HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

David Gilbert

Old
05-23-2009, 05:02 PM
billranford30

vCash: 500
David Gilbert

Every scouting report I've read on David Gilbert (a) ranks him as a second-round prospect, and (b) rips apart his work ethic and consistency.

He's labeled a "skill player," and had 11 goals this year.

Can anybody who has actually seen him play offer any insight/firsthand opinions on him? I've never seen him play, and I've never read anything that justifies a second-round ranking.

Thanks in advance.

billranford30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billranford30 View Post
Every scouting report I've read on David Gilbert (a) ranks him as a second-round prospect, and (b) rips apart his work ethic and consistency.

He's labeled a "skill player," and had 11 goals this year.

Can anybody who has actually seen him play offer any insight/firsthand opinions on him? I've never seen him play, and I've never read anything that justifies a second-round ranking.

Thanks in advance.
David Gilbert is ranked #74 on Central Scouting's Final rankings for NA skaters.. Once you factor in the Euro Skaters and some Goalies which are kept on their own list by CSS to have a combined list that would push Gilbert to likely 100 which makes him a 4th round pick.

What you have heard is exactly what the problem is .. He teases you with his skill set but lacks any kind of motivation to bring it consistently to the games. If someone could figure out how to lite a fire under this guy he could be a good player. In fact ISS had him in their TOP 30 when the season began they thought that highly of his raw talent.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 06:34 PM
NSi

I've only seen him once live this season, so take it for what it's worth.

During this game, there were about four to six times on the ice where you would say: Damn, that was great (mostly on accelerations to beat guys flat out to the puck).

BUT, he was never a threat close to the goalie and seemed like a perimeter player. Didn't see him involved in the defensive zone.

When I read on him, I've seen the same knocks on his will to play every night (or every shift for that matter).

One thing to keep in mind is that we're talking about a 17-18 year old kid who looks like he has a long way to mature. Can he do it? Your guess is as good as anyone's.

Does he have a special talent and is he worth a shot in the 3rd|4th? I'd say yes if a team has multiple picks in that range and/or wants to go for a boom or bust prospect.

NSi is offline   Reply With Quote