HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dreger: Redden, Staal, Dubinsky for Kaberle, Stralman, Leafs 1st

Old
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

vCash: 500
Just to add a couple of more points.

-The Leafs were even more handcuffed with the McCabe contract because he had a "no movement clause." They couldn't bury him in the minors and at least have the relief of not having his salary count against the cap

-The biggest problems other teams like New Jersey have created is that when they buried a guy like Mogilny in the minors, they did not put him through re-entry waivers. The Devils didn't give Mogilny a chance to play for any of the other 29 teams. They would've been relieved of half his salary, but they didn't want the cap-hit for half his salary. That's where Mogilny got royally screwed and I would expect the Rangers to at least give Redden a chance to catch on elsewhere for half-price if they're desperate to rid themselves of the contract.

Any way you slice it, it's a bad contract and the Rangers are going to have to feel some pain for it.

But the pain won't be in the form of giving up their best young players just to dump a contract.

There are other less painful remedies for the Rangers, such as swallowing the monetary loss rather than the young player loss.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
grabo84

Of course, Sather likely wouldn't want to/couldn't admit he was wrong to that extent in signing Redden, which might explain the offer. Still, this doesn't make the trade any better from the Leafs end - there's no doubt in my mind that MLSE would not bury Redden's contract in the minors.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 01:44 PM
TheRedressor

eh just keep Redden. It's not worth losing Staal and Dubinsky just to dump his salary. He is still a good #3-4 defenseman.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:24 PM
azrok22

Quote:
eh just keep Redden. It's not worth losing Staal and Dubinsky just to dump his salary. He is still a good #3-4 defenseman.
Agree 100%. The Rangers already freed up $4 million due to Naslund's retirement... move Rozsival for a mid round pick/prospect and you have $9 million to work with, not to mention the space saved via replacing Mara/Kalinin with our young d-men or other cheaper alternatives.

Absolutely no reason to give up Staal or Dubinsky just to move Redden at this time.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
losing staal a dubinsky? it almost like you guys are getting nothing back in the deal.

you're getting back one of the better puck movers in the league after the lockout + a top 10 first.

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 02:56 PM
azrok22

Personally, I'd rather have Staal and Dubinsky.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Really? Other than him pointing out no one outside of Long Island is a credible source of information, I have no idea what you are talking about. But that's probably because I don't make up my opinions on players without having watched them first.

Also, you were absolutely destroyed and I knew there wouldn't be a response from you regarding embracedbias's reply.
why would there be, he gave valid reasons for them and I respect that he has a right to his opinion, I may not agree with it totally, just like I dont always agree with you, but I aint gonna disrespect him just because we disagree. if you read further in the thread you would see we agreed as to the theory, just not the respective values, there's no shame in that.

Grabo84 and I disagree too but I repect him a ton, because I know he's trying to see where I'm coming from, and I learn from him with every post.Its just a matter of knowing who your dealing with

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote