HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rest of the Playoffs

Old
05-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Black Ice

vCash: 500
Good for Sharpie!

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:05 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Sharp with da winnar!
makes me loath Hitchcock and Ellison all the more

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:23 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
makes me loath Hitchcock and Ellison all the more
Let's not talk about it..

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:53 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Look at that. The Hawks give up a 3-0 lead in the 2nd period and manage not to play like crap the rest of the game. I hope the Flyers watched this game.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 12:19 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
What a hit. I actually thought it was more of an elbow, but I've only seen one replay..
devestating. biggest check of the post season. maybe the year.
clean hit. refs react to the player being hurt. no referees arm goes up at all and in the end they toss him out. 5 minutes for interferance.

keep your head up

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 12:44 PM
UseYourAllusion

After watching the replay a dozen times, I think it was borderline. Looks to me like he leaves his feet before the hit, but you could probably argue that it was the follow through. Regardless, it was definitely not interference, and giving him 5mins and the gate was a huge overreaction, the refs clearly reacted to the result, and not the hit itself. Should've been 2 for charging.

That said Kronwall's rep as a "big hitter" is built on borderline or, often, overt charges. It stands to reason that it would catch up to him eventually.

I really think the league needs to address blows to the head. I'm all for big hits, but this problem is not going away on it's own, the players are bigger and faster than they've ever been, and the pads are bigger, and more protective than they've ever been.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 01:08 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
After watching the replay a dozen times, I think it was borderline. Looks to me like he leaves his feet before the hit, but you could probably argue that it was the follow through. Regardless, it was definitely not interference, and giving him 5mins and the gate was a huge overreaction, the refs clearly reacted to the result, and not the hit itself. Should've been 2 for charging.

That said Kronwall's rep as a "big hitter" is built on borderline or, often, overt charges. It stands to reason that it would catch up to him eventually.

I really think the league needs to address blows to the head. I'm all for big hits, but this problem is not going away on it's own, the players are bigger and faster than they've ever been, and the pads are bigger, and more protective than they've ever been.
I agree that the hit, itself, was borderline; by definition it was an interference penalty, though. Havlat never touched the puck.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 01:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I agree that the hit, itself, was borderline; by definition it was an interference penalty, though. Havlat never touched the puck.
the puck was between his skates. the elbow was tucked in and it was a shoulder to the chin. IMO it was a great hit, much like the Campbell hit on Umberger. Gotta keep your head up. IF Havlat hadnt gotten hurt no call would have been made at all. Watch the replay neither the ref nor the linesman arm goes up after the hit, only after when it was realized Havlat was injured that they decided to make the call which in itself is a bunch of crap.

Old
05-23-2009, 01:37 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
the puck was between his skates. the elbow was tucked in and it was a shoulder to the chin. IMO it was a great hit, much like the Campbell hit on Umberger. Gotta keep your head up. IF Havlat hadnt gotten hurt no call would have been made at all. Watch the replay neither the ref nor the linesman arm goes up after the hit, only after when it was realized Havlat was injured that they decided to make the call which in itself is a bunch of crap.
I agree with you but, puck in his skates or not, Havlat never touched the puck. I have no problem with a two minute interference penalty there. Had Havlat not been injured, the Hawks would have had an argument that a two minute penalty was deserved. Instead, the Wings can argue that they were over-penalized for the incident.

Old
05-23-2009, 02:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

ok let me ask you this then, you are a defenseman in that situation. You see Havlat, starting to turn back up ice with his head down, the puck in his skates and he is maybe a stride or 2 away from getting the puck on his stick. IMO Kronwall had no other choice to do what he did.
I feel bad that Havlat got hurt, but Kronwall had no other choice but to make the hit which was perfectly legal.

Old
05-23-2009, 02:53 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
ok let me ask you this then, you are a defenseman in that situation. You see Havlat, starting to turn back up ice with his head down, the puck in his skates and he is maybe a stride or 2 away from getting the puck on his stick. IMO Kronwall had no other choice to do what he did.
I feel bad that Havlat got hurt, but Kronwall had no other choice but to make the hit which was perfectly legal.
I would have done exactly what Kronwall did. It doesn't mean it's not a penalty; sometimes you receive a penalty for making the right play.

Edit: As for the Campbell hit, Umberger clearly touched the puck. My only problem with that hit was the suicide pass by Niko.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 05-23-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old
05-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
I was just going to bring up that hit. I clearly remember the hit, but I can't remember if there was a penalty called on it. I do not think there was (which there shouldn't have been). I guess I'm just wondering when the refs got so reactionary, or if the "penalties based on injuries" mantra has come down from Campbell/Bettman and company.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 06:47 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Cullen gets the game started in the right direction for the Canes.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
supa scoop

These playoffs are so damn frustrating. If anything, I'm sure Homer is watching and realizing more every day that we need a defensive answer to Crosby and Malkin.

Canes are just flat out getting owned by them.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Watching these queens go to back to back cups is going to suck.

I've gotta admit that this series has been really impressive on their part. I missed most of game 2 and game one could have gone either way but to come out and put up three one the road in the first against a desperate Carolina team(who has been on fire at home) is really something.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:10 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by supa scoop View Post
These playoffs are so damn frustrating. If anything, I'm sure Homer is watching and realizing more every day that we need a defensive answer to Crosby and Malkin.

Canes are just flat out getting owned by them.
The question is if it is possible to find that defensive answer without completely ruining our forward depth. Timonen and Parent seem like they can handle one of them, and Coburn can frustrate Crosby, but it seems he still needs a better partner to be completely effective in handling Crosby's linemates, whoever they'll be in the future. The scary thing is that these guys are still so young. Chances are they're only going to be getting better.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:28 PM
supa scoop

The thing that's comforting is that we have the depth to sacrifice, and we have players that are ready for bigger roles (mainly Giroux). I'm hoping that we don't end up just splurging on an expensive FA... like you said, we have a very good defense core as far as potential goes, they just aren't experienced enough to not make "growing pain" mistakes. I would love to see a guy like Ohlund brought in for 2 or so years at about 4.5 (I believe he makes 3.5 now... could be wrong). As good as J-Bouw is, it's a pipe dream to get him now, with all the uncertainty surrounding the cap climate in the next 2 years.

Some minor coaching changes would be nice too. I think a new assistant that could focus on helping Stevens implement a better defensive system, and a new goalie coach could do wonders.

Old
05-23-2009, 08:29 PM
supa scoop

Btw, GO CANES! tie it up.

Old
05-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Rusty... :

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Remember, we're supposedly just as good as they are...

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Claude Giroux

I have a ****** feeling the Penguins could beat the Red Wings this year.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:08 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Remember, we're supposedly just as good as they are...
Yeah, well ... Seems like the Flyers were their biggest test. Philly basically lost 2 games by themselves. The only reason it took them 7 games to beat Washington was Fleury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I have a ****** feeling the Penguins could beat the Red Wings this year.
Regardless who wins: I just hope it'll be more interesting than that snooze fest last year.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:22 PM
medicman

Cancel Christmas Canes....

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Yeah, well ... Seems like the Flyers were their biggest test. Philly basically lost 2 games by themselves. The only reason it took them 7 games to beat Washington was Fleury.
I'd say Washington was a bigger test. The Caps took them to 7 and took the first 2 games. We can lose games on our own all we want, that is just more evidence that we're not as good as them. If we're really as good as they are, we would have won those games and not saying that we should have.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:29 PM
bobbyacro

Pens better not win the ****ing SC.... Im from Harrisburg PA, a few hours outside of Pitt., and every single Pitt fan I know is a complete moron. I would really have to consider moving out west if the dumb ass Pens won the SC.

bobbyacro is offline   Reply With Quote