HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cap going down

Old
05-23-2009, 09:42 PM
HabsAtak

vCash: 500
What Gainey should have to work with...Dollar wise

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...preparing.html

HabsAtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Schooner Guy

Interesting article...thanks for sharing.

The possibility of a significantly lower cap by 2010-11 just makes effective drafting that much more essential. Hopefully we're finished trading 1st and 2nd round picks in the near future. Also, committing to Vinny Lecavalier's 10 year contract at $7.8million per season could be suicide....especially if we have to trade low cost young talent and early round draft picks.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
people with foresight have been saying it for a while -- it's just a matter of time before the salary cap becomes completely unmanageable for the majority of the league

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:32 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Interesting article...thanks for sharing.

The possibility of a significantly lower cap by 2010-11 just makes effective drafting that much more essential. Hopefully we're finished trading 1st and 2nd round picks in the near future. Also, committing to Vinny Lecavalier's 10 year contract at $7.8million per season could be suicide....especially if we have to trade low cost young talent and early round draft picks.
Reading between the lines i'm thinking that TB will be hurting even more if this article is true. With a few young guns entering their ranks ( stamkos and this years pick to say the least), i can see tb having to dump vinny only because they have to look 3-4 years into the future and the signing of those players. Vinny would have to be let go this summer to avoid the NTC.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
momotan

Not really news, it's been repeated several times this year that the cap will be flat/slightly down in 09 and take a big dive in '10. No idea why Montreal would even be mentioned as in trouble because they have more cap space currently then anyone else and only the LA kings and the habs seem to have set themselves up to be ultra flexible. Philly is the team with the biggest cap problems.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 10:42 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
Not really news, it's been repeated several times this year that the cap will be flat/slightly down in 09 and take a big dive in '10. No idea why Montreal would even be mentioned as in trouble because they have more cap space currently then anyone else and only the LA kings and the habs seem to have set themselves up to be ultra flexible. Philly is the team with the biggest cap problems.
I know it is not really news but many have questioned over the past week or so the validity of a CAP going down this year and next. So, I finally found proof in an article and not a TV show which I could not find links too.

The CAP may still be offset by the NHLPA invoking the 5% inflator clause but would that really be beneficial to them if the CAP is just going to continue to drop?

Old
05-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
And the Rangers. Redden, Roszival, Drury, Gomez = 26 millions of pain.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 12:23 AM
G Man 77

Habs will be in pain too if they re-sign Komi.

The article really gets it wrong as to who is in trouble... it's not that you don't sign any players for big money, it's that can't afford to sign the wrong ones to big money.
And not too many.

DET will be fine, they signed the right players... and that franchise has the advantage of players willing to take less to be a part of it.

MTL doesn't have that advantage, as for spending on the right players... that depends on the decision they take in the coming year.

You also have to draft like hell.. DET beats us, and everyone else, there too.

DET in trouble, yeah right.

If they're in for any kind of trouble, it will have nothing to do with the lower cap... but if DET's ecomony crashes Auto industry collapse.
If they can't spend up to the cap, THEN they're at a competitive advantage.

I don't think we're there quite yet.

G Man 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Kriss E

I don't get why they say the Habs are said by many to be one of the teams that will be effected the most.
Detroit and Philly I can understand, although In Detroit they all agree to cheaper deals.

But the Habs have a ton of cap space, if anything we're in great position cap wise. We have a lot of space to sign the players we really want to move forward with and bring in extras.

I'm extremely excited about this off season, I'm just anxious for the ''Sale'' issue to be resolved so we can start looking into next season.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 12:39 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

LOL Flyers
LOL Rangers

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 05:41 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takabru View Post
Yeah, I don't really see how it affects us that much. We are in relative good shape cap wise. Teams like Philly, Boston or Rangers could be in trouble.

Because of things stated in this article, I would be in no rush to get a Komisarek 5 million a season. Most I would go is 4 million. Many GMs be cutting back this free agent season. Be many bargains out there late in summer. Same thing happened in baseball last winter. The Burnetts and CCs got the big money but the Dunns and Hudsons did not.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Subban76

If I were the Habs, I would not spend too much this summer, unless some guys agree to low deals, and wait for next summer. There will be plenty of cheap deals available on the UFA market (cap will be lower and many teams being already to the max won't be able to spend) and great players available via trade because some teams will have to unload because over the cap.

If we spend it all now, we will be in the same situation as them. I'm willing to wait another year, have an average season with what we have, get a good pick and load up on players next summer.

Hamrlik would only have 1 year left and could be bought-out for $1.9M/year over 2 years. That would give us even greater flexibility and a better idea of what Weber, Obyrne, Subban and McDonagh can give us.

Lecavalier, if stillm in TB, could probablky be had for even cheaper because it's a matter of time before TB can't afford is contract. Nash and Kovalchuck are UFAs if not signed before then.

The only players I would go after this summer, is a D because the market as plenty of good ones.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 02:29 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Strange cause I heard the opposite, I heard the cap could go up next year, somewhere around 58M. They need to get this figured out cause teams are going to need to know where they stand before July.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
Strange cause I heard the opposite, I heard the cap could go up next year, somewhere around 58M. They need to get this figured out cause teams are going to need to know where they stand before July.
That's also what I heard a while back. Don't know if it changed or if it was just bad info.

One thing for sure, nobody seems to know what is going to happen to the cap as early as next year.

The league should come out to announce its cap asap.

Old
05-25-2009, 12:54 PM
MXD

Cap could be going down

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/?p=1200

...Sorry, in a urge.

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 05-25-2009 at 05:02 PM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Hermamoud

Gainey's crystal ball was pretty effective after all

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Kriss E

The original article that Brunet got his info from was posted here a few days ago.

Hope some journalist will come out to say how good it was of Gainey to not have anybody linked to big longterm contracts. Most of the teams that have players under huge contracts will be in difficulties.

Our team is in good shape, we just need to get this ''Sale'' issue behind us.

Old
05-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Newhabfan

Topic has been posted already on the "trade" thread. Also has been discussed extensively in the "Business of hockey" board.

My take is that there will be a lot of "exceptions" allowed - you cannot imagine teams like Philly, Boston, San José or others to be forced to sacrifice useful players. They'll find a way out, like they always do.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:12 PM
saskhab

I don't understand how. Revenues were WAY up in Chicago, Washington, Boston, St. Louis and stayed very strong in Canada, New York, Philly, and Detroit. Some markets went down (most notably Denver, a little in Dallas), but they generally were low revenue generators to begin with and should've been more than offset with the aforementioned gains in those big markets. I'll believe the cap is going down when it is actually announced... it doesn't add up unless the NHL lost a LOT of sponsorship money that hasn't been reported to date.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Well at least we are in a very good situation right now compared to many other teams and can sign players for a bit less going forward

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:25 PM
HabsAtak

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
I don't understand how. Revenues were WAY up in Chicago, Washington, Boston, St. Louis and stayed very strong in Canada, New York, Philly, and Detroit. Some markets went down (most notably Denver, a little in Dallas), but they generally were low revenue generators to begin with and should've been more than offset with the aforementioned gains in those big markets. I'll believe the cap is going down when it is actually announced... it doesn't add up unless the NHL lost a LOT of sponsorship money that hasn't been reported to date.
It kind of does add up though because the CAD dollar slipped a lot during the year. That has a huge affect on the amount of money the 6 Canadian teams contribute to the HRR since they need to convert ticket sales and what not to USD. And since the 6 Canadian teams contribute around 30% of all HRR in the league it will have a noticeable effect on the overall HRR.

Old
05-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Habs

Didn't we argue about this months ago, and certain people here said 'It will never go down!' .... lol

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Fozz

I suspect that most of these RFA's will get contract offer that their current teams won't be able to match: Krejci, Kessel, Zherdev, Dubinsky, Clowe, Zajac, Booth, Hudler, Barker, Versteeg, Bolland, Stafford.

I hope Gainey goes after some of them... I especially like Stafford, Zajac and Booth.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:27 PM
12jf54

Some teams are in deep trouble now...

Does the name Daniel Briere ring a bell ???

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 01:29 PM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takabru View Post
It kind of does add up though because the CAD dollar slipped a lot during the year. That has a huge affect on the amount of money the 6 Canadian teams contribute to the HRR since they need to convert ticket sales and what not to USD. And since the 6 Canadian teams contribute around 30% of all HRR in the league it will have a noticeable effect on the overall HRR.
But the ticket prices also went up in 2008-09 over 2007-08, so that should offset some of the revenue drop from the exchange rate. I'm very curious to see how the cap could actually have dropped when ticket revenue should've increased.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote