HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Let's start with Carter for Weber

Old
05-19-2009, 10:55 PM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Ugh, I think that pushes it too far in the Preds favor. Sbisa is the trump card here. From what I have seen of Sbisa this season, he sure looks like a prize for Philly. Amazing poise and composure for an 18-year old.
I totally agee with you, but I don't care. We need a stud d-man, and Carter isn't one. We have 3 center's not including Carter that are considered top scorers in my eyes (although the jury is still out on Giroux, sort of). We'd give up a 19 year old Sbisa for a 23-24 year old Weber....Great deal in my eyes. I honestly don't care what it costs..I think Weber is amazing and I'd do that deal.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:56 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers ltd View Post
For these reasons Carter is beginning to strike me as a goal-scoring version of Joe Thornton. Big frame and lots of skill but not particularly physical and afraid to leave the perimeter.
He's no Dustin Brown, but he isn't any whimp. Give him more credit than that.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
From what I was told, Hamhuis blew this past year for NSH.

This is just what I was told (not my own observation)
That's not really true. He got off to a rough start when paired with DeVries (as Eddie Shore himself would have, being paired with DeVries). When he didn't have to babysit DeVo, and moved to a pairing with the more reliable Greg Zanon, his season turned around. He still played first pairing PK minutes on one of the best penalty kills in the league.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Carter is a real nice sniper. But in terms of elite, he is a bit streaky and plays the perimeter a little too much for a player gifted with his size and skill. Maybe these are areas of his game he can fix for Philly's sake. Coming off a weak playoffs, Carter needs to repeat his impressive 2008-09 season and bring it in the next postseason. I am sure a player like Carter has some real nice trade value, as 46 goal shooters don't grow on trees.

I agree, Suter is more likely of a potential swap than Weber.
Hartnell is usually the inside guy on that line, with Lupul and Carter being the guys with good shots. If Carter's game around the net is not much better than Hartnel's, why would he need to make that part of his game? Only so many people can crash the net, you need someone pulling the trigger. Jeff Carter in the crease with Hartnell shooting away might work, but Carter had 46 goals and Hartnell had 30, so I think his games working just fine right now. If anything Carter's line could work on cycling a little better, but 100 goals from that line is hard to argue with.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Mota

Id do this in a heart beat...and then the flyers could sign Jbo too!

Timonen-Weber
Jbo-Coburn
Sbisa-Parent

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 10:34 AM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

Timonen-Weber
Jbo-Coburn
Sbisa-Parent

Holy ****ing defense...

Didn't even think of that. JayBo would be a stretch still obviously...but man...

Honestly though...if we're trading Carter for Weber there's no need to sign JayBo. I'm spending my extra money on offense...

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
The Pucks

Quote:

Timonen-Weber
Jbo-Coburn
Sbisa-Parent

Ever hear of a thing called the salary cap?

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Ever hear of a thing called the salary cap?
If Lupul and Carle get traded, Jones got waived or traded, and Carter gets traded for Weber the Flyers can actually fit all of those pieces.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Thought I'd toss out an idea, not sure how each team's fans would feel about this;

Rinne for JVR.

JVR and Wilson would look great together, gives Nashville more scoring depth while leaving them with a solid goalie now and in the future(Pickard, Smith, Dekanich)

Gives Philly a solid young goaltender who's cheap and will allow them to make roster moves easier. Plus, Rinne was one of the top 10 goalies in the league last year. Also, Philly trades from a place of strength to fill a major hole.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Maxpac

Who's Rinne?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Who's Rinne?
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm but http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4905

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 11:30 AM
AC Le Rock

Quote:

Timonen-Weber
Jbo-Coburn
Sbisa-Parent

If that was the case, we'd have to change our name from Philadelphia Flyers to Holy **** Here Comes the ****ing Philadelphia Flyers

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 11:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Thought I'd toss out an idea, not sure how each team's fans would feel about this;

Rinne for JVR.

JVR and Wilson would look great together, gives Nashville more scoring depth while leaving them with a solid goalie now and in the future(Pickard, Smith, Dekanich)

Gives Philly a solid young goaltender who's cheap and will allow them to make roster moves easier. Plus, Rinne was one of the top 10 goalies in the league last year. Also, Philly trades from a place of strength to fill a major hole.

I'd love to get JVR somehow, but not at the cost of Rinne. That guy is going to be star, and franchise goalies are just too hard to come by.

I WOULD trade Pickard, Blum or Hamhuis for JVR, though.

Old
05-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'd love to get JVR somehow, but not at the cost of Rinne. That guy is going to be star, and franchise goalies are just too hard to come by.

I WOULD trade Pickard, Blum or Hamhuis for JVR, though.
I would think the Flyers would have interest in Pickard and Hamhuis, but I just don't know that they'd be willing to let go of JVR right now, for any package. Its hard to say, because none of us know exactly how Philly management feels about JVR behind closed doors.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 11:58 AM
brian822

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
I would think the Flyers would have interest in Pickard and Hamhuis, but I just don't know that they'd be willing to let go of JVR right now, for any package. Its hard to say, because none of us know exactly how Philly management feels about JVR behind closed doors.
Going by rumors and what has been said in local Phlly papers, Holmgren was pissed at the fact he went back to school this instead of turning pro and Holmgren was very disappointed in his play during the WJC.

brian822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:13 PM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian822 View Post
Going by rumors and what has been said in local Phlly papers, Holmgren was pissed at the fact he went back to school this instead of turning pro and Holmgren was very disappointed in his play during the WJC.
Yeah but Giroux did squat for the Flyers for about 20 or so games then broke out. Keeping him in the AHL for a season would do this JVR justice. His development was impeded by playing two full seasons at the NCAA level. He needs a new challenge and he'll do more than just fine in a year or two.

