HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Sign Mikael Johansson (Update: Rumour of him Returning to Sweden)

Old
05-24-2009, 09:05 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Did North America run out of midgets? We have started shipping them from Europe now?
It's a no-risk adventure. And people still complain, lmao.
If he got signed by someone else and did well, you'd be first in line to say how we never make an effort to sign undrafted prospects.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Ross MacLochness

What's this organization's obsession with midget weakling centermen?

I mean you're allowed to have dudes with a little size and power to their game up the middle.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:08 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
What's this organization's obsession with midget weakling centermen?
What's with people's obsession with putting down someone they've never seen play?
We aren't debating a draft pick here. Size and all that can be reasonable if we're wasting an asset. We're not here. So why not give him a chance?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What's with people's obsession with putting down someone they've never seen play?
We aren't debating a draft pick here. Size and all that can be reasonable if we're wasting an asset. We're not here. So why not give him a chance?
Have you seen him play? Because one guy who has calls him a swedish Kyle Wellwood. So why in the sweet flying **** would we be interested in anything remotely like that?

A team with three 5'10 centermen, none of them elite point producers, has absolutely no chance. Why not get a 4th? Oh but yeah it doesn't hurt anything to acquire an asset... yeah we're movin' up in times alright.

Old
05-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Schooner Guy

Johansson plays on the same team as the highly regarded Jonas Gustavsson.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:15 AM
DougHarvey

Only in Montreal , can the fans bash and ***** about a rumored player signing.

Let`s see if it`s true and lets see the guy perform before we make up our minds.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Have you seen him play? Because one guy who has calls him a swedish Kyle Wellwood. So why in the sweet flying **** would we be interested in anything remotely like that?

A team with three 5'10 centermen, none of them elite point producers, has absolutely no chance. Why not get a 4th? Oh but yeah it doesn't hurt anything to acquire an asset... yeah we're movin' up in times alright.
And it was also noted that he can play on the wing, but also maybe there's a chance that one of our other 5'10 centerman might be traded or not coming back?

We don't waste a draft pick and we don't give up any players so there is no hurt in signing him.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:19 AM
momotan

Maybe you clowns will realize he's an AHL signing and if he does surprise can squeeze in on the 4th line and collect his million.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:

The only reason Wellwood has a bad name is because he is lazy. If he played with heart every game, he'd be a very good player. Not to mention, he was pretty damn good in the playoffs.

If this guy plays like Wellwood and shows up every night, bring him on over!

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
And it was also noted that he can play on the wing, but also maybe there's a chance that one of our other 5'10 centerman might be traded or not coming back?

We don't waste a draft pick and we don't give up any players so there is no hurt in signing him.
I've got no problem with the actual signing of the guy, Hamilton always can use new players, but is it that hard to find someone with NHL potential in the entire continent of ****ing Europe who actually has a bit of size and strength to him?

Am I alone here? Is no one else tired of watching this team run around it's own zone because the centermen are too damn small and weak to gain position on guys and move the puck out? Or have you guys enjoyed watching that for the past 8 years... the cavalcade of brutes like Koivu, Plekanec, Metropolit, Ribeiro, Gilmour, Dowd, Perreault, Juneau... some of those names are the softest, weakest players to ever play the game.

-I know I shouldn't bash a player I've never seen, but watching this team get pushed around for years has just gnawed away at my brain. Just sick and tired of small, weak centermen.

Last edited by Ross MacLochness: 05-24-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old
05-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
I've got no problem with the actual signing of the guy, Hamilton always can use new players, but is it that hard to find someone with NHL potential in the entire continent of ****ing Europe who actually has a bit of size and strength to him?
At age 23, those guys are usually property of an NHL team. Johansson's a possible depth signing....big deal.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:

Or have you guys enjoyed watching that for the past 8 years... the cavalcade of brutes like Koivu, Plekanec, Metropolit, Ribeiro, Gilmour, Dowd, Perreault, Juneau... some of those names are the softest, weakest players to ever play the game.

-
Something tells me you only started watching hockey recently and never saw Gilmour play. For you put his name (and Koivu) in that list is ridiculous. I would take a team of 2 Koivus and two Gilmours any day of the week.

Although I agree with your basic concept, you're associating grit with size which is not always the case.
Let's see what Bob has in store. Maybe if he makes it to the big club, then Plekanec and Metropolit are gone.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:02 AM
FrankMTL

I don't see what the big risk is here?? If he actually plays his way onto the team (which is a good thing) it'll cost us (a reported) a million dollars, and if he sucks, it'll cost us virtually nothing and he can play the year in Hamilton before going back to Europe.

We have nothing to lose...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Something tells me you only started watching hockey recently and never saw Gilmour play. For you put his name (and Koivu) in that list is ridiculous. I would take a team of 2 Koivus and two Gilmours any day of the week.

Although I agree with your basic concept, you're associating grit with size which is not always the case.
Let's see what Bob has in store. Maybe if he makes it to the big club, then Plekanec and Metropolit are gone.
I started watching hockey when Gimour was on Calgary, so anyway... If your thinking of the 120 point Selke winner, then of course, any team would kill to have him. That's not what I'm talking about, I never said you can't win with small centermen. Or can't win with Koivu or Gimour. Don't even get me started on Koivu, he has the heart of a lion, but the fact that we surrounded his tiny, broken down body with the likes of Perreault and Juneau just makes me want to vomit.

None of those guys I mentioned were elite point producers while they were with Montreal. None of them were elite in any category, other than Perreault and his faceoffs. You just simply cannot have 2 or 3 centermen under 5'11, on the same team at the same time, if none of them are star players. Boston must have looked at our lineup, saw Koivu, Plekanec, Lapierre and Metropolit down the middle, and laughed themselves silly.

If we went out and exchanged Plekanec for Crosby, that's a different story. We'd still have three 5'10 centerman, but one of them just happens to be the best ****ing player in the world. The team we have as it is constructed now, has absolutely no chance. A small, weak 60 point player. Followed by a small, weaker 50 point player. Followed by a decent sized, gritty 30 point player. Followed by a small, weak 20 point player. Just no chance. And it NEVER seems to change in Montreal.

Old
05-24-2009, 10:18 AM
number 11

sweet, another small centre

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
I wouldn't count anybody out. Not Chipchura, not Maxwell, not Desharnais not even Ryan White. But realistically speaking, I still need to be proven that there are opening at center. I do believe Koivu will be signed. Is that intelligent to trade a guy like Plekanec while his value might not be at his highest? You have to keep him. Lapierre is a keeper. And Metropolit signed a 2-year contract last year. So unless you're ready to buy Metropolit out, again, where is the room? There are candidates, but there's no room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Some info from http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=2647&lang=en

"Johansson has seen a great development as of late. A skilled player that can be used both on the wing as well as play center. He is a good skater with impressive hockey sense and fine technical skills. Controls the puck with ease and stickhandles smoothly through traffic. Not very big, but plays with some grit and handles larger opponents well. Could improve some aspects in his defensive game."

Seems like Grabovsky to me...
What puzzles me about him is his stats. Surely he played a little less games but his point totals did not improve. And I would like for somebody to explain to me how his 80 penalty minutes transformed into 20 minutes? Was that 80 minutes of hooking penalties and then he got way more disciplined which would be great. Or did he try to play with tons of grit but then realized that it might get injured and cool down on the physical aspect of it.....Would love to have the opinion on people who has seen him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:20 AM
RE-HABS

Considering we have drated well on D and at Goalie, we haven't been bringing in any offensive type forwards and if he pans out he pans out, it is a risk worth taking especially since it would be a two way contract and probably quite affordable as well.

If put say on a line with Higgins and say Latendresse he may do well because he'll have some skill and grit on the ice with him to succeed.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

heyy... Samsonov version 2.0

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
The way you think is weird.

The players you mentioned are drafted. Undrafted or unsigned players obviously all have their issues, or they would have been drafted or signed before.

I'm sure they are plenty of big undrafted and unsigned overagers in Europe just waiting for an NHL team to offer them a contract. But what tells you these players have any skill whatsoever?

Quote:
Am I alone here? Is no one else tired of watching this team run around it's own zone because the centermen are too damn small and weak to gain position on guys and move the puck out? Or have you guys enjoyed watching that for the past 8 years... the cavalcade of brutes like Koivu, Plekanec, Metropolit, Ribeiro, Gilmour, Dowd, Perreault, Juneau... some of those names are the softest, weakest players to ever play the game.
WTF are you talking about. Are you saying you expect the habs to fix their center issue by signing some European overager who is more likely only depth material? Because we lack a specific kind of players, then every single other kind of players is suddenly useless and our pro-scouts shouldn't waste their time with them?

Quote:
-I know I shouldn't bash a player I've never seen, but watching this team get pushed around for years has just gnawed away at my brain. Just sick and tired of small, weak centermen.
You are highly overacting. Every single little move doesn't have to be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
heyy... Samsonov version 2.0
If Johansson ends up the next Samsonov he'll be a heck of a steal.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:36 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
The only reason Wellwood has a bad name is because he is lazy. If he played with heart every game, he'd be a very good player. Not to mention, he was pretty damn good in the playoffs.

If this guy plays like Wellwood and shows up every night, bring him on over!
exactly what i was going to say Natey

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:42 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Another favor

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Boulette Cannon

Swedish Kyle Wellwood for 1m? If that turns out to be true, then I'm really happy.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Go Habs Go

OMG CHANGE! What should we do?? I know, BASH BASH BASH!

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
I don't know about this.

We are a team with no direction right now. Maybe we should figure out who owns this team before we start signing unknown's to million dollar contracts.
Reminds me of Slapshot: "Who own de Chiefs?" "OWNS!"

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote