HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

NHL Scouting Combine

Old
05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
wings5

vCash: 500
How about some past European results. For some reason North Americans are dominant compared to their European counter parts. I expect big things from Myllari and Mattias Lindstrom in strength categories. Myllari's dad was a swedish wrestler.

Never mind they are not attending.

Last edited by wings5: 05-26-2009 at 06:21 PM.
wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:29 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Who are the two AJHL players? I'm sure one is Dylan Olsen but I have no clue who the other is.

Thanks.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:34 PM
john g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
Who are the two AJHL players? I'm sure one is Dylan Olsen but I have no clue who the other is.

Thanks.
Corban Knight I'd wager a guess

Last edited by john g: 05-26-2009 at 07:16 PM.
john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
I'm 19 and i can do 150 lbs 19 times and I weigh 160.

I just don't think that is very impressive considering these players are semi pro already.
Not trying to say you're lying or anything, but generally I find when someone claims they can do so-and-so amount they are being pretty generous, and it's the often the amount they can do on a good day when they haven't already done a lot of other exercise (which these guys will have to do).

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 09:11 PM
alienanton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
I'm 19 and i can do 150 lbs 19 times and I weigh 160.

I just don't think that is very impressive considering these players are semi pro already.
id LOVE to see a video of you benching 150 for 19 reps with strict form at 160 bw...

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:57 PM
jlockhart89

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post
id LOVE to see a video of you benching 150 for 19 reps with strict form at 160 bw...

Agreed, I'm 20 years old and have been involved in athletics all my life and pretty strict weight training since about 17. I weigh 168lbs. and i doubt I could push off 19 reps at 150lbs. Fatigue more then anything would become an issue.

I can do 185lbs. for 3 sets of 10 reps and i can say I don't think I'd manage 19 reps of 150lbs. But if he can all the best to him.

jlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:24 AM
orcatown

Interesting that Erixon is listed as born in the U.S. but played for Sweden. Don't know how that came about. Did he have a choice???

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:42 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Interesting that Erixon is listed as born in the U.S. but played for Sweden. Don't know how that came about. Did he have a choice???
He was born in New York while his father Jan played for the Rangers, and he was two when his family moved home to Sweden.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Highest I've heard in recent years was Andrew Ladd cranking out 22 reps in his draft year.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 07:50 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Every time there is a thread on this, someone posts head to heads of Hodgson and Wilson's stats at the combine and Hodgson beat him at a few of the upper body strength tests, which shocked me, hopefully someone can find these stats.
Push Strength (lbs):
Hodgson 337
Stamkos 310
Schenn 236
Bogosian 278
Wilson 270

Pull strength (lbs)
Hodgson 302
Stamkos 252
Schenn 240
Bogosian 295
Wilson 273

Bench: (150lbs reps)
Hodgson 13
Stamkos 12
Schenn 10
Bogosian 19
Wilson 21

Pushups: #
Hodgson 37
Stamkos 36
Schenn 28
Bogosian DNC
Wilson 27

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
The bench press etc. are also timed with a metronome. If you don't do them within a certain amount of time and with the rhythm, they aren't counted. Most of the numbers that people quote as being able to do in the annual thread on this would be a lot lower if done in the same fashion as these kids do.
Pffft. Why bring the reality of the testing into the thread? Regardless of how many times it is pointed out that they have to do them to a certain form and in a certain manner, people still don't seem to understand.

Similarly, the claims of "so-and-so will do well and so-and-so won't" prior to the release of the results is... mindboggling.

05-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Canucker

I seem to recall Zach Boychuk having a very strong combine as well. I remember people were impressed at how ripped he was.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Lundface

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I seem to recall Zach Boychuk having a very strong combine as well. I remember Pierre McGuire was impressed at how ripped he was.
Fixed

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:21 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Originally Posted by Canucker
"I seem to recall Zach Boychuk having a very strong combine as well. I remember Pierre McGuire was impressed at how ripped he was."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Fixed
Excellent

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 11:27 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...bers-game.html

Looks like he's still only interviewing.
when I click on that link my software gives a virus warning. I tried just accessing THN site and get the same Trojan warning JS:Obfuscated-AM

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:34 PM
NAVYHM

Does anyone know if this year events were pushed back? Last year there were daily updates with video and interviews - so far, nothing.

Also, just to join the fun. I lift regularly and would recomend 'German Volume Training' to anyone looking to bulk up and add muscle to their frame, just be prepared to puke (the 4 second negative is a killer). In so saying I end my current bench press with a set of 21's at 135, same for incline. If you can do sets at 225 then 150 isn't as tough, but these guys are still young and the slower timing is a huge factor. Next time you're on the bench do a slower negative, don't let the bar hit your chest and you'll see.

NAVYHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVYHM View Post
Does anyone know if this year events were pushed back? Last year there were daily updates with video and interviews - so far, nothing.
The physical is testing Friday and Saturday according to the Central scouting site. TSN starts their blog on Friday.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Devils1029

They'r probably doing all of the player interviews first with the testing done at the end. I think TSN will have a blog tomorrow (thursday) about the Combine.

Devils1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 01:43 PM
noobman

I'd be more interested in a player's VO^2 max, lower body strength, and explosiveness (timed pushups/situps) than with the bench press test.

If anything, that's just a good way to see whether or not the player in question hits the weights at all.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Similarly, the claims of "so-and-so will do well and so-and-so won't" prior to the release of the results is... mindboggling.
Well, judging by the articles I've seen so far regarding the combine, John Tavares is the only prospect attending. So it's safe to say he'll have the best results.

Seriously though, I know Tavares has all the hype behind him, but would it really kill them to mention or get a quote from any one of the other 103 prospects there?

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
PumpkinBomb

I will point out one thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet.

Quite often a poor score on something in the combine will actually increase a player's stock.

For example, A Dany Heatley who wasn't able to do any bench presses, yet absolutely lights it up on the ice helped him increase his stock because GM's thought that he would get even better when he started actually working out, which happened.

Alternatively a player like Zach Boychuk can't really get in any better conditioning, or physical shape, so what you see on the ice is what you'll get, and he won't improve with more conditioning.

PumpkinBomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:03 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post

Quite often a poor score on something in the combine will actually increase a player's stock.

For example, A Dany Heatley who wasn't able to do any bench presses, yet absolutely lights it up on the ice helped him increase his stock because GM's thought that he would get even better when he started actually working out, which happened.

Alternatively a player like Zach Boychuk can't really get in any better conditioning, or physical shape, so what you see on the ice is what you'll get, and he won't improve with more conditioning.
good observation

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post

LOL we'll i'll take that as a compliment.

But really, the difference is, I'm not tired out like these guys are before they started lifting. I don't have to do a vertical jump or V02 testing etc. So I'm sure Hodgsons, Schenn could bench more when they are fresh.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post

I never thought of it that way. Good input.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Quakmybush

I've worked out beside Taylor Beck a couple of times, kid is pretty strong. Wouldnt be surprised to see him put up good numbers.

Quakmybush is offline   Reply With Quote