HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Let's start with Carter for Weber

Old
05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
Yeah but Giroux did squat for the Flyers for about 20 or so games then broke out. Keeping him in the AHL for a season would do this JVR justice. His development was impeded by playing two full seasons at the NCAA level. He needs a new challenge and he'll do more than just fine in a year or two.

Flyers need to work on making room under the cap and beefing up their blueline a little bit ala Komisarek, Witt, Kubina, Suter, Bouwmeester, etc.

You and I weren't watching the same games clearly...Giroux was awesome aside from 5 games I think.

And, even if you're arguing about point differential here....JVR just looked like he idn't give a **** this past end of season with the Phantoms...at least Giroux obviously played both ends and tried hard..I just didn't see that in JVR.

So we'll see.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:44 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
Nashville says no because they already have two top six centres in Arnott and Legwand. Not saying Carter isn't a huge upgrade here, because he definitely is, but why give up Weber to upgrade a position that doesn't necessarily need upgrading.

Philadelphia says yes because they're getting that big presence for their blue line, but with all of their cap problems and tricky contracts, why trade one of their good ones (even though they're getting an equally good one, if not better one, back)? If they can move the right salaries around, they could pursue a defenseman through trade or through FA.
Come on...be serious. Legwand is a top 6 center? Really?

I know he's paid like one, but let's be serious hockey experts here

Old
05-21-2009, 11:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post

He absolutely is. 27 goals last season, was on pace for about the same this season before going out for the year with a broken face. And his numbers don't tell the whole story, either. Legwand is probably one of the Predators three most important players.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

This just shows that Weber is under-rated.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 02:17 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
If that was the case, we'd have to change our name from Philadelphia Flyers to Holy **** Here Comes the ****ing Philadelphia Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Id do this in a heart beat...and then the flyers could sign Jbo too!

Timonen-Weber
Jbo-Coburn
Sbisa-Parent

go for suter as well as just call yourselves the predators on D

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 02:27 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
if Rinne is the real deal then why didn't all the offense and his great play since Vokoun not take the team to the playoffs? READ MY LIPS - He didn't play well enough to take the team to the playoffs. Ellis lost his #1 position to a "prospect"- that's the only reason. He wasn't outplayed by Rinne. Rinne got all the easy games, the team started scoring and winning more and everyone attributed that to Rinne. Trade deadline came around, the Preds were again too chicken to make a trade so then their claim to fame was their prospect goalie. The only opportunity to make personnel changes on this team is to either pull, trade or let go the goalies. No other player was penalized for the Preds poor play in the first half of the season- just Ellis. Nice thanks you get after taking the team to the playoffs the year before. Rinne also played so poorly at the end of the season that he lost his Calder Cup nominee. One could even say that Poile/Trotz were more focused on selling their rookie than making the playoffs this year. Who will be the sacrificial lamb this season?
dan? is that you?

how did rinne get all the easy games when dan hardly played after the new year? aare you saying we didnt have any hard games after december. pekka played as well as dan did last year. i love dan, and hope that the two are fighting hard all next year, but it seemed that the team played a lot better in front of pekka. dan liked to keep the play moving more this year than i remember him doing last year, and it seemed to throw the d off a little and innevitably caused turn overs. pekka had much more control of the pace of the game that seemed to compliment our team more. except that time pekka got a penalty because he cover a puck in his crease

imo your views are a little off on how good pekka played this year. ya he didnt show up the last couple games, but neither did anybody else other than arnott (surprise in itself), and after playing as much as he did, i am sure fatigue got to him a little, but he was the guy that played well for so many games, the coaches kept going with him. cant blame them really

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:

Perhaps you should learn a bit more about the player you criticize if you want to be a serious hockey expert. It would be a tough sell to Nashville fans Carter for Legwand straight up. Legwand is A LOT like the guy your name references.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 04:45 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Legwand is A LOT like the guy your name references.
He has a jacked up face and plainly isn't one of the top 6 centers in the league?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 04:54 AM
lefty2time*

Weber is probably a top 10 dman....
Is carter a top 10 forward..probably.....anyone who thinks either team gets ripped needs to give their head a shake because they are both huge impact players.

oh and on a side note. it took a while..but Legwand is a real top6er....
They waited a long time for him to put up these kinda points!

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 04:56 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
Is carter a top 10 forward..probably.....anyone who thinks either team gets ripped needs to give their head a shake because they are both huge impact players.
Carter is not a top-10 forward imo

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 05:00 AM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Carter is not a top-10 forward imo
ya, come to think about it..probably true....but there are more forwards than D int he league. So to be a top 10 forward means more than being a top 10 D. I still think that value wise, they are comparable.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
ya, come to think about it..probably true....but there are more forwards than D int he league. So to be a top 10 forward means more than being a top 10 D. I still think that value wise, they are comparable.
12 forwards 6 D

So is Carter top 20 forwards in the game today? In regards to trade value definitely. Is Shea Weber in the top ten D-men in the league in regards to trade value? I sure think so. But this is a ridiculous over-simplification of the thinking that would go into the trade.

A single defenseman is a much bigger piece of the puzzle than a single forward. Offensive mediocrity is not nearly as dangerous as defensive mediocrity in my mind. The Wild and Rangers both had winning seasons and almost both made the play-offs with terrible offenses.

EDIT: Apologies to all Minnesota or New York fans, no disrespect intended, haha, my Flyers didn't do much better.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 12:38 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Perhaps you should learn a bit more about the player you criticize if you want to be a serious hockey expert. It would be a tough sell to Nashville fans Carter for Legwand straight up. Legwand is A LOT like the guy your name references.

I was just dicking around.

I would've figured you would have gotten the sarcasm by me ending the post with "serious hockey experts"....

My bad, my bad.

Old
05-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Claude Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
From Nashville, this is who I'd take for Weber:

Definitely: Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Getzlaf, Parise, Staal

Maybe: Toews, Richards, Kane, Tavares, Nash

Probably not: all other NHL players and draft picks!

We certainly aren't going to "throw-in" Rinne either, who was a 10 top NHL goaltender last year, and makes 800K.
Tavares over Carter?

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 07:27 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:

You're right, he's not really a top six centre, but they've committed all of that money to him to be in that role, so I'm sure they see him as a top six centre.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 08:06 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
go for suter as well as just call yourselves the predators on D
Honestly, that wouldn't bother me in the least. It really says something for how well the Preds can scout AND DEVELOP defensive talent. I'd consider myselft damn lucky to have half my dmen having come out of the Preds orgainzation from the past 5 or so years. We've done well with offensive talent, you guys have done well with defensive talent. Combine us and we probably have a cup winning team

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 08:14 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Honestly, that wouldn't bother me in the least. It really says something for how well the Preds can scout AND DEVELOP defensive talent. I'd consider myselft damn lucky to have half my dmen having come out of the Preds orgainzation from the past 5 or so years. We've done well with offensive talent, you guys have done well with defensive talent. Combine us and we probably have a cup winning team
Gagne - Richards - Lupul
Hartnell - Carter - Giroux
Dumont - Arnott - Briere
random 4th line

Weber - Suter
Timonen - Coburn
Hamhuis - Parent
Klein

Rinne
Ellis

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 08:20 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Is carter a top 10 forward..probably
.....anyone who thinks either team gets ripped needs to give their head a shake because they are both huge impact players.

oh and on a side note. it took a while..but Legwand is a real top6er....
They waited a long time for him to put up these kinda points!

While this is most certainly true, top 10 dmen are generally > top 10 forwards, unless you are talking generational talent like AO, Crosby or Malkin.

This is how I see Weber, I don't see him as one of the top 5 in the league right now but he's in my top 10. However, most of the guys above him are a good bit older without many years left in the league. Having said that, if I could pick one dman to put on my team to build a franchise around I'd probably take Weber #1. I'd probably put J-Bo #2 and Markov #3 (I know he's a few years older than the other 2 but he's still got a lot of years left in the league and I honestly see him as better than Weber or J-Bo right now). If I had Weber there are only 4 people in the entire league I would trade him for, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and Lundqvist. That's it, that's my list. For that reason I wouldn't even ask the Preds to part with him. We'd have to over pay by so much it simply wouldn't be worth it to us.

If I were in their shoes I'd want Carter, JVR, Coburn, Bourdon, and our 09 1st. Coburn is nice but he doesn't come close to covering what they give up in Weber. Bourdon would be a nice prospect to add who might work out and might not, but it's worth taking a chance on him and I'd like to see him in my prospect pool if I'm the one dealing Weber. our 09 1st will be a nice pick but it's still a question mark. JVR is a beautiful blue chip prospect but he still has some question marks around him. He and Carter together would probably make it worth while for the Preds to part with Weber but the rest would be needed to make it an offer they couldn't refuse.

Again, I think tat what it would actually take to get Nashville to part with Weber is far too expensive and not worth the price you'd have to pay to get him.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote