HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Wings Roster 2: Signings/Negotiations/Trades

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2009, 09:01 PM
r0bert8841

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
Let Hossa walk.
DO NOT TRADE FILPPULA. HE IS YOUR FUTURE DATSYUK!
To Nashville: Sammuelson
To Detroit: Dan Ellis (Hell play his guts out for Detroit!)
Hudler is our future Datsyuk, he just needs to bulk up alot and work on his defense. Filpulla is our future.... I don't know but he will be our first line center in 4-5 years putting up 70+ points a year.

Old
06-05-2009, 09:59 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Flip is not a future Datsyuk. He doesn't have playmaker's hands.
Filp is a very underated Playmaker.

I think he is the datsyuk of the future with one caveat. Trade Dangle for Speed.

Filp will never dangle like datsyuk but is added speed in someways can compensate for it. ATM Dats has a much better shot as well but there is no reasons Filps shot wont develop to Dats level.

Filp may have a bit less vision than datyuk.

Old
06-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post

I think he is the datsyuk of the future with one caveat. Trade Dangle for Speed.

Filp will never dangle like datsyuk but is added speed in someways can compensate for it. ATM Dats has a much better shot as well but there is no reasons Filps shot wont develop to Dats level.

This is ~almost~ insulting to Datsyuk. Hart finalist who happened to win the Selke last year.

Do you honestly believe the Filppula can become that level of player?

There's nothing wrong with Flip, but honestly, there's nothing to suggest he can emulate Datsyuk or his accomplishments.

Old
06-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Hudler is our future Datsyuk, he just needs to bulk up alot and work on his defense. Filpulla is our future.... I don't know but he will be our first line center in 4-5 years putting up 70+ points a year.
Nope, not him either. He just needs to work on his defense? He's nowhere close to Dats offensively, so let's not worry about the defense just yet.

How many points has Dats had in the past 2-3 yrs???

Old
06-05-2009, 11:29 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

Jesus H. Christ.
For one, Datsyuk is a pretty good damn skater himself.
So the slight edge Flip gets (and it's very slight, considering how easy it is to push Flip down) on skating is equal to the dangle difference?
Are you out of your mind?

Old
06-05-2009, 11:41 PM
ColdToiletSeats

we pay 500,000 for downey ! wtf damn i should of done steroids in high school i'd be in the nhl

Old
06-05-2009, 11:52 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdToiletSeats View Post
we pay 500,000 for downey ! wtf damn i should of done steroids in high school i'd be in the nhl
Downey probably only made $75,000-ish this year.
he was on a 2-way deal (not sure what his minor league salary was) and spent all but 7 days with Grand Rapids, so he only saw about 7/185ths of that $500,000 deal.

Old
06-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
Downey probably only made $75,000-ish this year.
he was on a 2-way deal (not sure what his minor league salary was) and spent all but 7 days with Grand Rapids, so he only saw about 7/185ths of that $500,000 deal.
What about his Black Ace status. He's technically a health scratch on the playoff roster, correct?

Old
06-06-2009, 12:24 AM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzenstien View Post
What about his Black Ace status. He's technically a health scratch on the playoff roster, correct?
yeah, but nobody earns a salary in the playoffs, so he's basically just on the guest list at the Joe.

Old
06-06-2009, 12:38 AM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Has anybody suggested that we sign Hossa, then trade him at the deadline for some 1rst round draft picks or prospects?

Old
06-06-2009, 01:00 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Has anybody suggested that we sign Hossa, then trade him at the deadline for some 1rst round draft picks or prospects?
Sign him, then trade him to Atlanta for Kovalchuk.

Old
06-06-2009, 03:25 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Flip is not a future Datsyuk. He doesn't have playmaker's hands.
I agree with not the future Datsyuk but doesn´t have playmaker´s hands? Seriously lay off the booze man!

Filppula is going to have a great career as a 2nd line center in the NHL for many years.

Old
06-06-2009, 05:16 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Sign him, then trade him to Atlanta for Kovalchuk.
I like this idea.

Old
06-06-2009, 08:25 AM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Nope, not him either. He just needs to work on his defense? He's nowhere close to Dats offensively, so let's not worry about the defense just yet.

How many points has Dats had in the past 2-3 yrs???
He needs to work on defense AND bulk up. Hes got to get along stronger and more physical which will make him better along the boards, better at hitting, etc... But I assume that will come with time. They both are a similar size with Datsyuk only 1 or 2 inches bigger. Datsyuk is a better dangler but Hudler is a better passer and Hudler has a better shot in my mind. But you don't see comparisions from young Datsyuk to Hudler?
Datsyuk 1st 3 seasons
70 11 24 35
64 12 39 51
75 30 38 68
Hudler 1st 3 seasons
76 15 10 25
81 13 29 42
82 23 34 57
Hes around ~10 points behind every season but Datsyuk is half a year older in each season.

Old
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
He needs to work on defense AND bulk up. Hes got to get along stronger and more physical which will make him better along the boards, better at hitting, etc... But I assume that will come with time. They both are a similar size with Datsyuk only 1 or 2 inches bigger. Datsyuk is a better dangler but Hudler is a better passer and Hudler has a better shot in my mind. But you don't see comparisions from young Datsyuk to Hudler?
Datsyuk 1st 3 seasons
70 11 24 35
64 12 39 51
75 30 38 68
Hudler 1st 3 seasons
76 15 10 25
81 13 29 42
82 23 34 57
Hes around ~10 points behind every season but Datsyuk is half a year older in each season.
The guy is a short 5'9'', there comes a point where bulking up simply isn't an option unless we're talking the Dunkin' Donuts variety of bulking up. And he doesn't have the wheels to be a Marty St. Louis/Steve Sullivan/Theoren Fleury type.

Old
06-06-2009, 09:44 AM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
The guy is a short 5'9'', there comes a point where bulking up simply isn't an option unless we're talking the Dunkin' Donuts variety of bulking up. And he doesn't have the wheels to be a Marty St. Louis/Steve Sullivan/Theoren Fleury type.
Whats the difference between Datsyuk/Zetterberg bulking and Hudler bulking up? They are all around the same size with Hudler being an inch shorter. He still has lots of bulking up he can do in the next year or 2.

Old
06-06-2009, 11:50 AM
solo16

Dats - Filpulla points by age in the NHL
22: x, 17
23: 35, 36
24: 51, 40 *(Brett Hull? doesn't = hudler) If he played with hossa all season hed easily hit this
25, 68, tbd (reach but possible)
26, 87, tbd
27, 78, tbd
28, 97, tbd
29, 97, tbd

I dont think its insulting Dats at all. Filp is a great player. He is a faster skater than Dats. I agree Dats is stronger on the puck but I have faith Filp will learn that with maturity/strengthening. Filps shot is almost identical to Datsyuks in his early years. I think their playmaking is comparable. Filp is very underrated in this regard. So it comes down to Filp being a similar player except you trade Dangle for Speed.

Not saying he WILL become Datsyuk. But its certainly possible. He has a long way to go including getting stronger on the puck, getting more confidence in his shot and hitting more.

That being said I will take a wait and see approach to filp.

Old
06-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Marky9er

I'd like to axe most of the blue line at this point.

Old
06-06-2009, 12:12 PM
VooX

Flip has greater potential than Hudlum. Oompa Loompa lacks the defence of Flip. And let's not get started about comparing Hudlum and Dats.

I love Hudlum, I do, but he will not have the impact Flip will. Hudlum has great passing and good speed. Flip has those things, plus solid two way play (a cornerstone on Wings teams) and is learning how to Dangle better. I wouldn't be surprised if he steps up his play like Pasha did and stun the NHL.

Old
06-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Dats - Filpulla points by age in the NHL
22: x, 17
23: 35, 36
24: 51, 40 *(Brett Hull? doesn't = hudler) If he played with hossa all season hed easily hit this
25, 68, tbd (reach but possible)
26, 87, tbd
27, 78, tbd
28, 97, tbd
29, 97, tbd

I dont think its insulting Dats at all. Filp is a great player. He is a faster skater than Dats. I agree Dats is stronger on the puck but I have faith Filp will learn that with maturity/strengthening. Filps shot is almost identical to Datsyuks in his early years. I think their playmaking is comparable. Filp is very underrated in this regard. So it comes down to Filp being a similar player except you trade Dangle for Speed.

Not saying he WILL become Datsyuk. But its certainly possible. He has a long way to go including getting stronger on the puck, getting more confidence in his shot and hitting more.

That being said I will take a wait and see approach to filp.
You're projecting Flip to be a nearly 100 pt/season guy. Heck, even Zetterberg hasn't gotten this high yet.

Dats has averaged 1.15 pts/game over the last four seasons (not per season, but over 4 seasons). Per season, it's between 1.12-1.19 pts/game.

Z has been about a 1 pt/game player.

Flip has two consecutive seasons now where he's been about 0.5 pts/gm. He'd have to double his production to get close to Z. Given more PP IT and some more minutes, and I can see him approaching .65/gm.... I honestly don't think he's got the upside of Hank and Datsyuk. Z had two years of 0.5pts/game then he doubled and stayed about there. Datsyuk's climb has been more significant, with increases every single year.

Flip is still a very good player nevertheless, but I'm not expecting him to morph in Dats. He doesn't have the on-ice vision or the "magic" which was apparent to everyone who watched him even in his very early years.

Edit: I'm happy with whoever coined the term that Flip is Zetterberg lite. (NN?)

Old
06-06-2009, 12:26 PM
solo16

Quote:
You're projecting Flip to be a nearly 100 pt/season guy. Heck, even Zetterberg hasn't gotten this high yet.

Dats has averaged 1.15 pts/game over the last four seasons (not per season, but over 4 seasons). Per season, it's between 1.12-1.19 pts/game.

Z has been about a 1 pt/game player.

Flip has two consecutive seasons now where he's been about 0.5 pts/gm. He'd have to double his production to get close to Z. Given more PP IT and some more minutes, and I can see him approaching .65/gm.... I honestly don't think he's got the upside of Hank and Datsyuk. Z had two years of 0.5pts/game then he doubled and stayed about there. Datsyuk's climb has been more significant, with increases every single year.

Flip is still a very good player nevertheless, but I'm not expecting him to morph in Dats. He doesn't have the on-ice vision or the "magic" which was apparent to everyone who watched him even in his very early years.

Edit: I'm happy with whoever coined the term that Flip is Zetterberg lite. (NN?)
Im not projecting anything. I said their is a possibility. I view prospects not so much in a projection sense but rather a chance sense. There is a chance he will reach x and a chance he will reach y and a chance he will digress.

Filps max potential is similar to Datsyuks. However he will have to be just as hard working/ lucky as Datsyuk was to develop and maximize his potential. Prospects have to make themselves better. I can project all day long but in the end its up to the player.

Old
06-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I'm not sure if we're disagreeing or if you're talking some hypothetical ceiling that applies to any top six forward?

It's okay to have different views on this, but I don't put Flip in the category of player that can reach Datsyuk's ceiling. Datsyuk is simply too special of a player, and I don't see Filppula as being in that top 3-5 forwards echelon in the NHL.

Old
06-06-2009, 12:56 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
I'm not sure if we're disagreeing or if you're talking some hypothetical ceiling that applies to any top six forward?

It's okay to have different views on this, but I don't put Flip in the category of player that can reach Datsyuk's ceiling. Datsyuk is simply too special of a player, and I don't see Filppula as being in that top 3-5 forwards echelon in the NHL.
Yes, but Flip is probably a 1st line player on most NHL teams. Except these 2 teams.

Old
06-06-2009, 01:15 PM
solo16

Quote:

Ya but when Datsyuk was 25 we barely thought it about him. That is my point I suppose. If we go back to 23/24 no one thought Datysuk would be a 3-5 forward in the NHL.

Generally though I agree with you. Filp is and will be a damn good second line center for his career. It would take a substantial jump for him to become a 1st line forward, similar to the one Datysuk made himself at this age.

Old
06-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Ya but when Datsyuk was 25 we barely thought it about him. That is my point I suppose. If we go back to 23/24 no one thought Datysuk would be a 3-5 forward in the NHL.

Generally though I agree with you. Filp is and will be a damn good second line center for his career. It would take a substantial jump for him to become a 1st line forward, similar to the one Datysuk made himself at this age.
Nah, I spotted him right away and was pretty impressed by his wizardry. Flip is solid, but I don't see the wizardry. You have to have something that's easily spotted that catapults you to that next level. I can't think of many elite NHL'ers that came completely out of the blue once they'd been in the league a couple of years (at a minimum). We know guys get overlooked as prospects, and that may be due to no one getting there. Even Dats was a bit of a lucky thing because the other scout going to see him missed his flight. It's not that their talent isn't spotted once a scout gets there, it's that the scouts don't know he exists....

Closed Thread