HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

NHL Scouting Combine

Old
05-29-2009, 05:03 AM
Garl

vCash: 500
Guys, get real. Hockey is a tough sport, and there's absolutely no way guys like Colin Wilson can't do more than 21 rep on 150 lbs bench press or more than 40 push-ups. I am not a pro and still I can easily do 100 push-ups without a break and keep my breath, as for 150 lbs bench press, I don't know exactly but I did like 26 reps 3 years ago when I was way weaker than now.

So if you start to use your brain a bit you will understand that it's not so simple.Something tells me that results at combine for me would have been way worse than they are in life.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 06:47 AM
MitchRobichaud

Send a message via Skype™ to MitchRobichaud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Guys, get real. Hockey is a tough sport, and there's absolutely no way guys like Colin Wilson can't do more than 21 rep on 150 lbs bench press or more than 40 push-ups. I am not a pro and still I can easily do 100 push-ups without a break and keep my breath, as for 150 lbs bench press, I don't know exactly but I did like 26 reps 3 years ago when I was way weaker than now.

So if you start to use your brain a bit you will understand that it's not so simple.Something tells me that results at combine for me would have been way worse than they are in life.
If you can do 100 strict push ups easily, you must be some powerful. I think the reason they don't do many push ups is just cause they're not used to it. I once started at 25 push ups and every night i'd do one more and I got to 90 something before i have up(tore my shoulder playing ball). Now i could maybe do 50 because i'm not used to it anymore. Bench press is the same, all about form and muscle in your chest.

MitchRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Hamilton35

Whats with the big emphasis on the bench press? This isnt football, I am going to paraphrase Patrick O'Sullivan here, "I have never benched a goal in."

For hockey, this is the least important exercise at the combine. I would be suprised if any guys in the NHL actually do barbell bench during the season. Personally I would rather they do a squat test, but there is a greater risk so it will never happen.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:25 AM
hockeywatch

anybody got anything anywhere on combine yet this morning???
tsn.ca blog not up yet??
central scouting page have anything???

hockeywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:01 AM
eddy

TSN has started their blog for the combine. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280255

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamking143 View Post
If you can do 100 strict push ups easily, you must be some powerful. I think the reason they don't do many push ups is just cause they're not used to it. I once started at 25 push ups and every night i'd do one more and I got to 90 something before i have up(tore my shoulder playing ball). Now i could maybe do 50 because i'm not used to it anymore. Bench press is the same, all about form and muscle in your chest.
That guys not kidding dude...im 25 years old and have been working out since i was 18 and i can honestly say that i can roll out of bed and do 100 strict push ups with no problem at all. Im not bragging, i think that if you constantly strength train you should be able to do this. These guys are supposed to be world class athletes (which i certainly am not). If they cant do it now, they sure as hell better be able to do it soon.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Schroeder vomited!!!!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Schroeder vomited!!!!
And did 17 reps on the bench press.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
peskypenguin4

I don't know whether it is a good or bad thing that he vomited. It's good because it showed that he was able to push himself and that he will improve with more conditioning. The bad is that throwing up kind of makes him look very bad.

peskypenguin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
I don't know whether it is a good or bad thing that he vomited. It's good because it showed that he was able to push himself and that he will improve with more conditioning. The bad is that throwing up kind of makes him look very bad.
I think it's a good thing. If you're willing to push yourself to the point of throwing up, then you're pretty committed to giving it everything you've got.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Ian Esplen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I think it's a good thing. If you're willing to push yourself to the point of throwing up, then you're pretty committed to giving it everything you've got.
yah i agree scouts like seeing puke

Ian Esplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
If you read the blog it clearly states that vomiting at the end of that test does not reflect poorly on the participant because it indicates you pushed yourself to the limit.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:35 AM
carcajou

I sure want a guy who will puke for my team!

carcajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:38 AM
peskypenguin4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
If you read the blog it clearly states that vomiting at the end of that test does not reflect poorly on the participant because it indicates you pushed yourself to the limit.
I didn't see that on TSN anywhere. Personally, I agree with that but I think a few years ago Kessel was bashed for throwing up after a test so I was wondering what others thought. Schroeder is one of my favorite prospects and I am glad he did well.

Old
05-29-2009, 10:42 AM
PatBateman

Quote:
I didn't see that on TSN anywhere. Personally, I agree with that but I think a few years ago Kessel was bashed for throwing up after a test so I was wondering what others thought. Schroeder is one of my favorite prospects and I am glad he did well.
The TSN Blog clearly states that both Kreider and Schroeder vomited. It reads, " He then proceeded to throw up at the end of his VO2 test - it should be noted that this doesn't weigh against Kreider in the eyes of the GMs. People generally see this as a sign that a player pushed himself to the limit."

PatBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Is it a women who writes that blog or is it Pierre McGuire? So Palmieri is ripped, everybody turned their heads, they all have tattos.....anybody making out to this point?

I wish we would have a little more info on more players.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 10:52 AM
peskypenguin4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBateman View Post
The TSN Blog clearly states that both Kreider and Schroeder vomited. It reads, " He then proceeded to throw up at the end of his VO2 test - it should be noted that this doesn't weigh against Kreider in the eyes of the GMs. People generally see this as a sign that a player pushed himself to the limit."
I see it now but didn't before haha. Like I said above, I wanna say that maybe it was Kessel that was bashed around here for throwing up. I am not real sure though but that's why I questioned whether it was bad or good.

Old
05-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Urgi

looking forward to see how msp and hedman are doing on these tests! is msp tomorrow?

Urgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Acekicker123

From the bottom of TSN's blog:

"STILL TO COME LATER THIS AFTERNOON: Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn, John Tavares, Matt Duchene and Victor Hedman."

Acekicker123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:10 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

It's so tiring having to go over this again, and again, year after year. The bench presses we do at home are different from the bench presses they do at the combine. The push ups we do at home are different from the push ups they do at the combine. Why is this so hard to understand for people? It should be completely obvious by the results. It's not as though draft eligible hockey prospects are just coincidentally also extremely weak young men. If people would actually use their brain's for a moment, they could come to this conclusion themselves and we would have to waste five to ten pages on it EVERY SINGLE COMBINE.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:16 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Why are we getting reports on bogus weights and heights on players? Isn't the combine where they are officially weighed and measured? Are those official heights and weights released?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
I see it now but didn't before haha. Like I said above, I wanna say that maybe it was Kessel that was bashed around here for throwing up. I am not real sure though but that's why I questioned whether it was bad or good.
I believe that the person who was chastised for throwing up was because it wasn't after the VO2...

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Mcjlockhart89
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
i thought faster was better, more explosive.....im not a lifter as you could probably tell.
No, to do a steady timed rhythm is much more productive then firing them off. A slow steady pace allows your muscles to be worked for a proper duration whereas a fast paced rhythm, while still working your muscles, isn't having nearly the same benefit.

Obviously in the case of the combine the rhythm and form is also important to see how the athletes perform in comparison to each other as opposed to everyone working differently, which would obviously yield different results.

Mcjlockhart89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:21 AM
tiny103

I assume these guys are doing these tests one after the other, so they are probably not even doing these strength tests at 100%.

tiny103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
peskypenguin4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
I believe that the person who was chastised for throwing up was because it wasn't after the VO2...
That could be the case. I can't recall either way.