HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryder on Canada's WC team

View Poll Results: Should Ryder be on Canada's WC team?
Yes 48 41.38%
No 68 58.62%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Was Ryder even on the initial list released by Hockey Canada? I don't think he was, so this isn't even a debate.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Moumni_Bachir

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Yeah, of course he is Canadian. He played for the Canadian World Junior Team in 2000.

I was just joking around with that. Plus, a lot of Canadian players (who were born in Canada) play for German, French and Swiss national teams, because their parents or grandparents were born in those countries. In tennis, Mary Pierce and Greg Rusedski are both from Montreal, and represent France and Britain. And in soccer, Owen Hargreaves is born in Calgary, but plays for England.
Yeah but England we already have the nationality for there...I think...

Old
03-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
Yeah but England we already have the nationality for there...I think...
No you don't. You would not be able to play for a nation unless you either have citzenship or your parents have citzenship in that country. My father is from England therefore I would be able to play for England or Canada. But once you play for a country you are unable to compete in international competion with any other. Which is what happened to Nabokov at Salt Lake City.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Tricolore#20

Yeah thats true Tuggy. The World Cup though isn't IIHF sanctionned, so it doesn't follow international rules. So I think Nabokov will play for Russia, and Nedved (who played for Canada at the 1994 Games) will play for the Czechs.

Old
03-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Yeah thats true Tuggy. The World Cup though isn't IIHF sanctionned, so it doesn't follow international rules. So I think Nabokov will play for Russia, and Nedved (who played for Canada at the 1994 Games) will play for the Czechs.
It's not? That's good because I want Nabokov to play for Russia

Old
03-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
No you don't. You would not be able to play for a nation unless you either have citzenship or your parents have citzenship in that country. My father is from England therefore I would be able to play for England or Canada. But once you play for a country you are unable to compete in international competion with any other. Which is what happened to Nabokov at Salt Lake City.
I tought that it was the same as Surinam is for Netherland or Guyanne Francaise for France.

Old
03-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
Haha! *Moumni is now allied with mooch*
Lets attack

Old
03-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Canadienne

Not to take anything away from any other player, but I believe that Ryder would be a very valuable asset for Team Canada. Yes, certainly we will have plenty of scorers but, as we've seen, pure scorers have been and can be neutralised on any given night. If such a situation developed, who do we fall back upon - offensive-minded defensemen or young, hard-working forwards with an instinct for the net and one of the best wrist-shots since Joe Sakic? We should be prepared for all instances. No, Ryder may not be the greatest offensive threat we could field but he has become, for all intents and purposes, Montreal's secret weapon this season... and I believe that he could play a significant role, just the same as determined leaders-through-hard-work players such as Madden, or Maltby do for their teams. Every team needs this kind of player, just as much as they need scorers, checkers, defence and goaltending. I think there is more than enough room on our team for Ryder and Nash... and any other young turk aswell.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
It's threads like this that give Habs fans a bad name

Old
03-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Yup

Old
03-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Guy Caballero

St. Louis
Tanguay
Recchi
Stillman
Sullivan
Iginla
Doan
Bertuzzi
Walker
Murray
Smyth
Nash

Those are the Canadian natural wingers that have more than or close to as many points as Ryder this year. Granted, a couple of veteran centers will probably be used at wing, but that still leaves lots of positions to fill on the wings, with the guys above and a few big-name old-timers most likely to fill them. Guys like Sullivan and Stillman wouldn't get a sniff at my team, so I thought out of the 10 or so winger slots available, Ryder might get a look.

If you are absolutely convinced that Walker, Recchi, Roberts, Nolan, Shanny, and whoever else simply have to play, then fine, chalk up the suggestion to homerism and move on, but I think Ryder would be pretty valuable on a fourth line as an energy player who can score, more so than a busted up, slow veteran who used to be a roughneck, the kind of players that lost the last WC for us.

I think if Morrow were suggested, people would listen, but since it's Ryder, people are afraid to entertain the thought for fear of being labelled biased.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Clumsyhab

Ryder is good, but not yet ready for the World Cup this year. In 2006, maybe he will be considered for the Olympics, if NHL players are allowed to go.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
I'm just awed Ryder has got 13 votes. Thankfully I was here to break the tie in favour of Nash. Don't be such homers people.
The poll isn't Ryder vs. Nash it's does Ryder deserve a spot on the team and I think he does. Why not give Eastern Canada some representation!

Old
03-23-2004, 11:59 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Why not give Eastern Canada some representation!

*COUGH* Glen Murray *COUGH*

Old
03-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
The poll isn't Ryder vs. Nash it's does Ryder deserve a spot on the team and I think he does. Why not give Eastern Canada some representation!
The way the thread was brought up it was kinda implied it was either Nash or Ryder so voting yes meant Ryder instead of Nash. That's how I saw it anyway.

Altough it doesn't matter much cuz anyway you want to slice it Ryder ain't making this team. Neither is Ribeiro.

I repeat : take off the red-blue and white coloured glasses people.

Last edited by Habsolution: 03-24-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old
03-24-2004, 12:52 AM
MattScott

Send a message via MSN to MattScott
Likely with most of the youngsters making the squad it's going to mostly be for grooming purposes. You pick not only the really good youngsters that should make the team, but they likely won't play huge minutes, so you're gonna pick the ones who are also likely to becomes superstars that will lead this country to greatness in the future. Give those youngsters some experience in international play, and playing with the very best that this game has to offer. Thinking of it that way, I'd have to go with Spezza and Nash over Ryder, since I think both of their ceilings are much higher than Michael's. Plus the fact that Nash is also a much better player, just look at his goal totals on a dismal Columbus squad.

Old
03-24-2004, 03:43 AM
MattScott

Send a message via MSN to MattScott
Scratch what I previously said... The age restrictions for the rosters have been dropped. Did i miss something or did no one see this yet?

Quote:
Team Canada suffered a minor setback Tuesday when World Cup of Hockey organizers announced it had dropped the under-22 roster rule for this summer's tournament, eliminating what could have been a tremendous depth advantage for the Canadian team.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=77574

Old
03-24-2004, 04:14 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau

Yeah, this is an embarrassment. How are we ever going to shake the stereotype on these boards as clueless homers with ridiculous threads like this.

Old
03-24-2004, 04:27 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

No way.
I like Michael, but he is far from being a real candidate for team canada.

Old
03-24-2004, 05:05 AM
felixd

This thread isn't about who is better, it's about whether or not Ryder should get a shot at the WC team. I would be willing to bet that no habs fan right now would turn down a Nash for Ryder deal if it was offered, but I think many of them like Ryder a lot and want to see get a shot at the WC. I don't think anyone is being an extreme homer really. No one has blatantly said Ryder>Nash

Old
03-24-2004, 05:50 AM
Canadienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
This thread isn't about who is better, it's about whether or not Ryder should get a shot at the WC team. I would be willing to bet that no habs fan right now would turn down a Nash for Ryder deal if it was offered, but I think many of them like Ryder a lot and want to see get a shot at the WC. I don't think anyone is being an extreme homer really. No one has blatantly said Ryder>Nash
Exactly! Who are the real embarrassments here? The holider-than-thou types who jump on anyone who dares to even think maybe one of our guys could ever compare to some other team's player or people who support and show their support for their team's players! Call it homerism if you want. There's nothing wrong with actually believing in the players you (supposedly) are rooting for, is there?
Nobody ever said that Ryder was better than anyone else or that he should get a spot over some other guy. He has done very well and his progress seriously ought to be enough to atleast be considered. No one is saying he's actually going to make the team... but it would be great if he did. If that makes me a homer, so be it. I can think of worse things to be called...

Old
03-24-2004, 06:44 AM
mcphee

How about a poll within a poll. How long before Prrebel pushes for his all Newfie team in the tournament ?

Old
03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Habber

This is fairly ridiculous.

Ryder's having a good season...for a rookie who wasn't expected to make the team. But to suggest that he is one of Canada's top 10 wingers is laughable.

I dare someone to go post this in the NHL talk forum and see what kind of reaction you get.

Old
03-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Canadienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
This is fairly ridiculous.

Ryder's having a good season...for a rookie who wasn't expected to make the team. But to suggest that he is one of Canada's top 10 wingers is laughable.

I dare someone to go post this in the NHL talk forum and see what kind of reaction you get.

I haven't seen anyone suggest any such thing. I see people showing their support for a player they like. Nothing more. It's personal preference and it's not any more laughable than yours or anyone else's preferences so take it for what it's worth. This isn't any NHL talk forum, it's a MONTREAL CANADIENS forum and we're discussing, I think, a Montreal Canadien player's POSSIBLE invitation to the WC camp... no one is saying he actually will get it or will make it. All that is being said, is that here is a really good, young kid who's worked hard and deserves some respect, even from snobs who diss him because he's not a so-called franchise player, or a future superstar or whatever their bias against him may be. The Montreal Canadiens would not be where they are right now, if it weren't for his contributions. That alone, I think, is worthy of consideration by TPTB who are assembling the WC team. I don't see why our team (the WC team) would be worse off with a player like Michael Ryder on it.

Old
03-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienne
I haven't seen anyone suggest any such thing. I see people showing their support for a player they like. Nothing more. It's personal preference and it's not any more laughable than yours or anyone else's preferences so take it for what it's worth. This isn't any NHL talk forum, it's a MONTREAL CANADIENS forum and we're discussing, I think, a Montreal Canadien player's POSSIBLE invitation to the WC camp... no one is saying he actually will get it or will make it. All that is being said, is that here is a really good, young kid who's worked hard and deserves some respect, even from snobs who diss him because he's not a so-called franchise player, or a future superstar or whatever their bias against him may be. The Montreal Canadiens would not be where they are right now, if it weren't for his contributions. That alone, I think, is worthy of consideration by TPTB who are assembling the WC team. I don't see why our team (the WC team) would be worse off with a player like Michael Ryder on it.
Whoa, you went out into left field there buddy.

The question was: Should Ryder be on Canada's WC team?

I said nothing about deserving respect, or dissed him, etc. And I wasn't discussing a possible invitation to try out. All I did was answer the question, so ease off.

I like Ryder and appreciate what he's done for the Habs this year, I just think there are many better and more deserving Canadian players out there.

Closed Thread