O'Sullivan feature on CBC

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 02:05 PM
glenjackson

vCash: 500
O'Sullivan feature on CBC

Hey Wild fans,
Thought you might like to read more on O'Sullivan. CBC has published the transcript from a feature they did on him that focusses on his tough past:

PATRICK O'SULLIVAN STORY

Old
03-23-2004, 05:33 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjackson
Hey Wild fans,
Thought you might like to read more on O'Sullivan. CBC has published the transcript from a feature they did on him that focusses on his tough past:

PATRICK O'SULLIVAN STORY
Thanks for posting it. I had heard about it but had to go out that night so I missed it.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Wild Bill

Ditto to that, thanks alot. A little bit of a rehashing, but good to hear the words straight from the people involved...what a nightmare this kid went through. I remember the draft day stuff with the bodyguards and all...probably slipped 10 spots just for that...talk about ruining a great moment in your life.

Old
03-23-2004, 09:46 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Did anyone understand whatever the hell Wayne Gretzky said?

Someone believes Gretzky indicated he thinks O'Sullivan is a "bad person" and that's why he fell so far in the draft. I don't think that was what he meant, but after reading the transcript I can understand why he thinks that. Anyone have a thought?

Old
03-23-2004, 10:08 PM
glenjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
Did anyone understand whatever the hell Wayne Gretzky said?

Someone believes Gretzky indicated he thinks O'Sullivan is a "bad person" and that's why he fell so far in the draft. I don't think that was what he meant, but after reading the transcript I can understand why he thinks that. Anyone have a thought?
Yes, reading the transcript it sounds like Wayne was saying that O'Sullivan slipped in the draft either because teams thought he wasn't a hard worker or not dedicated, or a drug addict. But the way he said it it does sound like it could be taken that way. It's a little ambiguous. Wonder if Wayne would rephrase it if given the chance, cause otherwise he seemed very supportive of Patrick. The last part of Wayne's statement seems to stress that it was one of those three reasons for the Coyotes, but who is to say about the other teams reasons for letting him slide.

I just saw a re-broadcast of the feature on Fifth Estate but I started watching late. Would like to see or hear Wayne's answer to know better what he meant (if they showed it, which it seems like they did not).

Old
03-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Slats432

I saw the show and I don't think they played the clip of Gretzky's comments about Patrick falling in the draft. But his sentiment was positive. I would take it with the draft comments that Gretzky wanted to say that the Coyotes wouldn't have blackballed Patrick because of his past.

There is nothing to dispute Gretzky because the first Coyote pick was at 77th overall.

Old
03-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Brock

If you watch OHL games, Patrick O Sullivan is a man among boys. IMO He's definitely the most talented player in the league. In the offensive zone, he's like a magician. The puck follows him around and he always has complete control. He's also put the Ice Dogs on his back the past season and a half (the second half of last season after his father stuff got controlled) and shown tremendous leadership.

The only thing I worry about is whether his whole troubled past still affects him negatively. I hope it doesn't, I really hope so. But it's such a delicate situation and the NHL is such a rigorous course.

I do think he'll be in the NHL next season though, where the Wild can keep them under their watchful eye.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:38 AM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
I do think he'll be in the NHL next season though, where the Wild can keep them under their watchful eye.
I totally agree with this. History has proven that Doug and Jacques are most comfortable with their biggest prospects close by and Patrick seems to be a clasic candidate. Someone with so much offensive potential could only benefit under the tuteledge of a defensive genius in JL. Look at Marian Gaborik. Anyone who has seen him from the start and on a regular basis knows the affect Jacques has had on him.

Let's face it, the Wild need Patrick's offense bad. He'll have to screw up big to not be in next years lineup.

Old
03-24-2004, 06:53 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
Look at Marian Gaborik. Anyone who has seen him from the start and on a regular basis knows the affect Jacques has had on him.

Agreed!! Gaborik couldn't defend himself out of a wet paper bag when he came into the league. Now Lemaire has him on his 2nd PK unit. There has been many quotes from Gabby talking about how he wants to be a "complete" player, and be responsible defensively. That all comes from Lemaires teaching.

Old
03-24-2004, 07:34 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
I hope the Wild won't rush O'Sullivan the way they did with Bouchard and Burns. Those two could have used more seasoning.

Old
03-24-2004, 08:15 AM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib
I hope the Wild won't rush O'Sullivan the way they did with Bouchard and Burns. Those two could have used more seasoning.
I couldn't agree more. I can see Bouchard, but not Burns. When someone gets drafted and is making the step to the NHL as an 18 year old, I think of someone who just finished dominating his league. Burns by no means did this in the OHL...

Old
03-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Well, O'Sullivan went back to juniors for a year, which neither Bouchard or Burns benefitted from, so he's already been rushed less than them. This is the Schultz model, which is a good one I think. Burns really should have gone back as well.

Reading the interview, it sounds to me like he's got his head screwed on right, and that he's not dwelling on the past. Kids are resiliant, so I am hopeful his upbringing will not compromise his chance at a successful career.

Old
03-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Blackadder

My biggest "concern" with O'Sullivan is that you can't get a nation-wide restraining order in the U.S. I can see his father becoming an issue again once Patrick leaves Canada. Hopefully that's just me being pessimistic, but his dad is the real unknown here :/

Old
03-24-2004, 01:08 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder
My biggest "concern" with O'Sullivan is that you can't get a nation-wide restraining order in the U.S. I can see his father becoming an issue again once Patrick leaves Canada. Hopefully that's just me being pessimistic, but his dad is the real unknown here :/
Contact Ceber, he seems to have connections. Issue of kidnapping was discussed in another thread, maybe he can arrange the dissapearance of O'Sullivan Sr.

Last edited by aylib: 03-24-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old
03-24-2004, 03:02 PM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Contact Ceber, he seems to have connections. Issue of kidnapping was discussed in another thread, maybe he can arrange the dissapearance of O'Sullivan Sr.

Excellent idea!

*gets the ball rolling on a kidnapping plan*

Closed Thread