HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Do you think the Isles are making a mistake if they don't draft Tavares ?

Old
05-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I firmly believe, the Isles NEED to pick Tavares. Being an Isles fan, I think it would be a huge mistake not to take him. He is exactly what the Isles need (that's why I think they screw it up), the Isles have been one of the lowest scoring teams for the last 10 years, and need offense desperately. Tavares fills that need, and even if you don't draft for need, if you draft "Best player available", that's Tavares also. So what do you all think ? Big mistake by passing up Tavares (if they do) ?
I am a Rangers fan, but I live on Long Island. Been to the coliseum hundreds of times. Personally, for the Islanders I think it's a terrible mistake if they don't draft Tavares first overall. This is not a knock on Hedman, i'm sure he's going to be a solid defenseman in the NHL someday...but the buzz on Tavares is exactly what the Islanders need to start putting arses in the seats in Long Island. He is by far the more recognizable name, and for the Isles...A team that basically needs just about everything. Gotta start with the best player in the draft who also has potential superstar appeal. Let's face it...This organization has made some real bad moves over the years. Last years trading on thier first rounder not once but twice definately soured Islander fans again. Granted, they did a tremendous job in the later rounds IMO...but realistically, how many yenta's from Westbury actually know who Petrov, or Niemi, or Aaron Ness are? How many fans there know that Jonathan Toews little brother is in the system? This organization needs an injection of life, and they need to start by making some noise and taking who the majority feels is the best palyer in the draft...And also the one who is the most recognizable name in the draft as well. If the pick gets dealt again...I really feel for Islander fans it will be the straw that broke the camels back.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 08:48 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
I couldn't agree more. They're not going to sell anywhere nearly as many Hedman jerseys as they would Tavares jerseys. This fact alone leads me to believe that the Isles will make the right pick.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
Snow needs to stop acting like he is Sam Pollock in the 70's and get what his scouts feel is the BPA.
Well his scouts might well have felt that Bailey was the BPA and saw the opportunity to get him and extra picks, and if he becomes a 70-80 pt pivot they may be proven right over time. I guess we'll see.

sveiglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Ceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Business Decision : John Tavares

- Butts in the seats
- Marketable Future to Casual Fan
- Exciting Play

Hockey Decision : Victor Hedman

- Not the Strongest Defensive Prospects
- Huge Size
- Build Defense Out (Personally the Right Way)

Could also help the Islanders by the fact that one could argue that Islanders will not win as many games with VH as they will JT because JT will be more of an offensive. So for the next 2-3 years the Islanders will also be able to look forward to great placement for future picks.
For a while i've been of the belief they should take Hedman but the mroe I think about it it should probably be Tavares.

Both are organizational needs. Both are phenomenal prospects with bright hockey futures. Hedman is probably the stronger choice for them hockey wise (slightly), but the economic factor Tavares brings is so so needed for them right now.

Ceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:55 AM
mapes

For the ISLANDERS it might be smarter to get Tavares. His name you can sell more and therefor possibly bring hockey back to the Island. He's someone you get more excited about.

For most teams I would say it wouldn't matter but to a team like that, they need Tavares.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
I thought it was dumb to trade down last season and would rather have Luke S in the bank then a couple of second rounders.
Isles just need to pick one of the top two and move on. Snow needs to stop acting like he is Sam Pollock in the 70's and get what his scouts feel is the BPA.
Prospect cupboard was bare and Snow didn't feel like taking a defensive defensemen with the 5th pick. Traded down because Janikowski loved Bailey.

Bailey, Ness, Hamonic, Petrov and a 2nd rounder in this year's draft for the #5 overall (essentially) last year? Hell of a value he got for that.

Pure Slaughter Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Joey Mac

the islanders need a player to resurrect fan base and if they plan on trying to stay in long island tavares is the guy who could help their efforts. either player would be a good pick, but tavares is the guy who fans will be excited to see a little more than hedman

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
VictoryRose

You know, the whole "marketable to the casual fan" thing was tried this last season with Stamkos, and didn't work out too well.

I realize JT is a different player, a different talent, but at the very least Stamkos is much more affable off the ice (which isn't saying much consider JT's almost robotic like interview process) and that's a factor to marketing to casual fans. Ideally JT's prowess for goal scoring would overcome all that.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I think drafting Hedman could get as much hype as drafting Tavares...

I'm in a bunch of marketing classes right now at college and even I could spin Hedman into a hype campaign.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 11:49 AM
scott99

I will actually let out a huge sigh of relief if they take Tavares (20% chance). A slight sad grown if they take Hedman (a great prospect 20% chance), and an angry growl if they pick Duschene (60% chance), lol.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
You know, the whole "marketable to the casual fan" thing was tried this last season with Stamkos, and didn't work out too well.
Thank you. Marketing supports the business operations.

Operating your business to support marketing is ass backwards.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Ceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
I think the difference is Tampa Bay fans already had a reason to come out to games with Vinny and St. Louis there.

The Islanders are so gawd-awful on the ice that I honestly do think Tavares gives more people a reason to bother coming to the game.

Old
05-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Thank you. Marketing supports the business operations.

Operating your business to support marketing is ass backwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceekay View Post
I think the difference is Tampa Bay fans already had a reason to come out to games with Vinny and St. Louis there.

The Islanders are so gawd-awful on the ice that I honestly do think Tavares gives more people a reason to bother coming to the game.
They were so gawd-awful on the ice that they beat Ottawa this season.
2008-09 season: Thu Nov 13 2008 at Ott NY Islanders 3, Ottawa 1
2008-09 season: Sat Nov 15 2008 at NYI NY Islanders 3, Ottawa 2
2008-09 season: Sat Nov 29 2008 at NYI NY Islanders 4, Ottawa 2
2008-09 season: Sat Mar 21 2009 at Ott Ottawa 5, NY Islanders 2

Poster above is right. There is no difference. And there's no reason for the Islanders to get it backwards.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Ceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
They were so gawd-awful on the ice that they beat Ottawa this season.
2008-09 season: Thu Nov 13 2008 at Ott NY Islanders 3, Ottawa 1
2008-09 season: Sat Nov 15 2008 at NYI NY Islanders 3, Ottawa 2
2008-09 season: Sat Nov 29 2008 at NYI NY Islanders 4, Ottawa 2
2008-09 season: Sat Mar 21 2009 at Ott Ottawa 5, NY Islanders 2

Poster above is right. There is no difference. And there's no reason for the Islanders to get it backwards.

Don't take it as a personal insult. They *were* awful. So was Ottawa. The Islanders beating up on the Sens last year has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

We just have a difference of opinion I guess. I think the two players are pretty close talent/potential wise, and I honestly believe the Islanders would sell more tickets if they drafted Tavares. It's a lot easier for a casual fan to appreciate Tavares scoring highlight reel goals than it is to appreciate all the contributions Hedman would bring.

I look at the Islanders lineup and I ask myself who are casual fans going to pay to come see. There isn't a lot there. Again, not trying to be insulting, just a personal opinion.

To me it comes down to organizational needs at the #1 pick this year, as I don't see a lot to seperate Hedman/Tavares. If I was the Sens or the Lightning i'd want Hedman. If I was the Kings or Thrashers i'd want Tavares.

Old
05-22-2009, 03:07 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I couldn't agree more. They're not going to sell anywhere nearly as many Hedman jerseys as they would Tavares jerseys. This fact alone leads me to believe that the Isles will make the right pick.
That's not fact, that's speculation.

How is jersey sales a valid reason for drafting somebody?

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 03:28 PM
drew1234

To Isles fans.

JT is similiar to Heatley and Hedman is similiar to Neids in the way they play. Except, Hedman is 6'6.

So how many cups does Heatley have / will have? Compared to Neids?

What has Zdeno Chara done going to Boston where as Ottawa Losing Chara?

O-side. Okposo and Bailey are pretty good. Next year like another poster said there are a lot of offensive players next year. There is some decent Dman's but are they anywhere close to Hedman?

Either way Isles will get a good player. Just depends what you want for the future. Is a 6'6 dman that can skate better then a future heatley?

drew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 03:34 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I firmly believe, the Isles NEED to pick Tavares. Being an Isles fan, I think it would be a huge mistake not to take him. He is exactly what the Isles need (that's why I think they screw it up), the Isles have been one of the lowest scoring teams for the last 10 years, and need offense desperately. Tavares fills that need, and even if you don't draft for need, if you draft "Best player available", that's Tavares also. So what do you all think ? Big mistake by passing up Tavares (if they do) ?
Depends on what they can get if they trade the pick.

Ultimatly, usually getting "The best possible player" is the way to go.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 03:42 PM
whitesox_2000_22*

I personally think I would think long and hard about trading down in their situation, try and get as many picks as they can in the top 40 to 50 picks of this years draft. There is so much talent in the first few rounds this draft that I think trading down and obtaining more picks would help this hurting franchise out more in 2 or 3 years ala the Blachawks mentality of not to long ago? Sure having Tavares or Hedman is great and might help the books right now but i dont think either of those players single handely are going to put the Isles over the non playoff bump to be honest. Even with John Tavares the genrals where still an awful team one player cant fix a whole team!

whitesox_2000_22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Jedi Pengu*

In 5 years, this thread will be a joke and a LOT of posters in here will look very very stupid. Tavares and Hedman are not on the same level, Tavares has the possibility of Legend status and is already good enough to play in the NHL. Hedmen is great but too many scouts are trying hard to find the NEXT Lidstrom from Sweden. He is a partial product of the media and to be honest IF I had the first and second picks of this draft, I still wouldn't pick Hedmen. NHL forwards are going to abuse this guy, MARK MY WORDS.

Write this down!!

Jedi Pengu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 03:58 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1234 View Post
O-side. Okposo and Bailey are pretty good. Next year like another poster said there are a lot of offensive players next year. There is some decent Dman's but are they anywhere close to Hedman?
Either way Isles will get a good player. Just depends what you want for the future. Is a 6'6 dman that can skate better then a future heatley?
I don't see the Isles jumping to the top of the East anytime soon. Grabbing a D-man that has the makings of a Neidermeyer, Lidstrom is a good piece to add before a forward. Next year there will be a ton of forwards as mentioned.

Both Tavares and Hedman I don't believe will make an impact on how the team plays next year. The Isles have some early picks so grab the d-man add the depth forwards past the first line and then next year grab the "scorer". Maybe that second pick this year ends up being better the Tavares....who knows.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 04:01 PM
AgentNaslund*

It will be a terrible choice not to take the best player. I think it will be a huge mistake if they drafted Hedman, who does not skate like Neidermeyer, sorry boys, he is just a real fast skater for someone who is 6'6.

But yea, if they don't select him is, Tampa's gain.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Pengu View Post
In 5 years, this thread will be a joke and a LOT of posters in here will look very very stupid. Tavares and Hedman are not on the same level, Tavares has the possibility of Legend status and is already good enough to play in the NHL. Hedmen is great but too many scouts are trying hard to find the NEXT Lidstrom from Sweden. He is a partial product of the media and to be honest IF I had the first and second picks of this draft, I still wouldn't pick Hedmen. NHL forwards are going to abuse this guy, MARK MY WORDS.

Write this down!!

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
hockeywhiz

Isles should pick Tavares. No question.

hockeywhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Slaughter Value View Post
Bailey, Ness, Hamonic, Petrov and a 2nd rounder in this year's draft for the #5 overall (essentially) last year? Hell of a value he got for that.
Actually, I believe it was Bailey, Ness, Ullstrom, Niemi and the 37th this summer for the #5.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 07:54 PM
IslesFTW

I was on the Tavares bandwagon, but I just recently switched to the Hedman bandwagon. I think finding a huge rock who can score from the blue line, play defense, and skate like the wind is tougher than finding a first line scorer.

As for the "Tavares can put butts in the seats" thing, Victor Hedman can too. It just seems like Tavares is the only one because well, "Tavares" is the only thing the casual Islander fan knows about the draft. However, after watching the draft on TV, they will be just as excited about Hedman as Tavares. Besides, a few extra hundred tickets sold by Tavares isn't going to change this team's financial situation. That is all depending on the Lighthouse project, and neither Hedman nor Tavares is going to effect that.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote