards. He's not as good as Zubov as a PPQB but he can get the job done. Plus, there's Vish who could step up. He looked pretty solid.

Dallas holds on to that pick and drafts OEL/Kulikov/Schroeder (in my opinion) Cowan is a longshot, but still possible.

Last edited by Ogi1Kenobi: 05-18-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

vCash: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Clearly that's not the case. Some may--depending on your opinion of Hedman or Tavares, but most would not.

Considering the fact that Colorado is in full bore rebuild mode, if in whatever fantasy world they get that much for Liles in return, then they'd be much better off having two top-10 picks and the high second rounder.
Exactly.
Duchene, Kulikov/Cowen and Roussel > Tavares

VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:

Add Sydor, Fistric and Zubov (he will only play for Dallas if he comes back which the word is he will). Vishnevskiy is the future QB of our powerplay and we can get a D man the free agency without having to give up the 1st.

Old
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
I would think the Stars could get someone by the initials of TK if they were looking to move that pick, not trying to hijack, but its something I think could happen.
TK = Tavares Kane?

"We don't need no stinkin Kaberle"

Old
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Darth Milbury

I think the OP is vastly overrating Liles, as a function of Greg Logan's comments in Newsday. Logan speculated that if Col wanted to move up to 1st overall, Liles could be one of the chips. Personally, I'm not a huge fan. I basically see him as a better version of Chris Campoli - gnat sized with good offensive skills.

Anyway, pretty clear that Dallas takes it up the butt on all the deals posted here.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

thoughts?
Sorry Benny, it's one thing if you say trade 1 and 26 for 3 and 8.... that alone would take some consideration.

But throw in two bodies too, even if they're technically "expendable".... and Clark isn't even necessarily better than Meyer?

Basically, to give up that #1, we need to be in a situation of major overpay, not just possible lateral movement.

I don't see how the Isles come out the "clear cut winners" in this deal and heck, why deal the #1 if you don't come out as such?

Of course, if the Isles somehow determine they think Duchene is of more value to this franchise than Tavares/Hedman, well who knows....

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I think the OP is vastly overrating Liles, as a function of Greg Logan's comments in Newsday. Logan speculated that if Col wanted to move up to 1st overall, Liles could be one of the chips.
In which case the deal is just the Isles and Colorado figuring out the difference in value between #1 and #3. No real need for a 3rd team.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 07:34 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
I would never do this. The one and two picks aren't players you can put a value on, they have limitless potential and that's something our team needs that you can't just find lying around.

For once I hope our GM doesn't try to be the smartest guy in the draft, and just drafts JT or VH and that's that. Enough fooling around, can we just get a great player and not have to fiddle, just one time?

To the OP: How long have you been an Islanders fan? Not trying to call you out, just wondering.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
In which case the deal is just the Isles and Colorado figuring out the difference in value between #1 and #3. No real need for a 3rd team.
Exactly, and IMO, I'd rather hang on to Liles and our 3rd, because the top 3 are very close together.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote