HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

zubrus

Old
05-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

vCash: 500
zubrus

packaging him with a 2nd or 3rd rounder to move up in the draft any takers?

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:04 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils13 View Post
No.... close thread

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:07 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Would you move down in the draft to acquire Zubrus?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:09 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Would you move down in the draft to acquire Zubrus?
I'd give up a 1st and a bluechip prospect

Old
05-23-2009, 04:10 PM
shadow1

Holy ****, Zubrus is signed into 2013? Dear god. I wouldn't even trade Clark AND Tucker for him.

shadow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Zubrus is a good player, just overpaid by $1M or so. He's versatile, and can fill in at any position on any line. He's also a very good defensive player. For these reasons New Jersey should just swallow the extra cap hit because he's a fairly valuable player who will never get equal value in return.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:10 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Zubrus is a good player, just overpaid by $1M or so. He's versatile, and can fill in at any position on any line. He's also a very good defensive player. For these reasons New Jersey should just swallow the extra cap hit because he's a fairly valuable player who will never get equal value in return.
Unfortunatly, those kinds of players are a dime a dozen and aren't being paid 3.4M$ for the next 4 years.

Old
05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

We might give you Nylander, straight up.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:30 PM
boredmale

I am guessing the Devils might be able to get a 3rd or 4th round draft pick at best. worst case scenerio somebody probably would pick him up on waivers if they really wanted to get rid of his contract.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Unfortunatly, those kinds of players are a dime a dozen and aren't being paid 3.4M$ for the next 4 years.
Players who are versatile enough to play on lines 1-4 at any position while putting up 40 points and a good defensive game are not dime a dozen.

Personally I do not have a problem with Zubrus or his contract. He's overpaid by $1M. That $1M does not hamstring New Jersey in any real way.

Why are fans so short-sighted. Midway through the season Zubrus was on pace for 65 points and playing great. Now everyone wants his head. Just accept the fact that he's a good versatile player who's slightly overpaid.

Jay Pandolfo and Brian Rolston are much bigger problems given their contracts.

Old
05-23-2009, 10:13 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Players who are versatile enough to play on lines 1-4 at any position while putting up 40 points and a good defensive game are not dime a dozen.

Personally I do not have a problem with Zubrus or his contract. He's overpaid by $1M. That $1M does not hamstring New Jersey in any real way.

Why are fans so short-sighted. Midway through the season Zubrus was on pace for 65 points and playing great. Now everyone wants his head. Just accept the fact that he's a good versatile player who's slightly overpaid.

He's overpaid, but like you said, right now it's so big of a deal that it is a major issue.

That said, that is as a guy about to turn 31. How is he going to be in 2-3 years? I could see the contract become an even greater problem then than it is now.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:23 PM
devs4L

Quote:

That could be the exact description of one Sergei Brylin, whom I would say had a rather lengthy stay in Jersey. Players of this ilk have always been especially important under Lou's reign.

The hate on Zubrus does get a little ridiculous at times. I guess maybe because the expectations were a little high when he came here, being that we've craved that big, gritty, center to play with Elias since Arnott was traded. Is Zubrus overpaid? Yes. But I totally agree that it's not by so much that he's drowning the team. You'd think he's Mike Rupp getting paid 3.4mil per year or something. You can rest assured that if Zubrus was a UFA again this year he'd still get at least 2.5-2.75 mil.

Zubrus is a very valueable piece to a team IF USED RIGHT. He's a great skater, uses his size well, gritty, very solid defensively, has great work ethic, solid faceoff man, can play anywhere in a lot of situations, and will get you 40-50 points. I have no problem with him being on the devils, in the right role.

devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:40 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
lmao, I think a more probable trade would be trading Z to move DOWN the draft, not up.

Last edited by MeowLeafs: 05-23-2009 at 10:54 PM.
MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:55 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Please tell me when Zubrus was on pace for 65 points. Oh that's right, never. But let's say he was on pace for this magical 65 points, you do know that works against you anyways right, and not in your favor. For if midway through the season he was on pace for 65, that just means he was playing beyond absolute horrible for the second half considering he finished with 40.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to return some videotapes.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 03:53 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Please tell me when Zubrus was on pace for 65 points. Oh that's right, never. But let's say he was on pace for this magical 65 points, you do know that works against you anyways right, and not in your favor. For if midway through the season he was on pace for 65, that just means he was playing beyond absolute horrible for the second half considering he finished with 40.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to return some videotapes.
Through January 13th Zubrus had 28 points in 43 games, good for about a 53-54 point pace, so perhaps I remembered incorrectly. But still he was doing pretty well.

I'm not making Zubrus out to be an offensive dynamo. And I acknowledge he had a horrible end to the season. My point was that people have a tendency to turn on players so quickly. Few have the ability to take a step back and recognize a player for what he is, rather they let their last visible impression of him fester in their minds.

Old
05-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Through January 13th Zubrus had 28 points in 43 games, good for about a 53-54 point pace, so perhaps I remembered incorrectly. But still he was doing pretty well.

I'm not making Zubrus out to be an offensive dynamo. And I acknowledge he had a horrible end to the season. My point was that people have a tendency to turn on players so quickly. Few have the ability to take a step back and recognize a player for what he is, rather they let their last visible impression of him fester in their minds.
Zubrus' pace fell off when Elias' stopped producing as much as he had at the beginning of the season. There's a direct correlation between the two.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I am a Sabres fan and can still remember when Zubrus was with us for a short time in 2006-2007. He was gritty, had great size, and had a nice wrist shot. I still remember that snipe on Brodeur. A lot of people in Buffalo miss having him here. He isn't as bad as some may think. Sure the contract is a little much. But look at Pandolfo. He surely has to be affecting the Devils' cap issues more doesn't he?

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote