HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/NJ idea.

Old
05-20-2009, 06:26 PM
GDU

vCash: 500
lol no way from edmonton's standpoint, like not even close, keep dreaming devils fans

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
I really don't think Cogliano will be traded for an energy 3rd line guy. As good as Clarkson is(like a Brodziak); he's nowhere near the return that Cogs could fetch.
I would love to see Cogs centering the 2nd line with Gagner, and O'Sullivan.
Whites best days are behind him and I would rather see Smid get some tougher minutes.
I see Patrice Cormier as a career AHL'er.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I really don't think Cogliano will be traded for an energy 3rd line guy. As good as Clarkson is(like a Brodziak); he's nowhere near the return that Cogs could fetch.
I would love to see Cogs centering the 2nd line with Gagner, and O'Sullivan.
Whites best days are behind him and I would rather see Smid get some tougher minutes.
I see Patrice Cormier as a career AHL'er.
Then you really haven't watched Cormier enough.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:07 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I wish.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Then you really haven't watched Cormier enough.
Agreed, just finished watching the Rimouski game and Cormier was an absolute beast and anyone who says hes a career AHLer hasn't seen him play. Hes also on the same line with our prospects Cornet.

I still don't know if id make the trade though given I don't think it makes us a worse team for the next couple years but Cormier definetely makes me think twice.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

After watching another excellent performance by Cormier, I would have second thoughts on this deal, only because he fills such a major weakness for this team, a big strong center with a mean streak. There's a good chance that Madden could be gone and we Devils fans know and don't want Holik back. He definitely fits bill as our future 3rd line center and maybe a top 6 forward with the he's playing in the Memorial Cup.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 05-21-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Edmonton would want more. Gilbert has put up 40 points 2 years in a row and he's only making 4 mill on a team that can't score.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cogs and Gilbert got packed together.. but if it happens they'll get something much better than this.

If nobody wants to take on Brier's contract I offer (and you have every right to laugh at it

To Edmonton:
Carter
To Philly:
Gilbert
Cogliano
Edmonton's 09 1st rounder (10th overall)

Philly gets a much needed puck moving defenseman, a speedy, skilled and young forward and a decent 1st rounder. They also eat about 333k salary.

Edmonton gets a big center who can score to play up with Hemsky.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Edmonton would want more. Gilbert has put up 40 points 2 years in a row and he's only making 4 mill on a team that can't score.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cogs and Gilbert got packed together.. but if it happens they'll get something much better than this.

If nobody wants to take on Brier's contract I offer (and you have every right to laugh at it

To Edmonton:
Carter
To Philly:
Gilbert
Cogliano

Philly gets a much needed puck moving defenseman, a speedy, skilled and young forward and a decent 1st rounder. They also eat about 333k salary.

Thats a lot more than Joe Thornton, Chris Pronger(x2), or Roberto Luongo fetched. I'm hestitant to do that deal(as I'm positive Philly fans are as well).
In my opinion Mike Richards would be a better fit with the Oilers(cap hit is a little higher).
Waiting for a Flyer fan to say "Hemsky would have to be included"

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Thats a lot more than Joe Thornton, Chris Pronger(x2), or Roberto Luongo fetched. I'm hestitant to do that deal(as I'm positive Philly fans are as well).
In my opinion Mike Richards would be a better fit with the Oilers(cap hit is a little higher).
Mike Richards being traded has about as big a chance of happening as the Moon falling into the Earth.

Old
05-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

For the initial deal, there is no way the Oilers make that trade for Cogliano and Gilbert.

Remove Gilbert or Cogliano, replace one with Staios or Moreau and its a done deal. However, I see Gilbert and Cogliano as the two "best" assets in the trade by a fair margin. The Devils would still fill one of their two big holes while getting a veteran body to replace another outgoing player.

Or if you truly want Gilbert and Cogliano, at minimum the devils first would need to be thrown in.

So...

Gilbert + Moreau for Clarkson, White, Cormier
Cogliano + Staios for Clarkson, White, Cormier.
Cogliano + Gilbert for Clarkson, White, Cormier, + picks or high end prospect.

That is just the way I see it, but I honestly do not see the teams being a great fit for each other because the Devils likely want to try and improve their prospect quality, not deplete it even more while the Oilers likely will not be trading two of their young NHLers who are likely a big part of their future unless packaged for a one superior player.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I'm not saying its fair or close to it but why is it when other teams have young potential PF or physical #4 defensmen they ask for the moon for them but when NJ has them they are dime a dozen prospects and players.

Colin White does everything Willie Mitchell does for Vancouver. He plays number 1 PK and goes out against the top offensive players. He is still fairly young at 31. Mitchell is apaprently worth Zajac while White is only worth a 2nd or 3rd.

David Clarkson just turned 25 and was 3 goals short of 20, on top of that he has 150+ PIM his first two years in the NHL. Try find how many players under the age of 30 who can accomplish that.

If Patrice Cormier was prospect of any Canadian team they would basicly value him as a mid 1st rounder following the season he had. He makes Team Canada's 3rd line as an 18 year old and was used 2nd PK and in a shutdown role. This memorial cup he has destroyed everything in sight. He is good enough to walk into most team next year and make their 3rd/4th line.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Cogliano and Parise would = electric.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Mike Richards being traded has about as big a chance of happening as the Moon falling into the Earth.
The moon falling would get better odds in Vegas.

Old
05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I'm not saying its fair or close to it but why is it when other teams have young potential PF or physical #4 defensmen they ask for the moon for them but when NJ has them they are dime a dozen prospects and players.

Colin White does everything Willie Mitchell does for Vancouver. He plays number 1 PK and goes out against the top offensive players. He is still fairly young at 31. Mitchell is apaprently worth Zajac while White is only worth a 2nd or 3rd.

David Clarkson just turned 25 and was 3 goals short of 20, on top of that he has 150+ PIM his first two years in the NHL. Try find how many players under the age of 30 who can accomplish that.

If Patrice Cormier was prospect of any Canadian team they would basicly value him as a mid 1st rounder following the season he had. He makes Team Canada's 3rd line as an 18 year old and was used 2nd PK and in a shutdown role. This memorial cup he has destroyed everything in sight. He is good enough to walk into most team next year and make their 3rd/4th line.
I have been trashed by Oiler fans when I made this proposal in the first place and I still stand by it. If you want players who fill the grit roles on a team they still cost a lot and I thought my offer of cogliano and Gilbert was good value for NJ as well.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Clarkson is a better player than some posts in this thread imply.

Old
05-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
For the initial deal, there is no way the Oilers make that trade for Cogliano and Gilbert.

Remove Gilbert or Cogliano, replace one with Staios or Moreau and its a done deal. However, I see Gilbert and Cogliano as the two "best" assets in the trade by a fair margin. The Devils would still fill one of their two big holes while getting a veteran body to replace another outgoing player.

Or if you truly want Gilbert and Cogliano, at minimum the devils first would need to be thrown in.

So...

Gilbert + Moreau for Clarkson, White, Cormier
Cogliano + Staios for Clarkson, White, Cormier.
Cogliano + Gilbert for Clarkson, White, Cormier, + picks or high end prospect.

That is just the way I see it, but I honestly do not see the teams being a great fit for each other because the Devils likely want to try and improve their prospect quality, not deplete it even more while the Oilers likely will not be trading two of their young NHLers who are likely a big part of their future unless packaged for a one superior player.
I would agree with you as an Oiler fan, but if I look at it from the NJ side I really can't see why they trade all that grit without getting back top notch players.

If you look at our roster after the trade it looks a lot tougher to me.

Old
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Clarkson is a better player than some posts in this thread imply.
My view when proposing this was that Clarkson is a borderline 2nd liner who has grit. Oiler fans may not have seen this kid much but I have and he is the key to the deal from an oiler standpoint.

Old
05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
I have been trashed by Oiler fans when I made this proposal in the first place and I still stand by it. If you want players who fill the grit roles on a team they still cost a lot and I thought my offer of cogliano and Gilbert was good value for NJ as well.
I'm not sure if it is even value, it may favor NJ but we give up all our grit now and future grit. If I were Edmonton with the amounts of talent they have this is the type of trade I would do.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
My view when proposing this was that Clarkson is a borderline 2nd liner who has grit. Oiler fans may not have seen this kid much but I have and he is the key to the deal from an oiler standpoint.

My opinion on him is that he is a gritty third line player with the skill (or potential skill) to become a second liner in the league that puts up 50 points and hits. A less skilled version of David Backes I guess.

Unfortunately I think that he still has slightly less version then Cogs. It is close, but Cogs could fetch more in a trade then Clarkson which is why I wouldn't do those two straight up.

And then there is White and Cormier for Gilbert.
I also think that New Jersey gets the better end of this side of the deal. There is nothing wrong with White. He is a good player but he is 4 years older then Gilbert, only 1 mill cheaper and will do basically what Theo Peckham will be doing for the Oilers in 2 years. Cormier is nice, but I don't know if he is enough.

Would you guys do Strudwick and Chorney for Oduya? Because IMO those are pretty comparable trades.

EDIT: I can easily be wrong about my assesment of Clarkson. I only saw about 15 Devils games during the season and 7 playoff games so I didn't get to watch him enough to be fully knowledgable on him.

Last edited by Regin 43*: 05-21-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 04:02 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

To Edmonton:
Carter
To Philly:
Gilbert
Cogliano

Philly doesn't need a puck moving defense. Jesus christmas. I highly doubt you'll get Carter with that package..

Quote:
Hemsky would have to be included.

Quote:
I think the moon falling might occur first..

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
My opinion on him is that he is a gritty third line player with the skill (or potential skill) to become a second liner in the league that puts up 50 points and hits. A less skilled version of David Backes I guess.

Unfortunately I think that he still has slightly less version then Cogs. It is close, but Cogs could fetch more in a trade then Clarkson which is why I wouldn't do those two straight up.

And then there is White and Cormier for Gilbert.
I also think that New Jersey gets the better end of this side of the deal. There is nothing wrong with White. He is a good player but he is 4 years older then Gilbert, only 1 mill cheaper and will do basically what Theo Peckham will be doing for the Oilers in 2 years. Cormier is nice, but I don't know if he is enough.

Would you guys do Strudwick and Chorney for Oduya? Because IMO those are pretty comparable trades.

EDIT: I can easily be wrong about my assesment of Clarkson. I only saw about 15 Devils games during the season and 7 playoff games so I didn't get to watch him enough to be fully knowledgable on him.
The thing about Clarkson is I think your assessment is pretty accurate, but physical second/third line players are in huge demand these days. There aren't very many of them with 20 goal, 50 point potential who can hold their own in a fight with even the big boys.

Old
05-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

The Oil could sure use some edge up front. Their offensive core is all finesse. Hemsky, Gagner, Nilsson, Cogliano = great skills + no grit. Whether they target Clarkson or someone else, they need a beast to ride shotgun with Hemsky. Lucic would be tailor made for the Oilers.

Old
05-21-2009, 04:45 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Clarkson's never the most skilled player on the ice, and he has a pair of moves he uses over and over and over again, but the guy works hard, fights well, brings serious grit, and honestly I think he can be a consistent ~20 goal scorer.

I'm also super pumped about Cormier, I think he'll be a very solid NHL'er someday.

That said, I feel like Edmonton get fleeced just a little bit in this deal, so despite my love for Clarkson, I take the money and run, so to speak.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
The Oil could sure use some edge up front. Their offensive core is all finesse. Hemsky, Gagner, Nilsson, Cogliano = great skills + no grit. Whether they target Clarkson or someone else, they need a beast to ride shotgun with Hemsky. Lucic would be tailor made for the Oilers.
Honestly I would trade Gilbert and Cogs for Lucic in a minute. I know I will get crap from oiler fans for this idea as well , but he is exactly what we need .

Old
05-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofgrond View Post
Clarkson's never the most skilled player on the ice, and he has a pair of moves he uses over and over and over again, but the guy works hard, fights well, brings serious grit, and honestly I think he can be a consistent ~20 goal scorer.

I'm also super pumped about Cormier, I think he'll be a very solid NHL'er someday.

That said, I feel like Edmonton get fleeced just a little bit in this deal, so despite my love for Clarkson, I take the money and run, so to speak.
I actually agree that this is an overpayment, but how many teams will part with 2 core grit components on their active roster at once? If Edmonton did that we wouldn't have any left( Souray, Moreau?), but NJ can afford to do that. This deal might even leave them a little under manned in the grit department, so it would need to be an overpay.

The wild card in this in my mind is Cormier. He is also very gritty and looks like a very nice prospect. I looked at the NJ prospect list pretty hard and given our needs as a team Cormier was the best choice. I also looked at the 1st rounder and maybe that would be considered to be better by oiler fans, but I don't think the guy we get at 23 will be a lot better than Cormier.

My question is as a NJ fan which is better for you?

Cogliano, Gilbert and the 1st or cogliano, Gilbert and Cormier?