Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:44 PM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Capitals View Post
Weiss senior is folding under pressure.
If you mean his behaviour towards media, then thatīs a big no. Heīs been a well known arrogant prat in this department for years now, already in his years with Artmediaīs Champions League run.

I canīt help it, but all this quotes from players claiming how theyīe giving their all and the bad bad media and fans are criticizing them make me sick. If they really believed that what they showed so far was "giving their best" maybe they should have stayed home.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Washington Capitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
If you mean his behaviour towards media, then thatīs a big no. Heīs been a well known arrogant prat in this department for years now, already in his years with Artmediaīs Champions League run.

I canīt help it, but all this quotes from players claiming how theyīe giving their all and the bad bad media and fans are criticizing them make me sick. If they really believed that what they showed so far was "giving their best" maybe they should have stayed home.
It's a disgrace. I didn't anticipate anything else though. I just feel bad for the fans who thought this team was different. It isn't.

Old
06-23-2010, 09:06 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Capitals View Post
It's a disgrace. I didn't anticipate anything else though. I just feel bad for the fans who thought this team was different. It isn't.
Well, I didnīt have big eyes before this tourney and didnīt expect much from the results (I did expect a win over NZ though). But did you really expect them to forget their hearts at home before boarding the plane.

Weiss with this whole "itīs the bad bad journalistīs fault" crap once again http://futbal.sme.sk/c/5436153/trene...ravedlnil.html

What a difference to the handball NT coach Heister who after winning a game in big fashion and qualifying for a big event actually said sorry for a bad game that happened a week ago. And thatīs while Heister is known for weird antics as well, quiting his job during the 09 WC and then comming back.

Old
06-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
What a difference to the handball NT...etc
I saw an interview with some French fans and they said something along the lines "at least there is handball". It seems when there is a lot of choking, fans regress to more and more niche sports, from the completely global sport of football, to the two continent sport of hockey, down to one continent sports like handball and American football.

I think it is a solid thing for Europeans to say, especially when South American teams have 10 wins, no losses, and 2 draws so far in the World Cup, state interest only in sports that South Americans don't play.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 10:45 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
I saw an interview with some French fans and they said something along the lines "at least there is handball". It seems when there is a lot of choking, fans regress to more and more niche sports, from the completely global sport of football, to the two continent sport of hockey, down to one continent sports like handball and American football.

I think it is a solid thing for Europeans to say, especially when South American teams have 10 wins, no losses, and 2 draws so far in the World Cup, state interest only in sports that South Americans don't play.
I wonder whether the French fans werenīt actually refering t Henryīs handball rather than team handball.

However as for myself, I have previously already stated on this boards that handball is my 2nd favourite sport to watch after hockey (I donīt follow it anywhere as much as hockey though). I find it much more entertaining than football, there is ALWAYS something happening (IMO similar to hockey) unlike in football, which many times is just 22 men running around with a ball not getting any goals and managing very little numbers of shots.

I also believe that the comparison to American footballl is very unfair, especially when we speak about international competition. Itīs true that itīs mainly a Euro sport (one Asian team though is currently about us good as some Euro teams that play at the WC/EC- South Korea), there are about 15-20 teams that can actually compete between each other, which is actually much more than hockey does btw

While of course no sport in the world can match football in itīs popularity, but team handball is very far from some minor sport and actually it is a much bigger sport than ice hockey (if we put aside the mainly European part). Of course, I wish that other teams from around the world would folow ROKīs example and improve.

I also have to admit that I had no idea about handball at all before Slovakia played at the 2009 WC due to the lack of coverage and popularity of the sport in the country always in the shade of hockey and football, but since Iīve seen it the sport has won me over and try to watch it anytime I can, not only the national teams, but also Tatran Prešov playing the Hungarian league. therefore Iīm really thankful to these guys and they have a special spot in my heart for never giving up and almost always playing with pure heart:

But anyway, what I wanted to say with that post actually was that unlike Heister, Weiss doesnīt seem capable to actually confess that he (amnogst other things) might also be at fault with some of this decision for the way we played and that he doesnīt feel we (the fans) as well as the media deserve an apology that they played like **** and also the way he behaved. Of course, the players are all there willingly and they could have stayed at home etc., itīs not their obligation to be there , but for a heathly relationship between the players and fans it would be nice if they as well as the coach were capable at least do admit that they havenīt given their all so far instead of complaining about how everyone is criticizing them.

Btw, it does sadden me that for example the handball team, but also other teams/sportsmen in this country always are in the shade of football as well as hockey players/teams, even in times when the hockey/football teams donīt accomplish anythin much in the media as well as between the fans. Like for example- But then sure every four years when the Olympics come , everyone remembers and the wild water slalom guys are expected to come out of somewhere and win all the gold medals. The media/fans are only interested in them when the hockey/football teams arenīt succesful as you put it. I imagine if the football team hasnīt made it to the WC, there would be loads of articles on the handball team, but this way whole Šport is just full of WC football and then on half a page it mentions that the handball team amde it to the WC.

Anyway, back to myself, yes, the Slovak hockey team winning a medal at the WHC/Olympics or the handball team being succesful at the international stage make me much happier than the football teams succes at the WC, but should I feel bad about it just because football is a global spot? Heck no.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 06-23-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old
06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Kamzik

Quote:

Btw, it does sadden me that for example the handball team, but also other teams/sportsmen in this country always are in the shade of football as well as hockey players/teams, even in times when the hockey/football teams donīt accomplish anythin much in the media as well as between the fans. Like for example- But then sure every four years when the Olympics come , everyone remembers and the wild water slalom guys are expected to come out of somewhere and win all the gold medals. The media/fans are only interested in them when the hockey/football teams arenīt succesful as you put it. I imagine if the football team hasnīt made it to the WC, there would be loads of articles on the handball team, but this way whole Šport is just full of WC football and then on half a page it mentions that the handball team amde it to the WC.
From what I can tell, tennis in Slovakia gets a great deal of press also, so I would add that sport to hockey and football. You yourself state that handball is not a global sport like football is, but I am not sure you mentally accept this. When you write in an international forum "our football team really choked but at least the handball championships are coming up", you can expect to get some really puzzled looks by those not in the European Union and Russia, since handball is a great mystery to us.

As an example, Hungary has finished in the top three of the Water Polo World Cup for the past 25 years. A Hungarian could console themselves that their once mighty football team has stunk for the past few decades with a water polo statement, but this is meaningless to those not in water polo playing nations.

Old
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
From what I can tell, tennis in Slovakia gets a great deal of press also, so I would add that sport to hockey and football. You yourself state that handball is not a global sport like football is, but I am not sure you mentally accept this. When you write in an international forum "our football team really choked but at least the handball championships are coming up", you can expect to get some really puzzled looks by those not in the European Union and Russia, since handball is a great mystery to us.

As an example, Hungary has finished in the top three of the Water Polo World Cup for the past 25 years. A Hungarian could console themselves that their once mighty football team has stunk for the past few decades with a water polo statement, but this is meaningless to those not in water polo playing nations.
Lol, well for one thing you might have noticed that I posted it on the Central European part of the boards, a part of the world were the sport has a pretty high popularity, which is growing here and is even much greater in Hungary or Poland.

But anyway, the first time I posted it mainly for reasons:
1. after having watched pur football players my mood was pretty down and when I found out that the handball team made it, it might me real happy and my mood went to the sky, many people here felt the same way, especially since the players actually lost the first game by 5 goals and noone believed that they would win at least by 6 in Ukraine, so it was a miracle that they made it, which leads us to point
2. I posted it as an INSPIRATION for the football players before the Italy game that even what seems imposible is possible when you actually put yout heart into it.

The 2nd time I brought it up merely comparing the behaviour of two coaches of two Slovak national teams. I could have chosen almost any other coach from any sport, because very few coaches act as badly as Weiss, but Heister came to my mind at first because I heard him say what I paraphrased just yesterday.

As for the part where handball isnīt a global sport, I was trying to point out that it doesnīt matter to m. Should it matter to me just because it matters to you? I actually donīt choose sports t follow just based on in how many countries itīs played in, but based on whether it actually brings me any entertainment. And personally to me handball brings 100x more entertainment than football does (unless itīs a very good football game). I would have said this very same thing to you even in the moment that we qualified for the football WC. And yes, I donīt like you playing down my 2nd favourite sport and our nationa handball team for that matter, just because itīs not popular on your continent, the fact remains that the level of competition in handball is as high as in only very few team sports and in qualifying for the 4th big tourney out of the last 5, our sportsmen have accomplished something special, especially if you consider that the support they get is non-existent compared to the hockey/football teams.

Tennis does get press, especially when the big tourneys or Fed Cup/Davis Cup are played, but itīs nowhere near as big as football/hockey.

Btw, so basically if we had won an Olympic gold medal at hockey and we would be happy about it, we would just be consoling ourselves that we didnīt do anything at the football WC, is that right? Because that is pretty much what your post says, i find it kinda sad that somebody would actually think this way.

EDIT: I re-read my first handball comment, it also said that I was already looking forward to the handball WC and good quality handball, because the level of football at the WC for the most part has been crap. Well, I still stand by this statment and it has nothing to do with the Slovak football team as I was commenting all games of all teams at the tourney and I would feel the same way about it even if we had actually won both games against NZ and Paraguay and the handball team had lost to Ukraine. That comment was not Slovakia connected, I was merely complaining about the bad quality of the games, honestly the hockey WC with loads of top players missing brought higher quality hockey than the football WC did bring football so far.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 06-23-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old
06-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Kamzik

Quote:

But anyway, the first time I posted it mainly for reasons....
The 2nd time I brought it up merely comparing the behaviour of two coaches of two Slovak national teams.
OK, I understand what you meant now, I won't pester you about this anymore. There is sometimes talk of making STV available for "Slovákov v zahraničí". If that ever happens and I get access to STV1,2&3, I will certainly do a better job of learning the sport and following the Slovak handball team.

As for the quality of the World Cup, I agree that the play hasn't been so great, but it has been exciting. It has been a great tournament particularly for the Americas: two CONCACAF teams in the final 16, South American teams with 10 wins and 2 draws in 12 games played. When I hear comments like this I am reminded of how North Americans viewed the Winter Olympic hockey tournament in Turin: our teams suck so this tournament sucks and we won't follow it closely.

Old
06-24-2010, 04:04 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
OK, I understand what you meant now, I won't pester you about this anymore. There is sometimes talk of making STV available for "Slovákov v zahraničí". If that ever happens and I get access to STV1,2&3, I will certainly do a better job of learning the sport and following the Slovak handball team.

As for the quality of the World Cup, I agree that the play hasn't been so great, but it has been exciting. It has been a great tournament particularly for the Americas: two CONCACAF teams in the final 16, South American teams with 10 wins and 2 draws in 12 games played. When I hear comments like this I am reminded of how North Americans viewed the Winter Olympic hockey tournament in Turin: our teams suck so this tournament sucks and we won't follow it closely.
Well, Iīm not sure even that would help you, during last handball WC Czech Sport 1 bought the rights for the tourney not only in CZE, but also in Slovakia and therefore STV couldnīt show the games live, only later.

Back to football, well you mae it sound as for some reason Franceīs performance than Argentinaīs just because Iīm European. I can assure you that I donīt have any such feelings toward the non-Slovak European teams at the WC. Actually Argentina has been the only team that ha sinterested me with their play so far and it were only the other South American teams that came anywhere close to it.

My European identity really does not make me cheer for Europeans ahead of other continents, the only non-Slovak teams that I cheer for on some occassions are the neighbouring countries, mainly the Czechs of course.

Old
06-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Wilfrid Laurier

Is anyone else surprised by this lineup:

Goalkeeper
1 Ján Mucha

Defender
2 Peter Pekarík
3 Martin Škrtel
16 Ján Durica
5 Radoslav Zabavník

Midfielder
17 Marek Hamšík (C)
6 Zdeno Štrba
19 Juraj Kucka
15 Miroslav Stoch

Forward
11 Róbert Vittek
18 Erik Jendrišek

Sestak on the bench? What is Weiss thinking?

Wilfrid Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Wilfrid Laurier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfrid Laurier View Post
Is anyone else surprised by this lineup:

Goalkeeper
1 Ján Mucha

Defender
2 Peter Pekarík
3 Martin Škrtel
16 Ján Durica
5 Radoslav Zabavník

Midfielder
17 Marek Hamšík (C)
6 Zdeno Štrba
19 Juraj Kucka
15 Miroslav Stoch

Forward
11 Róbert Vittek
18 Erik Jendrišek

Sestak on the bench? What is Weiss thinking?
I officially apologize to Vittek and if we go on to win this game I must also apologize to Weiss! Currently 1-0 almost at half-time

Wilfrid Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Washington Capitals

so far so good.

Old
06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
wings5

Damn right those italians lose!!! Whats the Slovak version of viva Slovakia
BTW the National Anthem of Slovakia is one of the best anthems I have ever heard, very unique and moving and it seems youtube posters agree with me as they have been pouring in compliments from around the world the last hour or so. Good luck Slovakia though their likely opponents Netherlands won't be easy.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Washington Capitals

hell yeah

Old
06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Damn right those italians lose!!! Whats the Slovak version of viva Slovakia
BTW the National Anthem of Slovakia is one of the best anthems I have ever heard, very unique and moving and it seems youtube posters agree with me as they have been pouring in compliments from around the world the last hour or so. Good luck Slovakia though their likely opponents Netherlands won't be easy.
Thanks, about the anthem, btw itīs lyrics:

Lightning flashes over the Tatra, the thunder pounds wildly.
Lightning flashes over the Tatra, the thunder pounds wildly.
Let them stop, brothers, they will surely disappear, the Slovaks will revive.
Let them stop, brothers, they will surely disappear, the Slovaks will revive.
This Slovakia of ours has been fast asleep until now.
This Slovakia of ours has been fast asleep until now.
But the thunder and lightning are encouraging it to come alive.
But the thunder and lightning are encouraging it to come alive.

It does fit the Slovak performance at the WC, eh?

Kamzik, now this is what I call an actually entertaining football game, the ones like this, I love to watch. Seems like the boys did take the inspiration, eh? Gotta love that we never ever stopped attacking (IMO it was what won us the game), as it is not exactly what the "Eastern" Euro teams are well known for.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Kamzik, now this is what I call an actually entertaining football game, the ones like this, I love to watch. Seems like the boys did take the inspiration, eh? Gotta love that we never ever stopped attacking (IMO it was what won us the game), as it is not exactly what the "Eastern" Euro teams are well known for.
Very exciting! I was very happy to see Miroslav Stoch for an entire game. He is such a little guy, but with a huge heart. I thought the Slovak set plays look more dangerous when Stoch kicks them. Hamsik gave it his all also, running a kilometre more than any Italian on the pitch. There was a great moment when the Italian goalie was handling the ball alone, and both Stoch & Hamsik began to run at him at full speed. Slovakia played today with killer instinct. Nobody has scored three goals on Italy in the World Cup in my lifetime. Nobody has ever knocked off the World Cup champs in the group stage.

Just a thought, in several months Slovakia has eliminated the reigning gold medalists in hockey (Sweden) and the World Cup holder in football (Italy). Being a fan of Slovak sports, they provide fans with such highs and lows. The Little Big Country.

Old
06-24-2010, 01:29 PM
jakzed

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job guys!

jakzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 01:47 PM
slovakiasnextone

Kamzik, while I wanted to Stoch to start as well, I didnīt think this was one of his best NT games. Actually what I liked even more was starting Juraj Kucka, which I suppose was the thing that allowed Hamšík to play in a more attacking role than usually on the NT. I really hope that Weiss didnīt get "scared" away of playin WeissJr., because while I think that he is not yet at a stage where he can play whole 90+ minutes, he should at least be a sub.

Btw, one thing I donīt understand about Slovak sportsmen, all their best performances come when noone believes them anymore, at the point that the fans or media actually start trusting them, they suck.

I also hope that this guy is enjoying this at least in heaven:

Would be much better if he was with us here though. R.I.P., Peter. Yesterday was 10 years to the day that he left us.

Old
06-24-2010, 04:10 PM
jcbio11

Quote:
jcbio, however there is only as far as blind trust can go. I really tried to, but Weiss has crossed a line for me.
Like I said, I trust Weiss. I trusted him after the game with Paraguay, I trust him now.

Some fans, including you, were ready to throw him under the bus after one bad game and the press conference incident. He was once again genius vs Italy, totally out coached the opposition.

That's what I don't like about Slovaks, sometimes it just seems all we can ever do is complain.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Like I said, I trust Weiss. I trusted him after the game with Paraguay, I trust him now.

Some fans, including you, were ready to throw him under the bus after one bad game and the press conference incident. He was once again genius vs Italy, totally out coached the opposition.

That's what I don't like about Slovaks, sometimes it just seems all we can ever do is complain.
LOL.

Kudos to Weiss for this game and his decisions here. He deserves all credit that he can get for it.

But it doesnīt change anything on the fact that he made bad decisions in the two games before and that he acted as an arrogant prat. This were the two issues that I commented and nothing changes about it even after the Italy win. Same goes for the players, Iīm glad they gave their all and they played so greatly, but it doesnīt change a simple thing about the way I feel about their two previous game.

I agree with you on one thing though, the people who were crticizing the players/coach for the first two games and now have those two games erased and will call Weiss a genius and the playersī are suddenly their heroes. And if they were going to lose to the Netherlands with a bad effort they would once again be the worst on the face of earth. IMO it is not just a Slovak thing though, remember the Czechs and the recent hockey WC? Very few of them acted any different.

I personally prefer judging each game separately and I have no problem givin credit where itīs due, but Iīm not just gonna be jubilant and say nothing when the coach and players donīt give their all.

EDIT: The fact is that against New Zealand and Paraguay I have not seen the Slovakia I wanted to see- heart, drive and guts-exactly what I have seen in the game against Italy.

However undepending on the way how I felt and what their performances were I never (both the qualification an WC) stopped cheering on the team, but I donīt go just on belief, especially when I see that the players donīt give their all.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 06-24-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old
06-24-2010, 04:27 PM
jcbio11

Quote:
LOL.

Kudos to Weiss for this game and his decisions here. He deserves all credit that he can get for it.

But it doesnīt change anything on the fact that he made bad decisions in the two games before and that he acted as an arrogant prat. This were the two issues that I commented and nothing changes about it even after the Italy win. Same goes for the players, Iīm glad they gave their all and they played so greatly, but it doesnīt change a simple thing about the way I feel about their two previous game.

I agree with you on one thing though, the people who were crticizing the players/coach for the first two games and now have those two games erased and will call Weiss a genius and the playersī are suddenly their heroes. And if they were going to lose to the Netherlands with a bad effort they would once again be the worst on the face of earth. IMO it is not just a Slovak thing though, remember the Czechs and the recent hockey WC? Very few of them acted any different.

I personally prefer judging each game separately and I have no problem givin credit where itīs due, but Iīm not just gonna be jubilant and say nothing when the coach and players donīt give their all.
Never stop believing.

Old
06-24-2010, 04:31 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Never stop believing.
Iīd like to, but my mind always wins over my heart. But I always cheer and hope. Hope is the best thing I can do. It also brings less disappointment than believing.

Old
06-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Kamzik

Zdeno Strba is not able to play versus the Netherlands after acquiring a second yellow card. This is rather troubling as I think Strba plays a valuable role on the team, especially doing a lot of the "dirty work". Strba isn't really replaceable. I suppose Weiss could put Kopunek out there with Kucko as he did today.

Old
06-24-2010, 07:53 PM
jcbio11

Quote:
Zdeno Strba is not able to play versus the Netherlands after acquiring a second yellow card. This is rather troubling as I think Strba plays a valuable role on the team, especially doing a lot of the "dirty work". Strba isn't really replaceable. I suppose Weiss could put Kopunek out there with Kucko as he did today.
I miss Karhan. He would have been a good substitute for Strba. Also I believe we wouldn't have allowed that goal in the dying seconds vs New Zealand if he was playing. And our d might have looked a bit less pathetic vs Paraguay with him, as he always seems to calm everyone down a bit when we need it, and has a good outlet pass.