HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What's the first pick worth

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Potted Plant

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
What's the first pick worth

There's a thread on the Trade page about what the first overall is worth. What do you think it's worth? Which Ranger assets would you trade for it? As in, what trade proposal, if rejected, would you not improve upon and just keep what you have?

Assume, for the purposes of discussion that we have the #5 and the #25 pick in the upcoming draft.

I would give up the #25 and Tom Poti. Or, if they would prefer a different package, I'd offer the #25, Florida's 2nd rounder, and Jamie Lundmark. If they ask for more than that, I just stick with what we have.

Old
03-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Fletch

Rangers can't afford a package...

to get the #1 overall pick. Any package may include Tyutin and/or Jessiman. If the #25 overall pick, Florida's second, and Lundmark were enough to get Ovechkin, and Sather gets that done, then he's a god. I personally think that whoever gets that pick would be fired for doing that transaction.

Old
03-26-2004, 08:39 AM
Larry Melnyk

Agree with Fletch, forget trading up for Ovechkin..If we win the lottery, hot damn...Otherwise, at the MINIMUM, it would cost the #5 pick and two players like Tjutin AND JESSIMAn.....No thanks..Picking up a THELEN, RADULOV, STAFFORD, LADD or whoever to add to the organization is a good and smart consolation pize

Old
03-26-2004, 09:02 AM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie

I would give up the #25 and Tom Poti. Or, if they would prefer a different package, I'd offer the #25, Florida's 2nd rounder, and Jamie Lundmark. If they ask for more than that, I just stick with what we have.
If thats the offer then we will be sticking with what we have :p

Old
03-26-2004, 09:31 AM
NYR469

imo it is worth alot more than the rangers can afford to give up under the current circumstances...

Old
03-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Burberry Manning

I'd easily give up our 1st, lundmark and a couple 2nds if that's what is needed to get it done. I'd probably give up whatever picks are needed to give up in order to get Alex. Obviously I'd like to keep our 1st and trade away TO's but at some point I want quality over quantity. I want that one "money" player. Sorry, but right now we seem to be LOADED with 3rd and 4th liners who can play rough and tumble hockey, but we lack the bluechips who can be fixtures on our 1st line. Sure it's nice and safe to say "well gee gosh, I just dont think we have enough depth to be trading 3 or 4 picks for 1" but that is just not the mentality that will win us Cups. At some point you have to go out and get a go-to guy. You are going to need an "icon", a "showstopper". Well here is our chance. Ovechkin is as automatic a first-liner as they come. What would those 2nd rounders bring us? Most likely at least one bust. Then at best a couple of solid but unspectacular guys. It's not like we wont have plenty of chances at those types of players in the next few years. But a guy like Ovechkin can bring us alot more. Quality of quantity is what we need.

Old
03-26-2004, 10:24 AM
BLACKBURN

I think a fair trade would be

5th overall pick
+ Poti
+ Floridas 2nd round

Anything more is not woth it imo,

we should still get one of malkin, olez, barker, ladd if we dont get Overckin. I wouldnt mind staying where we are but using acouple of our 2nds to move up into the first of use torontos and a second to move higher.

Old
03-26-2004, 10:30 AM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
I think a fair trade would be

5th overall pick
+ Poti
+ Floridas 2nd round

Anything more is not woth it imo,

we should still get one of malkin, olez, barker, ladd if we dont get Overckin. I wouldnt mind staying where we are but using acouple of our 2nds to move up into the first of use torontos and a second to move higher.
What we're willing to give up and what the pick is worth are two different things.

I would be willing to do your trade as well, don't know if Pitt or whoever picks first would be.

Old
03-26-2004, 10:33 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
What we're willing to give up and what the pick is worth are two different things.

I would be willing to do your trade as well, don't know if Pitt or whoever picks first would be.
Exactly, I think we would probably see a lindros-esque overpay if another team got the no.1 pick.

Old
03-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Exactly, I think we would probably see a lindros-esque overpay if another team got the no.1 pick.
Not that drastic, but to get the #1 you would have to 'WOW' the team that holds that pick. 29 teams out there could offfer 'fair' deals.

Old
03-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Edge

I'm against overpaying.

If you do your HW and focus you should be able to get more talent then putting all your eggs in one basket.

As 1991 sometimes the best player isnt drafted first overall, despite what everyone thinks at the time.

Heck you couldn't do Lindros straight up for Forsberg, let alone all the elements that were included in that deal.

Ovchekin has the greatest odds of being something special, BUT if you draft right you get just as much talent spread out over 2 or 3 players.

Those 2 or 3 players are a much more diverse core than one guy.

Old
03-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Potted Plant

I agree with Edge. A lot of the deals out there being discussed on the boards just make me say, "I'd rather keep what we have".

Granted, I would *LOVE* to win the lottery and come out with the #1 pick, but if we don't, I wouldn't want to mortgage the house to buy it.

I'm pretty excited about having #5 and #25 if that's what we end up with.

Old
03-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
I'm pretty excited about having #5 and #25 if that's what we end up with.

Yeah, i'm all for keeping the picks, but i think that #25 will burn a hole in Sather's pocket, he'll trade up somehow, maybe between #7-#15. And I hope its for Thelen or Valabik

Old
03-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Edge

when all is said and done I will be shocked if we still have that pick/slot.

In fact I'd be surprised if he have all of our second rounders.

Old
03-26-2004, 12:43 PM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Not that drastic, but to get the #1 you would have to 'WOW' the team that holds that pick. 29 teams out there could offfer 'fair' deals.
I menat by Lindros-esue a large overpay, i didnt mean the equivalent of all those players and picks. I would be happy picking at 5ish and moving into the top ten by using our seconds and toronto's 1st.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Potted Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
when all is said and done I will be shocked if we still have that pick/slot.

In fact I'd be surprised if he have all of our second rounders.
I can easily see us using a 2nd rounder to move up in the first round to take a guy like Schremp. Like Sather, I like high-risk, high-reward players. I think about it this way: all else being equal, it would take about ten grinders to trade for a first line center. However, if the cost to move up 4 spots to the #1 position is multiple 2nd rounders and players, color me unenthusiastic.

Who would you see us targetting if we were able to move to, say, #11?

Old
03-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Edge

It really depends on who we grab with a higher pick.

Let's say we get Barker at 5, I think the Rangers go for someone like Schremp or a forward than.

Let's say they draft Ladd or a forward at number 5, i could see them going for O'Neil or Vilabik at 11.

Its really impossible to say because it depends not only on their pick, but the other teams as well.

either way their first pick will set what they do with a second or third pick.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Park #2

Quote:
It really depends on who we grab with a higher pick.

Its really impossible to say because it depends not only on their pick, but the other teams as well.

either way their first pick will set what they do with a second or third pick.
I had heard that Ladd has really impressed MacLean - who is looking for a tough winger as it is. Guess that depends on where the wind up. But at 2 I gotta tell ya, it would shock me if the took Malkin over Ladd. I could see them trading to 4 knowing they can get Ladd.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Edge

entirely possible and I love Ladd but I can't see them taking him over Malkin. Olesz, MAYBE.

I think picking in the top 5 is crucial. After my top 5 guys, i see a drop.

It's going to be interesting.

you say MacLean liked him, I know Sather and Maloney like him and there's one other team whom I'm pretty sure REALLY wants him.

Old
03-26-2004, 08:53 PM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
to get the #1 overall pick. Any package may include Tyutin and/or Jessiman. If the #25 overall pick, Florida's second, and Lundmark were enough to get Ovechkin, and Sather gets that done, then he's a god. I personally think that whoever gets that pick would be fired for doing that transaction.
for ovechkin i would give anything that would include poti or lundmark-- not murray or ortmeyer or tyutin or pock or lampman and a couple others.. but basically i would give the our two 1st's and 1 second all this years 2004 and lundmark/ umberger for there 1st( ovechkin ) and there 3rd... sounds fair wouldnt give up much more and what i said i quit a bit anyways for just one guy who could be a flop

Old
03-26-2004, 09:55 PM
BigE

Just curious here guys (Edge and Park) because you see these kids the most. If we were to take the top 10 rated kids for this years draft and throw them into last years draft...where would they have ended up, approximately?

Old
03-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Edge

eh, that's always difficult.

Ladd would probably be in the same boat as Getzlaf was last year.Figure anywhere from 15-20. It's hard to say because Getzlaf's performance has kind of set the tone for Ladd in the sense that people realize, sometimes the less sparling, more hard working player is just as good or better than the flash and dash players.

Ovechekin would go first, IMO.

Malkin would probably go around the 4-7 spot.

Olesz would probably go around from 8ish to 10ish.

Barker probably would have gone from 8ish -14ish.

Old
03-27-2004, 03:28 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Barker probably would have gone from 8ish -14ish.
Yep, that looks accurate.

Kevin Prendergast, the head of Oilers scouting, in an interview with HFBoards said he would put Barker behind Phaneuf, Suter and Coburn, but that he was still a pretty darn good prospect.

Old
03-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Edge

I agree, though he isn't far behind them.

On a side note he probably has more offensive potential than Suter, Coburn or Phaneuf.

it's so hard to compare draft classes because there are so many different factors,etc. that go into things.

Closed Thread