HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Crash Course in learning to play?

Old
06-08-2009, 04:16 AM
beeker16

vCash: 500
Crash Course in learning to play?

I recently found out my college has established a team and is looking for players. I would really like to be part of this while I can (only 2 semesters left).

I have never skated on a team or played other than inline street hockey with a couple of friends almost 10 yrs ago.

I got sized for skates a couple of days ago and went with some older Bauer Vapors (new old stock) that should be in this week. I haven't done any skating in years and that was inline. I work out twice a week doing weights but am now set on 5 days a week doing cardio every other day as well now to build up endurance (and shed some weight).

Realistically I have my doubts I could contribute as a good player but I'd like to see what I can do in 3 months (season start) regardless to see if I could make it. Is this possible? What would be the best way to start?

beeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 07:08 AM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Your best bet is to take some power-skating classes, as trying to learn to skate on your own will only develop bad habits. Get a stick and a few stickhandling balls and search the internet for stickhandling drills and just practice those whenever you have time. If you have somewhere you can shoot grab a few pucks, learn correct techniques, and go from there.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:57 AM
LilWinger11

See if there's a rink near you that offers learn to skate or learn to play hockey classes for adults. Most rinks have some form of skating instruction for adults; intro to hockey isn't quite as common. 24godard is right that if you haven't skated on ice much you're better off getting some instruction to avoid picking up bad habits or incorrect technique.

If you can't find any suitable group classes, you could ask about private lessons. Some rinks will only do private lessons for figure skating but it's worth asking.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:30 AM
joeydzzle

also if u've never played an organized ice hockey game. I'd look up what responsibilities each positions has. Gets fustrating sometimes when people don't know what to do and just swarm the puck leaving someone wide open for an easy goal.

joeydzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:11 PM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16 View Post
I recently found out my college has established a team and is looking for players. I would really like to be part of this while I can (only 2 semesters left).

I have never skated on a team or played other than inline street hockey with a couple of friends almost 10 yrs ago.

I got sized for skates a couple of days ago and went with some older Bauer Vapors (new old stock) that should be in this week. I haven't done any skating in years and that was inline. I work out twice a week doing weights but am now set on 5 days a week doing cardio every other day as well now to build up endurance (and shed some weight).

Realistically I have my doubts I could contribute as a good player but I'd like to see what I can do in 3 months (season start) regardless to see if I could make it. Is this possible? What would be the best way to start?
I'm sorry, but there's no way in hell you should be able to make a college team in less than 2-3 years of playing, unless it's a beginner level team. What I recommend is starting in a beginner league now and then hanging out with the guys and learning what to do.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote