HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dreger: Redden, Staal, Dubinsky for Kaberle, Stralman, Leafs 1st

Old
05-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Cyrrus147

vCash: 500
This trade is terrible for Toronto ( and yes this is coming from a Habs fan)

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:18 AM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Senator View Post
So basically:

To Toronto

Staal
Dubinsky
Redden

To New York

7th overall
Kaberle
Stralman

Why would Toronto do this?
I'm with you bud. Looks a little lopsided to me.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofnats View Post
I think when it's all said and done, the two best young players would be Staal and the 7th overall (MPS/Schenn/Cowen)... let's say their approximately equal value.

That mean's were trading Kaberle+Stralman for Redden+Dubinski? I like Dubinski, but we already have Grabovski, Stajan and Bozak all competing for that 2nd line center position. I don't see why Leafs would do this.

Have to concur that Staal = 7th overall especially with the comparable Jared Cowen probably slated to go there.

Kaberle & Stralman for Redden & Dubinski make of it what you will Rangers fans but I know where all of Leaf Land stands on this one.

Good breakdown imho.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:26 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
So basically:

To Toronto

Staal
Dubinsky
Redden

To New York

7th overall
Kaberle
Stralman

Toronto is getting 2 of the 3 best players in this deal. Staal is absolutely incredible, and Dubinsky is a good young centre.

That's why Toronto would do this.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:26 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
So basically:

To Toronto

Staal
Dubinsky
Redden

To New York

7th overall
Kaberle
Stralman

The only reason Toronto does this if they can't move up in the draft and want to build the Leafs around Schenn and Staal.

Dubinsky would be their top skilled forward right off the bat, but the Redden contract is awful return because of the cost and his play...maybe NY still has to sweeten this deal by adding a prospect or their 1st rounder as well.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:28 AM
dspec

Toronto and New York are my two favorite teams and I think Toronto is getting ripped in this deal.

Redden is considered a negative in the deal and Toronto would have to eat his contract for a few more years. Toronto needs a high end offensive talent and neither Dubinsky or Staal would fit that role. Sure, Staal is a defensive beast and Dubinsky could be a fine 2nd line centre but there is a chance the leafs could draft a better offensive talent with that 7th pick or possibly move up.
The Leafs are also losing Kaberle who is one of their best trade able assets and Stralman who could be considered better than Redden.

From New York's point of view, THEY GET RID OF REDDEN'S CONTRACT! That is the biggest aspect of the deal even bigger than losing Dubinsky and Staal. They get the 7th overall which they can use to draft another shut down d to replace Staal in Cowen or go for that offensive player that they need as well. Getting Kaberle and Stralman just sweetens the deal.

dspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:32 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
Toronto is getting 2 of the 3 best players in this deal. Staal is absolutely incredible, and Dubinsky is a good young centre.

That's why Toronto would do this.
Just like why the Islanders will trade #1 for Kaberle and Jason Blake.

They get 2 of the 3 best players in the deal.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Monstar50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspec View Post
Toronto and New York are my two favorite teams and I think Toronto is getting ripped in this deal.

Redden is considered a negative in the deal and Toronto would have to eat his contract for a few more years. Toronto needs a high end offensive talent and neither Dubinsky or Staal would fit that role. Sure, Staal is a defensive beast and Dubinsky could be a fine 2nd line centre but there is a chance the leafs could draft a better offensive talent with that 7th pick or possibly move up.
The Leafs are also losing Kaberle who is one of their best trade able assets and Stralman who could be considered better than Redden.

From New York's point of view, THEY GET RID OF REDDEN'S CONTRACT! That is the biggest aspect of the deal even bigger than losing Dubinsky and Staal. They get the 7th overall which they can use to draft another shut down d to replace Staal in Cowen or go for that offensive player that they need as well. Getting Kaberle and Stralman just sweetens the deal.
Exactly, we have the upper hand on them, and if that's the best there offering wait until they(or another team) get desperate to move salary then we pounce!

Monstar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:38 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Nice to see Slats join the game of playing the media on slow days. He used to do this all the time in Edmonton. Burke isn't the only one who can play with the media.

While th TO media plays up the value of all leaf players--this one plays it down.

Like the response from the leaf fans--almost identical to the response of rumours that have the leafs coming out on top fropm other teams fans.

Don't see the deal working from the leafs perpective enless the rangers first is going in the other direction

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:39 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
This trade offer by Sather equals epic failure. Someone should tell Sather that JFJ isn't running the team any more and the Leafs aren't going to let him off the hook for his bad contracts while giving him our best player and a potential franchise player with the 7th overall. This trade makes no sense for the Leafs, they are rebuilding.
But the Leafs are getting a young 2nd line centre, a guy that can still play top pairing minutes, and a top pairing shutdown defender in Staal (who's only 22) for the deal. That's a pretty good offer if true.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:41 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
But the Leafs are getting a young 2nd line centre, a guy that can still play top pairing minutes, and a top pairing shutdown defender in Staal (who's only 22) for the deal. That's a pretty good offer if true.
You forgot to mention the cap. That's the most serious problem with this deal, Redden is a toxic asset right now.

grabo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:46 AM
suprvilce

Even if Rangers would remove Redden and add their 1s pick i don't think i'd do it.

suprvilce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Go Habs Go

I don't see why the Rangers would do this. If its to unload Redden's contract, sending Staal and Dubinsky with him is a hefty price.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:55 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I don't see why the Rangers would do this. If its to unload Redden's contract, sending Staal and Dubinsky with him is a hefty price.

And the 7th overall pick , Tomas Kaberle , and Anton Stralman wouldn't be from Toronto's side ?

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 10:58 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
You forgot to mention the cap. That's the most serious problem with this deal, Redden is a toxic asset right now.
Well first off it's not like the Leafs are spending to the cap next season. It's a little less than 2.5M more than Kaberle, and although Staal will be in for a good raise, the Leafs would be getting a young established top pairing defender, something that may not happen with the 7th Overall and certainly won't happen with Stralman.

guess it all depends on perspective, but if I was the one being offered this package, I'd have to think long and hard about it. If the Rangers added another prospect or a 2010 pick to even out Redden's contract, then it would be a no brainer.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:02 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Well first off it's not like the Leafs are spending to the cap next season.
Next year isn't really the problem, it's the fact that he gets 6.5 until 2014 that concerns me.

Old
05-24-2009, 11:03 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Well first off it's not like the Leafs are spending to the cap next season. It's a little less than 2.5M more than Kaberle, and although Staal will be in for a good raise, the Leafs would be getting a young established top pairing defender, something that may not happen with the 7th Overall and certainly won't happen with Stralman.

guess it all depends on perspective, but if I was the one being offered this package, I'd have to think long and hard about it. If the Rangers added another prospect or a 2010 pick to even out Redden's contract, then it would be a no brainer.
I forgot Redden's contract ended next season.

Oh wait.

Cowen (assuming he is still there at 7) will be better than Staal too. I don't have any doubts about that either.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:06 AM
grabo84

Well, Staal has more value to me than the 7th pick. Cowen might have a shot at turning into a better player, but who's to say he actually does it?

Old
05-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Ace88*

take out redden and Leafs first, add Del Zotto and one of the Leafs 2nds, and i'd do it. Otherwise no chance in hell. I actually facepalmed irl when i read that.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Just a wet dream from the Toronto side. Dubinsky and Staal? Come on, if Rangers do this, they are crazier than I thought they were.

In a cap world, you're giving a Kaberle who might leave in 1 year, Stralman who still is unproven and a prospect for 2 of your best young guys you had in a long time only to get rid of Redden's salary? No way does Sather admits his mistake by on top of that having to give 2 great kids in the process. Eat it up Sather. Way better than to have to give both kids up.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post

And the 7th overall pick , Tomas Kaberle , and Anton Stralman wouldn't be from Toronto's side ?
Kaberle is probably on his way out next year. Stralman's is still an unproven prospect that could go either way. The 7th is the most interesting thing here since it could one of MSP, Schenn or any other at that point. But for the price of 1 great prospect and 1 unproven kid, you are getting 2 proven young kids. So how the heck do you lose when Toronto is still ready to not be a cup contender next year? Do you really need the final year of Kaberle to make a difference? You are in a rebuilding mode and clearly getting Dubinsky and Staal speeds up the recovery. Stralman is by far not Marc Staal. And Dubinsky for the next 2 years easily will be better than the prospect that you'll have with your 7th pick. On top of that, while an hefty price, you are getting a guy that still can be in any top 6 while Kaberle could be out of New York in 1 year.

Sorry, don't see the problem as far as the Leafs are concerned.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:14 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

What a surprise. Leaf fans drastically undervaluing Staal. The Rangers are one of the best defensive and penalty killing teams in the league. Yes, they do have Lundqvist, but their blueline is nothing special, outside of Staal: Rozsival, Redden, Girardi, Morris, Mara.

Staal is by far the best defenseman on one of the best defensive teams in hockey, he's only 22, and he hasn't even been given the chance to show what he can do offensively. He hasn't gotten PP time yet, and he wasn't usually given free reign to do what he wanted with the puck, especially under Renney. He may not become an elite offensive defenseman, but he's already an elite defensive defenseman with the ability to become a very solid offensive defenseman, as well.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Boondock

the only way I see anything like this happening is if NYR add their 1st rounder, then to me it looks something like this:

#7 = Staal (more or less)
Kabs = Dubinsky (more or less)
Stralman > Reddens contract - so add a 1st to balance

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:19 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just a wet dream from the Toronto side. Dubinsky and Staal? Come on, if Rangers do this, they are crazier than I thought they were.

In a cap world, you're giving a Kaberle who might leave in 1 year, Stralman who still is unproven and a prospect for 2 of your best young guys you had in a long time only to get rid of Redden's salary? No way does Sather admits his mistake by on top of that having to give 2 great kids in the process. Eat it up Sather. Way better than to have to give both kids up.
Kabs still has 2 years left on his contract at 4.25 million per year which is an absolute steal...

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:22 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I forgot Redden's contract ended next season.

Oh wait.

Cowen (assuming he is still there at 7) will be better than Staal too. I don't have any doubts about that either.
right, a guy that is actually still injured with a torn acl will be better than staal. staal has also maxed out his potential at the age of 22. a big **** no from rangers fans. reddens contract sucks but hes still a top 4 defenseman.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote