HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev could be very useful next year !

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Maithz

vCash:
Kovalev could be very useful next year !

If BG can sign Kasts this summer , Kovalev will be able to teach him the NA style , Kasts will learn a lot by one of the most talented player in the NHL . Kovalev can be a good professor and a good coach for Kasts and Perezhogin too . We need to sign him , 1. He likes Montreal 2. He is very talented and could play at the point during the PP Kovalev - Souray 3. He will teach to our young russian prospect the NHL style .

Last edited by Maithz: 03-22-2004 at 06:49 PM.

Old
03-22-2004, 07:32 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65
If BG can sign Kasts this summer , Kovalev will be able to teach him the NA style , Kasts will learn a lot by one of the most talented player in the NHL . Kovalev can be a good professor and a good coach for Kasts and Perezhogin too . We need to sign him , 1. He likes Montreal 2. He is very talented and could play at the point during the PP Kovalev - Souray 3. He will teach to our young russian prospect the NHL style .
As long as he is reasonably priced, he will be worth keeping. I think we could get almost as talented yet much younger and cheaper talent that would fit the bill. Anywhere close to 6 Mil is tooooooo much. Especially with the group of forwards we're collecting... Maybe he'll believe in our chances and love the city enough to take a big cut in pay!?

Old
03-22-2004, 08:00 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
If he sign a two year deal, and no more id be all up for it. Your right he would be a graet mentor for our young russian prospects!

GO GAINEY GO, GO SIGN KOVI!

Old
03-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
He's good for Andrei Markov as well. They were lots of stories on how Markov was upset with the loss of Oleg Petrov whcih left Markov as the only Russian on the team.

The addition of Perezhogen and resigning of Kovalev would be great for team chemistry

Old
03-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Habbadasher

I think that Kovalev would be great for team chemistry as was pointed out (for the other team members from the former Soviet Republics), but mostly it is imperative that we sign him or we loose that trade - big time (I know we could "afford" to loose Balej, what with all our other prospects blah, blah, blah). At this stage in our team's development you don't trade propects for rental players - see Ottawa.

I am still a little concerned about his intensity, but it does appear to be picking up.

Heads up. Stick down.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:56 AM
EaGLE1

Yep! Saw my new weird avatar??

Old
03-23-2004, 05:22 AM
Marksman

You honestly believe Kovalev will sigm with Habs to play in Hamilton?

Thats where Kastitsyn goes first - if they even sign him this summer.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:32 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
You honestly believe Kovalev will sigm with Habs to play in Hamilton?

It doesn't matter where Kasty or Perezhogin play at the start of next year... Training Camp would be great for these kids because they'd have a month with one of the greatest NHL Russians that crossed the sea... Make no mistake about it, Kovalev is a star in Russia... They still love Alexei there.

A whole month of being friends with a legend like Kovalev is undeniable a great experience for these kids to pass up

Add to this, Kastsitsyn and Perezhogin do have a real chance of making a splash as soon as next year... Playing with a Super home grown talent like Kastsitsyn would help them make the room that much easier...

IMO we should sign him to a 3 year contract...

Old
03-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2

Maybe, maybe not.
Kastitsyns got the type of skills that might land him a spot on the big club without ever spending a second on the farm club. I mean Zherdev on Columbus didn't look out of place in the NHL without farm time and he and Kastitsyn have been compared skill wise, so...
My hope is that Kastitsyn blows managments socks off in training camp next year (assuming there is a training camp next year), and we resign Kovalev (to a reasonable salary...$3M/$3.5 a year sounds good). That would leave us with 6 quality top 2 line players....Koivu, Ribiero, Zednik, Kovalev, Ryder, Kastitsyn. Of course Perezhogin could be in that group as well, so even if Kastitsyn needs some seasoning........

Old
03-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Maybe, maybe not.
Kastitsyns got the type of skills that might land him a spot on the big club without ever spending a second on the farm club. I mean Zherdev on Columbus didn't look out of place in the NHL without farm time and he and Kastitsyn have been compared skill wise, so...
My hope is that Kastitsyn blows managments socks off in training camp next year (assuming there is a training camp next year), and we resign Kovalev (to a reasonable salary...$3M/$3.5 a year sounds good). That would leave us with 6 quality top 2 line players....Koivu, Ribiero, Zednik, Kovalev, Ryder, Kastitsyn. Of course Perezhogin could be in that group as well, so even if Kastitsyn needs some seasoning........
Im already drooooooling over that top six.

Man i hope there is hockey next season!

Old
03-23-2004, 01:29 PM
shayne

realistically...kovalev will cost $4.5 million( i say do it)

The money he got in the last year in Pitt was $4.2 and he was a top 5 player in the NHL and in scoring.

I also think it is dangerous to pay anyone more then Theodore or Koivu( you have to have a team hierchy(?) when it comes to salaries.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne
The money he got in the last year in Pitt was $4.2 and he was a top 5 player in the NHL and in scoring.

I also think it is dangerous to pay anyone more then Theodore or Koivu( you have to have a team hierchy(?) when it comes to salaries.
Could you explain what you mean in detail?

What wrong with Kovalev (the best offensive player on the team) having the highest sallary?

Old
03-23-2004, 01:37 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Could you explain what you mean in detail?

What wrong with Kovalev (the best offensive player on the team) having the highest sallary?
I think what Shayne means is you don't want your MVP and STar player plus the captain being put out by a guy who really... and lets be honest justified a new rather large and expensive contract.... Chemistry, greed hierchy system call it what you want... Whether i agree with shayne or not depends solely on Kovalevs impact on the team for the rest of the campaign.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Hab
I think what Shayne means is you don't want your MVP and STar player plus the captain being put out by a guy who really... and lets be honest justified a new rather large and expensive contract.... Chemistry, greed hierchy system call it what you want... Whether i agree with shayne or not depends solely on Kovalevs impact on the team for the rest of the campaign.
Your right, thats the most important thing.

I dont really think Koivu would care that someone is getting paid more than him however.After all goals do cost more than assists.

Old
03-23-2004, 04:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Your right, thats the most important thing.

I dont really think Koivu would care that someone is getting paid more than him however.After all goals do cost more than assists.
I wouldn't be as worried about Koivu as Theodore. Despite who you think might be our MVP this year (we've all been through the threads), Theodore is the least replaceable right now, and should probably be the highest paid player on the team. Paying a hired gun for more than that would be risky to the team hierarchy (which I guarantee players look at even more than how much they get paid compared to players on other teams).

Old
03-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I wouldn't be as worried about Koivu as Theodore. Despite who you think might be our MVP this year (we've all been through the threads), Theodore is the least replaceable right now, and should probably be the highest paid player on the team. Paying a hired gun for more than that would be risky to the team hierarchy (which I guarantee players look at even more than how much they get paid compared to players on other teams).
I disagree with that. I think its more of a personal thing. Some players do care, your right, but others dont really give a damn what others get paid in comparison to himself. for theo i really dont know if he would sulk if Kovalev was paid more than him. If he did, i would say bye bye theo, because IMO we dont need that attitude on our team. We need guys who are here to play for the team and not just for money.

Kovo for example in one article said that " Its not about the money" Thats the kind of players we need!

Alferdson (heart and soul of ottawa) took a pay cut last season, to make room for others like smolinksy. Thats again is the type of players we need, not players who are gona sulk if they are payed less than someone else.

Even Kilger in the summer took a pay cut, but is gone now for good reasons. Kilger like it or not, was a team guy!

Closed Thread