HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What is the 2010-2011 Cap Floor...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
  #1
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,326
vCash: 500
What is the 2010-2011 Cap Floor...

...expected to be. Does anyone know for sure, or are there any educated guesses out there?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
  #2
Agent007
Registered User
 
Agent007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,582
vCash: 500
At this point people don't even know what the 2009-2010 cap floor is going to be so anyone who says they know what the 2010-2011 cap floor is going to be might as well give you the lottery numbers while he's at it.

There are some who suggest the ceiling could go as low as 45 million while others believe 50 million. At this point that's the best estimated guess.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 04:56 PM
  #3
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
At this point people don't even know what the 2009-2010 cap floor is going to be so anyone who says they know what the 2010-2011 cap floor is going to be might as well give you the lottery numbers while he's at it.

There are some who suggest the ceiling could go as low as 45 million while others believe 50 million. At this point that's the best estimated guess.
45-50 is narrow enough a range for me to be happy with. I was really just looking for a ballpark figure, like that. If most can agree that it's very likely to be somewhere between those two numbers, than I'm satisfied with that.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 05:01 PM
  #4
surshot*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: OILCOUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
45-50 is narrow enough a range for me to be happy with. I was really just looking for a ballpark figure, like that. If most can agree that it's very likely to be somewhere between those two numbers, than I'm satisfied with that.
Nobody knows for sure if any one gives you an answer there just talking out there butt.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
  #5
ugotmybeef*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LA BABY!!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
I've heard 48 million from alot of sources. That's what at least Burke and co believe.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 05:24 PM
  #6
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Nobody knows for sure if any one gives you an answer there just talking out there butt.
I'm not looking for 100%. I'm just looking for likely vs. unlikely. It's probably very unlikely that it will be as low as 40 or as high as 55, right?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
  #7
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,766
vCash: 500
The more the cap goes down the better it is for my favorite team(The New York Islanders) since I know we will never spend over 45M and if it goes down a big chunk then alot of the top end teams are screwed meaning the Islanders can come in and sign a big name UFA

From what I hear the cap might go down 1-2M for 2009/10, no clue what happens in 2010/2011

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:01 PM
  #8
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,326
vCash: 500
Any guesses for next season?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:10 PM
  #9
Mike Richards 18
Registered User
 
Mike Richards 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 50
so if the cap goes down to 45million does that mean there are going to be so solid second line players that are overpayed that will not be able to find a team that can fit them in?? can the NHL really do that in a time where the sport is finally making a comeback to USA after the lockout???

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
  #10
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
IFFFF this economic issue was to end sooner, 10-11 could be around what it is now IMO

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:12 PM
  #11
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
so if the cap goes down to 45million does that mean there are going to be so solid second line players that are overpayed that will not be able to find a team that can fit them in?? can the NHL really do that in a time where the sport is finally making a comeback to USA after the lockout???
I am talking about the lower limit, not the upper limit. 45 million for the upper limit would insanely drastic.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:12 PM
  #12
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
IFFFF this economic issue was to end sooner, 10-11 could be around what it is now IMO
So do most expect it to drop a little, next season? To what?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
  #13
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I am talking about the lower limit, not the upper limit. 45 million for the upper limit would insanely drastic.
Lower limit is always 16 mil below the upper limit. And yeah, the general thinking is that 09-10 will be about the same as this year, if not a little lower (~56 mil upper/40 mil lower or just below), and 10-11 could drop from that even further if things don't rebound next season, numbers thrown around such as ~50 mil upper/34 mil lower but it's all just speculation at this point.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:51 PM
  #14
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
So do most expect it to drop a little, next season? To what?
From what I have heard---to like 49,50

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:07 PM
  #15
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Lower limit is always 16 mil below the upper limit. And yeah, the general thinking is that 09-10 will be about the same as this year, if not a little lower (~56 mil upper/40 mil lower or just below), and 10-11 could drop from that even further if things don't rebound next season, numbers thrown around such as ~50 mil upper/34 mil lower but it's all just speculation at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
From what I have heard---to like 49,50
Wait, what? brs03 has 40mil floor and you've got 50mil floor. That's a pretty big difference.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:13 PM
  #16
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Wait, what? brs03 has 40mil floor and you've got 50mil floor. That's a pretty big difference.
He's probably still writing of the ceiling, as that's what most people are used to thinking about nowadays. There's no way the floor hits 50 mil in the next 2 years.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
  #17
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,906
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Any guesses for next season?
I'd say it moves down 2 or 3 million. Just a guess though

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
  #18
Ado*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Québec
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Didn't the NHL make 50 million in profits last season? Why would they cut down the cap?

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:17 PM
  #19
Sneekypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Branford,Ct
Country: United States
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 500
I think if the cap were to go down there would be some rule put into effect to allow some teams to not have to dump mega salary.
Maybe something like face value of a contract on frontloaded deals. So for a player with a declinind contract ,instead of taking the average they use the actual salary. Or the possibility to renegotiate contracts as long as the players union and players agree.

I am basically talking out of my rectum so dont quote me on any of this. Just throwing out suggestions.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:31 PM
  #20
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
My guess is it moves up by like 500k this year, yes I believe it will move up, then I believe it will move up for 10-11.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:03 PM
  #21
Mike Richards 18
Registered User
 
Mike Richards 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 50
the NHL as a whole made profit but some teams are really struggling and others are flurishing IE Chicago Columbus etc

from what has been speculated is that the cap will be pretty close to the same next season but 10-11 is speculated to be 50m ceiling 34m floor if there isnt a solid rebound next season to prevent a lowering of cap salary limits

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:59 PM
  #22
The Pucks
Registered User
 
The Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Didn't the NHL make 50 million in profits last season? Why would they cut down the cap?

The cap is based on revenue, not profit.

No matter what the cap is the NHL has to expect to turn a profit. If the NHL did indeed have a profit of 50 million last season that is horribly low compared to the amount of investment each team has.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 04:58 AM
  #23
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
...expected to be. Does anyone know for sure, or are there any educated guesses out there?
The salary cap and floor for the 2010-11 season will be based on the revune of the 2009-10 season. Since this hasn't happened yet, any estimate you get is nothing more then a complete stab in the dark.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 05:05 AM
  #24
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Any guesses for next season?
I don't expect any major changes for the 2009-10 season. Attendence actually rose for the 2008-09 season, (by an extremely small percentage), but I'd imagine merchandise to a fairly big hit this year. I'd expect a drop of a few million this season, maybe an upper limit around $52 million).

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 07:49 AM
  #25
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,655
vCash: 500
As of right now it is absolutely anyone's guess!

The first significant clue will be announced at the end of June when the cap for the 2009-2010 season is released. The next best indicator will come when teams tally their season ticket renewals and deal with sponsorship issues. This means that by August or September we might be hearing some info that would give a sense of whether a large drop was in the cards. I am not sure when teams start to get updates as the whole process seems to be kept pretty close to the vest.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.