HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BCE interested in buying the Habs

Old
05-22-2009, 04:55 PM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Oh I agree on that. Although, yes most telecom companies in Canada have their own issues. Rogers and Videotron, IMO, are as worst, as I've had to deal with them.

Still, my major point is, telecommunications in Canada is a ball of wax of its own. Managing ISPs and networks has nothing to do with the Habs. BCE had interests in many things over the decades, banking, media and so forth, and these sectors never had problems. I cheked and they sold RBC at a high price, which means that the company thrived under BCE. Having a controlling interest of the Habs doesn't mean they'll manage it like Bell Canada. Bell Mobility, when it started, before it was merged back with Bell Canada, but was still owned by BCE, had an extremely good track record, and was managed very well.

That's my main point. BCE owning the Habs doesn't mean they'll be managed like BC, far from it. If you look at companies that BCE have held, other than the starting one which has to deal with very intricate arrangements and an oversized bureaucracy, its the opposite for them, they've been manage very well. Its only in the telecommunications sector that issues arise with BCE. So the correlation between Habs being managed like BC is pretty weak.

Add to this that Savard agrees to let them join his venture is a sign that BCE will let the Habs be managed as they should be.

Which is the total opposite with Quebecor, which is all about merger, merger, convergence, convergence, brainwashing the masses with repetition into the Quebecor products. They would definitely change the Habs.
I think it's more of a grudge i have against them. I admit that the way they manage Sympatico will not be how they manage the Habs. I know from good inside sources that there was/is a lot of instability in Bell. Layoffs and change in management at the top. I wouldn't feel very safe with the habs in their hands

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 05:23 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Al-Quaeda as owners. Bomb everyone who starts ****.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 05:57 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
You would probably get banned from the Bell Centre. Just sayin'.

usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
No more pretzels and no more American anthem at the BC!!!!

The Habs year book will include an abbreviated version of the protocols of the elders of Zion.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 06:44 PM
KelownaCaptain26

Just reading up in the thread had a couple points to make. Mainly for Neofury.

First off I read somewhere that Bell Customers aren't recieving their allocated amount of Megs, based on "speedtest.net or speakeasy.net"

This is not true, For starters those speedtests are not completely accurate. Hook up with a proper ADSL meter(testing device) and you will see your actual Download speed is on average 1 meg more than what you see on your screen.

Also when using bell sympatico, if you check what in fact you are paying for, each package says"up to 7megs, or up to 2.5 megs, etc" This means you may not get exactly that number but something reasonably close. Many things go into DSL, and how much speed each person can get to their house. Some things that factor in are: capacitance, attenuation, strength of the line, etc" Bell dedicates a separate line from their central office to YOUR HOUSE. This means it is never shared, or will not experience slow speeds at peak hours. Videotron/Rogers all run 1 big wire down the street and branch off to each house dramatically decreasing your speeds. This not only creates downtime at peak times, but can also be a security hazard when doing online banking or other secure functions.

I also read somewhere that it take a long time to get them to send out a technician?

Here's the fact, each truck roll out costs money. Plain and Simple. Bell needs to make sure 100% that the problem is "technician worthy." Don't get me wrong there are times when they can make mistakes and may give you a tough time when you MAY in fact be correct and the problem is on their end but just because YOU are computer savvy, that doesn't mean the rest of the world is. They cant afford to be sending out trucks for people who:
  • Filter their modem or don't filter their phones
    Don't plug their modem into a jack
    Don't enter their PPoE info correctly

the list can go on.... but these are just some of the reasons why they try to screen the situation as much as possible before they send a tech out for stupidity

Another thing...a technician would only ask you to remove your modem from your "system" in order to correctly trouble shoot the problem....who's to say your modem didn't get cooked with a power surge? Just because you didn't necessarily TOUCH something, doesn't mean something cant go wrong on your end.........If your the professional why do you call, and not fix it yourself??

In another area you point out you'd like to know the numbers of people leaving Bell for other providers.

I cant give you exact numbers, but sure there are lots of people. Many people switched cause they hate bell, others switch cause its something "new" others switch cause its cheaper, or the "flavor of the week" But you also leave out the amount of people who left Bell for something new only to see the grass wasn't really all that greener on the other side, only to make the switch back.

Other than Rogers/Videotron most DSL is Bell lines, so if you have: Primus, tech-savvy, acanac, etc and hate bell, you're still supporting them.

Bell is working vigorously on improving their DSL services by bringing the fiber closer to the homes and offering as many megs as possible, but like anything IT TAKES TIME. They cant fix over a century's worth of infrastructure over night......You may hate it now, but when your grandma or great grandma was finally able to pick up a phone and make a phone call over 100 somewhat years ago, you wouldn't have hated it then....

Anyways, take what you want from that, any questions id be more than happy to answer, the main thing is that everyone is entitled to their opinion on a company, but no one should completely rip into a company when they don't really know what is going on.

In the end just like ANY company or Government, Its all just a cash grab plain and simple.

KelownaCaptain26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaCaptain26 View Post
Just reading up in the thread had a couple points to make. Mainly for Neofury.

First off I read somewhere that Bell Customers aren't recieving their allocated amount of Megs, based on "speedtest.net or speakeasy.net"

This is not true, For starters those speedtests are not completely accurate. Hook up with a proper ADSL meter(testing device) and you will see your actual Download speed is on average 1 meg more than what you see on your screen.

Also when using bell sympatico, if you check what in fact you are paying for, each package says"up to 7megs, or up to 2.5 megs, etc" This means you may not get exactly that number but something reasonably close. Many things go into DSL, and how much speed each person can get to their house. Some things that factor in are: capacitance, attenuation, strength of the line, etc" Bell dedicates a separate line from their central office to YOUR HOUSE. This means it is never shared, or will not experience slow speeds at peak hours. Videotron/Rogers all run 1 big wire down the street and branch off to each house dramatically decreasing your speeds. This not only creates downtime at peak times, but can also be a security hazard when doing online banking or other secure functions.

I also read somewhere that it take a long time to get them to send out a technician?

Here's the fact, each truck roll out costs money. Plain and Simple. Bell needs to make sure 100% that the problem is "technician worthy." Don't get me wrong there are times when they can make mistakes and may give you a tough time when you MAY in fact be correct and the problem is on their end but just because YOU are computer savvy, that doesn't mean the rest of the world is. They cant afford to be sending out trucks for people who:
  • Filter their modem or don't filter their phones
    Don't plug their modem into a jack
    Don't enter their PPoE info correctly

the list can go on.... but these are just some of the reasons why they try to screen the situation as much as possible before they send a tech out for stupidity

Another thing...a technician would only ask you to remove your modem from your "system" in order to correctly trouble shoot the problem....who's to say your modem didn't get cooked with a power surge? Just because you didn't necessarily TOUCH something, doesn't mean something cant go wrong on your end.........If your the professional why do you call, and not fix it yourself??

In another area you point out you'd like to know the numbers of people leaving Bell for other providers.

I cant give you exact numbers, but sure there are lots of people. Many people switched cause they hate bell, others switch cause its something "new" others switch cause its cheaper, or the "flavor of the week" But you also leave out the amount of people who left Bell for something new only to see the grass wasn't really all that greener on the other side, only to make the switch back.

Other than Rogers/Videotron most DSL is Bell lines, so if you have: Primus, tech-savvy, acanac, etc and hate bell, you're still supporting them.

Bell is working vigorously on improving their DSL services by bringing the fiber closer to the homes and offering as many megs as possible, but like anything IT TAKES TIME. They cant fix over a century's worth of infrastructure over night......You may hate it now, but when your grandma or great grandma was finally able to pick up a phone and make a phone call over 100 somewhat years ago, you wouldn't have hated it then....

Anyways, take what you want from that, any questions id be more than happy to answer, the main thing is that everyone is entitled to their opinion on a company, but no one should completely rip into a company when they don't really know what is going on.

In the end just like ANY company or Government, Its all just a cash grab plain and simple.
Yeah and I was part of that. I used to have Bell DSL and then went to videotron because my GF (now ex) and I wanted to put everything on one bill and should've cost less (phone-cable-internet), I switched back to Bell because in the end I was paying 40$ (even with the rebate from the other services) per month, my connection wasn't going any faster than 2,5 mbps, I only had 30 gigs of d/u load per month (at the time, 20 for D and 10 for U) and I constantly had problems with it. After about 8 months, I checked Bell's offers because I was utterly tired of all the problems I had with videotron and mainly because it was too damn slow (I was living on Bourbonnière, which is close to downtown), and with Bell I got my connection for about 30$ per month (with rebate from the phone line combo), the modem was running between 4 and 6 mbps most of the time, and I had 60 gigs of D/U load separated in any way as long as both together didn't add up to more than 60. So for 10$ less per month, my modem was quicker, had double the amount of download/upload, and had way less trouble with it.

If you live in the city, I highly doubt a videotron internet connection is faster than Bell's. Outside of the city, quite probably, because the load is much less on the coaxial cables, wheras in the city its almost maxed out.

Old
05-23-2009, 10:10 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Hmmm I'd hate it if BCE had shares in the Habs. Whatever they manage is doomed. And I know, I've worked for Bell, and I can tell you they are a bunch of unorganized retards.
I could say the same for Quebecor as I worked for them in the past and their organization and management skills and opertional instincts are awful...look at every part of that company, they are all money losers with shake up after shake up and it is a sinking ship, no need for Montreal Canadiens to go down with their sinking industry and poor management and judgement.

I would rather see BCE come in with Savard, although a single owner without partnership or company boards needing to approve money matters would be ideal much like Gillet now.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 12:28 PM
freakerz

The announcer would have to be Amelie, or Annie, or whatever her name is nowadays!

freakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I could say the same for Quebecor as I worked for them in the past and their organization and management skills and opertional instincts are awful...look at every part of that company, they are all money losers with shake up after shake up and it is a sinking ship, no need for Montreal Canadiens to go down with their sinking industry and poor management and judgement.

I would rather see BCE come in with Savard, although a single owner without partnership or company boards needing to approve money matters would be ideal much like Gillet now.
I've heard it all, BCE better than Quebecor? I hate Quebecor as much as the next guy but BCE is one of the worst company in Canada. It's incompetence at every levels. And i've never heard of Quebecor being a sinking ship, they're the top at every fields, from cable providers to phones services to the internet. Over here in Quebec city people are abandoning Bell Canada services for Videotron left and right.

I wish Serge Savard was with somebody else, frankly.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I've heard it all, BCE better than Quebecor? I hate Quebecor as much as the next guy but BCE is one of the worst company in Canada. It's incompetence at every levels. And i've never heard of Quebecor being a sinking ship, they're the top at every fields, from cable providers to phones services to the internet. Over here in Quebec city people are abandoning Bell Canada services for Videotron left and right.

I wish Serge Savard was with somebody else, frankly.
hum, yes, Quebecor is a sinking ship, I think it's well known ... PKP still has his pockets full and doesn't my money nor yours, but Quebecor is nothing to get excited about these days

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Roots73

I would be fine with BCE buying into the Habs... on one condition. They would have to bring back the Beavers, Frank and Gordon, and setup a fight to the death cagematch with Youppi for the rights to be the Habs mascot.

Now that would be great intermission entertainment.

Roots73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:24 PM
TinordiandSubban

Youppi's a lover, not a fighter but those beavers would make him snap into rage mode.

I hated those commercials. Almost put me off beaver tails, kept hearing Norm macDonald in my head saying "So...ya like beaver."

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post
Youppi's a lover, not a fighter but those beavers would make him snap into rage mode.

I hated those commercials. Almost put me off beaver tails, kept hearing Norm macDonald in my head saying "So...ya like beaver."
Hey, don't diss the Norm.

What I really miss is those French ads Bell had with Benoit Brière.

So let's all agree on a slam fest of the beavers Youppie and Benoit Brière dressed as either 'le beau-frère' or the old lady.

PS.: not many people are aware of this, but Norm MacDonald was born in Quebec city and grew-up there.

Old
05-25-2009, 05:10 PM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Hey, don't diss the Norm.

What I really miss is those French ads Bell had with Benoit Brière.

So let's all agree on a slam fest of the beavers Youppie and Benoit Brière dressed as either 'le beau-frère' or the old lady.

PS.: not many people are aware of this, but Norm MacDonald was born in Quebec city and grew-up there.

of course, why else would someone be so cynical and bitter?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 05:29 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
hum, yes, Quebecor is a sinking ship, I think it's well known ... PKP still has his pockets full and doesn't my money nor yours, but Quebecor is nothing to get excited about these days
You are mixing up two companies.

There is "Quebecor World", which is sinking... That was the company who owned newspaper printing shops all over the world.

and then there's "Quebecor" which really is at the top of everything. They are huge and extremely profitable.

Quebecor is suing Quebecor World for the use of the name, btw. Probably because too many people does the same mistakes.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
of course, why else would someone be so cynical and bitter?
LMAO

It figures

Old
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
You are mixing up two companies.

There is "Quebecor World", which is sinking... That was the company who owned newspaper printing shops all over the world.

and then there's "Quebecor" which really is at the top of everything. They are huge and extremely profitable.

Quebecor is suing Quebecor World for the use of the name, btw. Probably because too many people does the same mistakes.
Quebecor has really 2 units that are very profitable: Sun Media Québec and Videotron. Sun Media (rest of Canada) loses money, TVA makes or loses, depending on the quarters, its magazines are losing money (like any magazine business these days), and its weekly newspapers are in shambles.

Quebecor inc. is making money essentially because of Sun Media Québec and Videotron.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote