HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tor-clb

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2009, 01:19 AM
  #1
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Tor-clb

To TOR: Nikita Filatov, LW

To CLB: TOR 2009 1st round pick, Anton Stralman, D and one of Matt Stajan, C or Alexei Ponikarovsky, LW

Reasoning: Leafs receive a sure thing in Nikita Filatov to help jump start the offense, and more importantly the franchise. Columbus receives the 7th overall pick in this year's draft which could be one of Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn or Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson if Phoenix opts to go with a defenseman at 6. Also, Columbus gets a quality top six forward in Stajan or Poni, while also helping their power play with a right handed shot in Stralman. All of Stajan, Poni, and Stralman are relatively young and cheap and can contribute to the team immediately and down the road.

Might be the time of day that makes my thinking so ill-advised, but what are your thoughts on this trade. Don't take this too seriously I'm probably stuck in either NHL 09 or fantasy league mode, and it's my first trade proposal and I know how people hate Leaf trades. What would the Leafs have to add other than Schenn for Jackets fans to even consider this?


Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 05-23-2009 at 01:29 AM.
The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 01:32 AM
  #2
HabsInsideOut
Registered User
 
HabsInsideOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 500
I think top blue chip prospects need to be going the other way for Columbus to agree to this. And Brayden Schenn or MSP...etc arent the kind of prospects that will get you Filatov. And I don't think utility players like Stralman and Stajan will make up the difference for a potential star, but hey just an opinion.

HabsInsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 01:36 AM
  #3
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsideOut View Post
I think top blue chip prospects need to be going the other way for Columbus to agree to this. And Brayden Schenn or MSP...etc arent the kind of prospects that will get you Filatov. And I don't think utility players like Stralman and Stajan will make up the difference for a potential star, but hey just an opinion.
Haha yeah, I definitely see your point. I just wanted to get a feel for what people thought. I definitely see the Leafs needing to add more, but as pointed out in other threads, the Leafs don't have much to offer in return. Would adding Tlusty to the trade help in any way? However, I can see Stralman being more than a utility player though, and could really blossom on a team that needs more offense from the back end.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 01:53 AM
  #4
HabsInsideOut
Registered User
 
HabsInsideOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swamp View Post
Haha yeah, I definitely see your point. I just wanted to get a feel for what people thought. I definitely see the Leafs needing to add more, but as pointed out in other threads, the Leafs don't have much to offer in return. Would adding Tlusty to the trade help in any way? However, I can see Stralman being more than a utility player though, and could really blossom on a team that needs more offense from the back end.
Unfortunatly for anyone that wants Filatov, because of the lofty expectations placed on him, its gonna take an overpayment. And I agree with you that the Leafs just don't have enough assets for him. Perhaps Columbus would consider Luke Schenn in a trade because with the influx of forwards they might need some D. But I guess Toronto chose Schenn before Filatov for a reason. Theres no way a deal could go down.

HabsInsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 01:59 AM
  #5
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,051
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
oh god...

no, i'd rather keep my leafs thank you... i like what i saw in stralman the little bit last year, and i'd love to keep stajan who works and works and works and is learning that he can score too...

no adding, they can keep filatov and roll the dice with zherdev V.2

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 05:55 AM
  #6
The Magic Man
With God given hands
 
The Magic Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
oh god...

no, i'd rather keep my leafs thank you... i like what i saw in stralman the little bit last year, and i'd love to keep stajan who works and works and works and is learning that he can score too...

no adding, they can keep filatov and roll the dice with zherdev V.2
agreed. I'm not paying that price for a guy who's played a handful of games. He's not much more proven then a player available at 7 this year. I think Filitov is gonna be a great top liner, maybe 40g guy, but I think #7 this year could be anywhere from slightly lesser player to better.

The Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 06:46 AM
  #7
Monstar50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swamp View Post
To TOR: Nikita Filatov, LW

To CLB: TOR 2009 1st round pick, Anton Stralman, D and one of Matt Stajan, C or Alexei Ponikarovsky, LW

Reasoning: Leafs receive a sure thing in Nikita Filatov to help jump start the offense, and more importantly the franchise. Columbus receives the 7th overall pick in this year's draft which could be one of Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn or Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson if Phoenix opts to go with a defenseman at 6. Also, Columbus gets a quality top six forward in Stajan or Poni, while also helping their power play with a right handed shot in Stralman. All of Stajan, Poni, and Stralman are relatively young and cheap and can contribute to the team immediately and down the road.

Might be the time of day that makes my thinking so ill-advised, but what are your thoughts on this trade. Don't take this too seriously I'm probably stuck in either NHL 09 or fantasy league mode, and it's my first trade proposal and I know how people hate Leaf trades. What would the Leafs have to add other than Schenn for Jackets fans to even consider this?
How is he a "Sure Thing"?

Monstar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 07:31 AM
  #8
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Why would either team do this? Why would Toronto deal away extra assets for a prospect that probably isn't any better than the range the Leafs will be picking in this year? Above all, why would Burke deal for Nikita Filatov, of all people?

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 07:39 AM
  #9
Stassino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, On
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsideOut View Post
I think top blue chip prospects need to be going the other way for Columbus to agree to this. And Brayden Schenn or MSP...etc arent the kind of prospects that will get you Filatov. And I don't think utility players like Stralman and Stajan will make up the difference for a potential star, but hey just an opinion.
MSP is as good if not a better sure thing then Nikita Filitov.. Much much better in all aspects of play.. and bigger and stronger..

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 07:42 AM
  #10
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,435
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Columbus finally makes the playoffs and their young core is finally starting to mature. I'm expecting them to make huge strides next season with all the young talent they have. Why would they strip down from Filatov now?

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:28 AM
  #11
re5piration
'67 til
 
re5piration's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsideOut View Post
I think top blue chip prospects need to be going the other way for Columbus to agree to this. And Brayden Schenn or MSP...etc arent the kind of prospects that will get you Filatov. And I don't think utility players like Stralman and Stajan will make up the difference for a potential star, but hey just an opinion.
Really? You really think Filatov is that much better than MSP? Personally, I think MSP edges out Filatov because of his skillset and strength.

Therefore, if Burke is targetting MSP, I think we keep our 1st rounder +Stajan/Stralman/Ponikarovsky.

It's a good proposal though

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:13 AM
  #12
drofnats
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
I don't think it's a bad deal, but not one I would make. I think Filatov is going to be great, but I see Kane/MPS/Schenn as being just as good or just a step behind (depends on who we're talking about). Either way, not enough of a talent difference to give up cheap, young players like Stralman + Stajan/Poni in this new cap environment.

drofnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 11:24 AM
  #13
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
oh god...

no, i'd rather keep my leafs thank you... i like what i saw in stralman the little bit last year, and i'd love to keep stajan who works and works and works and is learning that he can score too...

no adding, they can keep filatov and roll the dice with zherdev V.2
Tell me how Filatov is Zherdev V.2, I think you're solely basing this on the fact that he's Russian. If you've watched ANY of his hockey in your life, you'd know that Filatov loves the game and has heart. He does not take shifts off or go into the motions during games. He has all the talent Zherdev has, but has the guts to block shots, back check, and go into the high traffic areas to get the puck. You'd rather keep a Leaf in Stajan who is clearly overachieving and is on his way back down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
agreed. I'm not paying that price for a guy who's played a handful of games. He's not much more proven then a player available at 7 this year. I think Filitov is gonna be a great top liner, maybe 40g guy, but I think #7 this year could be anywhere from slightly lesser player to better.
MPS is not much better in all aspects of his game...He needs a lot of improvement on his defensive game, and is not stronger. Where is everyone getting the idea that MPS is a strong player? He isn't one that plays a physical style, nor does he consistently go into the high traffic areas to make a play. Don't get me wrong, he will be a great player but I doubt he falls to 7th. You are, however, right that at 7th overall the Leafs will be selecting a player not too far away from Filatov's skill set. I'd give Filatov the edge over any of them because he's more NHL ready to play in the league after accumulating some AHL experience as well as scoring 4 goals in 8 games with Columbus this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafYourLife View Post
Really? You really think Filatov is that much better than MSP? Personally, I think MSP edges out Filatov because of his skillset and strength.

Therefore, if Burke is targetting MSP, I think we keep our 1st rounder +Stajan/Stralman/Ponikarovsky.

It's a good proposal though
Thanks for the comment on the proposal. I didn't think it was too far fetched in terms of a proposal; I was really trying to not overvalue Leaf players as most deals do. However, as LEIFey stated, the Leafs and Jackets do not make ideal trading partners in terms of prospects. Columbus is finally in the playoff picture and Filatov will be a huge part of their future; I was just really interested to see how people felt towards what I thought it would take to get him. I say Filatov is more of a sure thing than any of the prospects available this year based on the fact of experience and the ability to score at all the various pro levels. However, MPS is also NHL ready from his experience in Elitserien, so if he were available at 7 I would definitely want Burke to select him, but I doubt that he drops that low.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 11:26 AM
  #14
Whaley Klesla 97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Why would either team do this? Why would Toronto deal away extra assets for a prospect that probably isn't any better than the range the Leafs will be picking in this year? Above all, why would Burke deal for Nikita Filatov, of all people?
We are talking about THN's number one rated prospect in all of hockey. He is going to be a big thing, and there is no way the Blue Jackets will trade him.

Whaley Klesla 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 11:38 AM
  #15
sgupca
Registered User
 
sgupca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swamp View Post
To TOR: Nikita Filatov, LW

To CLB: TOR 2009 1st round pick, Anton Stralman, D and one of Matt Stajan, C or Alexei Ponikarovsky, LW

Reasoning: Leafs receive a sure thing in Nikita Filatov to help jump start the offense, and more importantly the franchise. Columbus receives the 7th overall pick in this year's draft which could be one of Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn or Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson if Phoenix opts to go with a defenseman at 6. Also, Columbus gets a quality top six forward in Stajan or Poni, while also helping their power play with a right handed shot in Stralman. All of Stajan, Poni, and Stralman are relatively young and cheap and can contribute to the team immediately and down the road.

Might be the time of day that makes my thinking so ill-advised, but what are your thoughts on this trade. Don't take this too seriously I'm probably stuck in either NHL 09 or fantasy league mode, and it's my first trade proposal and I know how people hate Leaf trades. What would the Leafs have to add other than Schenn for Jackets fans to even consider this?
Why on Earth would do the leafs do that.

Heck, trade up to 5th and Draft MPS

MPS = Filatov IMO

MPS is also bigger, stronger, and faster.

I'll keep the pick, and that package of players.

thanks

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 11:46 AM
  #16
embracedbias
Registered User
 
embracedbias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Mentioning Filatov in a trade proposal is heresy. How dare you broach the name of He Who Shall Not Be Mentioned!





I'm just kidding of course, but seriously, I doubt either team does this.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 11:53 AM
  #17
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaley Klesla 97 View Post
We are talking about THN's number one rated prospect in all of hockey. He is going to be a big thing, and there is no way the Blue Jackets will trade him.
I did say that Columbus wouldn't do the deal. It's safe to say that Toronto would also say no though, especially since Burke can draft a player more in keeping with his preferred style of hockey - like Schenn or Kane. The fact that Stralman is thrown in makes it even more of a non-starter from my perspective.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 12:22 PM
  #18
Regin 43*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
MSP is as good if not a better sure thing then Nikita Filitov.. Much much better in all aspects of play.. and bigger and stronger..

No way is MSP better then Filatov at goal scoring.

But yeah I don't think I do this team as either team. Filatov has hgh expectations there and is expected to possibly be a face of the franchise. While MSP is more unknown but has the potential to be as good has him.

IMO MSP is the 4th best available player in the draft (Behind Hedman, Duchene/Tavares).

And of course Taylor Hall will be better then any of them.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 12:57 PM
  #19
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,660
vCash: 50
No way in hell the Leafs touch this.

Great prospect

for

Good prosect + #7 overall (in a deep draft as everyone tells Leaf fans when they try to acquire a pick) + 50 point, young roster player/under 30 20-goal scorer.

Leafs get ***** and pillaged here.

EDIT: The fact that you think the Leafs have to add is hilarious.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:29 PM
  #20
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
No way in hell the Leafs touch this.

Great prospect

for

Good prosect + #7 overall (in a deep draft as everyone tells Leaf fans when they try to acquire a pick) + 50 point, young roster player/under 30 20-goal scorer.

Leafs get ***** and pillaged here.

EDIT: The fact that you think the Leafs have to add is hilarious.
The fact you think Stajan is worth a lot in this league is hilarious. The Leafs would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him, and the only reason they would is because of his age and the production from one season. He'll be back on his way down into the 40 point range. He's best suited for a third line role, and spot duty for a top six forward role. You're overvaluing Stralman, his value has gone down considerably. I would take Filatov over Brayden Schenn any day, and he's the one likely to be there at 7th overall (not that I have anything against Schenn because he's a great player and what most Leaf fans want). The fact you think there's not too far of a difference between Filatov and Stralman is the only real funny thing here; try amazing prospect, and the man who was rated as THN's number 1 prospect in the league.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:41 PM
  #21
suprvilce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swamp View Post
The fact you think Stajan is worth a lot in this league is hilarious. The Leafs would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him, and the only reason they would is because of his age and the production from one season. He'll be back on his way down into the 40 point range. He's best suited for a third line role, and spot duty for a top six forward role. You're overvaluing Stralman, his value has gone down considerably. I would take Filatov over Brayden Schenn any day, and he's the one likely to be there at 7th overall (not that I have anything against Schenn because he's a great player and what most Leaf fans want). The fact you think there's not too far of a difference between Filatov and Stralman is the only real funny thing here; try amazing prospect, and the man who was rated as THN's number 1 prospect in the league.
Noone said that, except you. I wouldn't do it because at #7 we can get Cowen or Schenn (no way MSP lasts that long), who are both blue chip prospects; Stralman - while he hasn't secured a spot really, he has very high potencial and i'd hate to see him develop in a top pairing defenceman on another team. Though i agree about Stajan value.Stralman (and also Tlusty) both have more value for Leafs than other teams.

suprvilce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:45 PM
  #22
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
Noone said that, except you. I wouldn't do it because at #7 we can get Cowen or Schenn (no way MSP lasts that long), who are both blue chip prospects; Stralman - while he hasn't secured a spot really, he has very high potencial and i'd hate to see him develop in a top pairing defenceman on another team. Though i agree about Stajan value.Stralman (and also Tlusty) both have more value for Leafs than other teams.
I don't see a huge difference between good and great. Filatov is leaps and bounds ahead of Stralman and has a much higher ceiling. Top prospect in the show would have been more appropriate than great. But now I'm just being an a** about the definition of words. I just see a great prospect as someone like Thomas Hickey, not a top prospect like Filatov who is truly something special.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:54 PM
  #23
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swamp View Post
I just see a great prospect as someone like Thomas Hickey, not a top prospect like Filatov who is truly something special.
Honestly, if we're talking Jackets prospects, I like Voracek better. Filatov's good, but I'm not as sold on him at this point.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:01 PM
  #24
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Honestly, if we're talking Jackets prospects, I like Voracek better. Filatov's good, but I'm not as sold on him at this point.
That's definitely a fair statement because Voracek has had more experience and actually played a full regular season with the team. He also got his first taste of the playoffs, which will go a long way in his development.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:37 PM
  #25
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,660
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swamp View Post
The fact you think Stajan is worth a lot in this league is hilarious. The Leafs would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him, and the only reason they would is because of his age and the production from one season. He'll be back on his way down into the 40 point range.
I never said anything about Stajan's value actually, but the facts are there. He is a 25 year old, 55 point scorer. Obviously he got some extra time playing on a weak forward core on the Leafs, but he definitely has value.


Quote:
You're overvaluing Stralman, his value has gone down considerably.
Why? A year in the AHL makes his status lower than...how did I put it.."good prospect"?

Quote:
I would take Filatov over Brayden Schenn any day, and he's the one likely to be there at 7th overall (not that I have anything against Schenn because he's a great player and what most Leaf fans want).
Thats cool, but then add in a roster player (55points or 20 goal player) and a good prospect.

Quote:
The fact you think there's not too far of a difference between Filatov and Stralman is the only real funny thing here; try amazing prospect, and the man who was rated as THN's number 1 prospect in the league.
You just made that up out of thin air, which is funnier yet. Arguing semantics between "great" and "amazing" is pointless.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.