Flyers need to work on making room under the cap and beefing up their blueline a little bit ala Komisarek, Witt, Kubina, Suter, Bouwmeester, etc.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian822 View Post
Sure, but we only know what is said to the media. Homer isn't about to go into a complete dissertation about JVR and all of his thoughts about him in the media. The fact is, none of us know how the Flyers really feel about JVR, and his possible future with the team.

Was he irritated that JVR didn't come out after his 1st season of school? I think that's pretty obvious, as they felt in hindered his development. That said, for them to trade JVR now, one would think it would have to be part of a package for an elite defensemen (or goalie), of they have soured on him to the point where they believe he doesn't fit in their future plans (like Jack Johnson and the Carolina situation).

Like I said, none of us really have any clue whether or not the Flyers have soured on JVR as part of their future. I have no reason to believe that's the case.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 05:35 PM
skipper49

Why all the hype about Rinne? He won some easy games, never stole one all season, tanked in the last 7 league games with more than a 3.50 goals against avg and didn't take a Sullivan-comeback team to the playoffs. Over-rated IMO. Almost like Varlamov in Washington - too soon to say he's great. If the Preds decide to trade Ellis and bank on a Rinne/MacIntyre combo for next year IMO they will regret it deeply. If they were fully confident in Rinne they would have traded Ellis at the deadline last season and picked up a forward to help make the playoffs.

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
Why all the hype about Rinne? He won some easy games, never stole one all season, tanked in the last 7 league games with more than a 3.50 goals against avg and didn't take a Sullivan-comeback team to the playoffs. Over-rated IMO. Almost like Varlamov in Washington - too soon to say he's great. If the Preds decide to trade Ellis and bank on a Rinne/MacIntyre combo for next year IMO they will regret it deeply. If they were fully confident in Rinne they would have traded Ellis at the deadline last season and picked up a forward to help make the playoffs.
Never stole a game all season?

Did you see our offense? He was the only reason we were even competitive. Rinne is the real deal. Contrary to popular belief, Ellis wasn't bad this season...he simply got outplayed. Rinne's goaltending this season was the best I've ever seen from a Predators goalie. And that includes the Vokoun years.

Old
05-20-2009, 09:32 PM
ecemleafs

Weber
Rinne

for

Carter
Sbisa
1st 09
rights to biron

???

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:38 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Weber
Rinne

for

Carter
Sbisa
1st 09
rights to biron

???
I wouldn't give up Sbisa AND the 2009 1st in that deal. There are other goalies I'd want before Rinne. Weber would be awesome, but that is just too much.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:46 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
I've been hearing the buzz the Flyers are looking for a #1 goalie but teams are asking for Carter to start. (Luongo for Carter +)

If, and this is a huge if, we are going to move Jeff Carter, I'd want a guy like Shea Weber, good contract, only 23, loads of potential, bruiser, contributor on offense - Like Komisarek and JBo rolled up into one player.

So, my initial trade is Carter for Weber straight up. Nashville get's one of the perrenial goal scorers in the league, a #1 center and the Flyers get the type of dman they need who will contribute offensively but also make guys like Crosby think twice about hanging out around our crease. And both these franchises hold these players in very high regard so I think this is a fair trade.

If you want to make things a little more interesting, how about this.

Shea Weber and Pekka Rinne

for

the rights to Biron - Carter and Sbisa.

Thoughts?
LOL. No way in hell Nashville would do that.

Weber is a franchise d-man and a likely future Norris trophy winner. Carter's a good goal scorer, but I'd rather have Weber.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 12:31 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Nashville fans turned down Heatley for Weber. Can't imagine they'd accept Carter.
this

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 06:20 PM
skipper49

if Rinne is the real deal then why didn't all the offense and his great play since Vokoun not take the team to the playoffs? READ MY LIPS - He didn't play well enough to take the team to the playoffs. Ellis lost his #1 position to a "prospect"- that's the only reason. He wasn't outplayed by Rinne. Rinne got all the easy games, the team started scoring and winning more and everyone attributed that to Rinne. Trade deadline came around, the Preds were again too chicken to make a trade so then their claim to fame was their prospect goalie. The only opportunity to make personnel changes on this team is to either pull, trade or let go the goalies. No other player was penalized for the Preds poor play in the first half of the season- just Ellis. Nice thanks you get after taking the team to the playoffs the year before. Rinne also played so poorly at the end of the season that he lost his Calder Cup nominee. One could even say that Poile/Trotz were more focused on selling their rookie than making the playoffs this year. Who will be the sacrificial lamb this season?

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Nashville says no because they already have two top six centres in Arnott and Legwand. Not saying Carter isn't a huge upgrade here, because he definitely is, but why give up Weber to upgrade a position that doesn't necessarily need upgrading.

Philadelphia says yes because they're getting that big presence for their blue line, but with all of their cap problems and tricky contracts, why trade one of their good ones (even though they're getting an equally good one, if not better one, back)? If they can move the right salaries around, they could pursue a defenseman through trade or through FA.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote