HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trying to sign Emelin

Old
05-26-2009, 08:01 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Valentenko left for a good reason, even though he did leave. I think the contract he signed was for more than a year. He might be interested to return, but chances are that he won't and we'll probably never see him in NA again.
Guess we'll see if the Habs agree with you that he left for a good reason, I'm thinking we won't be seeing him.

The contract he signed was for 2 years plus an option, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Im pretty sure its going to be a one way contract or nothing. No AHL for him.
Who, Emelin, Valentenko or Trunev? Cause none of them can sign a one way deal at their current age.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:11 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I really think people need to temper their expectations a bit. I would be very surprised if he didn't start the season in the AHL.

The only reason he may not (if we do sign him) is because his contract would stipulate it.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:19 AM
AH

He may have a Streit clause where they had to have him on the NHL roster for at least 50 games so he could collect an NHL salary.

They will probably give him a signing bonus + some guarantees of being on the NHL roster so that he makes close to what he was making in Russia.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
While he would need to sign a 2-way deal, I'd imagine he'd try to work in an escape clause where if he were to be sent down, he could opt to be reassigned back to Russia.

I'm not entirely sold on this kid's commitment to making it in North America, but would love to see him give it a shot. We have a number of mobile, offensive d-men coming up (Subban, McDonagh, Weber, perhaps Carle...), so adding a tougher guy to the mix is something I'd be well in favour of. On that note, I also think it's a shame it looks like we won't give Paquet a shot, cause I really thought he had potential to be a sleeper and also fits that mold.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Bottom line, if he brings the physical game he was known to have when we drafted him, has some speed and a good shot (which i've heard a few people on here say he had) with a good first pass out of his zone, that's pretty much better than anyone on our defense besides Markov. Love Gorges, but he can't hit, Komi lost his game completely and lets face it he's slow, Hamrlik was a rock in his first year with us but was probably over worked this year cause he looked slow and exhausted by the end, Dandenault is decent but is more of a forward, and Bouillon is well, always injured. I'm not even going to go into O'byrne, he needs more time in the AHL. I'm exaggerating a little but i'm excited to have Emelin come over, and i guarantee that you will make a difference this year if he signs with us. Its obvious this team is missing a d-man who's speedy and an aggresive body-checker. NOBODY on our team hit this year (after Komi went lamo). Frankly, if he looks like Bouillon did before he got injured a couple of years ago i'll be thrilled, but i'm guessing he'll be better than that simply by virtue of his pedigree.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
Guess we'll see if the Habs agree with you that he left for a good reason, I'm thinking we won't be seeing him.

The contract he signed was for 2 years plus an option, I believe.
He couldn,t make enough to support himself and his family, so he left for Russia. That's what I heard and thought that's why he left. That's a good reason, imo,

Though, I agree, we'll probably never see him again.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 11:18 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He couldn,t make enough to support himself and his family, so he left for Russia. That's what I heard and thought that's why he left. That's a good reason, imo,

Though, I agree, we'll probably never see him again.
Well he certainly got a lot more money but it's not a good reason, or let's just say there's a little more to it then what was said in the media. I was a big fan of his but now I would be surprised if the Habs would take him back.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Bottom line, if he brings the physical game he was known to have when we drafted him, has some speed and a good shot (which i've heard a few people on here say he had) with a good first pass out of his zone, that's pretty much better than anyone on our defense besides Markov. Love Gorges, but he can't hit, Komi lost his game completely and lets face it he's slow, Hamrlik was a rock in his first year with us but was probably over worked this year cause he looked slow and exhausted by the end, Dandenault is decent but is more of a forward, and Bouillon is well, always injured. I'm not even going to go into O'byrne, he needs more time in the AHL. I'm exaggerating a little but i'm excited to have Emelin come over, and i guarantee that you will make a difference this year if he signs with us. Its obvious this team is missing a d-man who's speedy and an aggresive body-checker. NOBODY on our team hit this year (after Komi went lamo). Frankly, if he looks like Bouillon did before he got injured a couple of years ago i'll be thrilled, but i'm guessing he'll be better than that simply by virtue of his pedigree.

Old
05-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Frankly, if he looks like Bouillon did before he got injured a couple of years ago i'll be thrilled, but i'm guessing he'll be better than that simply by virtue of his pedigree.
And that's exactly what I wanted to compare him to beside Kaspairaitis and especially if we want to compare him to one of our players. Emelin, right now, might be a Bouillon with a better first pass. And in order to get his offensive confidence going, he would be a good guy to have on the PP#2. So in the end, he would have the potential to be a upgraded Bouillon. If we improve, we're getting better.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And that's exactly what I wanted to compare him to beside Kaspairaitis and especially if we want to compare him to one of our players. Emelin, right now, might be a Bouillon with a better first pass. And in order to get his offensive confidence going, he would be a good guy to have on the PP#2. So in the end, he would have the potential to be a upgraded Bouillon. If we improve, we're getting better.
And that's exactly what we were missing so much of during the season: quick transition offence out of our zone. If our starting defence next year is something like Markov-Hamrlik, Gorges-Beauchemin, Emelin-Weber/Schneider, suddenly guys like plekanec, Kostitsyn, Higgins and Paccioretty are getting quick passes and flying up the ice with the kind of flair we showed 2 years ago. How on earth are you supposed to be good offensively if you're a smallish forward who has to dump the puck in all the time? A Defense like this will change everything.

Old
05-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If we improve, we're getting better.
Words of wisdom my friend..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Words of wisdom my friend..

Mr. Obvious is my nickname, didn't you know?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote