HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

classy move by the ducks tonight

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
classy move by the ducks tonight

they are completely out of it and playing out the string. They meet a team fighting for the last playoff spot and the Ducks start their back-up goalie !! I don't care that the ducks are winning 3-1 at the end of the 2nd. You don't do this to the other teams in the hunt. You play your best players and you play to win. A few years ago, Slats's Oilers were out of it and they played the role of the spoiler. When asked, Slats said it was an unwritten rule that you ice your best possible team.

Before the end of the year, the ducks play the Blues and the Flames. They better be playing their 5 million dollar a year goalie.

Old
03-23-2004, 08:53 PM
streetballer03

GO DUCKS!!! This is awesome! Hope they can keep the lead. Those Predators a playoff-hungry bunch.

Old
Seachd

I don't know... They're perfectly within their rights to play their backup, who, by the way, isn't exactly bad. He's one of the better backups out there. And the way Giguere's been playing this year, I might rather have the Ducks play Gerber anyway.

Old
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
they are completely out of it and playing out the string. They meet a team fighting for the last playoff spot and the Ducks start their back-up goalie !! I don't care that the ducks are winning 3-1 at the end of the 2nd. You don't do this to the other teams in the hunt. You play your best players and you play to win. A few years ago, Slats's Oilers were out of it and they played the role of the spoiler. When asked, Slats said it was an unwritten rule that you ice your best possible team.

Before the end of the year, the ducks play the Blues and the Flames. They better be playing their 5 million dollar a year goalie.
Considering Gerber has played better than Giguere by a country mile this year i don't have much of a problem with it. Also,remember Giguere just had a mere 60 shots last game against the Wings and played pretty well. I'd be a little more upset if they didn't play Federov or Ozo.

Old
03-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Jerky Leclerc

The Ducks are planning to trade Gerber this offseason to make room for Bryzgalov next year. The Ducks are giving him some playing time to boost his value. Beside, Gerber is no rook coming off the bench. The guy is a top quality goaltender who should be #1 for another team.

Old
03-23-2004, 08:58 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:

You tell me who the backup is here:

10-10-3 2.33 GAA .914 sv%

or

16-29-6 2.65 .914 sv%

I'm glad they started Gerber (well... I have him in my pool)... I mean the team obviously plays different in front of him.

Old
03-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Mr Sakich

I like gerber and think there is a possibility he may OUR starter next year, but you have a 5 million dollar a year undisputed #1 goalie sitting on the bench. If gerber stinks it out tonight (entirely possible), then the other teams are going to be pissed. You don't start your back-up when playing teams in the hunt.

It doesn't matter how it eventually turned out, the fact is that Giggy is their #1 guy and he should have got the start. I am sure that other GM's are taking notice and Anaheim may get a return favour next year if they are in the hunt.

Old
03-23-2004, 09:34 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

well, apparently it worked out for us...4-1 Ducks

Old
03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

the last game Giguere played he let in 6 goals?!?

I think the Ducks were pretty sensible to start Gerber

Old
03-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
the last game Giguere played he let in 6 goals?!?

I think the Ducks were pretty sensible to start Gerber
on 50 shots by the red wings. He was probably one of the three stars.

It doesn't matter how the game turned out. Anaheim had to give the "appearance" that they were icing their best line-up and they clearly failed to do so.

Old
03-23-2004, 09:40 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:

It doesn't matter how the game turned out. Anaheim had to give the "appearance" that they were icing their best line-up and they clearly failed to do so.
Sorry but Gerber is better than Giguere at this point in the season. Giguere has stunk.

Old
03-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Oi'll say!

They played Bryzgalov against the 'Yotes, Giguere against Stl and Det, and Gerger against the Preds. It makes sense to me.

Old
03-23-2004, 09:44 PM
fuhr

Quote:

Man,you are flat out wrong on this one. By putting in your goalie that has just faced 57 shots last game and 86 shots in his last 5 periods played,they'd be doing the complete opposite. The Ducks best lineup on this night was with Gerber in net not an overworked and a tired Giguere.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Gerber is better than Giguere this year anyways.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:13 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree, I'm much happier with Gerber in net.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Brynster

Oh BABY... Gerber!

Watched the game tonight (you know it's freakin' March when I'm watching a game between Nashville and Anaheim).

Gerber... outstanding tonight and the Ducks made the right call.
I also agree with everyone else that Martin's been better than J.S. this season. Perhaps they want to see what they got in case they decide to make a deal during the off season???

Old
03-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Mr Sakich

so if Gerber would have stunk the joint out, we all would have said that Anaheim gave it their best??

Old
03-23-2004, 10:55 PM
speeds

Quote:
so if Gerber would have stunk the joint out, we all would have said that Anaheim gave it their best??
who cares, it's their call, not the call of Oilers fans.

I don't have a problem with it, nor would I have a problem with it if they scratched Fedorov, Sykora and Rucchin for 3 ECHLers.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:11 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
who cares, it's their call, not the call of Oilers fans.

I don't have a problem with it, nor would I have a problem with it if they scratched Fedorov, Sykora and Rucchin for 3 ECHLers.
That's stretching it. There IS supposed to be some integrity in the game. If you're resting your star goalie or a star player for your playoff series, or trying out a near-ready prospect while you're playing out the string, that's one thing. But if they were putting on a lineup full of clowns who have no business wearing an NHL jersey, that's something else. You can't throw games.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:19 PM
barto

But where's that fine line between icing a competitive team (even though you might be already eliminated from a playoff spot) and checking out your younger kids for next year? They already know what their veteran players are like (Federov, etc.) but might want to see how the kids fare at the NHL level to see if they're ready to take the next step.

I certainly don't think the Ducks crossed it tonight by any stretch, but the ECHL comment made me wonder a little...

Bart

Old
03-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Mr Sakich

going into tonight, the ducks had 5 games left, 3 vs teams fighting for the last spot. IMO, they start their #1 goalie against those teams and start their AHL team vs the other two. Gerber is a good goalie but nobody thinks he is their best goalie. It worked out for the oilers and I am happy but I would have been real upset if gerber had stunk.

Anaheim mgt made the decision to start Gerber BEFORE the game, before they knew the results. They left themselves open to this criticism and it is fair criticism.

Old
03-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Oi'll say!

I can't believe you still feel that way. Giggy started 2 of the last 3 and just got shelled in his last game. The Ducks have every right to start a perfectly capable backup, and their own motives, as per their three goalie situation right now, are far more relevant to their gameday decisions than what teams they're playing against.

Old
03-24-2004, 12:16 AM
momentai

Quote:
going into tonight, the ducks had 5 games left, 3 vs teams fighting for the last spot. IMO, they start their #1 goalie against those teams and start their AHL team vs the other two. Gerber is a good goalie but nobody thinks he is their best goalie. It worked out for the oilers and I am happy but I would have been real upset if gerber had stunk.
Well, considering the fact that Giguere let in 6-7 goals (I'm not sure which but I know Anaheim scored 8)... he could have been a little tired. Not only that but this season, could you really say that Giguere IS the number 1 goalie at this point?

Take for example the streak with Conklin and Salo when Salo was apparently struggling with his game. Should another team get mad at us that we played Conklin instead of icing our "#1" in Salo when it was clear who was playing better at the time? Same situation more or less.

Besides, it doesn't really matter at this point. If a team wants to tank it... that's their perogative. Sure, I would be a little miffed. But they are well within their rights to do it; after all, that's their team and whatever way they want to run it is really no business of ours.

Old
03-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Boondock Saint

WHAT I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT IS GIVING JUSSI THE START IN SAN JOSE!?!?!?!?!

GIVING YOUR BACKUP THE START OBVIOUSLY MEANS YOU'RE NOT TRYING TO WIN!?!?!?!

IS MACT TRYING TO THROW THE SEASON OR WHAT!?!?!?!

Old
03-28-2004, 02:41 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
That's stretching it. There IS supposed to be some integrity in the game. If you're resting your star goalie or a star player for your playoff series, or trying out a near-ready prospect while you're playing out the string, that's one thing. But if they were putting on a lineup full of clowns who have no business wearing an NHL jersey, that's something else. You can't throw games.
That still wouldn't be "throwing games"; it's not the same as intentionally losing.

But, OGE, I just brought this up to see your thoughts on the goalie WASH is playing this past week

stealing from another thread:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=65261&page=2

FYI, the Caps have started Matt Yeats in goal for the second straight game. You know, the Matt Yeats who sits behind Olaf Kolzig, Maxime Ouellet, Sebastien Charpentier, Rastislav Stana, Maxime Daigneault, and Robert Gherson on the team's goalie depth chart. THAT Matt Yeats... it makes for a nice tanking strategy.

Closed Thread