HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks-Rangers interested in Mike Knuble

Old
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
What RW prospect that could play in the top six is ready to join the Rangers?
Thats the 64,000$ question. Its one thing to play a prospect expecting them to learn....I think thats what Korp went through this season. Its an entirely different thing to plug in a prospect and expect him to produce 20+ goals. Thats just unfair, and the Rangers have noone on the wings down on the farm ready to do that yet.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
37 YEARS OLD

any questions ?
There aren't old players or young players. There are only good players and bad players, that's my opinion.

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
No no no no no no no

I would rather Antropov back than Mike Knuble.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
No no no no no no no

I would rather Antropov back than Mike Knuble.
Obviously, I think everyone would.

But would you rather have Antropov at 4 years, 16+ million?

Or Mike Knuble at 1 year, 3 million?

It becomes a little more jaded when thinking about it that way.

Old
05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
gravytrain6t

He's got good size at 6'3" 230lb. But we should have kept him when we had him. If Slats gives him one year I'll live. No more than one year.

I am in favor of bringing back Antropov though (even at a higher price) than going any where near Knuble. I think Antropov can give us 30 goals a year for the next few seasons. But all of this is up to Tortorella and how he wants to shape his team.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Obviously, I think everyone would.

But would you rather have Antropov at 4 years, 16+ million?

Or Mike Knuble at 1 year, 3 million?

It becomes a little more jaded when thinking about it that way.
I'll take Antropov at 4 years @ 16 million please. Thats actually not too bad considering his production and size and the fact he's not 37. And how do u know we could get Knuble on a one year deal? Sather gives out contrats like he's drinking and bids against himself.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I'll take Antropov at 4 years @ 16 million please. Thats actually not too bad considering his production and size and the fact he's not 37. And how do u know we could get Knuble on a one year deal? Sather gives out contrats like he's drinking and bids against himself.
I dont. I also dont know if we could get Antropov for 4/16. He might very well be offered more. Its just speculating...the point is, being we're screwed with the cap, theres going to come a day where we're going to have to go with the older/cheaper/non-long term options.

And maybe Ill eat these words cause he never ceases to amaze (disappoint) me, but I dont think Sather would give multi-years to someone over 35.

Old
05-26-2009, 06:18 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats the 64,000$ question. Its one thing to play a prospect expecting them to learn....I think thats what Korp went through this season. Its an entirely different thing to plug in a prospect and expect him to produce 20+ goals. Thats just unfair, and the Rangers have noone on the wings down on the farm ready to do that yet.
A year ago, the answer was easy. But, that option has tragically passed. The truth is, this organization is very weak on RW. You've got Callahan and Zherdev, unless the organization is willing to give Kveton a shot, and he's willing to come over...and we haven't heard that being the case with either party.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:39 PM
NYR Viper

I would rather see a young player get a shot rather than pay Knuble. Antropov and Betts would be the only UFA I would go after and fill in the rest of the spots with young players like Byers, Kveton, Grachev, Sangs, Sauer, MDZ, and Gilroy.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 06:42 PM
gravytrain6t

As of now, I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of having Zherdev and Tortorella on the same team. But we are weak on the right side and we did give up a real solid defense man in Tyutin. Plus we could still use a right handed shot. IDK how much other teams are going to offer little Nik, but really Sather has to make a wise decision with that kid. If the price is too high (which i doubt) let him walk and take whatever compensation you can get. If it isn't hold onto him for another year. The problem with that is that he'll probably have a fantastic year and then lots of teams will be throwing large numbers at him and then what will this fan base be saying about Sather then??

There will be Rangers fans "storming the palace." Especially if he winds up with a divisional foe.

The decision on Zherdev could be the toughest of Sather's career. I mean he's still an important rw consideration despite quotes by Schoenfeld. IDK personally, what I would do with Zherdev.

However, it doesn't change my stance on Knuble. I don't want any more aging vets up front. IMO, Antropov needed a change of scenery from an obsessed hockey town. His size and skill could be just what we need for the next few years.

Old
05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Let's keep it that way.

Knuble would be the new Naslund, and would probably bring many of the same pros and cons.

I kind of doubt that, Naslund was never physical.Knuble always had an edge to him.

Hey, listen, Everyone was hot for Rolston last year, Both guys have similar styles, Rolston got hurt early this past season, so he did not meet expecations, it's the best comparison U can think of right now.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 07:42 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

No no no no, we worked hard to get away from what the Maple Leafs have become, a team that takes old players and gives them bad contracts. If a veteran presence on the team is what we want to help the up in comings' we've already got that.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
gravytrain6t

Okay, every one is entitled to their opinion. And everyone should be respectful of that. Now I'd like to hear someones opinion on Zherdev. What in fact do we do with this kid? And if Mike Knuble is going to play here for one year fine (he has a right handed shot too), but we still need another right winger. Give Prucha another shot anyone??

Old
05-26-2009, 11:00 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I kind of doubt that, Naslund was never physical.Knuble always had an edge to him.

Hey, listen, Everyone was hot for Rolston last year, Both guys have similar styles, Rolston got hurt early this past season, so he did not meet expecations, it's the best comparison U can think of right now.
Knuble/Naslund

-Old

-Slow

-25 goals

-Don't do what they do best as well as they used to (play with an edge/shoot)

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I completely understand what you're saying. I would love for this to happen. By that I mean end the cycle you're talking about. And as far as post lock out, I see Slats steering this ship in the right direction. For all the redundant bashing that happens on here regarding especially Sather, Gomez, or Redden (not in any specific order ), we cannot deny that Sather has already began to do some of the things that the organization has a notorious track record for not doing (holding on to the kids and not letting them continue to gain experience, confidence and blossom at their own pace).

I think for the most part, people are in agreement that the Tyutin trade was and is still, in many peoples minds, a chance worth taking. I've had my own opinions and problems with Zherdev but I would say bring him back for another year. If you bring back Zherdev, take a look at our lineup. It is not exactly old.
Sather, thus far, has not gotten rid of Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky, Callahan, Korpikoski and Zherdev. Although it seems like he'll be gone but who knows. So far I just read a quote from what Zipay said that Schoenfeld said.

Gomez, whether you like him and his contract or not, is not old. And he can still fly up and down the ice. IMO, he's a good second line center and whether it says much or not, the fact is, no one has racked up more points than Gomez since he's been here (Jagr had one more point while playing one more game). Although not overwhelmingly obvious, he hasn't been this big turn over machine who costs us games as some may have suggested. If he has, he would not be a plus one. He'd be at least a -14 like Atlanta's Kozlov or a -12 like his line mate Kovalchuk. Someone might mention the Dallas game. The whole team was horrible. When a team scores ten goals, you can't place the blame on any player.

Sather is slowly, year by year, plugging in the youth. Again, Dubinsky, Callahan, Girardi, Staal, Korpikoski, and the jury's out on Zherdev. Next year, we can probably add to the list. Kids like Byers and certainly Anisimov should be earning a spot in the line up. If Grachev impresses enough, possibly him too. Same goes for Sangs, Fahey and Potter (I'm especially referring to Sangs). Going back to another thread on Girardi. Lets not forget, some guys who haven't been drafted wind up being more helpful to your team than even a first round draft pick. I'm sure most people would take Girardi over a kid like Stefan Cherneski despite the fact they play 2 different positions.

So including the names I mentioned above, throw in young kids like Stepan, Hagelin, and Campbell at the Collegiate level, Hillier (get him out of Charlotte as no one seems to do well on that team), Busto (look at what I just wrote regarding Hillier), Zaborsky, Pyatt, Cheraponov (unfortunately his compensation), Owens, Sauer, Anisimov, Byers, Dupont, Weise, Sauer, Sangs, and MDZ. Leaving the pro ranks, there's Doyle, Grachev, Kundratek, Gilroy, Dowzak, and Gaulton. Finally over seas there's Kveton and Heikkinen.

Now forget about the "what if's" regarding this post. I know some will make it and some won't. But aren't we already seeing the beginning of this endless cycle of trading away young players? All of these kids are still here. All of the forwards are 22 and younger except for Owens and Byers who are both one year older. And lets not forget the up coming drafts.

As far as trades, what, if any were so horrible? I for one didn't care for the Montoya, Sjostrom trade because i think Lundqvist could use some competition to ensure his game is sharp. But some people have different opinions and I respect that. Sjostrom and Betts killing penalties is why this team had the best pk unit. Another poster suggested Sjostrom was the best player we could get at that particular time because he wasn't proven and would not have had a chance to prove himself with "Hank" in net.

And as far as this whole Lundqvist was drafted by a Neil Smith scout. What makes a difference? Is he the same scout who landed us Jeff Brown, Pavel Brendl and Jamie Lundmark? Why couldn't he grab us Ryan Miller and Zetterberg (being he has a good eye on Swedish talent)? Or at the very least I would've settled for Comrie and Havlat.

And not to mention we have the upcoming drafts to look forward to. So I don't think its an endless loop. It seems like that. But I think we're already starting the beginning of a new loop.

Lets also not forget. We've gotten to the playoffs 4 years straight. To me, that counts for a lot. Because personally, i think it's been a pretty dam fun four years. And sure, maybe what we need is top end talent like Malkin, Crosby or Ovechkin. I'd prefer not to go through such miserable seasons so the league can hand me prizes. But if it happens it happens.
Generally, I agree with much of what you say here Gravy. I've made many of the same points myself in the past.

I mainly find myself frustrated by the desire expressed by many to sign aged veterans. It's a tactic that has never worked very well for us. Shanny being perhaps the lone exception, and even for him it was a somewhat mediocre. Old vets on their last legs are not what will make this team a consistent cup contender. I want the Rangers to be on the same footing as Detroit in this regard.

A youthful core of Hank, Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky and Cally is good, but it needs to be added to. The priority should be more size, scoring ability and grit both up front and on the back line. The Rangers need to be a tougher team to play against because of both ability and aggressiveness.

Acquiring Jack Johnson is an interesting idea. I'm not sure if he would fill the need the Rangers have, but his potential is descriptive.

Anisimov and Gratchev are a step in the right direction, but a better combination of skill and grit needs to be part of that mix.

It's true, Sather slowly seems to be moving the Rangers toward the right place, but his large missteps are haunting him. I watch Getzlaf and I can't help but wonder about a combination of him and the two young Russians.The signings of Drury, Gomez and Redden and the acquisition of Zherdev have all fallen far short of my expectation. It's been ten years for Slats and the team took a step back this year. The Rangers need a big move forward this year or his time may finally run out.

Last edited by Pizza: 05-27-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Knuble earned $2.8 million last season as the Flyers' top-line right wing. After netting 27 goals -- his sixth straight NHL season with 20 or more goals -- he could fetch at least $2 million a season when the free-agent bell rings Wednesday. The Penguins and Rangers are believed to be two of the teams interested in signing him.

Knuble and his family would prefer to stay in Philadelphia. But he also does not want to be grossly underpaid in his final NHL contract.

"We're willing to stay here, but at what amount?" Knuble asked. "Is it 25 percent less? Fifteen percent? We understand the Flyers only have so much to spend. But we also understand other teams are interested. Once other teams start talking to you, things can happen pretty fast."

In other words, if the Flyers and Knuble don't come to an agreement by the end of today, Knuble could be pulling on a Penguins jersey by Wednesday.

"It's now or never," Knuble said. "When teams come knocking, they need answers and they need them now."
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...-now-or-never-

Pittsburgh doesn't have the money.

If Knuble is willing to accept a 1 year deal,Knuble could be a Ranger.

The Rangers aren't giving him a 37 year old player a two year deal with the Vlad Malakhov clause in effect.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:51 AM
DarthSather99

It's funny but Brooks was like the #1 booster when we signed the free agents. Now he's slamming the decision that Glen Sather made.

Does he have to keep bringing up Parise? So a mistake was made. Should we go back to every player Brooks said we were getting and remind him on a weekly basis that they are not with the Rangers. How many of his rumors turned out to be truth?

So, Knuble is a player on the Rangers radar and this is news? I could have told you that....

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Levitate

the usual caveat of "as long as he doesn't take a spot from a prospect who earns it"

But the Rangers need to fill some holes

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Vitto79

too old and will cost too much

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
too old and will cost too much
Not really. He'll be 37 but he was still productive last season. He's got good leadership qualities. ANd he made 2.8M last year (almost half as much as Naslund). That's too much? Certainly worth taking a look at when the pie in the sky dreams of dumping one of our bad contracts and/or signing Gaborik don't pan out. Especially for a one or two year deal.

06-30-2009, 07:35 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not really. He'll be 37 but he was still productive last season. He's got good leadership qualities. ANd he made 2.8M last year (almost half as much as Naslund). That's too much? Certainly worth taking a look at when the pie in the sky dreams of dumping one of our bad contracts and/or signing Gaborik don't pan out. Especially for a one or two year deal.

$2.8 million is a pretty good deal. we paid Naslund $4 Million.

I think everyone on this board should be prepared to accept the fact that Knubble may be Sathers only big F/A singing this off season.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:47 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I think everyone on this board should be prepared to accept the fact that Knubble may be Sathers only big F/A singing this off season.
I think you're entirely right, but I really would like to see Sather make a push for Erik Cole.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:09 AM
NY Ranger86

no thanks.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:16 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im not enamored with the idea of signing Knuble.

But if the Rangers can find a sniper and bring in the right mix of youth, Knuble might not be a bad sign if they get him for the right price. (thats the key) Theres no question the Rangers are looking at his shot and PP numbers - the guy puts the puck in the net... i think hell command somewhere in the 2.5 range.... is that worth it? I dont know.

It seems like every thread goes back to the same thing... the cap.

I think id rather go with a little more speed up front for the money.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:18 AM
jniklast

i'd rather give kveton a real chance to make the team

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote