HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey/Stuff To Do Around Temple U.

Old
05-28-2009, 08:07 PM
HappyKappy

vCash: 500
Hockey/Stuff To Do Around Temple U.

Hey guys, was hoping someone could let me know how and where you guys play hockey around Temple. I just moved in around 3 days, left my car at home, and can't figure out where to play. Also, any good bars/nightlife around here? Any help would be appreciated.

HappyKappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 09:24 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
I play roller at Marple Sports Arena which is a little less than 40 minutes non-rush hour and there's also Sports Plex in Feasterville. Good leagues are tough to find so you have to drive to play in them. I know there is a rink in the Northeast off Grant Ave but I forget the name. It might be attached to some bowling alley. Don't think they have leagues anyway. Temple also has some kind of tournaments on their outdoor rink in front of the Pavillion occasionally but i've never participated. My roommate was telling me about an outdoor rink on Columbus Blvd but I know nothing about it.

Temple itself has club roller and ice hockey you have to look into it with the rec services.

Nightlife outside college parties is limited to Pubb Webb and Draught Horse over on Ceceil B Moore and there's always Maxis on Liacourus walk. The bars on Spring Garden (McFaddens, Buckheads Saloon, Finnegan's Wake) are the closest.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2009, 09:59 PM
flyers ltd

The area around Temple is the epicenter of the Flyers fan base so you should have no issue finding hockey stuff to do.

flyers ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers ltd View Post
The area around Temple is the epicenter of the Flyers fan base so you should have no issue finding hockey stuff to do.
I'm really questioning the belief that North Philly is the epicenter of the Flyers fan base...lots of Flyers fans, sure, but not sure this claim is true.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 08:37 AM
JSTAFF

As far as bars ON TEMPLE CAMPUS, your pretty much ****ed. During the school year the bar scene is obsolete on campus because so many people commute to this school. Also, people over 21 generally move far away from that area and move towards Fairmount/Northern Liberties/Manayunk.

Pubb Webb is filled with bums from the streets compiled with a few college kids here and there. During school year a bunch of ***** are usually there on weeknights trying to get banged, so if thats what ur looking for, easily accomplished here.

Draught Horse is over priced, bad food, combined with overpriced drinks. They have 19" box TV's and on a Friday night you will see about 10 people in the bar.

Maxi's has good pizza, very small bar tho, not many people around there.

As far as hockey scene, I only know of the tournaments that Temple has throughout the year and intramural / club hockey. I played on Temple's team for a bit and I know they have practices and play games up the road, but you can usually bum a ride with someone else.

If you have any questions you can PM me, I graduated from there last year.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2009, 09:39 AM
flyers ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm really questioning the belief that North Philly is the epicenter of the Flyers fan base...lots of Flyers fans, sure, but not sure this claim is true.
ya got me

Old
05-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Jester

Quote:
ya got me
Temple students certainly are Flyers fans...but I'm not sure the rest of North Philly cares all that much. I would actually be curious what type of ratings the Flyers draw up there.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Um...no it's not.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:54 AM
DUHockey9

After playing club roller hockey for Drexel for five years, I suggest joining Temple's team (if you're into Roller Hockey). Collegiate Roller Hockey is great.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 11:17 AM
flyers ltd

May I suggest an hfboards field trip to North Philly to assess the sincerity of my statement?