HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder on Canada's WC team

View Poll Results: Should Ryder be on Canada's WC team?
Yes 48 41.38%
No 68 58.62%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
Ryder on Canada's WC team

What do you think? Should he get a spot? I figure with a 23-man roster, 14 forward spots will be available. Everyone is talking about how Nash is a lock, but it could easily be argued that Ryder has been an all-around better player this year. All pro-Hab bias aside, if you were putting the team together Canada's WC team, would Ryder be on it?

Old
03-23-2004, 04:56 PM
Aarex

I believe the roster has room for like 2 extra under 23's which i believe ryder fits in (this is not correct information so if you know for sure correct me)

Old
03-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I would like to see him there but I don't think they will take him on the team. It's still early for him. Wait a couple of years and he will be on it...but not this year.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
I believe the roster has room for like 2 extra under 23's which i believe ryder fits in (this is not correct information so if you know for sure correct me)
Yeah, I heard that too, Rick Nash and...Ryder, Spezza, Bouwmeester?

Old
03-23-2004, 05:10 PM
GHG

Send a message via MSN to GHG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
That requirement is no longer there:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=77574

Personally I think he should be there, but it will be very tough. I think Bouwmeester is the only 'lock' for the team. Nash is a great scorer, but he can't play defensively for the life of him. That will be a reason for him not to make the team. I think it comes down to Spezza or Ryder. At the very least Ryder should be invited to camp.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHG

Personally I think he should be there, but it will be very tough. I think Bouwmeester is the only 'lock' for the team. Nash is a great scorer, but he can't play defensively for the life of him. That will be a reason for him not to make the team. I think it comes down to Spezza or Ryder. At the very least Ryder should be invited to camp.
I think that the fact that he did score 38 goals overshadow the defensive play...He will be there for sure.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Knucklez

Totally agree with GHG. The rule is you must have 3 players under 23 years old. So contending for those spots will be Nash, Bouwmeester, Spezza, and Ryder. Bouwmeester is a lock for sure, and personally I think Ryder is a better all around player than Nash. Ryder and Spezza are very similair players.

And if all Nash can do is score, his lack of defensive ability will be a huge factor in him making the team. I mean, this is Team Canada, we don't necessarily need more scoring with guys like Sakic, Iginla, Kariya, Thornton, and Tanguay already there. We need some solid 2 way players for the bottom 6, and I think Ryder fits that bill.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez
Totally agree with GHG. The rule is you must have 3 players under 23 years old. So contending for those spots will be Nash, Bouwmeester, Spezza, and Ryder. Bouwmeester is a lock for sure, and personally I think Ryder is a better all around player than Nash. Ryder and Spezza are very similair players.

And if all Nash can do is score, his lack of defensive ability will be a huge factor in him making the team. I mean, this is Team Canada, we don't necessarily need more scoring with guys like Sakic, Iginla, Kariya, Thornton, and Tanguay already there. We need some solid 2 way players for the bottom 6, and I think Ryder fits that bill.

Imagine that for a second...he can score goals with Columbus imagine if he was playing with Sakic...38 goals, I repeat 38 goals...He can just score...not a bad ability if you ask me...im all for the defensive system but Nash deserve a spot.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHG

Tell me you're joking... They would take Ryder before Nash??? So the "possible" Maurice Richard award winner doesn't deserve to be on this team? Ryder has a very good year and i know you guys are biaised but Nash is a given.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
Tell me you're joking... They would take Ryder before Nash??? So the "possible" Maurice Richard award winner doesn't deserve to be on this team? Ryder has a very good year and i know you guys are biaised but Nash is a given.
Amen! Tralalalalère!

You're right and defend the point because I can't, due to my lack of english knowledge!

Old
03-23-2004, 05:31 PM
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
No I'm not joking. Even though I am a Habs fan, that is not the reason why I think Ryder is a better choice. Let's face it, In huge tournaments this short, defence wins. Canada has way more firepower than any other team, and they have the defence and goaltending too. Nash, although he may win the Rocket Richard trophy, may not make the team. Anyway, it's my opinion and we'll have to wait until the summer to see who's right!

Old
03-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHG

Spezza cant play D either.

IMO Nash has to be there, he is a proliphic goals scorer with more skill than Ryder. If nash plays on the top two lines, then D wont shouldnt be much of a concern.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHG
No I'm not joking. Even though I am a Habs fan, that is not the reason why I think Ryder is a better choice. Let's face it, In huge tournaments this short, defence wins. Canada has way more firepower than any other team, and they have the defence and goaltending too. Nash, although he may win the Rocket Richard trophy, may not make the team. Anyway, it's my opinion and we'll have to wait until the summer to see who's right!
That's crap, it is like comparing Pavel Bure with anybody else...why don't you don't respect Nash he deserve that spot, he's a real sniper who know how to find the back of the net. If you favorise Ryder on Nash I think that you are simply funny.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
That's crap, it is like comparing Pavel Bure with anybody else...why don't you don't respect Nash he deserve that spot, he's a real sniper who know how to find the back of the net. If you favorise Ryder on Nash I think that you are simply funny.
I agree Nash is twice the player Ryder is!

Old
03-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I agree Nash is twice the player Ryder is!
Haha! *Moumni is now allied with mooch*

Old
03-23-2004, 05:40 PM
GHG

Spezza has fit in really well with the Sens defensive system this year. As a matter of fact, he is a +22, tied for second on the team. He's much better than Nash defensively, and the main reason why he has only 20 goals is that he has been playing on the 3rd line all season (14 min per game). Nash plays over 17 min per game on the top line. And guess what? They have the same number of points.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:45 PM
smnhppu

Some people here are going overboard. Ryder is very good, even great, but you want to cut Nash for Ryder??

Old
03-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Habsolution

I'm just awed Ryder has got 13 votes. Thankfully I was here to break the tie in favour of Nash. Don't be such homers people.

Old
03-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
I'm just awed Ryder has got 13 votes. Thankfully I was here to break the tie in favour of Nash. Don't be such homers people.
What does Homers mean? In french?

Old
03-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I cannot see this happening. Nash is a superstar in the making, 1st overall pick, the next up and coming star. Ryder is awesome, but lets be honest, not quite the same. I think Hockey Canada will want to groom Nash to be a future captain one day, so he will make the team (regardless of the abolishment of the U22 rule). I would have loved to see Ribeiro even on the team, but there is no way in the world that could happen.

Maybe if Portugal formed a team, they could recruit this guy. He could be a legend for that country

Last edited by Tricolore#20: 03-23-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old
03-23-2004, 06:03 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
What does Homers mean? In french?
Des partisans qui sont VRAIMENT vraiment biaisé pour leur équipe. C'est comme si quel qu'un dit que Dagenais est meilleur que Heatley pcq il a marqué plus de buts cette année.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:05 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20

Maybe if Portugal formed a team, they could recruit this guy. He could be a legend for that country
Isn't Ribeiro canadian but have Portugeese heritage thus would only be eligible for canada?

We should make a team Quebec...think about it Theo, Tanguay, Ribeiro, Bergeron...could be good

Old
03-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
Isn't Ribeiro canadian but have Portugeese heritage thus would only be eligible for canada?

We should make a team Quebec...think about it Theo, Tanguay, Ribeiro, Bergeron...could be good
71 - C
Mike Ribeiro
Date of birth: February 10, 1980
Place of Birth: Montreal, Que., Canada (See..not Portugese at all, he just have an heritage like you said)

Thanks FelixD for Homers!

Old
03-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd

Yeah, of course he is Canadian. He played for the Canadian World Junior Team in 2000.

I was just joking around with that. Plus, a lot of Canadian players (who were born in Canada) play for German, French and Swiss national teams, because their parents or grandparents were born in those countries. In tennis, Mary Pierce and Greg Rusedski are both from Montreal, and represent France and Britain. And in soccer, Owen Hargreaves is born in Calgary, but plays for England.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:13 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Greg Rusedski from Montreal represent Britain.
Maudit traitre!

Closed Thread