HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Draft Talk.Live From Montreal Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
The Habs have had good luck with the USHS kids, Higgins, Komisarek, Pacioretty, plus McDonagh could be in the nhl a year or so from now with Fischer not too far behind him. Plus I could see Stejskal perhaps getting there as well, and others like Conboy, Kristo hopefully make it as well. So it appears the Habs US scouts have a good eye for talent, so I have no problem if that continues at this draft.
Sure the Habs have had success with these US guys but Kreider's draft situation is different than most of these Habs picks you allude to.

Higgins and Komisarek played NCAA Division I during their draft years. Pacioretty and Conboy played USHL. Kristo played for US Developmental Under 18 program. McDonagh played very well in World Under-18 Tournament just before being drafted in the 1st round. Stejskal was a later round pick.

Most of these guys were at least tested against high calibre competition than Kreider...played high school and didn't play in World Under-18 tourney. The only one who's comparable is Fischer.

Old
05-24-2009, 06:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Sure the Habs have had success with these US guys but Kreider's draft situation is different than most of these Habs picks you allude to.

Higgins and Komisarek played NCAA Division I during their draft years. Pacioretty and Conboy played USHL. Kristo played for US Developmental Under 18 program. McDonagh played very well in World Under-18 Tournament just before being drafted in the 1st round. Stejskal was a later round pick.

Most of these guys were at least tested against high calibre competition than Kreider...played high school and didn't play in World Under-18 tourney. The only one who's comparable is Fischer.
But every single one of them played in the USHS at one point.

Old
05-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If people are really interested in watching Leblanc play before they have an opinion on him.....just click on this link and watch it. Click on the hockey tab, and then look for the USHL tab.

www.b2cabletv.com

Problem is that the schedule that is provided seems to not be right at all. So click on the link and check it once in a while. You will have an Omaha game at one point. Leblanc wears #17. If I happen to check when he's playing, I'll let you guys know and probably create a thread for it. I mean there's so many talks about Leblanc while most people haven't seen him 1 game. It might be interesting to at least see him.

Edit: Seems to me that the schedule is 1 game late. It says that that at 5:10PM it should be Indiana vs Cedar while at the NOW PLAYING, it's the Sioux Falls vs Lincoln game that just started. So if it stays that way, if they don't fix the schedule, the next Omaha games, at a nice time, is schedule to be this coming Friday around 9PM 'cause the rest of the broadcasts are either in the middle of the night, or in the mornings during the week. There is Tuesday where the game should be aired around 5PM if you are at home or can catch the game. Note though that all the Omaha games that you see on the schedule are the same game that was played April 12th.
You do know that the times are in CsT right? I'll look it up, but last time I checked, the schedule was right.

Old
05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
You do know that the times are in CsT right? I'll look it up, but last time I checked, the schedule was right.
I know. But the last times I checked, when it was saying Playing now, it wasn't the right teams. And even at the CST time, it didn't correspond most of the time.

But I'm looking right now, but it does seem right now. I think they corrected it 'cause today it wasn't right.

Old
05-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
I know. But the last times I checked, when it was saying Playing now, it wasn't the right teams. And even at the CST time, it didn't correspond most of the time.

But I'm looking right now, but it does seem right now. I think they corrected it 'cause today it wasn't right.
Quite possible. I hope they post new games, stupid replays.

Old
05-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Fozz

Quote:
So you don't think it's a bit much to say he might change the future of the Habs? I mean reading prospect reports is pointless since so many make players sound like they are going to be great. Not saying he will or won't but I find it hard to form a strong opinion off reading things.
Which begs the question: why do you like to write about the players you see so much? If we can't see a player, how else are we suppose to get info on them but to read the opinions of others that have seen them play (especially live)?

Old
05-24-2009, 08:01 PM
mtl_felix

I have not read much of part 1 and part 2 of this thread so excuse this post if it has been answered already..

What do you guys think of Toni Rajala? I think he is ranked about 20th overall unless i'm mistaken.

Old
05-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
But every single one of them played in the USHS at one point.
They certainly did. However, Habs scouts were able to get a better read on most of those other guys because they played against tougher competition during their draft year than Kreider has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
I have not read much of part 1 and part 2 of this thread so excuse this post if it has been answered already..

What do you guys think of Toni Rajala? I think he is ranked about 20th overall unless i'm mistaken.
Rajala's very talented but he's small and he's soft. At the WJC he was scared of his own shadow....stays away from corners and traffic areas....total perimeter player. He exploded at the WU18 and lit the tournament up in Finland's bronze medal quest. Still, I don't want such a small softie.

Old
05-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Riggins

John Moore or Louis Leblanc. If either is available we will pick him. Don't quote me on this. haha

Old
05-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Which begs the question: why do you like to write about the players you see so much? If we can't see a player, how else are we suppose to get info on them but to read the opinions of others that have seen them play (especially live)?
I think it adds dimension. You have access to all the reports and articles to get a picture of a player, and other reports of viewings continue to help shape the picture.

For instance, just reading the reports and articles about his grit and tenacity and work ethic and what have you, you'd think Leblanc was a reckless, frenetic player, but then you have other people who say he didn't really initiate much contact when they saw him, which leads me to believe it's an issue over semantics. I've never seen them play (well, I saw the Pocket Rocket play in an old timer's game, but that doesn't count), but I don't think Dave Keon or Henri Richard went around destroying people with checks, but their heart and grit is legendary. I'm thinking Leblanc is probably similar in that he has a more subtle type of grit that you don't necessarily see/appreciate in a viewing or two, especially on TV--the type of grit where you just can't break him and he never stops working towards his goals, as opposed to the type of grit where you're more actively trying to break the opposition (maybe think a Crosby vs Ovechkin kind of grit or the immovable object vs the irresistible force).

Or maybe I'm off completely. I won't know until I get to see him play myself numerous times (which is the only way to get an accurate view of a player, which is what I think Montreal is talking about), but the more reports you hear/read, the better your understanding of the player. I don't think any report is going to be completely spot on with your own view when you see the player yourself, but the more views you can basically synthesize, the more accurate the picture is probably going to be. If many people have seen Leblanc and haven't seen him initiate much contact, maybe you can read his apparent grit in a different way to get a better picture of him. But you'll never really know until you see the picture yourself.

Old
05-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
John Moore or Louis Leblanc. If either is available we will pick him. Don't quote me on this. haha
You are totally right about Moore. Clearly, most definately the type of player that Timmins drools over. The new breed of d-men. A great skater.

Old
05-25-2009, 09:10 AM
TinordiandSubban

I want them both. Trade up for Moore, LeBlanc drops to us at 18th.
Everybody's happy!

InBobwetrust

Old
05-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I'd rather see the Habs draft a forward this year (in Round 1), I think we're missing a good forward prospect.

We've got Price in nets, and guys like McDonagh, Subban, Weber, etc. on the back-end, but who do we have at forward? Maxwell? White? Trunev?

Old
05-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post
I want them both. Trade up for Moore, LeBlanc drops to us at 18th.
Everybody's happy!

InBobwetrust
So trade up for Moore, and draft Leblanc at 18th overall? Something is not right

Old
05-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
So trade up for Moore, and draft Leblanc at 18th overall? Something is not right
The NHL GMs have all decided that Montreal should get the player of their choice and the best player from Québec.

Old
05-25-2009, 12:03 PM
TinordiandSubban

Moore will be picked just outside the Top 10. He's the best skater available and defenders win the tie over forwards for most organizations.

In THN Draft Preview he had a unique projection: Mobile Defenceman.
Nobody else got that, it was either offensive defenceman or defensive defenceman.

For more on the value of mobile D see Blackhawks, Chicago.

That's why we have to trade up to get him.

InBobwetrust

Old
05-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I know it won't be a popular route, but I will make a prediction that I will repeat if it happens (and don't mention if it doesn't....) but Sergei Andronov will become a great player. Needs to bulk up. That's it. Everything else in his game is not only great but is mature already. Defensive play, well maybe a little. But just a little. He's aware in both zones. Honestly, I was blown away with his Worlds performance. And not only statswise but with his overall game. Name it. He has it. Speed, hockey sense, hands, etc...

If Andronov falls down to the 3rd round 'cause of his origin, we need to grab him. I believe he'll go in the 2nd though.

Not criticizing the choice we made.....but geez is this famous 2nd rounder would have been needed in this year's draft.

Old
05-25-2009, 12:55 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Zack Kassian please! this guy is a monster, 6"3, 205 lbs, he competes hard, he has a scoring touch, he goes into the corners, and he hits hard, many are throwing Lucic's name around when talking about this kid. I hate Lucic, but i'd take him on our team in a second, we need a player like him sooo this would be our best shot right here. We need some size up front and this would be the guy who could help us out. Not to mention he is a Peterborough Pete, Mr. Gainey is very fond of players from there. If he is available at 18th overall or whatever we have, I'd go after him in a second, observers are saying he could go sooner, soo if we have to trade up, I would go for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSuzenUtyxU

Old
05-25-2009, 12:58 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Looking at the rankings, I definitely want the Habs to try to pick up Zach Budish, who is ranked 44th by TNH and 55th by ISS. I really think this guy is 1st Round talent, who missed the majority of the season with injury.

He's a center/winger who is already around 6'4, 225lbs. Exactly the kind of guy I think this team needs.

His knock is his skating, but he's a smart player who works hard.

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index....ects&Itemid=39

Old
05-25-2009, 01:07 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Yah I like Budish as well, football injury kept him out of pretty much all of this season but he is going to a strong hockey program next year at the U of Minnesota so I think this guy will be a gamer.

Old
05-25-2009, 02:27 PM
DaHabMan

i think budish is gonna be available in the second round, we should take a sure bet in the first round and maybe makes some trades to try an get a second rounder and draft budish there. We're pretty low on centers and we need a good one to make it.

Old
05-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
i think budish is gonna be available in the second round, we should take a sure bet in the first round and maybe makes some trades to try an get a second rounder and draft budish there. We're pretty low on centers and we need a good one to make it.
To make it? If your goal is to make it, then we'd be better off getting a center via trade of free agency, because Budish probably won't have much of an impact for at least 5 years.

Old
05-25-2009, 05:15 PM
DaHabMan

but budish is a risk where he could bust because of his injury, we draft him in the first round and wait 5 years but he busts then we're in more trouble than we are now but if we draft someone who is more of a sure thing to make the team down the line( you guys have been saying someone like shore, holland, werek, leblanc, ferraro) than we're better off. I just dont want to take a big risk with our first round pick. Risk will be involved no matter who we take but its gonna be higher with budish imo. If we get a second rounder and we draft him there than i have no problem with that. If he makes it then good, we will have 2 centers making the team but if he doesnt, well since he was drafted in the second and its not as bad. I dont know if you get what im saying but with our depth i believe we are in no position to make very risky picks in the first. In the second round, well thats another thing.

Old
05-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I will have a top 5 for our pick in the first round.....but I'm tempted more and more to trade down this pick in order to get 2 in the first 60 picks.

The teams that we should talk to:

Islanders: They have the Sharks pick that is #26 and they have their own 31st and Leafs 37th. There has to be a deal we could do here to get 2 of those 3 picks while the Isles would go at #18.

Canes: Our 18th pick for their 27th and 51st.

Or any other team behind us that would be willing to give us their 1st rounder and 2nd rounder for our pick.

Seems that the Isles is the most likely candidate though. 'Cause even with the fact that they are giving us 2 picks, they'll still have 2 more in 2nd round in addition with their 1st and our 18th. Isles have 6 freakin picks amongst the first 62 picks!!!!

I know I keep saying it's time for quality but not for quantity but I'll tell you that even with the 26th and let's say the 37th, quality will still be there. Let's go Bob, talk to Garth!

Old
05-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
I will have a top 5 for our pick in the first round.....but I'm tempted more and more to trade down this pick in order to get 2 in the first 60 picks.

The teams that we should talk to:

Islanders: They have the Sharks pick that is #26 and they have their own 31st and Leafs 37th. There has to be a deal we could do here to get 2 of those 3 picks while the Isles would go at #18.

Canes: Our 18th pick for their 27th and 51st.

Or any other team behind us that would be willing to give us their 1st rounder and 2nd rounder for our pick.

Seems that the Isles is the most likely candidate though. 'Cause even with the fact that they are giving us 2 picks, they'll still have 2 more in 2nd round in addition with their 1st and our 18th. Isles have 6 freakin picks amongst the first 62 picks!!!!

I know I keep saying it's time for quality but not for quantity but I'll tell you that even with the 26th and let's say the 37th, quality will still be there. Let's go Bob, talk to Garth!
I agree 100% with Whitesnake. This is a year where two top 37 picks would be great. However, if there is somebody still on the board at #18 that Habs scouts are drooling for....they probably shouldn't pass him up. I'm thinking like Parise, Getzlaf, or Richards type quality from 2003.

Closed Thread