HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boris Valabik

Old
05-24-2009, 11:50 PM
FutureConsiderations

vCash: 500
Boris Valabik

Thrashers fans? Bueller?

Big guy and all that brings with it. Almost no offense, but has reach, size (not just height), defensive ability, and intimidation. He's not Chara or Pronger but he's not Hal Gill either.

Assuming Ward is traded (likely at this point) Boston will, outside of Chara, have exactly one defenseman over 6'0" (Mark Stuart at 6'2") and those two were their best defensive defensemen bar none. Some nights Stuart was outplaying Chara by a good margin.

But Hunwick and Ference are small, Wideman is effective but soft, and two big dogs weren't enough to get it done against bigger forwards in the Carolina series. The need for size is great. Chiarelli always thinks the B's need to get bigger up front, but they do have to get bigger on the backend.

Further, there are reports that Valabik really looks up to Chara as another freakishly tall Slovak and the two train in the offseason (which might be awkward after Chara pummeled him this year).

So for a guy who has a lot of question marks, that's my case that Boston is the best place for him.

Now what would Atlanta want? Ward would probably be in the package and likely Kobasew too.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 11:51 PM
AK

A third or a fourth round draft pick.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:02 AM
fatschoonerrat

He still has a lot of potential upside. Nobody here thinks he will be Chara, but he could be a Pronger-like presence on the ice. We're wishing he will be, and I wouldn't give up on him yet. It would be interesting to have him working with Chara, but I think that's more nostalgic than anything.

I'd say he has 2nd pairing potential, so he'd be worth a prospect with 2nd pairing D or 2nd line offense. Worth a high 2nd at this point b/c of his potential, though it would be a gamble. I see him more as icing on a deal b/c of whatever some GM sees in him rather than what he might be worth right now on his own b/c he's still so unpolished.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
blackcoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
He still has a lot of potential upside. Nobody here thinks he will be Chara, but he could be a Pronger-like presence on the ice. We're wishing he will be, and I wouldn't give up on him yet. It would be interesting to have him working with Chara, but I think that's more nostalgic than anything.

I'd say he has 2nd pairing potential, so he'd be worth a prospect with 2nd pairing D or 2nd line offense. Worth a high 2nd at this point b/c of his potential, though it would be a gamble. I see him more as icing on a deal b/c of whatever some GM sees in him rather than what he might be worth right now on his own b/c he's still so unpolished.
This makes no sense. Pronger has had a way better career than Chara, and I'd argue that this season was the only one where Chara even outplayed Pronger.

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Thrashers fans? Bueller?

Big guy and all that brings with it. Almost no offense, but has reach, size (not just height), defensive ability, and intimidation. He's not Chara or Pronger but he's not Hal Gill either.

Assuming Ward is traded (likely at this point) Boston will, outside of Chara, have exactly one defenseman over 6'0" (Mark Stuart at 6'2") and those two were their best defensive defensemen bar none. Some nights Stuart was outplaying Chara by a good margin.

But Hunwick and Ference are small, Wideman is effective but soft, and two big dogs weren't enough to get it done against bigger forwards in the Carolina series. The need for size is great. Chiarelli always thinks the B's need to get bigger up front, but they do have to get bigger on the backend.

Further, there are reports that Valabik really looks up to Chara as another freakishly tall Slovak and the two train in the offseason (which might be awkward after Chara pummeled him this year).

So for a guy who has a lot of question marks, that's my case that Boston is the best place for him.

Now what would Atlanta want? Ward would probably be in the package and likely Kobasew too.
Not sure what you mean by that, because I'd guess hes not as good as Gill.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:19 AM
blankspace6

Valabik's potential is currently worth more than we'd receive in trade because of his performance. He's a bit of a longer term project.

Here's hoping DW actually knows this and hangs onto him.

blankspace6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Atlanta needs are as follows:

1. Defensive defenseman
2. Top 6 Right Wing
3. No. 1 Center

Trading away Valabik will create a bigger need for a defensive defenseman and given the Thrashers have put a lot of time developing over the past few seasons, I don't think he gets moved unless the return is outstanding.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:26 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
This makes no sense. Pronger has had a way better career than Chara, and I'd argue that this season was the only one where Chara even outplayed Pronger.
I see them as different types of players. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Chara has more of a balanced game. I think Valabik could work into being a staunch stay-at-home defenseman, but I don't think his puck skills are anythink like Chara's. Maybe I'm underrating Pronger's offensive skills.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Magnus Fulgur

DW wants to keep Valabik. He sees the D composed of three offensively driven guys (Hainsey, Bogosian, and Enstrom) and two stay at homers (Exelby, and Valabik). He wants one more stay at home guy especially since Havelid is gone.

Valabik isn't going anywhere. When he plays well, he brings a tonne of energy to the team.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:37 AM
The Pucks

I agree with Atlanta fans here, Boris has more value to them than he does getting traded. What has he done to earn trade value? Very little. Why give him away for a later pick. He still has what got Atlanta excited about him and caused them to draft him high, he is huge and mean. If they can teach him to play defence, a solid top 6 role, he will add allot to the team.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Atlanta needs are as follows:

1. Defensive defenseman
2. Top 6 Right Wing
3. No. 1 Center

Trading away Valabik will create a bigger need for a defensive defenseman and given the Thrashers have put a lot of time developing over the past few seasons, I don't think he gets moved unless the return is outstanding.
Just as a base:

:thrashers : Briere + Lupul + d prospect not named Sbisa

: Lehtonen/Pavelec + Valabik + small salary dump

I don't know ATL's finances or who they'd be interested in sending as that dump. Philly has some decent defensive prospects they might be able to send back , but they are all probably a year or two behind Valabik. There will probably be a few decent defensemen available in free agency this Summer (Montador is a big guy who could take over Valabik's minutes). So ideally this would leave ATL with two of their top three needs filled, with the first still unaddressed (but not necessarily worsened by the departure of Valabik). Philly's needs a goalie, someone who can play big in his own end, and cap space (they can probably absorb the expense of waiving/sending down a salary dump).

You strike me as a realist, what are your thoughts?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
Valabik for Zhitnik?

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:41 AM
ELab2

I'd definitely like Philly to take a look at him

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:47 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I'd definitely like Philly to take a look at him
Completely agree.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 02:00 AM
40oz

Valabik for Nilsson?

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 02:19 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Either Lupul Jones and whatever, or Briere, Lupul and whatever is quickly turning into the new Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 02:25 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Either Lupul Jones and whatever, or Briere, Lupul and whatever is quickly turning into the new Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.
A potential HF trivia question in the future, who was Montreal's 2nd round pick from the infamous Ryder, Halak and a 2nd era?

Danny Kristo of the US under 18 team.

He should get some sort of honorary designation or something on HF.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 04:02 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
: Ryder + Halak + 2nd

: Briere

: Lupul + Jones

Briere, Lupul, Jones FOR Ryder, Halak, a 2nd?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 06:30 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
A potential HF trivia question in the future, who was Montreal's 2nd round pick from the infamous Ryder, Halak and a 2nd era?

Danny Kristo of the US under 18 team.

He should get some sort of honorary designation or something on HF.
hah, the player that montreal fans actually didnt want?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 07:45 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I think Hal Gill is a low end expectation of what Valabik is going to be down the line, and with the Thrashers PK problems, and overall lack of size on their roster from top to bottom,...there is little reason for them to move him right now.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 08:26 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Just as a base:

:thrashers : Briere + Lupul + d prospect not named Sbisa

: Lehtonen/Pavelec + Valabik + small salary dump

I don't know ATL's finances or who they'd be interested in sending as that dump. Philly has some decent defensive prospects they might be able to send back , but they are all probably a year or two behind Valabik. There will probably be a few decent defensemen available in free agency this Summer (Montador is a big guy who could take over Valabik's minutes). So ideally this would leave ATL with two of their top three needs filled, with the first still unaddressed (but not necessarily worsened by the departure of Valabik). Philly's needs a goalie, someone who can play big in his own end, and cap space (they can probably absorb the expense of waiving/sending down a salary dump).

You strike me as a realist, what are your thoughts?
shot in the dark

you are a flyer fan?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
And Ryder, Halak and a 2nd were only a modification of the original Marcel Hossa, Ron Hainsey and a 2nd.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Hmm...well Atlanta does have Hainsey and a 2nd to give

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

trust me, you don't want valabik.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:33 PM
FutureConsiderations

Just to clarify, what I meant was that Valabik will never be Zdeno Chara but he's probably going to be better than Gill. I'd say he's not much worse than Gill right now and he's got a lot of time left for improvement.

Some interesting thoughts, though. Regardless of what happens, the B's need another big body on the blueline.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote