HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks-Rangers interested in Mike Knuble

Old
06-30-2009, 08:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
no thanks.
Who are you really expecting then?

The guy had more goals than anyone they had last season for the whole season. He'll come relatively cheap (think of replacing Naslund with a more productive and less expensive option.

06-30-2009, 08:33 AM
NYROrtsFan

Knuble makes the most sense... He brings some size, and production. The Rangers have some holes to fill and some of these young players just aren't ready or good enough. He's also a character guy that is good to have around the team.

I'd even give him 2 years at 2.5 mill. He's 37 but not playing horribly old yet. He'd probably mesh well with someone like Drury or even Dubinsky.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:35 AM
beastly115

I'll take 1 year of Knuble over another long, over-paid contract any day. At least he'd come off the books next season and allow us to re-sign Staal.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If the price is similar, I'd take Kovalev over Knuble. Kovalev is one year younger, a proven playoff performer and is just better.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:40 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Knuble makes the most sense... He brings some size, and production. The Rangers have some holes to fill and some of these young players just aren't ready or good enough. He's also a character guy that is good to have around the team.

I'd even give him 2 years at 2.5 mill. He's 37 but not playing horribly old yet. He'd probably mesh well with someone like Drury or even Dubinsky.
If we give him 2 years, I'd backload it. 1.75 the 1st year and 3.25 the second. That way if we need to buy him out in year 2 in order to resign Staal and Girardi, then his cap hit would only be $333,333 in 2010-11 (and $1,083,333 in 2011-12).

That might end up being less of a cap hit next year than if we were to give him a 1 year deal with performance bonuses.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:39 AM
NYR Viper

I would take Kovalev over Knuble but I wouldnt mind him. I am still hoping Gomez and Rozsival can be moved and the Rangers can move on without being hand-cuffed for the extended future.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Knuble would be decent...he would give us size in front of the net which this team needs. However, I think there may be better options out there. I guess I would take Kovalev over Knuble but even then I don't know. Its going to be very interesting tomorrow when we can get an idea of what Slats and co. are thinking.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Too bad Moss from Calgary was signed...

He just hit the 20 goal mark, hes got size... 8 PPG. - he would add some more speed than Knuble.

Signed for 1.3 for 3 years...

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 06-30-2009 at 02:18 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Mjollnir9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
knuble is the kinda winger that gomez needs. i'd offer a one year deal with a base of 2 mil and incentives that could take it to 4. if we can't move gomez, this would make some sense
Ummm. So far we have had a revolving door of wings for Gomez. Knuble will not be able to keep up with Gomez, and will be a total waste! Also, is Knuble even close to being a 1st liner? I'm for bringing up Artem Anisimov, and Dane Byers for 4th line, See how Boyle does in camp(he's huge and skilled), and playing the kids. We Do need a sniper, and with Antro likely gone, Naslund gone, and Z possibly not in Ranger Blue, we need scoring bad. that's 70 something goals we need to replace. I am sure that with a full camp, and campaign under Tortorella, the likes of Dubinsky, Callahan and Korpedo will improve their scoring output. Not enough though. Out of free agents available(some don't make sense for NY without moving salary) I like : Sedin Twins(would need to deal big), Gaborik ( 1 year with heavy incentives making 2 possible depending on performance and injuries) , Gionta ( small, but we got rid of alot of smurfs, and his history and chemistry with Gomez cannot be denied) Hossa ( don't really like him, but he is a sniper. There are more, and some more likely, but hey I am just blabbering...

Mjollnir9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I guess some of the alternatives to Knuble are Chad Larose (he impressed me in the playoffs), Ales Kotilik (eww), Ruslan Fedotenko (Torts reunion?), Kyle Calder (doubt he returns to his old form)...

Not much else out there on the FA market.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i want to get younger, not older.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i want to get younger, not older.
Me too. If he comes as an absolute bargain, then eh. I guess you've bought yourself a guy who you can move out to a contender at the deadline. And you don't have to worry about burying him in the press box as the kids advance. But if you pay him big bucks - some blog is advocating the Rangers get him for 2 years at $7MM - I'm dead against it.

The way I see it, we've got

Gomez
Drury
Avery
Zherdev
Korpikoski
Dubinsky
Callahan

as locks for the top 9. That leaves two spots open (not counting Voros and Rissmiller). You bring on Knuble (who isn't a GREAT fit for Torts' system anyway IMO) and that leaves only one. Unless we make trades, we need to leave some room for Grachev, Anisimov, Boyle, Byers and anyone else who surprises.

The last thing I want is to relegate Anisimov to the fourth line or the AHL because there's no room ahead of him. (Not to mention worsening our cap situation in the process!)

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-30-2009 at 03:19 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Knuble wants more than a 1 year deal

Quote:
Knuble, who will turn 37 on Saturday and was fifth on the club last season with 27 goals, is believed to be seeking a two-year deal worth about $4 million. The Tampa Bay Lightning, St. Louis Blues, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers are among the teams believed to be interested in the 12-year veteran.

Mindful that prospect James van Riemsdyk might be a year away from being an impact player and that they are currently about $5 million under the salary cap, the Flyers offered Knuble an incentive-laden, one-year deal with a cap hit believed to be about $1 million.

"I'm looking for a couple years," Knuble said. "I don't need to be in this situation again next year."
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...to-free-agency

Forget about Knuble.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:47 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I think knuble looking for 2 years is a good deal, he's doing things now and not staaling(get it hint hint) like freakin sundin would as he gets old

(and now for those hardcore people who were about to try to flame me.......i said good deal....just not for the rangers )

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 06:50 AM
azrok22

Quote:
I think knuble looking for 2 years is a good deal, he's doing things now and not staaling(get it hint hint) like freakin sundin would as he gets old
No it really isn't. Signing Knuble for 2 years is playing with fire. He decides to retire (because of a sub-par year, being OLD, or any of a thousand other reasons) and the team that signed him has a ~2m hit on their cap next year in dead space (and a likelihood of the cap dropping), because he is over 35.

One year deal I make him an offer. Two year deal... BAD idea.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote