HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2009 Mock Draft v.2 & v.3 by Adam Kimelman, NHL.com

Old
06-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Ohio Jones
Game on...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs88 View Post
There is NO way the habs use there first round pick on a defenceman. There big whole is up the middle, they will draft a big C/forward
A big pivot would certainly be nice, but if the best player still available on the board according to their list is a defenceman, they woudl either take him or trade down.

After all, you're not drafting based on today's need, you're drafting the best asset you can. That's what BPA is all about, and it's especially important in the first round or two. Teams tend to use later picks to address depth issues in their system, but those first and second rounders that have the greatest chance of making it -- they want to be sure they draft the Best Player Available, to get maximum value for their asset.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:09 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Have you watched him play? His skating is not bad and he has the quality where he skates faster when he has the puck. After watching a guy like Bobby Ryan improve his skating from when he was Jeremy's age to what it is now, with hard work Morin will be a very good skater by the time he reaches the NHL. He's not slow by any means. Put it this way, it's far better than Rob Schremp's at the same age. The rest of his game came around this year as well. He's a great penalty killer -- which should tell you his skating isn't a liability at all.
His lateral mobility has a lot to be desired IMO. his straight away speed isn't terrible, even though he looks like he trudges a bit. However, I'd expect a player of his size to be a bit more limber on his feet. It doesn't really excite me to think he skates better with the puck... as a matter of fact, having players like Crosby and Malkin on the team, who's whole game revolves around carrying the puck and handling the puck so much, I'd prefer a player for the Pens who can really skate with them and move the puck to and receive from the two big guns. Malkin specifically needs a playmate, more than a trigger man... someone who's very fast and can handle the high talent level. I don't mean to say that Morin is just a trigger man, though I do still think his skating needs work.

My overall point is if I had it my way, the Pens would be taking a guy who's not afraid to take the puck to the net, but can do more than just hope to keep up with and support the high talent level of Malkin or Sid.

Don't forget, I've been suggesting that Morin probably won't fall and I reiterate that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to pass on Morin if he's BPA at that point (aka the only player that really falls to 30). I just am not so sure he's the player I'd want for the Pens; I'll leave it to the pros. Shero's done a pretty good job thus far at finding talent, so I'll let him and the staff decide, should that decision arise.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
His lateral mobility has a lot to be desired IMO. his straight away speed isn't terrible, even though he looks like he trudges a bit. However, I'd expect a player of his size to be a bit more limber on his feet. It doesn't really excite me to think he skates better with the puck... as a matter of fact, having players like Crosby and Malkin on the team, who's whole game revolves around carrying the puck and handling the puck so much, I'd prefer a player for the Pens who can really skate with them and move the puck to and receive from the two big guns. Malkin specifically needs a playmate, more than a trigger man... someone who's very fast and can handle the high talent level. I don't mean to say that Morin is just a trigger man, though I do still think his skating needs work.
His lateral mobility isn't a huge concern considering he's a forward, not a defenseman. Not to mention it's good enough to make him a valued member of the PK (one of the few places where it would be exploited as a forward) and his straight away speed is actually good, it's just his ugly stride I think people have a hard time getting over.

It may not excite you that he skates better with the puck, but that's the type of thing that excites scouts. At this point, Malkin/Crosby need anyone who can bury their feeds and Morin is the perfect type of player to find open space and can bury anything you throw at him. He's got Brett Hull-like ability on the PP and he's very sneaky 5-on-5. Yeah his skating does need work, but you don't draft 18 year olds as finished products. You draft those who you think will develop their weaknesses in the coming years. Based on my time watching Morin at the NTDP, he's improved his weaknesses beyond my expectations in two years. His skating has gotten better and his overall game has improved ten-fold. If he's already showing a willingness to improve his game at this age there's no reason to think he won't continue to do so.
Quote:
My overall point is if I had it my way, the Pens would be taking a guy who's not afraid to take the puck to the net, but can do more than just hope to keep up with and support the high talent level of Malkin or Sid.
Jeremy Morin can definitely do more than "hope to keep up with and support" the talent of Malkin and Sid. With Morin, they'd finally have a goal scorer who knows how to get open and can slam home one-timers with the best of them. Sure, he's not going to drive to the net like a power forward, but that's not his game. You're looking at similar goal scoring ability to Phil Kessel -- maybe better. He may not have his game breaking speed, but he's smarter and more rounded at the same stage of development.

I realize you're looking for the ideal winger for Malkin and Crosby, but the Pens are no longer going to have a two pick every draft so they won't exactly have flawless prospects on their draft board anymore. Players with Jeremy Morin's goal scoring ability have to be flawed in order to be around for their pick. You can take a goal scorer and teach him to skate, but you can't take a speedster and teach him to score.
Quote:
Don't forget, I've been suggesting that Morin probably won't fall and I reiterate that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to pass on Morin if he's BPA at that point (aka the only player that really falls to 30). I just am not so sure he's the player I'd want for the Pens; I'll leave it to the pros. Shero's done a pretty good job thus far at finding talent, so I'll let him and the staff decide, should that decision arise.
Fair enough. I don't think he'll even be around for the Pens to consider, but we'll see.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:52 AM
tony d
Ocean Spray

Ottawa's not going to be drafting a defensemen at #9, especially with Nazem Khadri still on the board.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote